Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game changed your mind?

2»

Comments

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Actually ... At first, I hated almost every game I ended up liking.
  • GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Marvel Heroes for me. 
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Some games take awhile to get into so sometimes it's hard to tell if you like something or not from the first 5 minutes.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    I didn't think much of Fallout at first.

Homeworld; fought the control and interface, glad I did.
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    WoW vanilla. It was my 3rd MMORPG, after SWG (Pre-CU, CU and NGE) and DDO. As a Human Paladin on a PVE server it just didn't grab me, lame and cartoony. Then I did Horde on a PvP server and I was hooked. Even as a carebear, I fell in love with the dynamic environment of a PvP server. On top of that, the soundtrack for the Orc/troll starting area was just awesome
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Lots of games have changed my mind 

Everytime i play a mmorpg that im hyped for  and think this is gonna be awesome it turns out to be a pile of shite  which is pretty much every mmorpg for the last decade . People say you have grown out of them or maybe they just aint your thing, but no they are just crap ill keep patiently waiting for the "chosen one" to arrive
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited June 2016
    World of Warcraft.  I was playing DAoC with an awesome guild and they were all in beta (we might have gotten a guild invite?  forget if they did that).  

I didn't even bother looking at it after seeing the cartoony look despite loving the Warcraft games in general.

Once I got past the initial look (and modern action figure looking characters), I liked it a lot and found it very enjoyable with the guild.  I was wrong about that one. . then later on I was right :)

LOTRO was another.  In beta. . didn't love it (I think it was the tutorial I didn't like) and never looked at it for a long time. . then wish I had because I got back into it too late.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited June 2016
    Both ways.

Started out loving ended up not liking anymore at all: 

7 Day to Die -- Poorly optimized. Tedious. Clunky mechanics. More zombies (yay) Poor update cycle.

I have to say . . very sadly, that I agree with this one.  Once the leveling and skill points hit, it died for me.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Gmaes change over time. Sometimes the changes are better, sometimes they aren't. IN the case of SWTOR, the game got better. In the case of WoW..........well, let's not go there.
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Every other mmorpg has a bitter feeling to its controls and gameplay while adapting.
    Some just have learning curve, and rest are just bad.

Archeage - Turned out incredible game, hellspawn publisher tho.
  • VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    edited June 2016
    I'm with Sovrath about Morrowind.  The art style didn't set well with me.  I also made the mistake of trying to do hand-to-hand combat (Khajiit character).  My hand was so sore/tired after each fight, I gave up.  I think I made it to Balmora before giving up.  About a year later, I tried again and fell in love with the game.

VG

• wiennaswiennas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    My recent,

I was expecting a lot from Rise of the Tomb Raider, I was convinced this have to be a very good game. Within an hour I started to think about control panel and deinstall function, damn a MacGyver in survival mode, even very good graphics can't bring me to play the game again.

I did not expect much from The Witcher 3, I thought ''probably some brain death violence...''even though it contains such stuff, the game did suprice me a lot with genuine actors, story,...did not see that comin.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Aethaeryn said:
    World of Warcraft.  I was playing DAoC with an awesome guild and they were all in beta (we might have gotten a guild invite?  forget if they did that).  
    ...Once I got past the initial look (and modern action figure looking characters), I liked it a lot and found it very enjoyable with the guild.  I was wrong about that one. . then later on I was right :)
    This is basically what happened for me.  Pretty much all of my friends moved to WoW when it launched, so I moved along with them.  But, frankly, I never did like vanilla WoW all that much.  I'm one of those oddballs who grew to like it more with the expansions.

Vanilla WoW was just way too broken.  The majority of the class specs were worthless, and one of my biggest complaints was mob density.  You literally couldn't go anywhere off the main road without getting jumped and dazed a million times.  Such bad level design.

I stuck around though with all my friends until I eventually got used to the game and things started getting fixed more.  I enjoyed the Warcraft lore and I actually liked WoW's graphics(I know, I know), and the combat and class abilities were well done, so I grew to enjoy it to a fair degree.  Though, it never did become my favorite MMO or anything.

Side note: The fluidity of WoW's combat and animations made it really hard for me to like other games I tried later, such as:  LOTRO, WAR, EQ2, etc.

Gmaes change over time. Sometimes the changes are better, sometimes they aren't. IN the case of SWTOR, the game got better. In the case of WoW..........well, let's not go there.
    I found WoW so underwhelming at launch, the only thing changes could do to it was make it better.  I liked it more with each expansion until they completely ruined everything.  I played into Cata, and for the most part I really liked Cata(the zones and revamped zones were great), but they were already removing any and all choice and individuality and what little community there was left.  I haven't touched WoW since then.
  • ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    BDO
    1st day :  Grind 100% - Enjoy 100%
    2nd day : Grind 100% - Enjoy 95%
    3rd day : Grind 100% - Enjoy 90%
    :
    :
    :
    :
    70th day : Uninstall 100% - Enjoy 100%

"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Shadowbane for me.  Absolutely hated it, especially when getting ganked but when I became better at it I absolutely loved it!

imageimage

• JafeeioJafeeio Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I usually don't put any more time into games when I start out hating them, but after several attempts I actually had a bit of fun with WoW. Same for FFXIV, I despised the early tutorials but the game just kept getting better and better.

I had a strong prejudice against Call of Duty, but when I finally played Black Ops 1 (Multiplayer) I enjoyed it a ton and still think fondly about it. This didn't make me a lifelong fan however, MW3 was considerably less enjoyable and Black Ops 2 not at all, thus ending my short venture into the COD world.

The same can be said about Telltales The Walking Dead Season 1. From the outset neither part appealed to me. Cutscene-heavy, quicktime-events, zombies, but after getting the game in a Humble Bundle I was blown away.
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Mass Effect 1. Tried 2 times to get through the first part of the game which is pure story (except for the short mission before where you actually shoot stuff) where you run around the Citadel asking questions and running errands. On my third attempt i pushed through and realized what an amazing game it was. Played through all games three times now.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    To the OP's question, yes. The game was GW2. I initially passed it over because none of the classes, as designed, looked like something that would appeal to me. But I fell in love with the Mesmer class once I played it. :) 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests