Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best parts of this game?

DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
I'm looking for the "right" MMO to play cooperatively with my GF. As in, the best duo MMO out there.

I really like ESO - but it turned out to be too frustrating to play as a duo.

I'm leaning towards SWtOR - even though I'm not really a big fan of that game, and I especially hate the engine.

As for FFXIV - I've only tried it briefly - and suffice to say I wasn't impressed. The visuals were so-so - and the world just didn't "do it" for me. But I keep hearing it's one of the greatest MMOs out there.

Can someone please explain what's so great about it - and how would it work for a duo? Is content doable with a duo?

Comments

• ellebishopellebishop Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Hey !

I play FFXIV on and off, still subbed to it. Its a great thempark, very well structured and players new can pick it up and learn their class steadily through a very stable progression. 

The pros in my opinion only are :-:

1. Leveling. 
    Low level content is still not phased out, so every character you level will always be joined by many otehr players on the map specially at peak times, doing fates together (group events like in rift or dynamic events like in gw2) 

All level dungeons are pretty active because of daily roulette which has rewards for high level players as well... i found this to break the patterns of monotonousness leveling a bit  and it does nto let you feel like the game is dead at any point.

2. One character for all! 
    In ffxiv, you need only 1 char and you can be any class on it,  regardless of what class you start off as.  All you have to do is find the Class guild in the main cities and take a quest to become that said class, then change your class on the go by the switch of your weapon, while retaining all the levels of class you were previously playing, which you can go back to anytime. 

3. Armory XP bonus:

Also part of leveling, in this whichever class you level up,  any class you level which is below your highiest level class in the char , gets a significant exp bonus which makes things alot easy .Making this very alt friendly, without actually having to create alts! 

4. Trinity and Group content:

I find ffxiv to be very organized in terms of its gameplay, strict rules of entry into dungeon specially when using DF , 1 healer 2 dps 1 tank for 4 man/woman (#feminism) content and 2 healers 2 or 1 tank, and 4 or 5 dps for 8 player content, and there are 24 player content and even 72 player pvp content O.o 

You can create your own party config too if you know enough players or are in a guild. 
    But the rule of the tank applies... only a tank can tank and only the healer can heal well enough.  can get back on minor strategies if in trouble ofc. 

5.  Community !

The community in this game is absolutely adoring, most players are very helpful in pug groups, some more than others ofc, but this varies on individual experiences. 

6. New player friendly:

Game mechanics are friendly for new players to learn, and the game itself has other provisions to practice your gameplay . You can yolo it and go into a dungeon tell the players you are new and learn it without many mistakes  (specially in lower dungeons) or can simply look at a video on youtube , quick guides of 1-3 mins long) and then be able to jump in.
    This may not be true for raiding content or extreme content, which requires practice and lots of coordination, but by the time you reach this stage you will have most figured out and how to go on about .!~

7. Gearing!

What i love is that the game does not make you feel like you cannot be top geared like most players who have been playing for years. everyone has the same opportunities i feel. You don't need to buy gearsm, you can play through your level appropriate contents and then gear approptie contents to progress steadily and get the BiS eventually, its something ppl often enjoy.  Gear scaling for lower level content is also very decent leaving no one out. 

8. Story!

I dont' usually care for mmorpg story, and usually skip or quick fast through quests, i did so even in ffxiv, but still got a good insight on the story through cutscenes and voice actings , if not as many was SWOTR (which i think is far superior in story telling). I enjoyed the story and the ppl i was playing with did too, and we often discussed some aspect of it in the guild chat !  even found myself get a bit teary here and there or goosebumps.... i'm easily wooed..what to say ...

9. Bit of content for everyone :-

The game mechanics are easy and hard as well, bit of everything for every kind of player... and a very indept form of crafting ..well fairly indept.. i may be overselling a bit.  But because of the dept i myself could not get into it :/ ..ik liever envoudig :( 

10: Develope:+1:

The love and care the devlopers show is amzing, this is a game that was rebooted and relaunched with a near complete overhaul because the previous version did not meet the expected quality standards of the franchise and in a way FFXIV ARR is formal apology to the ff player base.  content patches are steady and developer communication is outstanding,  it really feels that waht one writes on the forums ..matter.   There is a content patch every 3 months... atleast thats the track they try to follow. well worth the sub

My main post was too long, so i split it :( sorrieee!

Ok, now the CONS! In my opinion!

1. Burnout : :: 
    :anguished: 

I found myself hating the game after a few months of play and then not playing it for quite some timean d then suddenly wanting to come back to it and then off again ..... this is probably just because of how i am zzz:-1: 

2. combat     :-1: 

well.. its very "organized" too organized .... skills have  a GCD (Global cool down) and only a few skills to fill in between gcd , the combat could feel a bit slow.. when coming off of eso :o  (that rhymed) . and some classes can make you very static becase of inability to move during casting. while melee can menuever .. i did not feel like their movements changed my experience :(.
    Classes are variied yes, but they all seem to be balanced in a way that each class even with different mechanics.. seems to be the same in the end.  100% different in style , but end up like trying different types of bread  X.X like all 3 tanks and all 3 healers types and all dps types.
    In the end all classes come down to a rotation, to maximize output, and skill is required to effectively execute this rotation based on different fight mechanics. 
    Mastering a rottion can take some time, but ocne done then :/ 

3. Lack of variet: 

Build variety is alcking in my opinion, i may be wrong, but in the end it comes down to min and maxing a specifc attribute for best performance of your class, and ppl rightfully expect this.  So in the end all good classes come down to the same mechanics making no one very different from each otehr in gameplay (except classesand skill of execution) , hence i did not feel free to opt for variety builds, specially at the cost of competitivenes:-1: 

4. Bland :/
    The envrionments are bland.. sorry.... i know ppl will disagree... but damn.. it sucks after leveling your first char and then doing fates etc on alt, its going to look really bland.... even in the expansion, with flight... they ahve such beautiful zones and areas where you na reach only by flying...to find what ? a  piece of land cluttered with the same roaming mobs ebverywhere else... it feels useless a bit :(  and lazy. so much more to do.

5. Locked in your roles:
    A healer is only a healer a dps is only a dps and tank is only just that ( Normal content , in raids however a little of everything is expected , but dps seem to be just that)  This is not a problem for many, but it is for me, however the game is a strong themepark , expecting something else is not quite right .
    6. Progression :
    every patch it seems the gear cap is increased and players will need to grind more tokens to get bis, good part everyone can do this, bad part... this has become the ffxiv standard of progression :/  Atleast it come saccompanied with new dungeons... albe it with same or slightly diff mechanics xd

7. fight mechanics and Socializing.
    Once you learn fight mechanics, its pretty much following that till the end and passing the content.  80% of the time when you use a duty finder to do content, ppl will just go through the content and leave duty when its over.. Just like playign with AI :p

8. Leveling methods:
    Although players boast of many leveling ways,  (Mains tory for 1st char then fates blah blah you will know what i mena)  , but it gets pretty stale, i hope they work on more ways of leveling than just dungeons and fate gringinds or beast tribe dailies. 

9. Pvp :/
    There is PVP.... well... not owpvp , but instanced pvp with a different set of skills similar to your pve skills. with this combat system it feels a bit lacking.. but.... there is pvp... enuff said from me :/

well im sure i could list a few more,

Sorry for the long ass text :( also all my typos, english is my 2nd language. 
    Hope you are able to make a decision! Sucess!!

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    What ellebishop said is pretty much correct...

Main strengths are a very polished themepark, all classes on 1 character (though you can make alts if you really want to), a bit of something for everyone, and good speed of development (significant content about every 3-4 months).

Main cons would be burnout (yay, a new token grind) and basically no character customisation beyond visuals.

With regards specifically to playing as a duo, it's not exactly designed for it, with most content being designed for either solo (quests), or 4/8/24 players (dungeons, raids / trials, big raids). That said, you can do most quests in a party (though some a solo only / instanced), and as of last patch you can sign up to almost all duties (group content) with whatever number of people you like (within role requirements of course)... so as long as you don't mind not being attached at the hip 24/7, and running with a few randoms for group content, playing as a duo is perfectly feasible.

As a tip I would say roll Tank + Healer, or Tank + DPS to start... it will make duo work a bit easier, and (probably significantly) lower waiting times for duties. Also, while it ultimately doesn't matter, you will be stuck with your starting nation (and class) until level 15, so probably best to pick starting classes from the same nation.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Thank you both for your detailed answers :)

Based on your feedback, I'm pretty sure this isn't the game for us. I just wanted to make sure, though.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    DKLond said:

Based on your feedback, I'm pretty sure this isn't the game for us. I just wanted to make sure, though.
    :(

I know we both touched on it, but one of the best things about having all classes on 1 character (oh and dungeons also scale you down to an appropriate level, and continue giving exp / tokens) is that even if one of you plays more than the other (or has a head start) you can still do content together without it feeling like a waste of the higher level players time.... which, for all the MMOs I've played, is one of the best features to have for people that want to play together.
    acidblood said:
    DKLond said:

:(

I know we both touched on it, but one of the best things about having all classes on 1 character (oh and dungeons also scale you down to an appropriate level, and continue giving exp / tokens) is that even if one of you plays more than the other (or has a head start) you can still do content together without it feeling like a waste of the higher level players time.... which, for all the MMOs I've played, is one of the best features to have for people that want to play together.
    That's a neat enough feature, but more or less worthless to me. I'm very much a "distinct" class type of player, and I always know which class to play. I almost never play alts :)

As for scaling dungeons, that probably won't help if they're designed for 4 players. We prefer to play alone as a couple - and I don't like having access to dungeons cut off like that.

Unfortunately, the good parts you're talking about don't appeal to me - and the bad parts sound pretty bad.

I just wanted to hear if there was something I missed when I tried it, because I didn't give it much of a chance.
    Indeed , i can understand why you think that. The game's selling point is the PVE raids and trails and stuff.    Might i suggest Gw2 ? perhaps you have already played it, its more solo/duo centric and doign things in the open world is really fun specially with someone else. People love it or hate it, though i have had a pleasant time going on and off on the game for the last 3 years . Give or take suffers from the its own issues as well lol xd  
    Indeed , i can understand why you think that. The game's selling point is the PVE raids and trails and stuff.    Might i suggest Gw2 ? perhaps you have already played it, its more solo/duo centric and doign things in the open world is really fun specially with someone else. People love it or hate it, though i have had a pleasant time going on and off on the game for the last 3 years . Give or take suffers from the its own issues as well lol xd  
    I've played it and it wasn't for me. I was also quite surprised to learn that all the "heart quests" need each individual player to finish each task. So, you don't even share progress as a duo when you do those tasks.

That was just painfully stupid for a game like GW2 - which seems otherwise designed around flexible group play.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Best part was my white mage in dungeons. I loved it when I squeezed in the cleanse or whatever the spell was called to remove a debuff just before the boss hit the same player and would have killed him but for my great G600 keybound skills. I was able to hit them quick and enjoyed saving lives and doing well in dungeons.
    Chamber of Chains
    I see, yup, correct in that about the heart quests,  Ive had some fun doing wvw with my friends or in the new heart of thorns maps completing the meta events, but its easy to feel lost in a the world, where your efforts probably don't counts being one amount the zerg . I myself am starting on Aion, with a friend .  we tried Tera together too which proved to be decent amounts of fun (neat combat) . I have found korean  grinder games to be quite fun with duos and trios . 

Also something that comes to mind is black desert... it just has an overwhelming amount of things to do and quest objectives can be achieved in party like archeage. 
    I see, yup, correct in that about the heart quests,  Ive had some fun doing wvw with my friends or in the new heart of thorns maps completing the meta events, but its easy to feel lost in a the world, where your efforts probably don't counts being one amount the zerg . I myself am starting on Aion, with a friend .  we tried Tera together too which proved to be decent amounts of fun (neat combat) . I have found korean  grinder games to be quite fun with duos and trios . 

Also something that comes to mind is black desert... it just has an overwhelming amount of things to do and quest objectives can be achieved in party like archeage. 
    I appreciate your suggestions :)

But I think I'm going to try SWtOR again. I love Star Wars as a setting - and I found the quests decent enough, even if I found most of the storylines a bit overrated. It seemed every single story quest ended with a "big fight" with the nasty baddie - which gets old after the 20th time.

The key thing, though, is that we can do all the content as a duo, except for the Operations. It's also incredibly helpful that we can listen to quest dialogue and participate together, instead of having to wait on each other. That kind of thing really drags when you're playing as a couple - and especially as one person tends to be much slower than the other.

That's pretty important for us :)
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Crafting is great, stories are well written but cutesy. The rest is just kinda "just another game" to me, and the "one character can do everything" doesn't specifically appeal to me.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Eq2 is the best duo mmo IMO.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    OP, it might be easier to list your interests but if you want a duo friendly game, off the top of my head that I know for sure are, are WoW, AA (I know, but it kinda is), and Tera. FFXIV kind of revolves around doing things with a 'set' set up for most content which usually requires 4-8 people for most things ranging from some fates to dungeons (raids of course will require a sizeable number). This game isn't really like a lot of other games where you can clear older content with a duo, probably 4 people but definitely not a duo, except some dungeons and it depends on how much higher level you are above the older dungeons.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited June 2016
    Best part about this game is the job system and the sheer ton amount of things to do and collect (a least compared to the rest of the popular MMOs). Still a lot of it is repetitive and not much fun to do more than once. Not to mention the fact they double-dip with sub plus an exclusive cash shop which include things like bank space.

As a duo you can pretty much just level together, youll have to join other people for group content but youll always have plenty of duo gameplay leveling all classes, doing their hunts, crafting even.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    DKLond said:

I think the most important question is: does your girlfriend like catgirls?  If so FFXIV is a solid choice.

If not... maybe... the combat in FFXIV is noticeably slower than in most other recent MMOs.  For the people who like it, it makes FFXIV one of the best games on the market for them.  For the rest of us that can't stand it, it makes an otherwise good game nearly intolerable. 

Keep in mind in FFXIV you can level multiple jobs on the same character which makes it much easier to have something in range of another player who might not be playing as much.
    Eq2 is the best duo mmo IMO.
    Interesting. How so?
    edited June 2016
    Albatroes said:
    OP, it might be easier to list your interests but if you want a duo friendly game, off the top of my head that I know for sure are, are WoW, AA (I know, but it kinda is), and Tera. FFXIV kind of revolves around doing things with a 'set' set up for most content which usually requires 4-8 people for most things ranging from some fates to dungeons (raids of course will require a sizeable number). This game isn't really like a lot of other games where you can clear older content with a duo, probably 4 people but definitely not a duo, except some dungeons and it depends on how much higher level you are above the older dungeons.
    I have to take her interests into consideration as well :)

There's really no MMO out there that truly catches my fancy - so it's really just the cooperative experience that interests me. That's not to be underestimated, though, and I can enjoy most RPGs if I get to share them.

She's very much into games with no fuss - and she loves crafting. She's much more bloodthirsty than I am - and I tend to prefer deeper and more lore-oriented stuff. She basically just wants to kill and click buttons ;)

I've played more or less all modern MMOs - but I haven't tried them all in two-player mode yet.

Of our recent adventures, the game we've enjoyed the most has actually been The Division. Mostly because it was something new and shiny.

ESO is the closest to my heart of the newer ones - but it's just not very good for a small group. Great as a solo player, though.

ArcheAge had a feature-set that I loved, but I hated the execution and found the PvE abysmally bad.

We've played WoW before - but we're waiting for Legion, because we want to level up together with new characters - and I'd rather do that with the new animations and with the additional tuning that's coming.

LOTRO and DDO are both games I adore - but they're simply too old for the most part, and we can't quite get past the age-related issues.

EQ2 I've never actually played THAT much - but it's also very old and clunky today.

I doubt there's a better alternative than TOR at the moment, sadly.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Hmmm, how is ESO bad to duo in? My wife and I recently started to play together and haven't had a bad time other than updating quests individually it seems ok, we just started a day ago though.

I tried the trial for FFXIV and made it to level 6 only. I found it really dull and boring and couldn't imagine playing that for any length of time.
    edited June 2016
    LIOKI said:
    Hmmm, how is ESO bad to duo in? My wife and I recently started to play together and haven't had a bad time other than updating quests individually it seems ok, we just started a day ago though.

I tried the trial for FFXIV and made it to level 6 only. I found it really dull and boring and couldn't imagine playing that for any length of time.
    Bad is subjective, of course.

The problem is that a lot of the best quests are solo only - and quite a few of them involve multiple choices (which can result in different "phases" for the quests) and a LOT of running back and forth to talk to different NPCs. That might not be a problem for you - and maybe it's not apparent right away.

But after a while, it gets really frustrating when you just have an hour to sit down and play before you have to call it a night - when you spend 30 minutes just talking to NPCs and you don't seem to get anywhere.

Beyond that, the group content is tuned for 4 players - which means you can't duo group dungeons (unless you're in super gear and so on) - and dungeons tend to be the best part of modern MMOs.

Beyond that, I'm personally finding the progression sort of underwhelming - because you gain access to your primary 6 skills after a short period of time, and after that most progression is sort of boring.

That might just be me, though. I had the same problem with Guild Wars 2 at release.