Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is next for Wildstar?

Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
edited June 2016 in WildStar

In 2005, a group of grizzled veterans emerged bruised and beaten from the hell of Azeroth. They were injured of body but defiant of spirit. Together, the seventeen became known as Carbine and henceforth they operated under the sole mantra of creating “anything but WOW”.

United by the indignities suffered at Blizzard and energised by their hatred of Warcraft, the Carbine team proceeded to spend six years tinkering with engines. During this period of whirlwind productivity, NCsoft took a break from shutting down their most popular IPs, and acquired Carbine so that, some time in the future, they could shut down their least popular IP.   

In 2011 Wildstar was announced at Gamescom. The hype train officially began its arduous journey towards Station Anti-Climax. “Hardcore” was the word and the word was “hardcore”, it was the response in interviews and the subject of advertising. At times it seemed the development team were suffering hardcore Tourette’s.    

Finally, in 2014 the moment arrived, the long wait was over; and, battling a buggy UI and poor optimisation, the players flooded in.

Shortly after came the reviews.  

Bill Murphy of this very site described it as a “polished, content rich experience that theme park MMO fans will go gaga over,” but tempered this view with the prophetic; “that doesn’t mean it will be loved by all.” He went on to use the following words: “about the size of a tweet”, “a real chore” and “sick”. The final score was 8.4.   

Angry Joe said something about it, but I couldn’t bring myself to listen.

Metacritic gave it 82/100.  

Then the exodus began. Nexus increasingly resembled a ghost town. There was news of lay-offs and down-sizing, and in August 2014, Jeremy Gaffney announced he was stepping down as President of Carbine Studios.

And here we are in 2016 with the launch on Steam. So what is next for Wildstar?  

Comments

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    edited June 2016

Depends. My money is that its success will continue to be solely based upon how loud the haters or lovers of the game are on various sites such as this. As history is proving that some companies can do the exact same thing as everyone else and make millions because of who they are and how good their hype is where as other companies that do the same as the past get broiled alive.

Wildstar's real only two major mess ups were their complete disaster of a launch and their decision to focus on what turned out to be around 3% of the player base. Aside from that, the game has top notch writing, amazing voice talent, talented world builders, interesting classes and game play yet will continue to get lambasted by the masses for entirely personal reasons. People complain about things in the game that other people find amazing. That is a personal issue. I didn't care for 90% of the movies that win Academy Awards but that doesn't make them bad movies.

Developers in this day and age are forced to fight on two fronts. First is the only real one that should matter and that is making a good game. Unfortunately, with the spread of the web and social media now they have to fight the war of public opinion where every single one of us knows that the most amazing, innovative, world changing person, idea, creation, whatever can be ripped apart and forgotten forever if enough people with personal issues with it take to the internet with their virtual torches and pitch forks.

Wildstar is an amazing game. I didn't play it at launch because they totally wrapped that around a telephone pole but I have played off and on since then and I can tell you that as far as an MMO goes it is clean, well thought out, brilliantly written and voice acted, with thousands of hours of enjoyment to be had. Now no, it is not for everyone. People want all PvP games, or all fan service games, or all crafting or RP or whatever and if a game does not fit their bill they would rather rip it apart than just admit it is not for them.

Now I have been in Wildstar since the Steam release and I can tell you it is hopping. There are people everywhere and chat is a maelstrom and you want to know what I am hearing a lot of. How did I miss his game? This is so much fun. I love the characters/writing. The community is so nice. So there you have it. It is an amazing experience for those that want to give it a chance and not listen to the haters that at this point just want this game to fail because it didn't give them what 'they' wanted. OK, it didn't. Not everything will. People need to let those it is working for enjoy it and stop making it their personal crusade to destroy something just to be mean.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I logged in to the game last year for the first time since beta. It was a different experience, things felt better and more polished. I played for a few days to gauge the community and I found it to be generally well behaved and chat was tolerable.
    The combat is fun, it's not new or revolutionary but it is responsive and although a bit different still feels familiar.
    The game offers an alright themepark ride, leveling is quick and not overly grindy. There are dungeons to be had and raids, and PvP.
    Player housing is cool and can be vastly different from one players home plot to another as there are tons of options to make it your own.
    The cartoon humor is corny but it's well written, I do find it a bit forced at times however.
    All in all the game needs to be looked at again and with the F2P price tag you have nothing to lose.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    it did lots of stuff right.. but way more things wrong. i just hope it stays alive so maybe they can fix it. it really has the best music of any game i've played and the world is stunning.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Its next step is Death and that journey is the best
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
     best music of any game i've played
    I do not find it the best but it has the ability to invoke emotions.
    The exile theme does make me feel I'm the underdog in a war we can't win.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Dakeru said:
     best music of any game i've played
    I do not find it the best but it has the ability to invoke emotions.
    The exile theme does make me feel I'm the underdog in a war we can't win.
    well most games i've just turned it off and played my own stuff.. in Wildstar i've never felt that urge.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Downloaded it today, looking forward to trying it out. Oddly, the Steam download wouldn't work for me so I had to download the client from the Wildstar site. From reading the Steam discussion page, it seemed that several people had issues with the Steam download.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Something for those that may not know, our local Gamestop still had download codes for Wildstar at $19.99. If you use the code when you create your account and before you create characters you can get 12 character slots and not have to just have the 2 slots you begin now. I'm enjoying just trying out all the classes atm. It's a fun and entertaining game for me atm. Will see once I get one to 50. Right now just enjoying the fun of it all, not to worried about powerleveling up. Which is weird because usually that's what I do in any game is power up to max level as fast as I can, lol.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    edited June 2016
    LOL "Anything but WoW" And yet it is simply WoW with action combat. Wildstar is not a bad game, if you are either 10yo or new to gaming. For vets its just too simplistic, easy, cartoony bullshit that is spewed out of every second company these days.

It made me fell like a freaking Disney add was going to pop and play at any moment. Maybe they were trying to be funny, but really it just made it feel like a kids game with a couple bleeped out swear words for plausible deniability.

The classes are about as meh as it gets, no idea where people are getting "fun" from. They are literally the same classes you can find in any mmo out today... so wtf.

Its one thing that does set it apart from being just another WoW clone trying very hard not to be a WoW clone is its housing. Truly a great housing system, everything else is standard or below though imo.

Its performance its terribad as well, like seriously bad. 6 core processor and a STRIX 970 with 16gb of ram and it gets 10-35 fps in towns and 20-35fps in the field at max settings? For a cartoon game? Yeah thats just bad coding honestly.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Xeno.phon said:
    LOL "Anything but WoW" And yet it is simply WoW with action combat. Wildstar is not a bad game, if you are either 10yo or new to gaming. For vets its just too simplistic, easy, cartoony bullshit that is spewed out of every second company these days.

It made me fell like a freaking Disney add was going to pop and play at any moment. Maybe they were trying to be funny, but really it just made it feel like a kids game with a couple bleeped out swear words for plausible deniability.

Isn't posting on a forum board a little immature for an adult like you?  Stop calling game childish because of the graphics.  Only makes you look childish.
    edited June 2016
    Horusra said:
    Xeno.phon said:

Isn't posting on a forum board a little immature for an adult like you?  Stop calling game childish because of the graphics.  Only makes you look childish.
    Sorry, since when did kids only post in forums? Also graphics do make it for kids or not, if it is cartoony then it is meant to look like a cartoon, kids like cartoons so it is meant for kids. Some adults like cartoons as well, but the majority of the cartoon market is children. SO if you are trying to tap a market, you try and tap the biggest portion of it, for cartoons it is kids.

Also it is a very simplistic, mindless game that requires little skill in anything, again perfect for kids.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Xeno.phon said:
    Horusra said:
    Xeno.phon said:

Sorry, since when did kids only post in forums? Also graphics do make it for kids or not, if it is cartoony then it is meant to look like a cartoon, kids like cartoons so it is meant for kids. Some adults like cartoons as well, but the majority of the cartoon market is children. SO if you are trying to tap a market, you try and tap the biggest portion of it, for cartoons it is kids.

Sounds to me like you are just confused and simply dont know what you are talking about.

Guess no one got the message at Adult Swim on Cartoon Network they were only for kids.  I know what I am talking about.  I am talking about someone that plays games originally made for kids but co-opted for adults, that plays a cartoon characters on a screen, and likes to judge others by appearances.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Xeno.phon said:

The classes are about as meh as it gets, no idea where people are getting "fun" from. They are literally the same classes you can find in any mmo out today... so wtf.

Its one thing that does set it apart from being just another WoW clone trying very hard not to be a WoW clone is its housing. Truly a great housing system, everything else is standard or below though imo.

Its performance its terribad as well, like seriously bad. 6 core processor and a STRIX 970 with 16gb of ram and it gets 10-35 fps in towns and 20-35fps in the field at max settings? For a cartoon game? Yeah thats just bad coding honestly.
    Performance is perfect for me. Not sure what is wrong with your machine. I have never had an issue since Beta with how the game runs.

The idea of gaming is to find your 'flavor' of game and then have fun with it. You do not find the game fun so it is not for you. For many people the game is fun.

The class the Esper. Is not like a normal class in most MMOs.

It is fine you do not like the game but to just call it "Not a bad game if you are 10 years old or new to gaming"
    seems petty and shows a level of immaturity on your part. We all have different games we like all for different reasons. If Wildstar 'clicks' for someone then who cares? Does not mean they are 10 or new to gaming.

Perspective would suit you ;)
    So it has one class that is different... great. It is a valid definition of the game, it has cartoony graphics, very simplistic gameplay, shallow mechanics with little complexity. That is what makes it a kids game, not just the gfx.

I have plenty of perspective, I judge games the same way the industry defines genres. If this and that then this. If it can be played by a 10yo, has cartoon gfx and silly family humor then it is a kids game.

I didnt say it was a bad game, its fine, but its nothing new at all (except for your one class ofc). Its just another casual MMO, nothing wrong with that if you are a casual gamer, I am not, so it was judged as not good by me, FOR ME.

It isnt my fault people always assume the game is being judged for all people for all time... despite obviously just being judged by the one person making the post.

If you are looking for WoW with action combat and some great housing, then it will be a great game for you. For me thats just not enough to make a for a good game these days.... FOR MYSELF.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Xeno.phon said:

I have to agree.

Zones are like stages in action arcade games, combat makes me want to visit a local game shop and buy a gamepad, every class is equipped with a 'template weapon',... Everything in the game yells me: "You're not a character in this world, you're playing a computer game". 

It's definitely one of the better MMOs, but only if you're ok with the fact it's not an rpg (at least no more than WoW).
    Xeno.phon said:
    Xeno.phon said:

Performance is perfect for me. Not sure what is wrong with your machine. I have never had an issue since Beta with how the game runs.

The idea of gaming is to find your 'flavor' of game and then have fun with it. You do not find the game fun so it is not for you. For many people the game is fun.

The class the Esper. Is not like a normal class in most MMOs.

It is fine you do not like the game but to just call it "Not a bad game if you are 10 years old or new to gaming"
    seems petty and shows a level of immaturity on your part. We all have different games we like all for different reasons. If Wildstar 'clicks' for someone then who cares? Does not mean they are 10 or new to gaming.

Perspective would suit you ;)
    So it has one class that is different... great. It is a valid definition of the game, it has cartoony graphics, very simplistic gameplay, shallow mechanics with little complexity. That is what makes it a kids game, not just the gfx.

I have plenty of perspective, I judge games the same way the industry defines genres. If this and that then this. If it can be played by a 10yo, has cartoon gfx and silly family humor then it is a kids game.

I didnt say it was a bad game, its fine, but its nothing new at all (except for your one class ofc). Its just another casual MMO, nothing wrong with that if you are a casual gamer, I am not, so it was judged as not good by me, FOR ME.

It isnt my fault people always assume the game is being judged for all people for all time... despite obviously just being judged by the one person making the post.

If you are looking for WoW with action combat and some great housing, then it will be a great game for you. For me thats just not enough to make a for a good game these days.... FOR MYSELF.

Sorry what "adult" game are you playing?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SacrotusSacrotus Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Xeno.phon said:
    Horusra said:
    Xeno.phon said:

Also it is a very simplistic, mindless game that requires little skill in anything, again perfect for kids.
    I don't post on these boards as you can tell by my post count but some things just need to be asked. So here it is: What game are you playing right now that requires "skill" and I mean more than aiming a mouse cursor and clicking mouse buttons or tapping keys? I have never found a game that requires much "skill" because frankly aiming a mouse, clicking buttons and hitting keys doesn't require much skill at all and can usually be perfected to a sort by doing it for less than a day. So again I ask, what game are you  playing that requires you to use so much skill that you feel the need to drop a senseless/ignorant comment on a forum such as the one you wrote?
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

If you think it is simple and basic then you did not play the game very far at all. Wildstar can be very hardcore. As I already pointed out with multiple examples.
    It is too hardcore for most casuals that is why it struggled to find an audience. (among other reasons, like combat)
     It seems simplistic and easy on the surface but the dungeons and raid content is hard. You obviously never experienced any of that.
    No you do not have perspective because you have little to no experience with the actual game. To have perspective you need to know what you are talking about. Wisdom is based on experience.
    You have very little experience with the game. Therefore your perspective is of limited value.
    Now carry on son.   
    If the game was all that great it would not be doing so bad. Seems the vast majority of people that have tried it have also came to the conclusion that is is not a good game.

Lot of reasons and those will obviously be different for everyone. But the final review of most seems to be "meh not for me"  Sad for those that like it and wanted it to succeed. 

Can hope it draws enough on steam to continue, but i would not hold my breath. NCSoft has a track record of closing MMO's that under perform. And this game is like the poster child of under performing.  

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    DarLorkar said:

If you think it is simple and basic then you did not play the game very far at all. Wildstar can be very hardcore. As I already pointed out with multiple examples.
    It is too hardcore for most casuals that is why it struggled to find an audience. (among other reasons, like combat)
     It seems simplistic and easy on the surface but the dungeons and raid content is hard. You obviously never experienced any of that.
    No you do not have perspective because you have little to no experience with the actual game. To have perspective you need to know what you are talking about. Wisdom is based on experience.
    You have very little experience with the game. Therefore your perspective is of limited value.
    Now carry on son.   
    If the game was all that great it would not be doing so bad. Seems the vast majority of people that have tried it have also came to the conclusion that is is not a good game.

Lot of reasons and those will obviously be different for everyone. But the final review of most seems to be "meh not for me"  Sad for those that like it and wanted it to succeed. 

Can hope it draws enough on steam to continue, but i would not hold my breath. NCSoft has a track record of closing MMO's that under perform. And this game is like the poster child of under performing.  
    Lots of good games have not gathered a large enough audience to consider it a success. People not playing a game does not make it a bad game any more than an extremely popular game does not mean it is a great game.
    Many people loved Tabula Rasa but it closed down because regardless of the fans there were not enough players to justify them keeping it running.
    Earth and Beyond was well liked but closed down for not enough players.
    Spellborn closed down because of a lack of players even though the game had it's fans.
    Then you see games like Karos and Knight Online and think, if they could keep going why not the others? Why? Western publishers.
     They have little faith in keeping a game open and fixing it to play the long term business angle.
     Eastern games usually get many more chances than Western games to fix or add to a game and try to salvage a poor launch or poor mechanics or just a refocus on better gameplay.

Heh , i see some people say this...umm stuff... all the time.  If a game is considered good by the market, (the people that play games)  Then it will get played and be popular. 

If it is like this one that  most people think it is an average or below average game, it is not popular, and so does not get many people playing it.

So it may be good to a few people...but that does not make it good. That is what happens.  The marketplace determines what is a "good game".  Does not matter what you or I ,or any single person, thinks of the game. 

We can argue the point i guess...but the market has mostly spoken on this game...and it was not  good news.