Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Gameplay Trailer Shows Sandstorms, Giant Bugs & More

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    LIOKI said:
    Great, another generic survival game. Ark in Hyboria.

I wonder if it will have an awesome tutorial area then drop you on your face when you leave..
    It would have something that most survival games don't have then. Since they seem to expect the people playing to provide the content.
    are you refering to the story?

snore
    Story, Objectives, Content, Variety and so on.

Most survival games just put you in a world and it's FFA with no other objective but "survive" to "dangerous" zombies when in reality they are quite easy.
    1. again..snore
     2. your knowledge of the survival game genre is outdated. There are plenty of pve focused crafting/survial/build games.
    3. regarding 'variety' these games have about 10000000x times more 'variety' the most AAA titles ever have had
    Since my knowledge is so called outdated point me to some of those so called survival games? Besides Ark obviously since it's the only one that I know that is adding any content nowadays.

Yes truly ton of variety.... They all have the same premises. Eat or die of hunger, Drink or die of thirst or simply die from people/npc. Such variety.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2016
    Bloodaxes said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    LIOKI said:

I wonder if it will have an awesome tutorial area then drop you on your face when you leave..
    It would have something that most survival games don't have then. Since they seem to expect the people playing to provide the content.

snore

Most survival games just put you in a world and it's FFA with no other objective but "survive" to "dangerous" zombies when in reality they are quite easy.
    1. again..snore
     2. your knowledge of the survival game genre is outdated. There are plenty of pve focused crafting/survial/build games.
    3. regarding 'variety' these games have about 10000000x times more 'variety' the most AAA titles ever have had
    Since my knowledge is so called outdated point me to some of those so called survival games? Besides Ark obviously since it's the only one that I know that is adding any content nowadays.

Yes truly ton of variety.... They all have the same premises. Eat or die of hunger, Drink or die of thirst or simply die from people/npc. Such variety.
    lol...THIS didnt not involve 'eating and drinking' as you suggest and if you actually ever played ARK you would know that game isnt either all about just eating and drinking

Xyson
    Wurm Online
    7 Days to Die
    Space Engineers 

come to mind instantly I can find some more if you like.

anyway. we both are way off topic

now if you are thinking ONLY MMORPGs keep in mind that for building/survial games there is 2...only 2 that I can think of, both of which are not heavy FFA pvp

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Everybody wants their own ARK these days.
    Everybody wants their own ARK these days.
    to be fair there were plenty of very successful games similar to ARK before ARK came around.
    I think for some reasons I am not clear on ARK has some kind of connection to the AAA space. Not sure how though. Regardless.
    yes.
    This game is taking the lead of the indie games

SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    LIOKI said:

snore

1. again..snore

lol...THIS didnt not involve 'eating and drinking' as you suggest and if you actually ever played ARK you would know that game isnt either all about just eating and drinking

Xyson
    Wurm Online
    7 Days to Die
    Space Engineers 

now if you are thinking ONLY MMORPGs keep in mind that for building/survial games there is 2...only 2 that I can think of, both of which are not heavy FFA pvp

I said besides Ark mate.

Never heard of Space Engineers before. Wurm is imo way too old/ugly so I have no interest in trying it. Xsyon had some hope in it but it's pretty much dead and I was going to get 7 Days to Die but thankfully I waited. Most of them are barely getting any updates if any and that is my problem with them.

I'm not going to buy another early access survival game that doesn't come out of early access (Like Rust). The only one I have some hope for, is Ark.

As for going off topic? Nah this shouldn't be off topic since it's discussing about survival games in general.

edited June 2016
    Bloodaxes said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    LIOKI said:

snore

1. again..snore

Xyson
    Wurm Online
    7 Days to Die
    Space Engineers 

I said besides Ark mate.

Never heard of Space Engineers before. Wurm is imo way too old/ugly so I have no interest in trying it. Xsyon had some hope in it but it's pretty much dead and I was going to get 7 Days to Die but thankfully I waited. Most of them are barely getting any updates if any and that is my problem with them.

I'm not going to buy another early access survival game that doesn't come out of early access (Like Rust). The only one I have some hope for, is Ark.

As for going off topic? Nah this shouldn't be off topic since it's discussing about survival games in general.
    it is off topic. I personally dont mind it being off topic I am just saying it is.

If you dont know what Space Engineers is then your knowedge of what is going on in this genre (building/crafting) is pretty useless to be frank.

but I can tell you yet again these games have more 'variety' then AAA titles do by a LONG shot and there is a LOT more to them then just eating and drinking

So because I don't know of one petty survival game my point is moot? 

Gotcha, nice talking to ya.

edited June 2016
    Bloodaxes said:

its a bit like saying you know MMORPGs without know what WoW is

its a major game in the genre and if you knew the genre better you would know your 'eating and drinking' comment was silly. the games that lack variety of game play can all be found in the AAA market. not the survialist market

SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:

its a major game in the genre and if you knew the genre better you would know your 'eating and drinking' comment was silly. the games that lack variety of game play can all be found in the AAA market. not the survialist market
    If it was as popular as you claim (LOL as popular as wow), I would have heard about it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Regardless of the similarities to other Survival games, this is one of the few I personally find appealing. Not just for it's PVE elements but also it's setting. If I'm going to spend a bunch of time building, fighting etc.. I have to have a sense of connection to the setting, Zombies, Dinosaurs vs guns, Naked guys with rocks (RUST), etc.. just have no appeal whatsoever for me. Hyboria on the other hand does. I feel Funcom gets the atmosphere that setting needs, hence the high appeal.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited June 2016
    Distopia said:
    Regardless of the similarities to other Survival games, this is one of the few I personally find appealing. Not just for it's PVE elements but also it's setting. If I'm going to spend a bunch of time building, fighting etc.. I have to have a sense of connection to the setting, Zombies, Dinosaurs vs guns, Naked guys with rocks (RUST), etc.. just have no appeal whatsoever for me. Hyboria on the other hand does. I feel Funcom gets the atmosphere that setting needs, hence the high appeal.
    that is likely because you drink from the AAA koolaid. Which is fine, I am glad that these game features are finally coming to the AAA market for others to enjoy. I suspect 5 years from now we will no longer be debating on how such features are uninteresting because by then they will have the AAA stamp of approval

Distopia said:
    I'm with you man. I might give it a try once I watch some people playing it in the future. It entirely depends on the scope Funcom is going to envision the game's going to be taking. 

It's one of the reasons I bought in Gloria Victis Early Access because Mount & Blade Warband is one of the best games I've ever played. If Gloria Victis can manage to even get the combat right, that will be a very fun game for me. 

I love medieval games when done right.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:

Sean has a thing for space engineers...thinks it is something special and brings it up all the time.

Liking a game...great...but it is not all that special to most people. And it bothers him/her for some reason.

Anyhow, i would not list it as a survival game myself.. (Space engineers) other than you have to survive...which is ALL games:)

Kind of like this conan exiles. It really does not look like your average "survival" game either. Think that is the "new" MMO" that everyone likes to throw onto games of all types.  Stick survival somewhere in your game title or description. 

Just a very overused description dev's like to throw around now. Building and or crafting games are a lot better descriptions of what you do to survive in these games... but survival games are the thing right now..so we get them all called that by people.

This exiles game looks ok in the trailer...we will have to see if they can come through with a decent game and attract enough players.

Never get too excited over games until they are released.

DarLorkar said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Bloodaxes said:

Sean has a thing for space engineers...thinks it is something special and brings it up all the time.

Liking a game...great...but it is not all that special to most people. And it bothers him/her for some reason.

Anyhow, i would not list it as a survival game myself.. (Space engineers) other than you have to survive...which is ALL games:)

Kind of like this conan exiles. It really does not look like your average "survival" game either. Think that is the "new" MMO" that everyone likes to throw onto games of all types.  Stick survival somewhere in your game title or description. 

Just a very overused description dev's like to throw around now. Building and or crafting games are a lot better descriptions of what you do to survive in these games... but survival games are the thing right now..so we get them all called that by people.

This exiles game looks ok in the trailer...we will have to see if they can come through with a decent game and attract enough players.

Never get too excited over games until they are released.

what?

this is the first time I have mentioned space engineers in ages. you are literally just making up random shit now.

Torval said:
    Distopia said:
    If there is one thing Funcom gets it's immersion. They sometimes have trouble following through with that, but they do know what it is. I think they're very in touch in that aspect.

We'll have to see if it's yet another generic survival game like Rust, Ark, or made for console titles like 7 Days. I doubt it though. Funcom doesn't really do generic. That's one reason their games are so hit and miss. People either love or hate them.

I'm still interested in following this and I'm not a survival fan at all.
    yeah i doubt the game will have the depth of Rust, Ark or 7 days to die that would really surprise me if they did. I would be pleased for the AAA market if they did but I think that will come in the next game cycle so maybe 3 years from now we will start to see AAA games with as much depth as an indie

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    Distopia said:
    If there is one thing Funcom gets it's immersion. They sometimes have trouble following through with that, but they do know what it is. I think they're very in touch in that aspect.

We'll have to see if it's yet another generic survival game like Rust, Ark, or made for console titles like 7 Days. I doubt it though. Funcom doesn't really do generic. That's one reason their games are so hit and miss. People either love or hate them.

yeah i doubt the game will have the depth of Rust, Ark or 7 days to die that would really surprise me if they did. I would be pleased for the AAA market if they did but I think that will come in the next game cycle so maybe 3 years from now we will start to see AAA games with as much depth as an indie
    Rust, Ark and 7 Days or not that deep.  
    well they are not as deep as Wurm that is true but I would be shocked if this game in the OP will be more deep then Rust, Ark or 7 Days to die. But if it is that is a good sign for the AAA market

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited June 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    Distopia said:

Rust, Ark and 7 Days or not that deep.  
    well they are not as deep as Wurm that is true but I would be shocked if this game in the OP will be more deep then Rust, Ark or 7 Days to die. But if it is that is a good sign for the AAA market
    Play a Total War game or a Civ game and talk about a deep game. Oh all AAA by the way
    does Empire Earth count as the same level of depth? which by the way is a game that is slightly more involved and 'deep' then Age of Empires.

I ask because I have not played Civ.

I am currently thinking of Banished which (with mods) is more deep then Age of Empires or Empire Earth pretty much combined

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:

Play a Total War game or a Civ game and talk about a deep game. Oh all AAA by the way
    does Empire Earth count as the same level of depth? which by the way is a game that is slightly more involved and 'deep' then Age of Empires.

I ask because I have not played Civ
    Empire Earth is a good game but miles away from the depth of a Civ game. Some would argue the deepest games ever made.
    ok so for the sake of arguement given I cant validate it without playing it.

that is 1

have another? or you think this OP game is going to be like Civ?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:

I ask because I have not played Civ.

I am currently thinking of Banished which (with mods) is more deep then Age of Empires or Empire Earth pretty much combined
    Banished is ok. Not as good as Hearthlands imo. Banished is not really that deep. Feature deplete I would call it. I have 60 hours into it. Once you manage the disasters from happening there is little left to do. Even with mods the game lacks depth.
    I said 'Banished with mods' and I said that for a reason.

Banished by itself is actually shallow, with mods it gets interesting.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다