Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making a living out of enjoying a MMORPG...

13»

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    A game that players "make a living on" presents a massive problem that will prevent them from ever being especially popular. The problem - your achievements in game have to feel like they have meaning and when many players are purchasing that meaning with real life money, it destroys the appeal of the game for the average player.

See the cries of p2w in any game with a cash shop. If there is any competition over pve or especially pvp, those cries become howls and an eventual exodus results.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    So play a game to earn your livings than earn your livings to play a game ?
    Then where should i have fun ?
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited June 2016
    Second Life.  Start your own digital business and make real life money.  This game is pretty much the future.  
    The difference is, SL is a virtual world and not necessarily a game.  An MMO is primarily a game with objectives.

As i've been saying for a couple years now, MMOs should evolve like that.  User-generated content is the future, but only if the developer tools become easier to use.  Landmark was almost there, but it also had other problems to deal with.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Gaendric said:
    One problem with it is that only very few players will make decent money. Most won't. Otherwise it wouldn't be sustainable.
    Thus if your main marketing gimmick is "If you put in some effort you can make good money while playing" it could backfire when all those players realize the claims are not true at all.

If it's a side feature and you market it as "have a chance at eventually making some side cash", sure, why not. But I would be careful with the heavyhanded overpromising.

It can not be emphasised enough.  That if you have the skills/ability/drive to de well on new media income(second life/youtube/blogging/whatever)...   You have the skills/ability/drive to do much better somewhere else.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    edited June 2016
    Kopogero said:
    In first place, people in poorer areas of the world who think $1 an hour is a good wage, don't have access to basic resources, far less to a computer, especially one that can run the game and decent internet, and the fact they will be paying fees from box to monthly sub to the game for access, makes it even less affordable.
    You're very very WRONG.

There are millions upon millions of people earning 1-2$/h wage that have PC and internet connection that is able to play newest MMORPGs. 

Besides "games" like you're describing ALREADY exist for long years with Entropia Universalis, Second Life and EVE among others being prime examples.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Forgrimm said:
    Didn't Blizzard already try that with Diablo 3?
    Yeh, and it was great for some to make money, but bad for the game. Hence, it is no more. 
  • SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Kopogero said:
    In first place, people in poorer areas of the world who think $1 an hour is a good wage, don't have access to basic resources, far less to a computer, especially one that can run the game and decent internet, and the fact they will be paying fees from box to monthly sub to the game for access, makes it even less affordable.

At the end the more people are playing the game the better since it will generate more revenue and more also doesn't mean just more sellers, but also more in demand to buy things from others.

Whats to stop someone like me for instance who lives in a developing near 3rd world country (retired) from killing it? I could drop $10k tomorrow for that game you talk about setting up a shop where I am with a business line internet and 30 computers and hire locals where I live at $7 a day 10-12 hours a day no problem. If its a game I could probably even get bunch of young guys around here to do it for free as they will pay over here $0.50 an hour to play DOTA and LoL at the local internet cafes.

Think any in the US or other developed countries could compete with that or stop me from killing whatever market by mass flooding it? Are you happy making $0.50c an hour while I can get that labor for free since its a game and with 30 computers that's $15 an hour for me in a country the average daily wage is less then $5 and I could keep it running probably 20 hours a day even. I'd be making over $6k a month, recover my investment in less then 2 months and after that $6k a month is still in the profit while monthly expenses would be a couple hundred dollars at best. Best thing I do barely any work myself other than counting the cash and managing a few things.