Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutorial: How you make Promo Artwork for Spaceship

Comments

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167

Shodanas said:

The two ladies have similarities and many differences. If you like i can send you a photo of my fiance assuming the exact same pose in front of her new toyota yaris.

Try harder next time.

Yes...the two  ladies have similarities. Exact same hand placement, finger placement, wrinkles in dress in the exact same spots, exact same foot placement, same knee shading, same fingernail polish. Hell if you look close enouph even exact same hand and arm viens. And exact same shading on legs...Let's see your fiance pull that off.

Even as an amateur photo artist, I can see where the blend is between the original body and head. 
  • BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Shodanas said:
    Iselin said:
    Shodanas said:

The two ladies have similarities and many differences. If you like i can send you a photo of my fiance assuming the exact same pose in front of her new toyota yaris.

Try harder next time.
    Look at the shadows between the feet and the shoes toward the back of the shoes... look at the bony elbow protuberances... identical.

We all know that you'll defend CIG come hell or high water but I didn't know you were also blind.
    I am still waiting for proof that said picture is stolen.

If this came from another person i would consider it to look a stretch further. Since it's coming from someone who blatantly lied about CIG asking him for a sub in order to play the alpha, someone with a very specific predisposition towards SC,  i will wait for the image owner / creator, if one exists, to come forth and state that his work was stolen.

Also,
    Who is "we" ?

You presume to much.
    why you say i lie? I ask support how to play alpha 2.4 and they tell me: "You will get instant access if you subscribe" and link me this page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/subscriptions

You are very angry man.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited June 2016
    Here's a comparison gif

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    W.r.t. picture fees:

Stock image e.g.

http://www.shutterstock.com/s/body-language/search.html?page=1&inline=196743830

Typical picture price a few Cent up to 8 €, depending on your package deal (can cost MUCH less with certain packages than the price of a single image).

Seems like it is used by a LOT of people, especially in the areas of showing body language and selling women clothing. Found 621 results.

Have fun 
  • dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Everyone can stop arguing now. I've put everything in one post. Draw your own conclusions

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop3k1

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Bascola said:
    Shodanas said:
    Iselin said:
    Shodanas said:

Try harder next time.
    Look at the shadows between the feet and the shoes toward the back of the shoes... look at the bony elbow protuberances... identical.

We all know that you'll defend CIG come hell or high water but I didn't know you were also blind.

If this came from another person i would consider it to look a stretch further. Since it's coming from someone who blatantly lied about CIG asking him for a sub in order to play the alpha, someone with a very specific predisposition towards SC,  i will wait for the image owner / creator, if one exists, to come forth and state that his work was stolen.

Also,
    Who is "we" ?

You presume to much.
    why you say i lie? I ask support how to play alpha 2.4 and they tell me: "You will get instant access if you subscribe" and link me this page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/subscriptions

You are very angry man.
    Then i shall be vigilant not to let my subscription drop else i will loose my alpha access.

Also, still waiting for the image creator to come forth and accuse CIG for stealing his work. I mean, he could make some nice quick buck from this, no ?
    Shodanas said:

Unfortunately you're wrong, Jim Martin has clearly taken a stock image, 'shopped Sandi's head on it, done some blending etc why else would CIG be removing all evidence of the image.

What's probably happened here is that the stock image was used for a mockup, with all likelihood of it being paid for if they decided to run with it (this is common behaviour in the industry).
    But someone (probably Sandi seeing it appeared on her Facebook page) jumped the gun and used the mockup instead of ensuring all the i's were dotted and t's were crossed.

I don't think there's intentional wrongdoing , it's just incompetence.
    Yes we do it all the time :)  For internal only! But they used on Webpage, Video, Twitter and Facebook. That is a lot of oops! mistake.

If she is VP of Marketing then she should be fired and art director should be fired too because this is not acceptable for big business. In my company they would be not in the office today.
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    edited June 2016
    Shodanas said:
    @ OP : sorry, but you are full of BS.

What you show proves absolutely nothing and furthermore no one raises an issue about this except you, being a concerned "artist" of course, and the usual haters on MMORPG who saw an opportunity to spite and jumped on the wagon. Oh, and DS of course who despite calling us backers "shits" multiple times on these boards is still allowed to post.

Aren't you the one who wrote that CIG asked you for a subscription on order to play the SC alpha ?

Try harder next time.
     You must be legally blind. 

I also think it's funny that CIG are trying to erase that photo from the entire internet. Busted! 

Erillion said:
    W.r.t. picture fees:

Stock image e.g.

http://www.shutterstock.com/s/body-language/search.html?page=1&inline=196743830

Typical picture price a few Cent up to 8 €, depending on your package deal (can cost MUCH less with certain packages than the price of a single image).

Seems like it is used by a LOT of people, especially in the areas of showing body language and selling women clothing. Found 621 results.

Have fun 
    Yes this is normal. Photographers sell pictures to all stock photo website. That is how they pay for food.

Why did company not pay 8 euro and stole it? This behavour is not acceptable for a company with so much money.

Why you always say have fun, it make no sense...?
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Shodanas said:

Also, still waiting for the image creator to come forth and accuse CIG for stealing his work. I mean, he could make some nice quick buck from this, no ?

That's not going to happen, the liability of proving financial gain from a single image that is not used as part of a major marketing campaign is too high. They've probably received a Cease and Desist, hence the removal of the images.
  • dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Shodanas said:

That's not going to happen, the liability of proving financial gain from a single image that is not used as part of a major marketing campaign is too high. They've probably received a Cease and Desist, hence the removal of the images.
    Yes, since it has been reported to the owners, they probably did issue a C&D since it was used without permission. Some people don't realize just how serious stuff like this is, and that you can't just pay after the fact and the problem goes away.

And once again - just like the taggate fiasco - some were quick to blame Goons for doctoring images.

They refuse to accept the sordid fact that they're fighting a losing battle. outwitted, outgunned, and definitely outsmarted 24-7

This is why we fight. 

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

Bascola said:

And you repeatedly heard here how to obtain access without paying anything. You CAN become a subscriber, but you do not have to. Its entirely voluntary.

@rpmcmurphy Thank you for the comparison gif. In the OPs pictures I did not see the watermark things he described. I am not an artist - only saw this with the Filter function you posted.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Bascola said:

And you repeatedly heard here how to obtain access without paying anything. You CAN become a subscriber, but you do not have to. Its entirely voluntary.

Yes but this man said i lied. It is true you get instant access if you subscribe. So i did not lie.

I don't like when people say i am liar. You probably don't like it.
    edited June 2016
    dsmart said:
    Shodanas said:

Yes, since it has been reported to the owners, they probably did issue a C&D since it was used without permission. Some people don't realize just how serious stuff like this is, and that you can't just pay after the fact and the problem goes away.

And once again - just like the taggate fiasco - some were quick to blame Goons for doctoring images.

They refuse to accept the sordid fact that they're fighting a losing battle. outwitted, outgunned, and definitely outsmarted 24-7

This is why we fight. 
    I can't figure out if you're on serious note or just joking.

You must thing that people have the attention span and memory capacity of an amoeba.

What's the status on that E.L.E you so vigorously foretold ? Date shifted again, for the 10tht time huh ? Keep your lawyers on high alert though.

Now go put some work on that thing resembling a game and come back after you've found some shards of credibility.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Shodanas said:
    Iselin said:
    Shodanas said:

Try harder next time.

Also,
    Who is "we" ?

You presume to much.
    You're just deflecting now about "proof of theft" since the penny seems to have dropped and you can't keep taking the ridiculous position that it's two different bodies.

As to who "we" is... that would be anyone who can read.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Bascola said:
    Shodanas said:

Unfortunately you're wrong, Jim Martin has clearly taken a stock image, 'shopped Sandi's head on it, done some blending etc why else would CIG be removing all evidence of the image.

What's probably happened here is that the stock image was used for a mockup, with all likelihood of it being paid for if they decided to run with it (this is common behaviour in the industry).
    But someone (probably Sandi seeing it appeared on her Facebook page) jumped the gun and used the mockup instead of ensuring all the i's were dotted and t's were crossed.

Yes we do it all the time :)  For internal only! But they used on Webpage, Video, Twitter and Facebook. That is a lot of oops! mistake.

If she is VP of Marketing then she should be fired and art director should be fired too because this is not acceptable for big business. In my company they would be not in the office today.
    You would remove watermarks for a mockup? I wouldn't.

The sloppy attempt at watermark and ring removal tells me this is no internal mockup that inadvertently was made public but more likely a deliberate attempt to pull a fast one. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

The sloppy attempt at watermark and ring removal tells me this is no internal mockup that inadvertently was made public but more likely a deliberate attempt to pull a fast one.
    Unless the copyright owner cries wolf, this is a non-issue.

As one of the posters above already said - it may well be that the picture fees have been paid, but the wrong image (the preview with the watermarks) has been used instead of the version without watermarks.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Iselin said:

As one of the posters above already said - it may well be that the picture fees have been paid, but the wrong image (the preview with the watermarks) has been used instead of the version without watermarks.

Have fun
    Yeah... the check is probably in the mail :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Bascola said:
    Shodanas said:

No we don't remove watermark, it is too much work. Concept has to be done fast and is only for initial composition and blocking. After internal review and art director gives OK, then Artist will take final composition and make unique artwork.

Yes it was not internal. This was a bad artist that has no talent. For good artists It take less time to draw this woman from start than removing watermark, changing color of dress, adding other head and removing ring. This was not done by artist it was done by amatour that pretend to be artist.

Sorry for harsh words but i have strorng feeling for artwork. It is how i feed my family.
    Bascola said:
    No we don't remove watermark, it is too much work. 

Exactly. Not worth the time for a mock-up.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Erillion said:
    Iselin said:

Have fun
    Copyright owner has made company remove all pictures. I wrote them email and they told me that they already passed it to the copyright department because someone mailed them yesterday with all the information.

How can a artist use watermark picture by accident? He look at the picture and thinks: "Oh yes this is good, i pay for picture and i am using watermark now. Everything is fine." Only really stupid artist and art director would use watermark picture when they paid for real picture. I have worked in art agency for 30 years and i never seen this happen.

I don't understand why you defend a company that steal artwork. What is this world you live in? Can i come to your place and steal your things?

I have no word for this.
    It's always amusing to watch MMORPG's concerned customers and "artists" with the help of the great DS being ever watchful and swift to expose CIG's shameful tactics in its efforts to promote this big scam they pretend to work on.

The fact that rest of the world doesn't deem the serious issues these concerned individuals raise as important enough to waste time on only tightens their resolve.

I'm eagerly waiting for the next big revelation by one of MMORPG's artists.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    If CIG was innocent then why did they take down the photos?  I do agree that this is kinda being blown out of proportion but at the same time at least admit they made a mistake.  We are seeing clearly who is a white knight and who has a level head and who is hating.  Hopefully its a learning mistake and we don't see this kinda thing again from them.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited June 2016
    Bascola said:

I don't understand why you defend a company that steal artwork.
    Errors happen.

If that was the case here, the copyright owner is owed an apology and the fee for his picture (plus compensation for his trouble). He has the right to follow up with legal procedure but my guess is he would rather like to get the money than to wait for the outcome of a legal battle.

Internally a company has to then take steps to avoid any such errors in the future e.g. by writing and distributing SOPs or Process Instructions. That is what ISO 9001 Quality Management and CIP (Continous Improvement Process) is for.

Good companies learn from their mistakes.

Have fun

PS:
    No, you cannot steal my stuff ....

PPS:
    I looked too  ...  yes .... that particular picture is not to be found anymore on Sandi Gardiners facebook account or the CIG webpage. Has been taken down it seems.

PPPS:
    In this case the error seems to have been made by a freelance contractor named Jim Martin and not CIG itself. For all we know CIG was assuming that this was a genuine artwork created by Jim Martin and had no reason to suspect that a photoshopped stock image may have been used.
    Post edited by Erillion on
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Shodanas said:
    @ OP : sorry, but you are full of BS.

What you show proves absolutely nothing and furthermore no one raises an issue about this except you, being a concerned "artist" of course, and the usual haters on MMORPG who saw an opportunity to spite and jumped on the wagon. Oh, and DS of course who despite calling us backers "shits" multiple times on these boards is still allowed to post.

Aren't you the one who wrote that CIG asked you for a subscription on order to play the SC alpha ?

Try harder next time.
    Come on.. this is indefensible.  It's obvious the photo was manipulated.  Are you really trying to say it's not?
This discussion has been closed.