Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game changed your mind?

DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
Have you ever played a game that you started out disliking, or even hating, only to turn around and absolutely love it?

If so, which game?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    nope

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I got this game free with a CPU. I hadn't played previous Deus Ex's but had heard loads of good things about them. It took me 3 attempts before I "got it". The opening of DE:HR just wasn't inspiring. I don't often play first-person games, so that was off-putting, then the opening area seems really small so it just wasn't interesting for me. 

However, on my 3rd playthrough I pushed on far enough to start getting into the stealth aspects and upgrading aspects. Then the story started to make vague sense and I got hooked. I think I probably played the first 2/3 of the game purely stealthy with an aim to never need to shoot a gun and pretty much managed it, then decided to switch it up and start blasting stuff. Both styles were fun. My third playthrough I'd started during my lunchbreaks, so was limited to 45min sessions but as I approached the end I started playing it at home and started hitting 4-5hr playsessions (something relatively unusual as I get older). Only thing I disliked was the boss battles. 

Dawn of War 2: Last Stand Mode

I enjoyed the campaign on DOW2 but my brother sunk hundreds of hours into the last stand mode. I tried it a few times and just didn't understand the appeal. Then, started playing it co-op with my brother, found a hero I liked and found a combination that suited my playstyle and fell in love. I've since bought 2 expansions plus some DLC to unlock more heroes and put in about 100 hours into just last stand. I've maxed out most heroes, got the achievements etc and still enjoy playing it. I retrospect, this is probably the only game that has motivated me to buy DLCs (tho, admittedly on sale, so spent less than £5 total).

Rainbow 6 - Las Vegas 2

I don't like shooters. Usually avoid them. Didn't enjoy story mode or normal multiplayer on this game. Then I tried terrorist hunt coop with my bro. Its awesome! Combination of some stealth, setting up ambushes, the dodgy spawning mechanics for enemies combined with earning experience to unlock new guns and cosmetics.....yeh, its brilliant! Admittedly, we did reach a point where we could clear all levels on realistic setting in a single session (2-3hrs) so don't go back to it often, but when we do it's still great. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    DKLond said:
    Have you ever played a game that you started out disliking, or even hating, only to turn around and absolutely love it?

If so, which game?
    Nope. There are so many games fun (to me) from the start (and i don't have time to finish anyway) that I won't waste time to give a game i don't like a second chance. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited June 2016
    Morrowind: first time I played it I didn't have a lot of time, accidentally hit some npc's in the starting area, was killed and didn't pick it up for months afterward as I thought it wasn't for me. Ended up playing it over 2 years and still play it from time to time.

Neverwinter Nights 2: was so difficult to get through some of the first game play as I hated the story points, the whole "your adopted", I didn't like the area where you were trying to get on the ship. But aftwards I pushed through that and really liked it.
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    FF14
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Nope
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I usually find the opposite to be true.  A game will start off pleasant and then turn into nothing but tedium and repetition.  I'll make this shout-out to Far Cry 2.

Sovrath said:
    Neverwinter Nights 2: was so difficult to get through some of the first game play as I hated the story points, the whole "your adopted", I didn't like the area where you were trying to get on the ship. But aftwards I pushed through that and really liked it.
    I think I would agree with the NWN series, in general.  When I first tried playing NWN the first time, the strange semi-realtime combat was a little jarring.  After playing games like BG and ID, etc., the drastically different play and appearance were a bit hard to adjust to.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, beyond that, at the moment.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    actually I guess I can say 7 days to die.

I thought, crafting is cool but that blocky shit and zombies? nope. Then I watched some videos after they smoothed out the blocks and now I am about 800 hours in the game :)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Don't you have to be bi-polar or something to be able to go from hating to loving a game? Not knowing much about a game and putting it away because you got frustrated trying to learn how to play it is something else entirely. It probably has happened to a lot a people and some people are just more willing to push past the learning before fun part.
  • heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178
    DKLond said:

If so, which game?
    The original EQ. I decided to be a half elf bard. Key words being dead, dead,and again dead then finding out I had a double experience penalty grinding. All my friends were quickly much higher level. Ended up playing till after $ony took over and ruined my dark versus light PVP server Tallon Zek. So you could say love hate love hate hehe.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    No.  If I hate a game, why would I keep playing it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    A game usually has to grab me early....I dont remember any that I couldnt stand early but liked later...Like many here I had the opposite experience where I liked it early and disliked it later.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    DKLond said:

If so, which game?
    black desert online.  hated the interface and the game during 1st beta.  but by 2nd beta i liked it alot.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    DKLond said:

If so, which game?
    Anarchy Online was the only one. Hated it at 1st. Fell in love with it after the tutorial.
    Every other game remained in line with my 1st impression.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Both ways.

Started out loving ended up not liking anymore at all: 

7 Day to Die -- Poorly optimized. Tedious. Clunky mechanics. More zombies (yay) Poor update cycle.

Started out not liking at all but ended up loving: 

Age of Wonders III  -- Love the game but I had a hard time getting into it at first. After about 3 to 4 hours I really started digging it.   

Both ways.  The OP asked the interesting question.  The opposite is boring.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Rift and ESO.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Witcher 2 was like this for me.  I started off not liking the controls, not really enjoying the combat system and I even deleted the game twice.  Then Witcher 3 came out and it was so incredibly fun that I ended up going back to Witcher 2 and I was able to fully enjoy it.  For some weird reason, the last time I played it, none of the stuff that bothered me before was an issue.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution.  This game was just the opposite for me.  The strange thing about this game, is that it literally ticks off every box on my "I like this" list of game attributes.  It's a stealth game.  It has an absolutely fantastic soundtrack.  There are multiple ways to play and beat most levels.  It has an interesting base story and some really cool cyber upgrades.

But for some reason I kept getting to about the China area of the game and then just quitting.  It's a combination of the forced boss fights, boring filler in the story progression, the piss yellow lens filter, the not so great graphics and the cover system which just felt all kinds of clunky to me.  I started out loving it, but hated it by a few hours in.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    H0urg1ass said:
    Witcher 2 was like this for me.  I started off not liking the controls, not really enjoying the combat system and I even deleted the game twice.  Then Witcher 3 came out and it was so incredibly fun that I ended up going back to Witcher 2 and I was able to fully enjoy it.  For some weird reason, the last time I played it, none of the stuff that bothered me before was an issue.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution.  This game was just the opposite for me.  The strange thing about this game, is that it literally ticks off every box on my "I like this" list of game attributes.  It's a stealth game.  It has an absolutely fantastic soundtrack.  There are multiple ways to play and beat most levels.  It has an interesting base story and some really cool cyber upgrades.

But for some reason I kept getting to about the China area of the game and then just quitting.  It's a combination of the forced boss fights, boring filler in the story progression, the piss yellow lens filter, the not so great graphics and the cover system which just felt all kinds of clunky to me.  I started out loving it, but hated it by a few hours in.
    Great insight. Both of those games were the opposite for me.
    Isn't that what's great about gaming tho?  It's so diverse these days that we can all find something we like.

For the sake of the great main story of Deus Ex, I did go watch all the cut scenes on YouTube later.  It did have some really great ending choices.

Not only that, but this looks a lot better to me:

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    edited June 2016
    Oh yes, LOTRO, ESO, Rift, Secret World, and SWTOR are two that come off the top of my head. I loved them. At first.

LOTRO.. well it's Lord of the Rings. At first taking part in the story sounded great. Until you realize that it's mostly fetch quests for most of the game and very little storyline. The crafting sucks. The housing is some of the worst in the industry being only slightly better than having no housing at all. 

ESO gets "more of the same" after level 10.

Rift is extremely restrictive, and offers only PVE and PvP, even the so called housing is a joke, as is the crafting. The crafting has always been horrid right from the start as you quickly outlevelled any crafting you did. The housing was an after the fact idea thats only slightly better than the horrid hooks in games like LOTRO.  

And Secret World is an online version of VTM Bloodlines almost to a T with the same technology apparent, and with about the same advances. For god sakes, your toon doesn't even blink or move their mouth during conversation, you just sway back and forth. It's like it's back in 2000 with how primitive it is, they just expanded it to include things like zombies (ala Silent Hill, and Resident Evil and not done any better than the ten year old games were). If I want to play ten year old games, then I'll go play the actual games. For a AAA developer, they could have done way better. 

SWTOR... I love Star Wars. Probably more than almost any other fandom out there. Star Trek comes second (hated STO almost from the moment I logged in as it's not at all from the original Star Trek but of the new horrible ones). I have a lightsaber that glows and makes sound when you hit it. Love that thing. And the game isn't horrible, it really isn't. I love the companion system, and the fully voiced parts of the game. But it is lacking somehow. It doesn't have the same incredible magic as the original KOTOR and KOTOR2. Not even remotely. And I'm not sure why. The new expansions almost get it right except that they eliminated the fact that you can have real conversations with people with animations and voice over (let's not kid ourselves, they did it so they didn't have to pay voice actors). I don't mind paying a fee to play it. But it was a very short amount of game play in a world where games can have hundreds of hours of replay. There are people who have clocked thousands of hours in games like Skyrim. This game does not have the same appeal. I don't mind the story either. The housing is only slightly better than LOTRO. The crafting a serious disappointment and some of the worst in the industry as YOU don't even really take part in it, you send your companions to do it. 

I could keep going. 

The only MMO I'm currently playing and consider worth paying for is EQ2. I haven't actually played any quests recently either, unless they were for an event (like Frostfell and the others). I mostly craft and decorate my house which I am enjoying immensely. Currently trying to decide if I want to go further with one of my housing designs or if I should start over before it goes even further. Best housing in the entire industry. Even better than Landmark where you have to buy absolutely everything but building blocks with real life money and I consider a rip off (I regret having spent $50 to become an explorer member. This is the game that has convinced me NEVER to spend money on a game in advance). 

I'm at a complete loss how you can spend multiple millions to produce exactly the same game by different companies with different graphics and one or two gimmicks and figure that you'll remain in business. 
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    As much as I am a fanboy of City of Heroes, I hated the game when I first started playing it in beta.  It was my first MMORPG, after playing FPS and sims almost exclusively.  I even yelled obscenities at my computer screen once after dying!

But one of my friends got on voice comm with me and walked me thru the basics, and once I adjusted, I really got to like the game.  I even wrote several player guides!

Now it is my favorite game of all time.  Go figure!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    SWTOR was that game for me.  Was so disappointed in the game when I first tried it out during pre-release.  I played for a month and then said nope, I wont ever play this again.  About 2 years ago, gave it another chance and now I love it. 

I thought the same thing would happen with ESO but as of now, I still can't get into it.  I have tried 4 times now since release and each time its still not there for me.