Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Nintendo NX Might Ditch Disc Drives For Cartridges

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Downloadable is the only way to go. Physical copies can get ruined no matter what type they are.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited June 2016
    Possible I guess. Would be cool to go back to cartridges. Still, ROM chips arent exclusive to game cartridges. They may have new 32GB chips but are those the ones theyre expecting to sell soon? Like I said, would be cool, but id hate to have another repeat of N64, keeping memory heavy content like cutscenes and textures cut out or kept at a lower level quality to save space. #RememberFF7

Games are already getting close to 32GB, plus no way theyre cheaper per GB than blu-ray.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    This is like distribution on thumb drives for software.  It is getting cheap enough that you can downsize the console by dropping the drive and use the chips instead for the software.  Welcome to yesterday.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    spoiler alert, NX is not hardware at all.  
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited June 2016
    Seems like a step backwards just to protect their software.  I guess they still haven't learned their lesson when Sony killed them with the PS1.

Digital downloads will always be preferred these days.  They could've just had user accounts tied to their own digital platform such as Steam, Origin, etc.

People don't want to be bothered, by constantly switching out a flash drive just to play a game, especially when the competition makes it much more streamlined to play game (despite the longer downloading times).
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    I've always harbored a suspicion that console games might loop back around to using cartridges again as various prices dropped and speeds increased. As long as it's not going to cost me more to purchase a game on a cartridge as opposed to a blu-ray or other media format, I say go for it. Just keep the option to save on a separate memory chip or cloud server somewhere. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I think that Nintendo should get out of console making (like Sega) except for maybe handhelds.  Then take their IPs and make them exclusive to Sony and PC/Android. 
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I think that Nintendo should get out of console making (like Sega) except for maybe handhelds.  Then take their IPs and make them exclusive to Sony and PC/Android. 
    Same here. They probably will soon TBH. There is only so many times you can rely on "innovative gimmicks" and have it carry you to the next console generation. Handhelds are great, not sure how or why the Vita bombed so hard in the west but it is what it is. My fear is even if they do give up on consoles they'll still keep their IPs to sell the next handheld.
  • patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    I also think, and I've said it multiple times in the past, they should stop making consoles and stick to making games. There is no way I'm buying their console just to play a few of their games.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Kayo83 said:
    Same here. They probably will soon TBH. There is only so many times you can rely on "innovative gimmicks" and have it carry you to the next console generation. Handhelds are great, not sure how or why the Vita bombed so hard in the west but it is what it is. My fear is even if they do give up on consoles they'll still keep their IPs to sell the next handheld.

It's just stupid Sony that just failed to properly market the PS Vita! And as such it doesn't get enough support with games. Utter shame.

I have the second generation Vita and love the thing to bits! It's a fantastic handheld with great battery life.
    I also have the New 3DS XL and batterylife on the Vita is better than the 3DS.
    Remote play with the PS4 is also fantastic.