Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brad's posts make me worried

Comments

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
    You know, I didn't realize that Brad McQuaid has somehow weaseled his way into additional funding for a new game until this topic. My god... are people actually going to support this man again? Did no one experience the catastrophic abomination that was Vanguard?

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Cymdai said:
    You know, I didn't realize that Brad McQuaid has somehow weaseled his way into additional funding for a new game until this topic. My god... are people actually going to support this man again? Did no one experience the catastrophic abomination that was Vanguard?
    People just want more cocaine and hooker stories I guess.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AenraAenra Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited June 2016
    I feel like I can't post this on the Pantheon forum.  It hits to close to home and there are to many "yes men" over there...though there are "no men" too hah.
    Personally i've said goodbye to Pantheon's forum; not worth it. It isn't merely the "yes men" as you call them, although they are indeed an alarmingly large majority; it's the team itself as well.
    They advertised pledging as a "support us financially, in return discuss the game's development with us". In reality? None of that occurs. It's just one more typical(ly shallow) game forum. Hype, promises, plenty of responses if all you do is lick their balls; otherwise? Avoidance, sugar coatings and white lies if anyone dares ask difficult questions, challenges concepts, and/or enquires deeper. Pathetic. On a game supposedly for mature individuals, on a game supposedly for the few and non-mainstream, on a game supposedly run by a team obliged (their words) to discuss things with you because you paid, but in fact does not.
    (unless as mentioned, only thing one's interested in is praising Brad/Pantheon. That will definitely score a response)

Don't know if you saw the thread i made about pets (am mentioning it since you do as well in your OP)? Brad actually posted to call me an "alarmist" and imply i don't care about helping but am rather a negative influence. Phrasing was grand too, asking the "other members" to "note" the title of my thread.. us and him you know? Why all that?

Because i dared say that if all classes get must-have-pets (they give benefits, ergo, not a matter of preference, we'll be forced to have them out 24/7), then all classes would look like pet classes. And for twenty plus years now, we kept pet and non-pet classes for a reason.
    He didn't reply, i explained further, he pretended he didn't notice and engaged other forum members, and when i criticised his (random) responses? He called me the above. At which point fuck it, he ain't worth it. It's not about being wrong or right, opinions and onions. It's the behaviour. Have tried to engage him in conversations multiple times, he always does the same thing. Avoid or pretend all is well in the Shire and move on. Rather insulting. His latest achievement is just the cherry on top.

edit: to the genius above: SWG was a true sandbox with hardcore PvP elements. Comparing it (and its animal handlers) to Pantheon is like comparing DAoC to Lotro.

Pride, honour and purity

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Distopia said:
    Hrimnir said:
    How anyone who claims to be an EQ fan could have been excited about EQ:Next is beyond me.
    There were hundreds of thousands who were fans of EQ, you really think they all would want the same things moving forward?
    No, i just think they would want an actual EQ game.  Nothing about that game was EQ.  They changed everything, art style, game philosophy, hell, they didn't even keep the NPC's the same, for example Firiona Vie was turned into a bow wielding ranger.  Cus that makes SO much sense in the lore of EQ right.

EQ:N was a thinly veiled attempt at cashing in on the WoW format, both in gameplay and in art style. Yes, there were some ideas they had that could have been good, though i doubted their ability to execute it. However, none of that removes the fact that the game was in no way, shape, or form, EverQuest.

They took the EQ IP, whipped their cocks out, and pissed all over it in the name of the almighty dollar.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Aenra said:
    I feel like I can't post this on the Pantheon forum.  It hits to close to home and there are to many "yes men" over there...though there are "no men" too hah.

Because i dared say that if all classes get must-have-pets (they give benefits, ergo, not a matter of preference), then all classes would look like pet classes. And for twenty plus years now, we kept pet and non-pet classes for a reason.

Uh, no... That would imply all professions in SWG were like CH because all could use and benefit from some type of pet. That wasn't the case at all, nothing else played like a CH, non CH pets were nothing like CH pets in functionality. SWG also makes that last line laughably uninformed. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Hrimnir said:
    Distopia said:

EQ:N was a thinly veiled attempt at cashing in on the WoW format, .
    What? 

Aenra said:

edit: to the genius above: SWG was a true sandbox with hardcore PvP elements. Comparing it (and its animal handlers) to Pantheon is like comparing DAoC to Lotro.

Actually I was below.. You said the two playstyles have been separated for the past 20 years... I pointed out that wasn't true, sandbox or not makes no real difference, as the declaration wasn't specific enough to cancel such games out of that context. 

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Not gonna try to down it too much, but the direction of EQN just wasn't my cup of tea. I do think that there were plenty of EQ folks interested though. But I'm not sure why? Because while I disagree with Hrimnir on his description of EQN, I don't in the fact that I didn't see it being very EQish (but I'm definitely no expert). My thoughts after there was a sufficient amount of info out was more Minecraft meets GW2, but that's just me. If it had come out and people loved it then great. To each their own.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Amsai said:
    Not gonna try to down it too much, but the direction of EQN just wasn't my cup of tea. I do think that there were plenty of EQ folks interested though. But I'm not sure why? Because while I disagree with Hrimnir on his description of EQN, I don't in the fact that I didn't see it being very EQish (but I'm definitely no expert). My thoughts after there was a sufficient amount of info out was more Minecraft meets GW2, but that's just me. If it had come out and people loved it then great. To each their own.
    I don't think the direction of EQN was the cup of tea for many tbh, whether it would appeal to EQ vets is debateable, its no secret after all that EQ:Landmark had close to zero uptake, or at least figures that might have been in the region of a few thousand, but certainly not in the 100's of thousands, and even then retention rate appears to be horrible, that this would inevitably be interpretted as being a low interest rate in EQ:N also was inevitable, given that EQ:L was EQ:N's precursor.
    As for all characters having pets of some description of varying functionality and type, well, its not an untried thing, although the nearest comparison i can think of is probably SW:TOR, where every character has a 'pet' in the form of a companion, that supplements the character in the game in both combat and the storylines themselves, it works extremely well in SW:TOR and i can see why other game developers might consider the additional options that having them would give on that basis. B)
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Aenra said:
    Personally i've said goodbye to Pantheon's forum; not worth it. It isn't merely the "yes men" as you call them, although they are indeed an alarmingly large majority; it's the team itself as well.
    They advertised pledging as a "support us financially, in return discuss the game's development with us". In reality? None of that occurs. It's just one more typical(ly shallow) game forum. Hype, promises, plenty of responses if all you do is lick their balls; otherwise? Avoidance, sugar coatings and white lies if anyone dares ask difficult questions, challenges concepts, and/or enquires deeper. Pathetic. On a game supposedly for mature individuals, on a game supposedly for the few and non-mainstream, on a game supposedly run by a team obliged (their words) to discuss things with you because you paid, but in fact does not.
    (unless as mentioned, only thing one's interested in is praising Brad/Pantheon. That will definitely score a response)

Don't know if you saw the thread i made about pets (am mentioning it since you do as well in your OP)? Brad actually posted to call me an "alarmist" and imply i don't care about helping but am rather a negative influence. Phrasing was grand too, asking the "other members" to "note" the title of my thread.. us and him you know? Why all that?

Because i dared say that if all classes get must-have-pets (they give benefits, ergo, not a matter of preference, we'll be forced to have them out 24/7), then all classes would look like pet classes. And for twenty plus years now, we kept pet and non-pet classes for a reason.
    He didn't reply, i explained further, he pretended he didn't notice and engaged other forum members, and when i criticised his (random) responses? He called me the above. At which point fuck it, he ain't worth it. It's not about being wrong or right, opinions and onions. It's the behaviour. Have tried to engage him in conversations multiple times, he always does the same thing. Avoid or pretend all is well in the Shire and move on. Rather insulting. His latest achievement is just the cherry on top.

You really can't see how caustic you are and its sad.

Of course Brad didn't spend much time responding to you. Not because your post was entirely without merit, but because of the manner in which you delivered it. Instead of creating a thread named something like "Reservations about Pets", you named it "The first Warning Bell". I don't think the content of your post was "alarmist" but you did everything in your power to make it sound like it was.

There is also an implied stupidity and incompetence directed at anyone with whom you engage. The shit is tiresome, man. No one wants to deal with that kind of arrogance and contentiousness. Beyond that, you've also long stated on both forums what little regard and confidence you have in the Pantheon team. Honestly its always been something of a mystery to me why you ever pledged to the game to begin with.

And please, lets not pretend Visionary Realms are unwilling to communicate with us or that the other members of the forums are simply "yes men." One need only read those threads on pets from this very week to see that the initial response prior to clarification was overwhelmingly negative.

Plenty of us raise our concerns to different things on the Pantheon forums. I myself voiced my reservations for pets in another thread before you even started this melodrama. In fact, I've never hesitated to oppose something the VR devs have presented, and just about every time they've responded directly to my concerns.

Didn't your parents ever teach you its not necessarily what you say that's the problem, but how you say it?

• ZDPhoenixZDPhoenix Member UncommonPosts: 218
    This reminds me of Vanguard so much.

You can feel how you wish, but I can't trust McQuaid.

I simply cannot trust him to pull through with this. As a designer? Absolutely. Being in charge in any facet? Bail.

Vanguard players, fired Sigil developers and a handful of seasoned reviewers tried to sound the horns when Pantheon was announced. I just don't get how no one believes this will happen twice.
    ZDPhoenix said:
    This reminds me of Vanguard so much.

You can feel how you wish, but I can't trust McQuaid.

I simply cannot trust him to pull through with this. As a designer? Absolutely. Being in charge in any facet? Bail.

Vanguard players, fired Sigil developers and a handful of seasoned reviewers tried to sound the horns when Pantheon was announced. I just don't get how no one believes this will happen twice.
    Why not rather hope that it will turn out more like EQ instead? What happened with Vanguard was tragic, but time has passed and lessons were surely learned. On top of that, Brad doesn't have the same role in Visionary Realms that he held in Sigil.

Ultimately time will tell, but it seems people like to glory in the failures of others much more than the successes. Lets not lose sight of the fact that it was largely the success of EQ that made this genre and places like this website a reality.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Aenra said:

w
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Aenra said:

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Not sure why my quote doesn't work, so I have to reply this way 

I didn't pledge yet.  That will come closer to release.

But lets look at the big picture.

Brad and his team are working on an mmo, they have a strategy, they have their own vision like every other game development team. I understand they offer a forum and allow feedback and suggestion's. That doesn't mean they will take any of them.  What it does mean is, at the end of the day, when all work is done they will answer questions, scan for a few ideas, and maybe with an outside chance they may change something if a very large majority request something. Very outside chance, its their game !!!!

To offer a pledge is a helpful gesture that's it !........To think your $100 or what ever thinks it gives anyone the power to rule over them is pure selfish.

I think it's nice that they are at least responsive at all, they are working hard.

If you give a donation its just that a DONATION to help them make a game, a discussion forum is all they could and should offer !!!!!

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Agree with the above I've said this on the main forums. Seems just lately on these forums more people are taking notice of a game they thought would never see the light of day. Thank God this will be a niche game, yes everyone can have an opinion but don't think for one moment that they can demand or change the concept of the game.

This pet nonsense has been blowned out of proportion. 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited June 2016
    And SWG was not a true sandbox it was a hybrid, a true sand box is Wurm Online. I don't recall being able to shape the land in SWG or build my own mine. They are many things that make SWG look like a semi sandbox when you put it up against Wurm Online.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    ehhh i think the progeny system is more of a worry to this game than the pet system and when they made the post on facebook about the progeny system, i replied saying i didnt think it was a good idea and listed several reasons why and then added the reason it works for CoE is because the whole game is built around that system and their reply was "we thought of it first" like... really...
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Hrimnir said:
    How anyone who claims to be an EQ fan could have been excited about EQ:Next is beyond me.
    Yes I agree - that probably is beyond you. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Aenra said:
    Because someone said the two games were exactly the same? I think perhaps Brad was right in his assessment of your posts. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    mbrodie said:
    ehhh i think the progeny system is more of a worry to this game than the pet system and when they made the post on facebook about the progeny system, i replied saying i didnt think it was a good idea and listed several reasons why and then added the reason it works for CoE is because the whole game is built around that system and their reply was "we thought of it first" like... really...
    I think this is probably true.  I am one who likes the proposed progeny system (for a few reasons) but, similar to having too many pets, I think it might turn a lot of people off (more so than having too many pets even).

The difference is a lot of people aren't familiar with a system like this so there isn't the general outcry that we saw with pets.

There is also a whole bunch of discussion about the progeny system on the forums from people who have admitted that they have no experience with a similar system so they are basically talking about something they have no understanding of.   They don't have a frame of reference to base their thoughts on so it ends up being a very bad conversation with twisted logic.

I have stopped adding to that conversation because, even though I have played something similar, it is difficult to talk about it with others who haven't.
    mbrodie said:
    I think this is probably true.  I am one who likes the proposed progeny system (for a few reasons) but, similar to having too many pets, I think it might turn a lot of people off (more so than having too many pets even).

The difference is a lot of people aren't familiar with a system like this so there isn't the general outcry that we saw with pets.

There is also a whole bunch of discussion about the progeny system on the forums from people who have admitted that they have no experience with a similar system so they are basically talking about something they have no understanding of.   They don't have a frame of reference to base their thoughts on so it ends up being a very bad conversation with twisted logic.

I have stopped adding to that conversation because, even though I have played something similar, it is difficult to talk about it with others who haven't.
    from what they said on facebook - to the proposed notes i read that they linked on the website... the benefit doesn't outweigh the loss, like.... for CoE it's a core mechanic of the game, for PRoTF it seems like something they added in because they think it would be cool and doesn't really mesh with what the game should be... 

now i know it's completely optional but thats the point... i see a very very low % of people actually using it when it comes to brass tax....

let's say for example, like everquest you spent months leveling, did your epic quest for your weapon, been farming open world random spawn time bosses in bind rush groups, doing all the fun stuff gearing up getting l337 and then what, you gonna wanna throw away all of that to get a couple of skills towards a new build that don't even cross class properly....

thats what i mean about it not suiting the game no matter how much they dress it up, if you have a gear based game where farming high end items is a thing and then put in a mechanic that directly counters that mechanic by making you lose it for a couple of bonuses and slightly faster leveling the second time around.... i'd rather play an alt.
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    mbrodie said:
    mbrodie said:

from what they said on facebook - to the proposed notes i read that they linked on the website... the benefit doesn't outweigh the loss, like.... for CoE it's a core mechanic of the game, for PRoTF it seems like something they added in because they think it would be cool and doesn't really mesh with what the game should be... 

now i know it's completely optional but thats the point... i see a very very low % of people actually using it when it comes to brass tax....

let's say for example, like everquest you spent months leveling, did your epic quest for your weapon, been farming open world random spawn time bosses in bind rush groups, doing all the fun stuff gearing up getting l337 and then what, you gonna wanna throw away all of that to get a couple of skills towards a new build that don't even cross class properly....

thats what i mean about it not suiting the game no matter how much they dress it up, if you have a gear based game where farming high end items is a thing and then put in a mechanic that directly counters that mechanic by making you lose it for a couple of bonuses and slightly faster leveling the second time around.... i'd rather play an alt.
    While, neither of us know specific details...and really, maybe this topic should have its own thread, a lot of what you just said doesn't pertain to this kind of system as far as how other games implement it. 

Without knowing specifics it makes for a tough discussion, but usually in systems like this you don't lose your gear.  What you said makes me wonder about your experience with a similar system?

Actually, nevermind.  It doesn't pertain to this thread and it is difficult to discuss without knowing specific details about how it will work in Pantheon.

Lets let it be for now and wait and see...but maybe you should have hope because I'm pretty sure some of the negative things you think about the system won't be an issue.
    edited June 2016
    mbrodie said:
    mbrodie said:

While, neither of us know specific details...and really, maybe this topic should have its own thread, a lot of what you just said doesn't pertain to this kind of system as far as how other games implement it. 

Without knowing specifics it makes for a tough discussion, but usually in systems like this you don't lose your gear.  What you said makes me wonder about your experience with a similar system?

Actually, nevermind.  It doesn't pertain to this thread and it is difficult to discuss without knowing specific details about how it will work in Pantheon.

Lets let it be for now and wait and see...but maybe you should have hope because I'm pretty sure some of the negative things you think about the system won't be an issue.

sorry 1 last thing, the actually said you don't carry your gear over, if i could find the facebook post i would show you... but they did specifically say "gear would not carry over"  it's not my experience with previous systems in question... it's their actual replies to the topic what i'm talking about. all the things i stated were things they said would be a part of the system

sorry for derailing this thread

edited June 2016
    double post.
    edited June 2016
    mbrodie said:
    mbrodie said:

Progeny is just one more way to encourage players to revisit the early game, keeping it populated for new players while providing old players with some bonuses for sacrificing their character and starting fresh.

It doesn't sound like you are really familiar with what a progeny character entails. You aren't "throwing away" everything. Much (if not all) of what you achieved, you will get to inherit. Its simply a better twink that comes at the cost of your former character.

They haven't even given all the details yet, so your post is highly speculative.

That said, I'm not personally that excited about the feature because I may not have the time to utilize it. Still, I can see its value in keeping people playing, keeping the world populated, and especially providing someone for low level players to group with (perpetuating the world is the ultimate goal in an MMORPG).