Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic Co-Founder Jack Emmert Named CEO of Daybreak Austin

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

imageCryptic Co-Founder Jack Emmert Named CEO of Daybreak Austin

Out of left field, it seems that Cryptic Studios' Co-Founder Jack Emmert has been named as CEO of Daybreak Austin, the studio responsible for DC Universe Online.

Read the full story here

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    From one broken studio to another, he must feel great.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    *yawn*
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I like Jack from back in my CoH days. But Daybreak is dead to me after cancelling Everquest Next. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    CoH got better after Jack and crew headed off to found Cryptic.   Well , maybe he has learned something along the way.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Hmmm.  I wonder if this means something 'hero-based' might be in the works at Daybreak?  DCUO isn't the best MMORPG; it could use significant improvement, maybe via expansions.  Of course, since Emmert is coming directly from Cryptic, maybe Daybreak wants some insight into lockbox loot technology.

Jack, forget about that portion of your life, please.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

Amathe said:

I like Jack from back in my CoH days. But Daybreak is dead to me after cancelling Everquest Next. 

I haven't played previous EQ titles much, but IMO the cancel was the right call. By looks alone the title was moving from previous EQ titles to a WoW & Wildstar kind of art.
    The art style was still better than the fugly ass art style EQ and EQ2 have, it would have been a huge improvement.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Not totally surprised the guy has been a mega comic book fan ever since he was a kid.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    I believe this announcement is proof that Daybreak hasn't hit rock bottom. (but I'm not sure how much lower they can dig)
  • museandalimuseandali Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Nerfsman joining DCUO? I guess Melee DPS are going to be nerfed 80% in effectiveness soon.
  • SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Well Daybreak already seems like it has cancer... adding a little more can't hurt, right?
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2016
    To be honest, out of all the top Early Access games H1Z1 has got to be the worst of them by a long shot. Why do people insist on talking about games like H1Z1 and No Man Sky when there are so many other options that are a LOT better is something I will never fully understand

rant over

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    CoH/V got much better after he left, I think.  Good luck to him and DayBreak.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    My hunch/guess is that DBG is finding out,they do not have the people in place to assure success of the company and are struggling badly.
    I have no idea what they see in him or what they think he can offer them,perhaps just the only guy they could find  at a reasonable price.

I feel within a year there will be some much bigger news coming out of DBG.Smedley baited them in,they likely regret their decision to take over SOE gaming.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Normally i would like to feel some compassion for a business trying to do well,trying to improve what was a dire bad situation,however knowing what i do about the owner,he is as close to being mafia as it  comes.So i couldn't care less if DBG loses it's shirt through this bad decision.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Cool, perhaps some work on EQ2 coming?  Daybreak picking up some big name is a good thing!
  • CombspeCombspe Member UncommonPosts: 140
    I don't care about this, so next?
    edited June 2016
    Wizardry said:
    Normally i would like to feel some compassion for a business trying to do well,trying to improve what was a dire bad situation,however knowing what i do about the owner,he is as close to being mafia as it  comes.So i couldn't care less if DBG loses it's shirt through this bad decision.
    Thing is, what about RUST? What about 7 Days to Die? what about all the others?
    Do we really need to lamet and cry crocodile tears that a company backed with AAA dolllars cant hack it in the indie market? nope

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    IMO this was a mistake.  Jak Emmert held back progress for the CoH/V game until he was told to change or quit.  After he oversaw the change, he quit.  CoH was great fun, but it needed a lot of simple fixes that never got done until after Emmert left.

I was involved in Champions Online since shortly after it went to alpha.  He took a terrific, fun game with a ton of potential, and turned it into moreofthesameMMORPG.  I was so disenchanted I didn't even buy it.

Plus he was in charge of some of the worst P2W cash shop games that have ever existed; Perfect World, Forsaken World and Swordsman Online.  I won't put the entire blame on him, these were Chinese imports.  But he and his cronies didn't do much to fix the P2W 'features'.

------------------------------------------------

If he wants to get on my good side, he needs to do something very positive with the EQ franchise.  Remastering EQ2 with a modern game engine, and tying it into Landmark would be a great first step that could reap benefits within a year.  And of course some version of EQ3 needs to be on the horizon...

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited June 2016
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Wizardry said:
    Thing is, what about RUST? What about 7 Days to Die? what about all the others?
    Do we really need to lamet and cry crocodile tears that a company backed with AAA dolllars cant hack it in the indie market? nope
    Rust is a cheating hackfest and do PC gamers care about made for console titles like 7 days to die?

This isn't really about lamenting or indie market at all. It's about a new CEO and what he's going to be in charge of. What does that mean for the entire stable and not just the "yet another survival title". The survival games are a dime a dozen now.
    made for console games like 7 Days to Die?

and you want to be taken seriously?

yeah...not so much

not ignored by the way but never taken seriously for sure. I will assume hench forth you are just trolling until you un-fuck that

excuse me while I look up some stories about hacking in H1Z1
    Post edited by SEANMCAD on

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    I haven't played previous EQ titles much, but IMO the cancel was the right call. By looks alone the title was moving from previous EQ titles to a WoW & Wildstar kind of art.
    Nah you are mistaken. EqNext was trying to move away away from wow/eq2 style themepark, but it was also moving away from eq1. EqNext were going to be a real dynamic sandbox inspired game, not like any games in the marked - I can't see how a sandbox-mmorpg would not have landed well in the current market where everyone makes sandbox games. Maybe EqNext was too ambitious, maybe they had made too many mistakes and bad choices in development, but most likely it is because they got taken over and the new owner killed it off.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    As far as other titles the news says just DCUO. Is there anything other than DCUO at Austin now?

Assuming it is just DCUO what does it say about the title? Somebody make the decision to bring in a new DCUO head to do "whatever" rather than promote from within the existing team or move someone from Austin.

So a "fresh pair of eyes" to oversee .....whatever: staff "efficiencies"; better planning; better co-ordination with DC ......

It suggests "change" however but whether that suggests DCUO was "doing fine" and they want better or "doing not so well" who knows.

And what does it suggest about Cryptic? From CEO of the company he co-founded to "reporting to San Diego office" - sounds like a downgrade to me.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Good news for Daybreak. They desperately needed some good news. Cryptic makes some pretty fine games and content.