Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More active steam players atm than TERA, NWO or ESO <3

treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269
Very nice start for Wildstar on Steam in its first weekend after Steam Release. I hope this trends continues. With the new Game Director letter posted in the forums today and the very near future roadmap shared, the future looks good for the game it seems.

Hermod

Comments

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    DMKano said:
    Look at the all time peak though.... that's a lot more telling than current players.

Also one thing where Steam stats fails for games that have their own 3rd party launchers - it's easy to just use the launcher and bypass steam entirely.

Well, at least he tried..

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I wish WS luck and have been playing again the last days but using steam numbers is kind of narrow sighted.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited June 2016
    The peak number needs to go higher; 3k for a f2p title.

The TESO number is meaningless - a legacy from the time when ESO sold the PC version through Steam prior to going b2p / launching on console. Most people play via Zenimax - as evidenced by Zenimax re-iterating "millions". Even that looks better than WS atm though as it is a stable number.

Ditto Neverwinter. And Trra looks much better.

Wonder what the deal with Steam is. Have NCSoft "guaranteed" not to close WS for - maybe - "at least a year". You would hope so for the sale of the players.

Hopefully it will gain some traction.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Aori said:
    DMKano said:
    Aori said:
    Meanwhile Tree of Savior has more than all 4 combined.

Meanwhile DOTA2 peaked at almost 1million users today ;)

(shameless plug - yes I play DOTA2)
    Tree of Savior is actually an MMO though, at least make your plug fit.
    His plug does fit actually. We are talking about games on steam, right?

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    WS never had any problems in attracting players. It has huge problems keeping the majority of attracted players.

I hope steam can remedy this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Wildstar has always had a player retention problem.  I just don't see it growing anymore, even with Steam players.
  • treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    edited June 2016
    DMKano said:
    Look at the all time peak though.... that's a lot more telling than current players.

Also one thing where Steam stats fails for games that have their own 3rd party launchers - it's easy to just use the launcher and bypass steam entirely.

All time peak is not a good comparing indicator now as Wildstar has been in Steam two days compared to the other mmos i listed (years). Even more, all time peak is bad as you could have had 20k players 1 year ago but the last 4 months your max is 1000 and it will still show 20k. So I think the best is to check actual (days and weeks) data so that is what I did. And I only said it is a good starting data, nothing more, I did not say that this proves Wildstar has overall (steam and not steam) more population, just limiting my argument to Steam which by the data shown, it is true.

lets hope new incoming updates, good reviews and some marketing makes the game go even better

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Nobody plays ESO through Steam..
    DMKano said:
    treyu86 said:
    DMKano said:

All time peak is not a good comparing indicator now as Wildstar has been in Steam two days compared to the other mmos i listed (years). So I think the best is to check actual (days and weeks) data so that is what I did. And I only said it is a good starting data, nothing more, I did not say that this proves Wildstar has overall (steam and not steam) more population, just limiting my argument to Steam which by the data shown, it is true.

lets hope new incoming updates, good reviews and some marketing makes the game go even better

The peak happens at launch so within the first week or so.

This weekened will be Wildstar's peak on steam.
    That is why I clearly said "start". And on the other hand, your statement does not have to be true always. You can update a game and do marketing and have good reviews so more people can try your game, more if the game is not well known yet or has improved a lot in the last years so people have to try it to prove it. In this scenario, population can increase little by little and maybe get to a constant 4-5k steam players as a start point to work in new expansions etc to attract more. Or it can only go down if the game really is that bad and end up closing. No one knows what will happen yet
    josko9 said:
    Did you read and understand the post? It was just comparing steam data, no asumption as general wealth of each game (steam and non steam) was made.  But in the case of wildstar, steam data is very relevant
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    It's having very good Steam figures for a game released two years ago, but of course people will hate anyway.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Thats a really low number from Steam charts. It currently has 3577 people on both 24 hour peak, and all time peak. I've been saying it for a while now, Steam is not the game savior it used to be. It got to a point where Steam is not a requirement for success anymore, only for distribution convenience.

Keep in mind that the biggest chunk of player in ESO at the moment comes from the addition to the console ports so steam alone clearly wasn't cutting it. Tera is launching on console too which will make the player base grow as well overall.

3k+ people coming from steam(including existing players who re-downloaded the game on Steam) is not really a success for Wildstar unless that number grows exponentially and mostly from new players.

Good luck too them.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited June 2016
    treyu86 said:
    DMKano said:

All time peak is not a good comparing indicator now as Wildstar has been in Steam two days <snip>

By the same token though the "average" user numbers are also a poor indicator as they haven't had time to fall.

Bottomline WS needs to do a lot better. 3k is not a "nice start"; if it had been 300k that would have been "OK". Hopefully for those that enjoy the game it will.

Edit: The Secret World might be the best comparison on Steam although it has only had one "re-launch" whereas this is Wildstar's second re-launch attempt. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Athisar said:
    It's having very good Steam figures for a game released two years ago, but of course people will hate anyway.
    The same thing happened with Archeage. It re-launched on Steam quite some time after its initial release. The first month Steam numbers were surprisingly high, then in the following 3 months it progressively dropped to a fraction of its first month numbers.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Forgrimm said:
    Athisar said:
    The same thing happened with Archeage. It re-launched on Steam quite some time after its initial release. The first month Steam numbers were surprisingly high, then in the following 3 months it progressively dropped to a fraction of its first month numbers.
    Comparing Wildstar to ArcheAge is like the worst thing that's ever been said about it ;)
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Aori said:
    DMKano said:
    Aori said:
    Meanwhile Tree of Savior has more than all 4 combined.

Meanwhile DOTA2 peaked at almost 1million users today ;)

(shameless plug - yes I play DOTA2)
    Tree of Savior is actually an MMO though, at least make your plug fit.
    His plug does fit actually. We are talking about games on steam, right?
    the last super bowl got millions or peoples last times... that a games right ?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    So, 3000 people are playing Wildstar, the game is saved! Huzzah :p
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited June 2016
    treyu86 said:
    josko9 said:
    Did you read and understand the post? It was just comparing steam data, no asumption as general wealth of each game (steam and non steam) was made.  But in the case of wildstar, steam data is very relevant
    Wildstar data is perhaps revelant because the game was never that much popular to begin with. Also it's retention rate is pretty bad.

I still fail to see what any of this has to do with ESO? Yes ESO launched on Steam just as Wildstar many months after the initial launch. However ESO didn't launch there because it was dying, losing players or whatever. They launched it there just because lately Bethesda is launching all of it's games there, and there were some vocal complainers how they want ESO on Steam. Sadly MMOs just don't work on Steam, Steam's launcher is horrible for any game that requires constant patching. Which explains why a very very low percentage of players ever bothered to buy ESO through Steam.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    josko9 said:
    treyu86 said:
    josko9 said:
    Wildstar data is perhaps revelant because the game was never that much popular to begin with. Also it's retention rate is pretty bad.

I still fail to see what any of this has to do with ESO? Yes ESO launched on Steam just as Wildstar many months after the initial launch. However ESO didn't launch there because it was dying, losing players or whatever. They launched it there just because lately Bethesda is launching all of it's games there, and there were some vocal complainers how they want ESO on Steam. Sadly MMOs just don't work on Steam, Steam's launcher is horrible for any game that requires constant patching. Which explains why a very very low percentage of players ever bothered to buy ESO through Steam.
    While i don't disagree that ESO is a bad comparison on Steam, i do disagree with your reasoning as to why that is, particularly as Steam handles patching very well, if you have it enabled that is, though in ESO's case, i doubt it would be enabled as it has a seperate launcher that does the actual patching, and that i think is why people tend to use the launcher directly, rather than through Steam, whether or not this also registers a player on Steam as playing the game, i am not sure, it might not, but either way the Steam client is only for the PC playerbase of ESO, and that in itself is split between the PC, XB1 and the PS4. There is also the fact that a great many ESO accounts were created well before the game appeared on Steam, so are obviously also not counted.
    Wildstars hopes may be on its success on Steam, but that was not the case with ESO, as Zenimax opted for the multiplatform release for its success.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Streaming trying to chase what's new for extra views? Odd idea....wont last long.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited June 2016
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but...I'm gonna rain on your parade.

ESO is a b2p title so that's not a fair comparison.
    Tera on Steam is North American version only and the game runs in 5-6 regions aside from America (it's region blocked outside of the US on steam)

They also peaked a lot higher at launch.

I hope wildstar does well enough to sustain itself, I hate to see any mmorpg close these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited June 2016
    I just re-downloaded the game on steam and i have to say im happy to find out that they added an option to attach the aim(reticle) to the mouse like an action game and just hold down left click to spam the basic attack builder.

The combat was the worst part of this game. Now i can play either with xpadder(for gamepad support) or just like any normal action combat mmo, without having to worry about the horrible controls it had at launch.

Good Job Carbine. I can see myself playing on steam for some time now that it has proper aiming.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    DMKano said:

I was going to point that out.
    All time peak it's probably the launch week of every game, and 3K for a launch is not that impressive at all.
    But I don't want to spoil the OP enthusiasm.
    I hope it gets better, NCSoft is running out of patience, me think.