Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Newsletter!

CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 62
yup... still reading it.image

Comments

• GrimCreepGrimCreep Member Posts: 121
    oh yeah meeee tooooooooooooooimage

Lead with your face and role with the punches.

• StowawayStowaway Member Posts: 165

can someone please post it?

I'm yet to recieve it, I think my mail is down or something ::::16::

• BlackmoorBlackmoor Member Posts: 96

Dear Friends of Fallen Earth™,

Over the next several months we at Icarus are going introduce you to some of the aspects of Fallen Earth's world, beginning with the people who live within it. We’ll keep you up to date on progress too, but we figured this would be more interesting than regurgitating the same “we’re making progress and will release when we’re ready” mantra. The next six newsletters will contain information on the different factions, each from its own point of view. There are no “classes” in Fallen Earth. Instead these factions are groups that players can ally themselves with or not as they wish.

We'll begin with the Enforcers, guardians of law and order.

We came to the town of Lanson’s Crossing at 0900 hours on March 13th. We’d heard from some of the scouts that the Black Hound Raiders had been causing trouble in the area after we chased them out of Crosston. We armored up and marched right in with guns held ready, looking for the person in charge. Nothing like real military soldiers to make people stand up and take notice. You could almost hear the local troublemakers quaking in their boots. We found the mayor easy enough with all the attention we got and offered to help him deal with the raiders. We cut the standard deal pretty quick: we deal with the raiders while he agrees to abide by our laws and regulations. We don’t tolerate thieving, killing, or lawlessness – the sort of stuff decent people never do. We don’t save those sorts of people, we string them up. The mayor also promised to send regular supplies of food to our base a few miles to the south. Reasonable payment for cleaning up the town and getting rid of the Black Hounds. The next day we marched out into the wastes.

It took us six whole days, two more than predicted, but we got them all. We returned with twelve bags of raider heads, sixty heads in all. Eight of us took out the entire Black Hound Raiders without losing a man. The town won’t have trouble with them again, but just to make sure, Commander Griffin sent in a squad to keep the peace after we left. They’ll institute the standard protocols – catching any local thieves, keeping the usual suspects under control, organizing a militia, a nominal tax to pay for our continued support. You know, the usual. The mayor will have to step back a bit, but in the long run, the town will prosper and there’ll be peace.

As requested I’ve put together some material on the activities of some of the other groups in North Fields for our new recruits. While some of these groups may be our allies, I don’t think I should be going soft on the truth with the recruits.

On March 15th, while patrolling the towns to the south, I stopped by Picus Ridge, one of the settlements run by the Techs, to see about getting some new scopes. They’re the only ones around here that know anything about grinding glass. The Techs have put more effort into getting this place running than previously reported, and it’s very impressive. Electric lights, hot water, machines that wash clothes, and even a functioning vid with some undamaged discs showing family life from before the Fall. The folks on the vid sure seemed to be having a great time. There must’ve been a ton of other people there too, because even though we couldn’t see them, they kept laughing and laughing at this family. It sure seemed like easy living. Got to hand it to the Techs. If they can get us back to those times, well, we can only hope. Tech towns are usually amazing places. Sometimes I envy the non-Techs lucky enough to live there, but then you see the work they do to pay for their luxuries.

These so-called helpers do all the cooking, growing, and general work while the Techs spend most of their time researching things I couldn’t begin to understand. The Techs aren’t much for the concerns of the common man. I’ve heard rumors that some of the locals are being used in experiments with mutations. I’m not saying I believe it, and I know some Techs who sure wouldn’t abide by it, but I saw some pretty screwed up people in that place. Made me wonder if we’re not turning a blind eye to something we shouldn’t.

I guess trying to rebuild the old golden age of science is a tough business that takes a lot of dedication. I just hope they don’t cross the line.

The Travelers are all over the region, always on the move, looking for a deal. If you need it, chances are they have it or know someone who can get it, but don’t ask where it came from. Weapons, food, drugs, information – if you’re willing to deal with scum, they’ve got it all. Sure, they try to present themselves as legitimate traders, and there are a few of us who will do some trade with them on occasion. But for the most part, we are quicker to lock them up than we are to do any dealings. They do a lot more business on the shady side of things than on the legitimate side. You want to gamble, drink, or sample some other vice, the Travelers are the ones to talk to. They’ve got their hands in all sorts of unsavory businesses, from trafficking stolen goods to contract killing. You just better be discrete and have the chips to pay for it. The Travelers tend to make examples of people who don’t pay their debts. Painful examples.

We ran into some Travelers on the way to Lanson’s Crossing. Seems a water well had gone bad and they were making a fortune selling water they’d shipped in to the locals. Something smelled wrong about it, and sure enough, a few roughed-up Travelers later, we found out they’d poisoned the well in order to create a “market opportunity.” We strung them up the next morning, not wanting to waste good bullets on scum like that. Hopefully they’ll be more generous to the crows. Nothing gets me angrier than people taking advantage of the misery of others. We’ve got communities of good folks desperately needing supplies to build and grow. A good trading partner would help the whole region prosper, but the Travelers are all about the bottom line. Yeah, they’ll provide you with what you need, but somehow when all is said and done, you’ll find yourself without a shirt.

As much as I dislike the Travelers, they’re nothing compared to the Chota. The Chota are convinced that everything before the Fall was corrupt and evil, so they’re trying to destroy whatever remains of it. Somehow, they think living like animals is the future. Their thinking is so backwards, it makes me want to shoot something. Any sane person knows the only chance we’ve got is to drag ourselves back to the ways of civilized folks, with rules, laws, and order to keep everything together. Wanting to live like savages makes about as much sense as keeping a rattler for a pet. They’re so twisted in the head, they take pride in their so-called shamans who worship radioactive sludge!

The Chota may hate all forms of tech, but they’re not stupid. If they were just mindless savages we could take them all out without much trouble. And believe me, the region would be better off. But anyone who’s seen a massive Chota rifle knows that they can build things when they have to. You’d think that people who want nothing to do with technology would be bothered by using things that Techs produce. Not the Chota, though. Total hypocrites. Never mind that a whole bunch of them are mutants, which only makes them more dangerous. Fortunately they’re so unorganized they usually can only scrounge up an axe or a nailbat, but for all their crazy ideas, they seem to grow like weeds and hang around like roaches.

We’ve all had run-ins with the Chota at some point or another, and I’ve had more than I care to remember. The one that wakes me up at night in a cold sweat was during a skirmish near Fracture. We were trying to get out of the area after helping some locals recover some livestock when we realized we were in Chota territory. It was a stack of skulls and skins that gave it away, though the wild howling was a big clue. They came charging out of the morning mist with clubs and axes, all rusted and caked in some nasty glowing slime. We shot down half of them before they reached us, but the remaining half didn’t care. We lost a lot of good men that day, and my right leg has never really recovered from the thrashing it took. Nope, Shiva wasn’t enough, now we got the Chota too.

Most people I know see the Vistas as a bunch of deluded fools chasing a lost cause. They are always on about protecting the plants and animals of the Province, trying to make the whole place livable again. I’d say there’s not much chance of that happening. They certainly know more about plants and animals than anyone else though, and they produce more food than any other group in the sector. But as with so many fanatics, there’s always something that gets in the way of good sense.

The Vistas hate tech with a passion, and, unlike the Chota, they stand by their principles. Anything that pollutes or threatens the environment they will go after with a vengeance. While they don’t seem to be natural killers, there are a good number of Techs who would say otherwise. As a rule, we steer clear of Vista territories. Sure, we could take them out if we wanted, but what would be the point? They do some good work, create a lot of food for the Province, and are mostly peaceful if left alone. No, for the most part we just treat them like a crazy cousin. No reason getting them all stirred up.

We might even be friendly with the Vistas were it not for the raiding teams. On March 2nd, we camped in the southwestern section of Northfields while on routine raider patrol. We woke up one morning and found our comm-units and extra ammo gone. Good thing we sleep with our guns. Normally I’d think only Travelers could get past the night guard, but all our other supplies were untouched. No, odds are if we looked hard enough we’d find a pile of smashed tech somewhere nearby, courtesy of our neighborly tree huggers.

Last year, one of the boys in Post #23 came down with a bad fever and we brought him west to the Lightbearer monastery at Tranquility for healing. They took him in and gave him all manner of ground-up herbs and powders. From what I saw of the place, they even have the tools for cutting a person open, working on their innards, then putting them back almost like new. The healer got the boy right again and only asked for a small donation in return. The Lightbearers know more about medicine and healing than anyone else in this day and age, both in the old ways of healing and the new. We stayed in their monastery for a week helping them care for others, and they do seem a good bunch of people… for the most part.

We’ve heard rumors about some of the Lightbearers thinking that mutants are somehow

better than humans. They think they are better equipped to survive and reach spirtual enlightenment. Not all of them think that, but I’ve heard some of the Lightbearers are even more outspoken, saying that all humans “unblessed by Shiva’s touch” are eventually going to die off. A few even suggest it might be a good idea to help the untouched make their exit. But despite a few bad eggs, we get along well with the Lightbearers. They appreciate our help keeping the region safe from the lawless, and we appreciate their dedication to bettering themselves in a civilized manner. No one knows the ways of mending a body better than they do, something we make use of regularly, so we like being friendly with them.

That’s about it for this report. I’ll keep you updated if there’s any news worth your time. We’re keeping everything locked down so I don’t expect you’ll hear anything till the big offensive.

Looks to me like we just got a partial faction list :)

• KohrathKohrath Member Posts: 35

You can view an online version here:
    http://www.fallenearth.se/files/newsletter 6.html

FallenEarth.se - Your source for Fallen Earth information.