Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutorial: How you make Promo Artwork for Spaceship

Comments

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Erillion said:
    Iselin said:
    You would remove watermarks for a mockup? I wouldn't.

The sloppy attempt at watermark and ring removal tells me this is no internal mockup that inadvertently was made public but more likely a deliberate attempt to pull a fast one.
    Unless the copyright owner cries wolf, this is a non-issue.

As one of the posters above already said - it may well be that the picture fees have been paid, but the wrong image (the preview with the watermarks) has been used instead of the version without watermarks.

Have fun
    Even you will have to agree that if everything was OK, then CIG would not be pulling the picture whereever they can, and it seems they are indeed doing that.

That said, I will repeat my earlier stance that this is a minor issue and really anyone crying faul here is really trying too hard to find something to cry about.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    hfztt said:
    Even you will have to agree that if everything was OK, then CIG would not be pulling the picture whereever they can, and it seems they are indeed doing that.

That said, I will repeat my earlier stance that this is a minor issue and really anyone crying faul here is really trying too hard to find something to cry about.
    I concur.

Have fun
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    WTB video of Chris response once this reached his office.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited June 2016
    Shodanas said:
    It's always amusing to watch MMORPG's concerned customers and "artists" with the help of the great DS being ever watchful and swift to expose CIG's shameful tactics in its efforts to promote this big scam they pretend to work on.

The fact that rest of the world doesn't deem the serious issues these concerned individuals raise as important enough to waste time on only tightens their resolve.

I'm eagerly waiting for the next big revelation by one of MMORPG's artists.

While some people do take this too seriously it's a good thing that it's been called out. Businesses engaging in copyright theft is no joke. Look at it this way, would backers really want to see their funds being used in fighting a lawsuit?
    I seem to remember a bunch of concerned citizens getting very upset when PWE's space game was announced, lots of concern posts and piling on the devs all over the place, even on PWE's forums. Lots of accusations about how they were lifting designs and ideas directly from Star Citizen. It wasn't ok for others to do it back then ... so there's no reason it should be ok for CIG to do it now.

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    dsmart said:
    Shodanas said:

Also, still waiting for the image creator to come forth and accuse CIG for stealing his work. I mean, he could make some nice quick buck from this, no ?

That's not going to happen, the liability of proving financial gain from a single image that is not used as part of a major marketing campaign is too high. They've probably received a Cease and Desist, hence the removal of the images.
    Yes, since it has been reported to the owners, they probably did issue a C&D since it was used without permission. Some people don't realize just how serious stuff like this is, and that you can't just pay after the fact and the problem goes away.

And once again - just like the taggate fiasco - some were quick to blame Goons for doctoring images.

They refuse to accept the sordid fact that they're fighting a losing battle. outwitted, outgunned, and definitely outsmarted 24-7

This is why we fight. 
    Pretty sure you fight with Chris because he has always made better games than you, sold more copies than you and all in the same genre and concept as you.

Face it DS, Roberts could burn RSI to the ground and still have a more respected career than you, AND that is why you fight.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Shodanas said:
    dsmart said:
    Shodanas said:

Also, still waiting for the image creator to come forth and accuse CIG for stealing his work. I mean, he could make some nice quick buck from this, no ?

That's not going to happen, the liability of proving financial gain from a single image that is not used as part of a major marketing campaign is too high. They've probably received a Cease and Desist, hence the removal of the images.
    Yes, since it has been reported to the owners, they probably did issue a C&D since it was used without permission. Some people don't realize just how serious stuff like this is, and that you can't just pay after the fact and the problem goes away.

And once again - just like the taggate fiasco - some were quick to blame Goons for doctoring images.

They refuse to accept the sordid fact that they're fighting a losing battle. outwitted, outgunned, and definitely outsmarted 24-7

This is why we fight. 
    I can't figure out if you're on serious note or just joking.

You must thing that people have the attention span and memory capacity of an amoeba.

What's the status on that E.L.E you so vigorously foretold ? Date shifted again, for the 10tht time huh ? Keep your lawyers on high alert though.

Now go put some work on that thing resembling a game and come back after you've found some shards of credibility.
    "Come back after you've found some shards of credibility"

...says the guy who refused to see that it's literally the same image (see gif), and has yet to acknowledge it.

Is it a huge deal? Probably not (although it doesn't look good for CIG).  If anything, this discussion highlights the fact that CIG can do no wrong in some people's eyes, even if their position has been shown to be empirically false.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• VIM24VIM24 Member CommonPosts: 3
    edited June 2016
    Erillion said:
    Bascola said:

I don't understand why you defend a company that steal artwork.
    Errors happen.

If that was the case here, the copyright owner is owed an apology and the fee for his picture (plus compensation for his trouble). He has the right to follow up with legal procedure but my guess is he would rather like to get the money than to wait for the outcome of a legal battle.

Internally a company has to then take steps to avoid any such errors in the future e.g. by writing and distributing SOPs or Process Instructions. That is what ISO 9001 Quality Management and CIP (Continous Improvement Process) is for.

Good companies learn from their mistakes.

Have fun

PS:
    No, you cannot steal my stuff ....

PPS:
    I looked too  ...  yes .... that particular picture is not to be found anymore on Sandi Gardiners facebook account or the CIG webpage. Has been taken down it seems.
    It is not the first time man. Here is an example from....yesterday.

When backers found out that CIG was using derogatory tags on their CS processes via zendesk, CIG pulled the page down, and substituted it with this.

The under construction sign on the planet looked a little..interesting.

1. It was the first image result if you search for "under construction" in google.
    2. It was actually a Stuttershock image, with the Copyright belonging to an Artist named Arcady.
    3. The source image had a black shadow at the bottom.

What the guys at CIG did was to take the image from google, remove the shadow from the bottom and then paste it on the planet. This produced a noticeable jagged edge on the bottom, due to sloppy cropping.

This was caught up in the SA forums and reposted a couple of times..the result is that the page looks like this right now.

https://cloudimperiumservicesllc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

So much for learning from past mistakes, right?
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    The sad thing here is that SC isn't unique in it's image theft. So many people do it, it's crazy. And it really sucks because we have this environment in which art, design, and photography are so regularly looked down upon ("why don't you get a real job?" or "why didn't you get a real degree?") while at the same time what they produce is in high demand, but no one wants to pay for it.

Businesses engaging in copyright theft is no joke.
    I agree.

Keep in mind - however - that it was not CIG that did this. It seems it was a freelance artist that probably sold this to CIG as a genuine work of art created by him.

Any legal battle between the copyright owner will be with the freelance artist, NOT CIG.

CIG might even participate because they may have been deceived by the freelance artist themselves.

But hey, this is the US .... seems like almost everything is settled out of court it its not murder or terrorism.

Have fun

edited June 2016
    dsmart said:
    Everyone can stop arguing now. I've put everything in one post.

Have you also talked in that post about certain people that in 2010 used whole passages of a press release from Bioware to promote another game ?

That game was Alganon.

Back then it was an "innocent mistake made by a subordinate".

Hhmm, who could  that conpany owner have been ? Name escapes me at the moment. Must have been no one worth remembering.

But it shows that other companies do this too. You should mention them too and apply the same standards.

Have fun

PS:

Some people even use marketing art from TV companies and photoshop it so it can be used as "book covers" for their "Original Work of Art". Despicable practice, would you not agree ... ?  But hey, I am sure some people claim FAIR USE for altered pictures ....

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Erillion said:
    I agree.

Keep in mind - however - that it was not CIG that did this. It seems it was a freelance artist that probably sold this to CIG as a genuine work of art created by him.

Any legal battle between the copyright owner will be with the freelance artist, NOT CIG.

CIG might even participate because they may have been deceived by the freelance artist themselves.

But hey, this is the US .... seems like almost everything is settled out of court it its not murder or terrorism.

Have fun

And where exactly did you get this information? "Seems" and "probably" sounds more like speculation to me.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Yes blame the artist, not the company that hired him and didn't check his artwork.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    VIM24 said:
    Erillion said:
    Bascola said:

I don't understand why you defend a company that steal artwork.
    Errors happen.

If that was the case here, the copyright owner is owed an apology and the fee for his picture (plus compensation for his trouble). He has the right to follow up with legal procedure but my guess is he would rather like to get the money than to wait for the outcome of a legal battle.

Internally a company has to then take steps to avoid any such errors in the future e.g. by writing and distributing SOPs or Process Instructions. That is what ISO 9001 Quality Management and CIP (Continous Improvement Process) is for.

Good companies learn from their mistakes.

Have fun

PS:
    No, you cannot steal my stuff ....

PPS:
    I looked too  ...  yes .... that particular picture is not to be found anymore on Sandi Gardiners facebook account or the CIG webpage. Has been taken down it seems.
    It is not the first time man. Here is an example from....yesterday.

When backers found out that CIG was using derogatory tags on their CS processes via zendesk, CIG pulled the page down, and substituted it with this.

The under construction sign on the planet looked a little..interesting.

1. It was the first image result if you search for "under construction" in google.
    2. It was actually a Stuttershock image, with the Copyright belonging to an Artist named Arcady.
    3. The source image had a black shadow at the bottom.

What the guys at CIG did was to take the image from google, remove the shadow from the bottom and then paste it on the planet. This produced a noticeable jagged edge on the bottom, due to sloppy cropping.

This was caught up in the SA forums and reposted a couple of times..the result is that the page looks like this right now.

https://cloudimperiumservicesllc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

So much for learning from past mistakes, right?
    Heh.  All they had to do was use https://search.creativecommons.org/.  It searches for creative common licenses for you.
      And where exactly did you get this information? "Seems" and "probably" sounds more like speculation to me.
    "Google is thy friend..."

I use "seem" and "probably" because i did not check and verify the information myself personally.

Have fun
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    filmoret said:
    WTB video of Chris response once this reached his office.
    I found Sandy on the phone and Chris sneaking up with a response.

Are you onto something or just on something?
    Erillion said:
    "Google is thy friend..."

I use "seem" and "probably" because i did not check and verify the information myself personally.

Have fun
     Sorry but you scream and cry for proof everytime someone makes a claim, asking for proof and links. So the burden of proof is on you, otherwise I call bullshit on your claim it was done by a freelancer

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Shodanas said:
    dsmart said:
    Shodanas said:

This is why we fight. 

You must thing that people have the attention span and memory capacity of an amoeba.

What's the status on that E.L.E you so vigorously foretold ? Date shifted again, for the 10tht time huh ? Keep your lawyers on high alert though.

Now go put some work on that thing resembling a game and come back after you've found some shards of credibility.

...says the guy who refused to see that it's literally the same image (see gif), and has yet to acknowledge it.

Is it a huge deal? Probably not (although it doesn't look good for CIG).  If anything, this discussion highlights the fact that CIG can do no wrong in some people's eyes, even if their position has been shown to be empirically false.
    Pardon me but DS absolute lack of credibility has been proven over and over again. By no other mind you than the man himself.

Nice for you to step in his defense, though i doubt that he will appreciate your effort.
    edited June 2016
    otherwise I call bullshit on your claim it was done by a freelancer
    Feel free.

Do that for the others that mentioned it on the Internet too .... all of them ... you gotta get em all   ;-)   ... via the search engine of your choice.

As I mentioned above, this is NOT an information that i personally have verified.

Have fun

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
    I agree.

Have fun

That's where things start getting messy though.
    If you were a contractor and wrote some code while under the employ of a company, they would claim ownership of the code, in the same way that this artwork will more than likely be called CIG's artwork via contractual terms.
    They wouldn't want someone like Mr.Martin to be paid for work but still retain the copyright on what he produces, down the line that could lead to all sorts of trouble.
    As they are taking ownership they would also be liable for any infringement (should it occur).
    edited June 2016
    Erillion said:
    otherwise I call bullshit on your claim it was done by a freelancer
    Feel free.

Do that for the others that mentioned it on the Internet too .... all of them ... you gotta get em all   ;-)   ... via the search engine of your choice.

As I mentioned above, this is NOT an information that i personally have verified.

Have fun

So basically you're just making yet another post meant to spread misinformation instead of facts when CIG is up to no good. 

• EmbersEmbers Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Shodanas said:
    It's always amusing to watch MMORPG's concerned customers and "artists" with the help of the great DS being ever watchful and swift to expose CIG's shameful tactics in its efforts to promote this big scam they pretend to work on.

I agree but I think scam is too strong a word, clearly CIG are trying very hard but for the amount of money raised and the level of talent hired backers should expect them not to make such basic unforced errors.

You can either view criticism as unhelpful or helpful in improving.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2016
    observer said:

Heh.  All they had to do was use https://search.creativecommons.org/.  It searches for creative common licenses for you.
    It's not that simple. Many creative commons licenses require that all derivative work uses the same license too.

On 2005 Japanese game company Leaf was forced to release source code of four of its games due to using XVid codec.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I'd just like to clarify my stance that plagiarism is very serious, no matter how small.

Plenty of indie artists are struggling, but at least they've never plagiarized anyone.

Now, whether or not that's what's happened here, I can't say.  I don't know enough about the original photo.  I just wanted to make it clear that I feel plagiarism is a serious issue.

All the best to CIG.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Shodanas said:
    Shodanas said:
    dsmart said:
    Shodanas said:

This is why we fight. 

Pardon me but DS absolute lack of credibility has been proven over and over again. By no other mind you than the man himself.

Nice for you to step in his defense, though i doubt that he will appreciate your effort.
    That wasn't Phaserlight's point.  

I think his point was more: pot, meet kettle.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Erillion said:
    dsmart said:
    Everyone can stop arguing now. I've put everything in one post.

Have you also talked in that post about certain people that in 2010 used whole passages of a press release from Bioware to promote another game ?

That game was Alganon.

Back then it was an "innocent mistake made by a subordinate".

Hhmm, who could  that conpany owner have been ? Name escapes me at the moment. Must have been no one worth remembering.

Thank you!

I recalled this incident but wasn't sure if it occurred before or after DS's takeover of Alganon so i decided not to mention it.

They almost copy - pasted whole blocks of Bioware's press release and used it to promote their game. Of course being who he is he blamed anyone else except himself.
This discussion has been closed.