Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why you should back Chronicles of Elyria.

123457»

Comments

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I would have more faith in the game if they had some sort of schedule.  What is their time frame for development? ETA on pre-alpha, alpha, beta? They have enough money for the core game yet I'm not hearing anything about fleshing out the world.
    Their expecting release around Dec 2017 for the game. I was told that today while watching the live stream they had. As far as alpha and beta not really sure; good question I should of asked that lol

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Nanfoodle said:
    Archlyte said:
    Gralius said:
    So why would I say something totally uncharacteristic like "you should back Elyria"?

Quite simply because this genre needs games like this. 

Perma Death will answer that question for a lot of people, me included. 

I would be far more optimistic if the perma death 'feature' were dropped.

Dropping Perma-Death would kill the concept of the game. It's not really Perma-Death but forced reincarnation. In essence your soul is your character and the soul gets more powerful with each life. This puts a tension in the game of how much/what can you achieve in that incarnation's lifetime. 

The lifetime given is not inconsequential unless you back to back murder in order to voldemort your lifespark and shorten your lifespan for that life dramatically. So it isn't a life that goes by in a flash. 

CoE isn't Perma Death like RUST or DayZ, it's something different.
    Yes its different but also the same. Round 1, I can run 50 feet. Round 2 I can run faster so I run 60 feet, round 3 I run 70 feet. So they have recycled in 3 rounds 110 feet of content. As a casual gamer in my chars life time I will never make it as far as a hardcore gamer. So some content will be locked from me. In other MMOs as a casual gamer with a strong guild. Very little is locked out for me. I just dont see this as a positive.

Also they have not covered a problem brought up on this forum. Guild A hates Guild B (always ends up happening) So the 260 members of guild A decide each member is going to PK the guild leader of Guild B. Sending him into early perma death. Forcing him to spend 30 bucks. This could end up being a real problem as they could force someone out of the game by making them spend 30 bucks every few weeks. I think this death system attached to a payment model, kinda problematic. 

Sad thing is, the rest of the game is just what I am looking for. This is almost the game I want. This saddens me greatly. 
    That is the problem; casuals want a genre that is developed for hardcore(in timewise) to cater to them and ruined the genre because of it.

MurderHerd

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Nanfoodle said:
    Archlyte said:
    Gralius said:
    So why would I say something totally uncharacteristic like "you should back Elyria"?

Quite simply because this genre needs games like this. 

Perma Death will answer that question for a lot of people, me included. 

I would be far more optimistic if the perma death 'feature' were dropped.

Dropping Perma-Death would kill the concept of the game. It's not really Perma-Death but forced reincarnation. In essence your soul is your character and the soul gets more powerful with each life. This puts a tension in the game of how much/what can you achieve in that incarnation's lifetime. 

The lifetime given is not inconsequential unless you back to back murder in order to voldemort your lifespark and shorten your lifespan for that life dramatically. So it isn't a life that goes by in a flash. 

CoE isn't Perma Death like RUST or DayZ, it's something different.
    Yes its different but also the same. Round 1, I can run 50 feet. Round 2 I can run faster so I run 60 feet, round 3 I run 70 feet. So they have recycled in 3 rounds 110 feet of content. As a casual gamer in my chars life time I will never make it as far as a hardcore gamer. So some content will be locked from me. In other MMOs as a casual gamer with a strong guild. Very little is locked out for me. I just dont see this as a positive.

Also they have not covered a problem brought up on this forum. Guild A hates Guild B (always ends up happening) So the 260 members of guild A decide each member is going to PK the guild leader of Guild B. Sending him into early perma death. Forcing him to spend 30 bucks. This could end up being a real problem as they could force someone out of the game by making them spend 30 bucks every few weeks. I think this death system attached to a payment model, kinda problematic. 

Sad thing is, the rest of the game is just what I am looking for. This is almost the game I want. This saddens me greatly. 
    That is the problem; casuals want a genre that is developed for hardcore(in timewise) to cater to them and ruined the genre because of it.
    Nah Brosephus pvp centric games killed the genre.
  • vernesvernes Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    vernes said:
    Now we have kickstarter, and now the original development team controls the result.
    What result?
    Yay to take a single part of a whole comment.
    When out into the context of the whole thread that sentence made sense. 
    No you are just misinterpreting my sentece by focusing on CoE.
    I mean it.. what results do we have with kickstarter projects so far?

vernes made a post about how he remembers things.
    Then surely he can name 3 games where devs said they had been pushed away from their original concepts.

And on the opposite to that 3 released kickstarter games that releases with the exact features they had promised.
    Ultima Online was an isometric game, a 2D mmorpg that created the impression of 3D through isometric tiles.
    EverQuest was also active in that period but EverQuest was 3D, this was spectacular in that time. 
    It was only logical that UltimaOnline, dispite its success would tread into the 3D market.
    Which they did with UltimaOnline2.
    The new gameworld was ripe with story and they had even a merchandise contract with McFarlane Toys, they already were producing toys as the game was a few month away from being released to the public. 
    EA-Games was the publisher, the money behind Origin Systems.
    With just a few month to go, someone pulled the plug at EA-Games.
    This was not the result of long deliberations, this was done by a singular person who was retroactively backed by other managers. 
    The logic was that UO2 would be a competitor for their UO subscribers. 
    Yes, they were afraid to lose subscribers... to themselves. 
    The decision was made in such a short period, the company wasn't even able to resolve all the issues.
    Eventually McFarlane Toys had to contact EA-Games and remind them they would sue the hell out of them if they would breach the contract.
    They expected payment for a dumpload of figurines of a game they cancelled.
    So they forced EA-Games to create an expansion of the existing game using the storyline that was meant for a brand new gameengine. I remember someone posting that it seemed they killed a young game to harvest its organs to extend the life of their elderly product.

But that's just one I remember personally.

I remember how simcopter could use the city-file from simcity.
    Streets of simcity as well.
    I was sure Maxis would end up with some simcity mmo.
    But we ended up with a dollhouse simulator. 

StarWars Galaxies had what Elyria may give us back, a rare magic class.
    Something you can't pick but have to run into at a very low chance.
    The rare Jedi class was something special, now you can pick it at character creation.

I remember command and conquer, it was a fun game.
    I tried to find it today.
    I found something but its definitely NOT Command and Conquer.

I hope you are at least willing to see why 'I' welcome ANY alternative to Massive Corporate Publishers.
    Kickstarter is 'an' alternative, and I like using it even if it's only to stick it to publishers.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    edited June 2016
    Oh I fully understand that you are looking for an alternative MMO experience.

I also understand that you hate EA but using that UO thing as example and pointing out that you don't like how Command & Conquer titles have changed I still don't understand one thing.

Why do you praise Kickstarter so much? Where are the examples of Kickstarter games that promised you something and the games released with the majority of those promises kept?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    backing this game is like backing into my future cause ill be president of the mmo industry and ill promise great things. Just need 200mil.
    Dakeru said:
    (snip)
    Why do you praise Kickstarter so much? Where are the examples of Kickstarter games that promised you something and the games released with the majority of those promises kept?
    You are asking a loaded question. You imply I praise Kickstarter and ask why.
    This is like asking someone where you got the stolen item.
    You imply it is stolen and ask where it was stolen from.
    If you had read carefully, you would have noticed the sentence:
    "I hope you are at least willing to see why 'I' welcome ANY alternative to Massive Corporate Publishers."
    I like IndieGogo, Patreon, RocketHub, GoFundMe(to an extend).
    So to answer the question you didn't ask, I don't praise Kickstarter, I praise being able to finance games 'I' like instead of buying games that publishers find profitable.

I already ran one demand from you to spit out a list of games that were altered (arguable for the worst) by the demands of the publishers.
    I have no desire to keep running for your pleasure to create lists in some attempt to move the goalpost in your favour.
    I suggest you come up with better counterarguments that doesn't require some arbitrary threshold of items on a list.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Yeah in other words showing that big companies have a dirty record is enough to you.
    But I will tell you something.

Behind every KS funding is company - not as big as EA - but on par when it comes to overpromising and underdelivering as the big guys.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited June 2016
    Dakeru said:
    Yeah in other words showing that big companies have a dirty record is enough to you.

Behind every KS funding is company - not as big as EA - but on par when it comes to overpromising and underdelivering as the big guys.
    There where like 5 Kick-starter mmos and all where in pre development cycle and none released fully  yet so your statement are invalid and inaccurate. 
    We believers and supporters trusted Caspian and after they announced  partner ship with Improbable   every thing just makes more sens .
    [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Dakeru said:

Size is not the issue, you know that right? 
    I am talking about two completely different types of companies.
    The very primary function of a publisher is to make a profit, not to make a 'good game'.
    It's nice if they value a 'good game' as a great way to crank up profits, but altering the gameplay so you can pay-to-win is so much better for profit.
    Sure the lifespan of a product is reduced, but if profits are high enough, it just means the same amount of profit in a shorter span of time. 

Are you saying that companies who's main focus is profit, break games just as often as the development-team themselves do?
    And that because of this kickstarter projects are as bad as Publisher-funded games are?

I disagree, I think MORE games get attention through kickstarter that would normally wouldn't even see the outside of the basement.
    I think that crowd-funding platforms allow us to see the massive torrent of indie projects we'd normally would never see.
    And the increase of projects that also fail is now being used as an argument against crowd-funded games.