Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft movie NA mediocre sales opening day.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
Guess I'll report this before anyone else gets it.  The Warcraft NA launch isn't going too good.  So far there have been no sellouts in any cinema.  I'm thinking it is a below average first day for NA sales.
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Maybe 10 years ago...........
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    edited June 2016
    the theater near me had 4 showings
    2:35 pm -10pm Real D 3D.

11:25 am - 7:05 pm 2D.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Saw two huge lines outside theaters and thought wow (no pun intended) the WOW movie is doing alright.  I asked a worker are all the WOW screenings this popular.  He said those lines aren't for WOW they are for Now You See Me, Now You Don't 2.  He then told me there WOW screenings have been about 1/2 to 1/4 of the theater filled.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    People really think WoW is bigger than what it really is/was. Its big in the mmorpg world, but not so much compared to other entertainment franchises.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited June 2016
    Conjuring 2 has got off to a good start in the US.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4195&p=.htm

(And I strongly suspect that sumdumguy1 was talking about queues in the US and not China!)
  • patodio36patodio36 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited June 2016
    that shows shitty taste of US

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Celcius said:
    When clicking on the record sales link in the second article it sends me to the first. So the movie seems to make some kind of record in China but OP was talking about North America. I don't have any numbers myself but a movie can do poorly or so-so in some regions while be a huge success in others.

What would solve it would be if someone have the actual salesnumbers instead of wide estimates, neither you nor OP have provided any proof in any direction about NA. Then there is Europe, South Korea and other places where the Ip is popular to take into account as well.
    edited June 2016
    Loke666 said:

What would solve it would be if someone have the actual salesnumbers instead of wide estimates, neither you nor OP have provided any proof in any direction about NA. Then there is Europe, South Korea and other places where the Ip is popular to take into account as well.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4195&p=.htm

The distributors provide the numbers. Disney even corrected one of their last years numbers last week - so they keep it accurate as well.

The site is owned by IMDb which in turn is owned by Amazon.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    If they only would have made a Vanilla Wow movie Mark Kern and 200k more loyal followers would have gone to see it ...........
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scorchien said:
    If they only would have made a Vanilla Wow movie Mark Kern and 200k more loyal followers would have gone to see it ...........
    They should have titled it "Orcs vs Humans"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I believe they opened in Europe/Asia first because that is where most of their players are.
    edited June 2016
    Scorchien said:
    If there is a sequel though surely .... Pandaland and wirefu. 

And anyone who has looked at the Chinese box office chart might have seen a film called Mermaid sitting on top (huge). I have only seen the trailer but its by the same guy who did Kung Fu Hustle. And if you haven't seen KFH it is well worth tracking down (was released in the US but back in 2004 - unlike Robert E Howard's Solomon Kane (got a limited run eventually) another good film. 

Now if Solomon Kane was a human warrior in WoW ......
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    I took my son to see it today. Honestly, it's actually much better then I thought it would be. 
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited June 2016
    filmoret said:
    http://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraft-conjuring-2-now-you-see-me-2-weekend-box-office-1201770307/ 

This was as of noon. Far from failing. It is not huge or anything, but that doesn't really matter. China killed it with this movie so there is very likely going to be a sequel. 

A lot of great movies had shitty first day sales though, ultimately it depends on how it continues to perform. Not that this is a crappy first day of sales, all things considered they did pretty well. 

It would probably have better sales too if it wasn't for people letting critics decide for them if they like a movie. Movie critics are worse then game critics. Just look at Rotten Tomatoes and Meta Critic user scores....the contrast is hilarious. People obviously dig the movie. It is just not for people who don't know anything about Warcraft. It is pretty clear that it is a movie for the fans. As someone who saw the movie, and is a fan (not playing WoW atm though, only check out expansions) of the franchise; I greatly enjoyed it. It wasn't an amazing movie, but it had exactly what I wanted in it. 

Hopefully once the word gets around that it is actually a pretty good movie (friends telling friends ect) it will get bigger. 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    The sad thing is that China pretty much guaranteed a sequel.  That's sad because NA, the home country and a major consumer of the Warcraft Franchise, didn't sell enough tickets but China did.  It's probably because they aren't so goddamn jaded by mind blowing good graphics and cinematography, but here we're just like "Meh, CGI".

But then again, China also "saved" the Transformers and Ninja Turtles franchise too, so maybe I shouldn't be thanking anyone.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited June 2016
    Sales in Europe were very mediocre too, so not really surprising that's it's going to flop in NA.

If they ever make a sequel (which is still unlikely), I suggest them to do it only for the China. That's the only country on this planet that still gives a damn about Warcraft IP. We in the West have already moved on with better movies, way better MMORPGs, and so on..

Warcraft has a chance to get a sequel, but not a big one. They need to make 540mil first to break even. That means China alone will have to drive the sales way beyond 200mil if that is ever going to happen.

And if a sequel does happen, then what? Budget of 200mil? All video game movies that got a sequel failed miserably, because nobody wanted to watch a sequel anyway. They better end it right there, this will never turn into a movie franchise.
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Not a shock, movie was terrible. Terrible pacing, shallow and cliche characters (exception of Durotan, hats off to the people that made him, voiced him, acted him, etc., he was the star of the show), Garona stuck out like a sore thumb and the casting of King, Queen and Medivh are deserving of a Razzy. Blegh. The entire movie is one giant noble savage trope that has none of the charm of the original games to redeem itself with.

Dat CG, tho'....Pretty amazing, epic stuff. Worth a watch just to see the goooooooorgeous spell effects and the thoroughly impressive animation. But it's not worth the price of a ticket and it seems the rest of 'murica feels the same way.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Bleh I still cant find any solid numbers.  Guess when I wake up in the morning it will be all over the internet.  Honestly I don't get China.  They have half the world's population.  So when you are saying China you are actually saying half of the world.  They are also big on animated films which would help Warcraft.  But NA sales weren't too good and a lot of theatres said they didn't even sell half seats.  
  • ShrikeArghastShrikeArghast Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I'm cautiously optimistic that this titantic failure is going to finally sink World of Warcraft for good. It's, by all account, just a terrible movie - I have seen some reviewers actually calling it the Battlefield Earth of this generation. WoW has been an albatross around the neck of MMORPGs for too long now, dragging everyone else down to its level. If there's any justice in the world, this movie, of all things, will end the phenomenon. 
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I'm cautiously optimistic that this titantic failure is going to finally sink World of Warcraft for good. It's, by all account, just a terrible movie - I have seen some reviewers actually calling it the Battlefield Earth of this generation. WoW has been an albatross around the neck of MMORPGs for too long now, dragging everyone else down to its level. If there's any justice in the world, this movie, of all things, will end the phenomenon. 
    The money was not that bad. If you had no idea abotu any of the World of Warcraft or Warcraft lore then yes I can see how one could call this a bad movie.

But as someone that has played the Warcraft games and even World of Warcraft for some time. Having known the lore the movie really clicked and was a fun watch. Not a great movie by any means and I left with the feeling that they should have broken it up into three movies. It would have given the it enough time to develop and explain alot of the things that never where explained.

I can see why the Critics are saying it is a bad movie. Going in without knowing the lore behind the movie it ends up just being a very poor humans vs monsters movie. But knowing the lore really does carry the movie and feels in alot of the bits that never are explained.
  • husscoolhusscool Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Warcraft did 3.1 million thursday preview, 31 million opening friday and is currently 200 million worldwide after the first day of release. It made 46 million opening day in China. This movie will be a financial success with or without the critics and that is all that really matters. They will make a sequel and hopefully learn from their mistakes. I'll give another shot to a Warcraft movie. Why wouldn't I?? I want it to be good. Don't you?
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Really? You seem a bit bitter about WoW. Then again, what an easy target and easy opinion about the state of MMORPGs, so predictable.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Bad Movie = sink popular video-game franchise? LOl, wishful thinking?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson