Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The top 3 straw men used at mmorpg.com

Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
3. If you have not been playing since the earliest MUD, you lack the experience to opine on almost any subject.
2. If you are in any way critical of The Secret World, you are clearly too stupid to understand the quests.
1. If you are in any way critical of Star Citizen you are clearly part of a grand conspiracy to destroy CIG through slander and innuendo penned by your exalted leader, Derek Smart.

Comments

• WinterstoneWinterstone Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Ha, totally agree with #3 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    3. If you have not been playing since the earliest MUD, you lack the experience to opine on almost any subject.
    2. If you are in any way critical of The Secret World, you are clearly too stupid to understand the quests.
    1. If you are in any way critical of Star Citizen you are clearly part of a grand conspiracy to destroy CIG through slander and innuendo penned by your exalted leader, Derek Smart.
    lol

1. you have no idea whatsoever what the game is like until you have played it and preferably all the way to the end.
    2. when I run out of arguments I will just randomly say you are derailing.
    3. when I run out of arguments I will just randomly say you are throwing around a strawman

ha!

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Have fun!

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    #1   If you like or prefer anything, it means you want to force everyone to play like you.

#2   Anything that I can do that you can't do, have not yet done or don't want to do means you are a stupid failure at gaming and also in life in general.

#3   Anything you say that I disagree with is you whining.

#4   Anything you think should be changed in a game is you wanting dumbed down ez mode.

#5   Cry more noob. Not in response to anything specific you have said. Just because it's fun to say cry more noob.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

I think the one that sends me to the moon the most is:

'I dont know for sure that I would not like sticking a fork in my eye the only way I can know anything whatsoever about sticking a fork in my eye is if i do it'

</rantOver>

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    1. Link Please!

2. Link given.... so attack the source. 

3. If you in any way defend ANYTHING, even if you've given logical reasoning, you're a "fanboi" or "White Knight"

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    1. Attack any MMO that doesn't have gameplay like FFXI in it's early days.

2. Boast about not spending any money in any MMO for years and some months while confidently sure he doesn't need psychiatrist help.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
     That's their only defence to that train wreak.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
     That's their only defence to that train wreak.

Ditto. It's a cyclical straw man. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2016
    1. Developers are wrong because we disagree and I'm right

2. A fact is not important because it doesn't support my opinion

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    1: Anything that doesn't have a white guy as the protagonist is "pandering to the SJWs" and/or "political correctness run amok"
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Would not the claim that these are the top strawmen in it self constitute some form of no-no in the art of word combat..? 

I feel it should =P 

This have been a good conversation

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Ain't nobody got the time to remember all those complicated rules, so here's the tl;dr version:

1. You are wrong.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    CrazKanuk said:

3. If you in any way defend ANYTHING, even if you've given logical reasoning, you're a "fanboi" or "White Knight"
    ^ that one and it's polar opposite are the most common I've seen listed thus far. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

1 )  Free to play sucks

2 )  Free to play sucks

3 )  Free to play sucks

I'll beat you to it, because its coming

4 )  You suck

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    tawess said:
    Would not the claim that these are the top strawmen in it self constitute some form of no-no in the art of word combat..? 

I feel it should =P 
    The irony of your strawman did not go unnoticed. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

"Oh, you prefer modern MMO designs vs. older ones? Your opinion on the subject at hand (grouping, combat, crafting, socialization etc) is clearly inferior or invalid. A classic.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

A game is bad because the developers broke a promise

• Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
    tawess said:

I feel it should =P 
    It might be classed as anecdotal evidence, or some horsecrap I made up for shits and giggles.  
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Rose colored glasses!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I think some of the people use the "I don't like this game mechanic therefore _____________" with whatever they have the issue with. Ex:  Lazy/Stupid devs, bad/wrong game design, PVP is about me (AKA player skillz), etc.

I would prefer to see:   I prefer this game mechanic.  Also, saying your game mechanic is different rather than better.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

although this thread as turned from 'strawman' into 'argument meme's I hate' here is my list

-You know nothing about the game until you tried it (like sticking a fork in your eye, how do you know it hurts!)
    -if its not a mainstream mega hit then its a failure.
    -your derailing
    -what you post is not a fact but an opinion but what I post without proof is a fact and not an opinion
    -when a prediction you make ends up being correct I will go out of my way to make sure I never admit you were right

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Here's another one for you:

Straw man doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

It's not a catch-all phrase for every type of cliched argument or logical fallacy. It's one particular type of low brow debating gimmick where you attribute an easily-defeated imaginary argument to your opponent so you can defeat it easily.

It IS frequently used in these forums, just not in this thread :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Here's another one for you:

Straw man doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

It's not a catch-all phrase for every type of cliched argument or logical fallacy. It's one particular type of low brow debating gimmick where you attribute an easily-defeated imaginary argument to your opponent so you can defeat it easily.

It IS frequently used in these forums, just not in this thread :)
    Sometimes you over think these discussions, right?

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I think were talking about the different types of gaming snobs.

The new cool thing to do is to promote Indie games endlessly while bashing the triple A titles that generate the most money for the industry.