Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hanging Up My Hat On This One..

Comments

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    DKLond said:
    It could have been the finest MMO on the planet if it was utterly and completely different, perhaps :)
    made me lol

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Deltois said:
    Best move you ll ever make.
    Yes, it's so fun having nothing to play eh? Don't see the point of you guys coming in threads just to say I told you so.

At least OP had fun and didn't feel robbed of their $30. Who knows maybe they might come back once Valencia comes to us, since the game is B2P you know.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    BDO.jpg 63.1K
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Scorchien said:
    lol was that made in paintbrush?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    MMO player plays MMO endgame for a few months, gets bored and quits.  News at 11.

does this game even have "End Game" ? i thought it was the never ending (grind) story. :P

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    MMO player plays MMO endgame for a few months, gets bored and quits.  News at 11.

does this game even have "End Game" ? i thought it was the never ending (grind) story. :P
    Grind is the endgame, same as any MMO.  Instead of grinding dungeons, you just grind the equivalent of trash mobs out in the open or do world bosses.

Also seiges and node wars come tomorrow.
  • LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    JDis25 said:
    Black Desert, Like Archeage could have been the best MMO on the planet. So much freedom, so much personal choice, consequences, guild comradery, you can really carve out your niche in the game.

Where it fails, is that it only appeals to the "hardcore" crowd. While anyone can have fun leveling a character to 50, this is not enough to be able to experience all this game has to offer. THAT is where the game fails. You see.. when Mediah came out, it only took me about a week or so to gear up for it. That's fine, it was wonderful seeing the new lands, and continuing with my progression.

Now, that I am getting to the point where I am fairly well geared, RNG is now the only way to get my character to where I need to be for upcoming content, Valencia. This and hours and hours of grinding to 55. Even if I manage to get myself to where I need to be for Valencia in a month's time (it's looking like it will be that long); by that time, I will hate this game, hate my class, I don't know how people do it. The combat isn't THAT good that I want to grind out BDO like a full-time job just to enjoy the new zone.

Why are Valencia's gear requirements so restrictive? Does that make BDO a better game to some people? Is that your badge of honor for slogging through endless hordes of easy-mode enemies and bosses?

Another annoying thing is that I finally got my witch's earrings, and marks of shadow, tree spirit belt. I was going to go through the horror of PRI'ing (upgrading) all of these, now they are gone from the marketplace and nobody cares about them anymore now that Pirate accessories are out, and when Valencia launches, even better accessories will come out... such a waste. Now I have to either somehow swipe them off the AH or grind them myself (not doing that). OR buy all new accessories, which means grind more money. grind, grind, grind. RNG, RNG, RNG.

It sucks because what this game does best, is what you will be doing the least. What this game does best, is what most players will never get to experience. And so it goes, another MMO that lost me due to being too demanding of my time, and primarily focused on the stuff that isn't all that fun. I know when it's time to quit a game when I login for the sole reason of not being left behind, rather than because the game is fun to me.

The problem is you, the player, not the game.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Can I have your stuff?  =)
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    It's easier to develop theme park grinding than it is to develop more sandbox elements, I think.  Which is why the majority of BDO's sandbox elements reach their end in terms of advancement potential, content, and relevance compared to the grind.

When you look at the majority of the content updates, it's almost always for the grind and barely any content updates at all for the sandbox aspects.  This isn't just the case for BDO but also for Archeage and Wakfu as well.  And SWG in some sense, really.  Even Ultima Online post-Age of Shadows, really.

Too bad, I suppose.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited June 2016
    It would be cool to PvP for gear. Craft jewelry, etc. I wish it offered up xp and items at faster rates. It would be nice if there wasn't infinite progression and it soft/hard capped at a reasonable point. I want to login and PvP with my guild and that is such a rare occurrence. I don't mind grinding trash, rng.. what I do mind is when that is what you login to do each and every time, it feels like.

I understand that's not what this games about, and I should look elsewhere. I really think many MMOs could take a page out of BDO's book too. But it's not going to reinvigorate the genre, I predict it follows the way of Archeage very soon. Maybe not as quickly, but still, I wish it wasn't this way. I wish it could have found a way to retain players and keep growing.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    You got burned out, its ok take a break instead of running here to make excuses for you playing too much. 
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited June 2016
    Also I feel I should point out, that I am NOT trying to be #1 on the server. I had given up being competitive in PvP as well. I just want to be able to explore the world and eventually be geared. I can't even do that until I grind and rng the existing content for much longer than the fun of it lasts. If I could be play the new content at 45D played and get to explore the whole game, would that really diminish the "elite's" accomplishments? I mean c'mon.... how much skin in the game do you need to hang with the big boys at some point?
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited June 2016
    JDis25 said:
    Also I feel I should point out, that I am NOT trying to be #1 on the server. I had given up being competitive in PvP as well. I just want to be able to explore the world and eventually be geared. I can't even do that until I grind and rng the existing content for much longer than the fun of it lasts. If I could be play the new content at 45D played and get to explore the whole game, would that really diminish the "elite's" accomplishments? I mean c'mon.... how much skin in the game do you need to hang with the big boys at some point?
    If i may make a suggestion to you.  Stop looking at numbers and just enjoy the game.  You won't have to be the best, nor have anywhere near the best gear to be able to participate in guild, node, siege, and castle wars.  You will be able to engage and have fun doing all of those things with your guild without having the best gear.  Just have fun with the game and try to stop chasing the carrot.  I know it's hard to do but you will find yourself having a lot more fun with the game if you approach it in this manner, instead of chasing stat numbers ad nauseum to the point of burn out.  The numbers will come in time.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited June 2016

"But the game doesn't focus on those, it focuses on RNG, and Grind."

Every MMO endgame focuses on RNG and grind.  Maybe they aren't usually as blatant as the gameplay in BDO, but the principle is the same.  All MMOs want to give you a reason to keep playing, and the best way devs have come up with for doing that is RNG and grind.

Seems like a shame to quit a day before Valencia and seiges.  As for why Valencia has high gear requirements, it's the final big update that I'm aware of.  It's supposed to last for a really long time.
    Not really the end of the grind lol. After Valencia, which I think has 3 major updates to it, you get all of the Awakenings. That means you need to grind out more skill points because the Awakened weapon has extra skills you need to spec into before you can even use the skills, you also need to level up to use them since they have level requirements, and you also need to grind out and enchant a weapon for it. By the time you finish all of that another patch will be out considering Korea is so far ahead and they pump out content at a crazy fast pace anyway. The grind will never stop.

And no, the grind and RNG is nothing like other games. Most Western games just have fun gameplay and you decide what activities you want to participate in and just have fun with, not pure mob grind. Levels and gear are also often easier to get, and there's little or usually no RNG involved in anything in those games.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545

If i may make a suggestion to you.  Stop looking at numbers and just enjoy the game.  You won't have to be the best, nor have anywhere near the best gear to be able to participate in guild, node, siege, and castle wars.  You will be able to engage and have fun doing all of those things with your guild without having the best gear. 
    I wonder if that would have hypothetically been the case or not.  Unless gear is equalized in guild, node, siege, and castle wars (which I don't think it was, but I could be wrong), going to them undergeared means you'd basically end up barely able to even hit the enemy while also getting obliterated over and over again, which doesn't seem like fun to me.  I could be wrong though.  Anyone know how it is in Korea?

(Of course, I say "Hypothetically" because I fully expect the western version to be an insane cheat-filled hack fest of ludicrous proportions)
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

Grind is the endgame, same as any MMO.  Instead of grinding dungeons, you just grind the equivalent of trash mobs out in the open or do world bosses.

Lol, no seiges and node wars do not come out tomorrow.
  • ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135

Tomorrow ??????
    Guess again !!! lol
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Is this heavy focus on endgame grind and gear upgrading a result of the fact that the game is designed to be an F2P game ?

Does the heavy RNG play into the Cash Shop in the regions outside NA/EU where the game's monetization is entirely Cash Shop based ?
  • KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174
    edited June 2016
    Lethality said:
    JDis25 said:
    Black Desert, Like Archeage could have been the best MMO on the planet. So much freedom, so much personal choice, consequences, guild comradery, you can really carve out your niche in the game.

Where it fails, is that it only appeals to the "hardcore" crowd. While anyone can have fun leveling a character to 50, this is not enough to be able to experience all this game has to offer. THAT is where the game fails. You see.. when Mediah came out, it only took me about a week or so to gear up for it. That's fine, it was wonderful seeing the new lands, and continuing with my progression.

Now, that I am getting to the point where I am fairly well geared, RNG is now the only way to get my character to where I need to be for upcoming content, Valencia. This and hours and hours of grinding to 55. Even if I manage to get myself to where I need to be for Valencia in a month's time (it's looking like it will be that long); by that time, I will hate this game, hate my class, I don't know how people do it. The combat isn't THAT good that I want to grind out BDO like a full-time job just to enjoy the new zone.

Why are Valencia's gear requirements so restrictive? Does that make BDO a better game to some people? Is that your badge of honor for slogging through endless hordes of easy-mode enemies and bosses?

Another annoying thing is that I finally got my witch's earrings, and marks of shadow, tree spirit belt. I was going to go through the horror of PRI'ing (upgrading) all of these, now they are gone from the marketplace and nobody cares about them anymore now that Pirate accessories are out, and when Valencia launches, even better accessories will come out... such a waste. Now I have to either somehow swipe them off the AH or grind them myself (not doing that). OR buy all new accessories, which means grind more money. grind, grind, grind. RNG, RNG, RNG.

It sucks because what this game does best, is what you will be doing the least. What this game does best, is what most players will never get to experience. And so it goes, another MMO that lost me due to being too demanding of my time, and primarily focused on the stuff that isn't all that fun. I know when it's time to quit a game when I login for the sole reason of not being left behind, rather than because the game is fun to me.

The problem is you, the player, not the game.
    This is your theme, Lethality: blame the gamer not the game. You still posting this angle stubbornly on Wildstar forums?

I think the OP fully realizes his preferences interfered with his enjoyment of BDO. This is no revelation nor a reason to dismiss his opinions, which I think were fairly stated.

It seems many posters here seem to want to cast the OP as whiny or entitled when in fact he is simply presenting a point of view. Forums are fairly simple. You have an opinion; you write an opinion; others reply with opinions. If a thread begins with a fact, you can be assured that opinions will follow. But facts alone would undoubtedly be the end of forums.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited June 2016
    You should be able to play the game how you want. His enjoyment comes from trying to be one of the better equipped characters and that involves grinding. I am just surprised that he did not realise that this goal would require grinding before he bought the game. I think the nature was never hidden. If you do play a game that has these types of grinds then you quit because of the grind (puzzled) I don't see why you have to post about it.

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174
    kitarad said:
    You should be able to play the game how you want. His enjoyment comes from trying to be one of the better equipped characters and that involves grinding. I am just surprised that he did not realise that this goal would require grinding before he bought the game. I think the nature was never hidden. If you do play a game that has these types of grinds then you quit because of the grind (puzzled) I don't see why you have to post about it.
    Well, I agree that his grinding argument is a weakness in his OP, but he did actually reply to that, somewhat convincingly, afterward--not all grinding is felt as grinding sort of argument.

As to why he would have to post about it.  I mean why not? I never really felt the reasoning behind those that argue for never posting I quit threads. I personally enjoy reading well written ones, as I think the OP is. Maybe he merely wants feedback from the knowledgeable enthusiasts here. Perhaps he is just commiserating. Or some other reason. Seems perfectly legit use of forums to me, regardless.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    It's subjective you see. Each person's threshold for grinding is subjective. So I don't see how him saying that he's sick of the grind is going to help anyone aside from venting about not realising how bad the grind was going to be. 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Thanks for making an "I quit" thread.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Sorry I had to LOL the OP post. He's quiting the game for ALL THE WRONG REASONS. Yes, BDO caters the hard core PvP players (when sieging is implemented even more), but that should not be the reason OP should quit. IMO he should quit for the massive hacking, duping and other cheats that DAUM is just ignoring and not doing a fuck about, because of that as legit player you have no way to ever be able to be competitive in ANY thing you do in the game - even PvE!
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Reizla said:
    Sorry I had to LOL the OP post. He's quiting the game for ALL THE WRONG REASONS. Yes, BDO caters the hard core PvP players (when sieging is implemented even more), but that should not be the reason OP should quit. IMO he should quit for the massive hacking, duping and other cheats that DAUM is just ignoring and not doing a fuck about, because of that as legit player you have no way to ever be able to be competitive in ANY thing you do in the game - even PvE!
    Are they not doing anything about them yet? I thought I read they were. Dang. I was going to go try the game out again to see if it clicks this time, but if the hacks and duping are still rampant then I don't know if I want to put any time into it.