Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what are the best mmo's out right now.

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
I am picky when it comes to my choice of a MMO.  I like MMO's that have it all.  Good PVE, Immersion, Crafting, and PVP. Games I do like are EQ2, LOTRO, and DAOC.   They are all very old school.

I was thinking BDO.  But it really does have a serious hacking issue.  Is Age of Conan still a good option? SWTOR?  I keep going back to LOTRO.

What are the current mmo's that can offer these qualities?  I keep finding myself going back to LOTRO.  Only because it offers all the qualities I look for except for pvp.

So what newer titles are out for the offering.  Which do you think are the best ones?

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    In my opinion, the only "full" MMO that's modern would be ESO.

It's far from perfect, but it's the best of the modern MMOs, in my opinion.

BDO, to me, is a bad joke in terms of PvE and immersion. Others will obviously disagree.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    LotRO is a really good pick for keep going back to :wink:

AoC is good, even if development is quite slow lately. But if you missed it so far, it definitely worths a play through. Not sure about the pvp part, I think even the Ettenmoors is more active :wink:  Funcom recently merged the remaining two pvp servers into one, so I don't think it was thriving with population.

TOR was great for the class stories, not sure how the level-downgrading and the chapters changed the experience (still waiting for the last one, to grab all with a single month sub :lol: ). Crafting is... meh, AoC's crafting is much better even without the years-long promised crafting revamp. Pvp is maybe a bit more active, but the pvp flagging mechanic is crap (like most flagging mechanics out there)

Newer titles, best one, well, currently I'm playing TSW :wink:  (as a hopper I used to rotate my main games)
    The PvE, the story and the community is on par with LotRO. Pvp is there, I'm not into that but as I've heard it's fairly popular (has all kinda pvp modes, luckily all of them within instances). However, in the crafting department it maybe isn't what you're looking for, it has only assembling.
  • RyuushimaRyuushima Member UncommonPosts: 63
    BDO is pretty bad in my opinion, yeah it starts of "fresh"  but that freshness quickly goes away and then you can look at the actual quality of the game...lackluster in both PvP and PvE so then the only good thing you have is the insanely fun to explore world.

Swtor probably has the best leveling experience due to the story-based leveling but the endgame of Swtor is completely meh as well unfortunately.

I know ARK is not a real mmorpg but honestly to me it has felt the closest to a proper mmorpg I've played in the last few years.  Only serious downside of ARK are the taming times which are a total no-go if you have work or school so you'd need to play on a server with like x10 taming speed. 

Blade & Soul actual gameplay I like the most out of current mmorpg's but once more the endgame is insanely bad. Just farming dailies every single day to hope and get item upgrades and money for item upgrades ( very expensive ).  PvP in Blade & Soul was insanely entertaining though and made it so that it is hard for me to go back to tradditional mmo pvp.

All in all there is not a single mmo I can really recommend right now but at least Swtor has a fun leveling experience so you can try that out for free just for the story ( or watch the youtube videos if you don't want to actually play it ).
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vendetta, WoW, and Eve get my vote.

That's about as new as I'll go to recommend with confidence.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited June 2016
    There are no new titles other than BDO (also I guarantee you that the hacking situation has been blown out of all proportion), all the old ones are still running.  ESO, GW2, WoW etc all offer what you stated.  If you are happy playing games with mediocre to passable pvp then you can also try ffxiv or tera.

End of the day it really only comes down to art style, almost all mmorpg titles are clones of wow anyway.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    ESO bar far!!  BDO was horrible!

ESO gets my vote because of the awesome look, pve, pvp, crafting/professions and exploring.

I love how it doesn't look like a kiddie game.  Sure, I like WOW, but it looks so kiddie now.  And, FFIV make you feel like you need to be sucking a pacifier while playing.  ESO looks and feels modern and real.  The gear is highly customize-able and can be dyed to give it your own style.

ESO lets you get into the best MMORPG, on earth, at level 10.  It is made to be super easy to join large groups while doing Cryodiil pvp.  Cryodiil is huge and the 3 faction pvp is epic... I love the non-vet (under level 50) pvp campaign called Blackwater Blade.

As true MMORPGs go ESO is great and it has a lot of awesome guilds (read SOCIAL here!).  MMORPGs are supposed to be SOCIAL!!!

love

Sz  :)
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    edited June 2016
    ESO, or FFXIV would be my picks for a pure mmorpg.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    None of the current MMOs offer anything like those old games (whatever some here say about ESO), that doesn't mean they are bad but if you want something similar to those old games you will be dissapointed.

2 games in development worth to look on in Pantheon and Camelot Unchained, they both seems to be exactly what you are looking for but since I havn't tried either alpha I can't be sure. Someone who tried either might offer more about this.

So your choices is basically to wait for them, play something old or try something new and different like GW2 or ESO. Those 2 last are very good but nothing like you ask for.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Playing FFXIV:ARR right now and enjoying it. To say it's the best MMO available now (for me) would not be correct. Like Loke666 said, nothing available right now is close to those old games which most of us loved so much and most likely introduced us to the genre...
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    I have been looking at Camelot  Unchained.  That may be the game I am looking for.  I appreciate the responses.  At current ill stick to LOTRO for a while. 
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    lol... we tried

Sz  :)
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    FFXIV is probably most like you asked for, but I dont think any of the newer MMORPGs are on the same level of LOTRO or EQ2.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Write down the name of every single MMO named in this thread on its own piece of paper.  Then put those pieces of paper in a hat and shake it real well without letting any of the paper fly out.. Then pick one, read it, laugh out loud, then make your own damn decision.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    xpowderx said:
    I am picky when it comes to my choice of a MMO.  I like MMO's that have it all.  Good PVE, Immersion, Crafting, and PVP. Games I do like are EQ2, LOTRO, and DAOC.   They are all very old school.

I was thinking BDO.  But it really does have a serious hacking issue.  Is Age of Conan still a good option? SWTOR?  I keep going back to LOTRO.

What are the current mmo's that can offer these qualities?  I keep finding myself going back to LOTRO.  Only because it offers all the qualities I look for except for pvp.

So what newer titles are out for the offering.  Which do you think are the best ones?
    I tried everything under the sun but I keep going back to LOTRO every time. I think were addicted to immersive environments. Maybe VR in the future will help us.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Gawd not one of these threads again.
    You will never EVER get 100% correct answer on this dead horse question.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Out of Reach.

ok its not an MMO its a server based game but there is no single player option so does that count?
    oh and its early access
    oh and its pretty friggin awesome

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I havent played it but has BDO fallen that far already? just seems like a month ago it was the greatest thing since sliced bread....mmmm sliced bread
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I havent played it but has BDO fallen that far already? just seems like a month ago it was the greatest thing since sliced bread....mmmm sliced bread
    Not sure but hacking seems to have a lot of folks pissed off beyond reason.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Maurgrim said:

There is no correct answer. "best" is subjective.
  • GroundlessGroundless Member UncommonPosts: 42
    FFXIV has challenging endgame content for an eight man team right now. The final raid battle takes around 80 - 90 hours of practice to effectively complete. Overall it provides the most polished and balanced MMO experience right now.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    In terms of world scope and progression mechanics, Tera and LotRO share a quite a bit. They share nothing in character and animation mind you.

FF14 is going to feel very cramped after LotRO. They are both on rails in many ways. I can't speak for BDO. The system requirements kept me out of it. In the end if you like LotRO, stay there. It's alt friendly. Make a new character.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited June 2016
    Maurgrim said:

There is no correct answer. "best" is subjective.
    Not at all true. People, places and things are declared the best regularly based on quantifiable, definitive criteria, why not MMOs?

Consumer Reports declares a best auto brand every year, Sports athletes such as the Williams sister are declared the best.

We've got the "best" cities to live or work in, the best university list, the best value in dining, usually all based on defined criteria which they meet or exceed.

Which is why you are confused here, because the criteria can be different for each user then it appears subjective. 

But if we first agree on a set of criteria, then determing the best of anything becomes a much easier task.

The OP actually provided some clear examples of titles he considers best, so only titles that are similar in design can be fairly evaluated against the set criteria really.

EVE's a great MMORPG (perhaps even "the best")  but based on the OPs list I can't recommend it, just won't be what he us looking for.

Post edited by Kyleran on

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    ESO is the best themepark MMO from a western developer currently, imho.

FFXIV:ARR is the best themepark MMO from a eastern developer currently, imho.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    For me the best ones currently are;
    Eve Online, BDO, FFXIV:ARR, WoW, SW;TOR.
    Each is good in its own particular way, i accept each ones faults as acceptable and enjoy playing them regardless, and of course, the all important one, they are fun games to play.
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Skyforge, Defiance
    and waiting the Project Genom and World of Speed
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN