Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New P2W SotA philosophy ???

Abydos-CDDAbydos-CDD Member UncommonPosts: 98
edited May 2016 in Shroud of the Avatar
Hail Avatars, I wonder how you see the latest news of Friday announced that we can now buy gold via the ''add on store'' and more ?

Link here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/gold-crowns-of-the-obsidians.51838/
Post edited by Abydos-CDD on

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I dunno, it doesn't sound like the only currency, and it sounds like you can earn it super easy too. Most people don't seem to be complaining at least on the first page.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    edited May 2016
    This is one game I really have no interest in at all. Everything about it seems old and dated just like "Lord British" himself. I'm not interested in funding any more of his trips into space or whatever other idiotic nonsense he does. People like him need to just retire so we can maybe at some point get someone with some new ides to try to make a game that we haven't been playing carbon copies of for the past 20 years. 
  • jtripperjtripper Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Hail Avatars, I wonder how you see the latest news of Friday announced that we can now buy gold via the ''add on store'' and more ?

Link here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/gold-crowns-of-the-obsidians.51838/
    They're getting some pretty vocal backlash and are going to drop the original conversion ($1 = 2500g) in the next patch down to 250g.  But yeah, the buffs you can get with the crowns and the max durability repair is total P2W.  It's hilarious watching the blind fanboys squirm and complain and then talk themselves into saying how it's a good thing for the game.  I've never seen so much blind idiocy and stupidity in my life.

I dunno, it doesn't sound like the only currency, and it sounds like you can earn it super easy too. Most people don't seem to be complaining at least on the first page.
    Actually, no, it's not earned super easy unless you simply buy it.  It is an extremely rare drop.  There are many high level folks who play literally 8 hours a day every day and have never had one drop for them.

I wonder how much further they'll drop the conversion or modify the buffs you get so it's not so icky P2W.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    i think it was pretty clear already when this game announced a combat system with decks ..

All that britsh had to do is make UO in 3d nothing more less nothing less.. yet he thinks he knows better..

Good luck tho.. but i alreadt scrapped this game from my list due to crappy combat
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

All that britsh had to do is make UO in 3d nothing more less nothing less.. yet he thinks he knows better..

He can't. He doesn't own Ultima Online, EA does. Knowing EA, if anything even remotely resembles UO, then the lawyers come out.
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    jtripper said:

They're getting some pretty vocal backlash and are going to drop the original conversion ($1 = 2500g) in the next patch down to 250g.  But yeah, the buffs you can get with the crowns and the max durability repair is total P2W.  It's hilarious watching the blind fanboys squirm and complain and then talk themselves into saying how it's a good thing for the game.  I've never seen so much blind idiocy and stupidity in my life.

Actually, no, it's not earned super easy unless you simply buy it.  It is an extremely rare drop.  There are many high level folks who play literally 8 hours a day every day and have never had one drop for them.

I wonder how much further they'll drop the conversion or modify the buffs you get so it's not so icky P2W.
    Yeah it is laughable to watch these fanboys.

Pay to win games is the worst of all MMO games. The richer the player is in his real life the easier he will be able to dominate over others not so real life rich players.

Every player should start from the same position at game start, no one should be able to buy them self a head start as we seen players do in this game.

How even fan boys can defend this is nothing but amazing, i guess they have a lot of $ put into the game and they are getting desperate and finally start to understand that their investment is very, very far from solid. High investors in this game will loose a lot of their invested money.
    edited May 2016
    kylver said:

He can't. He doesn't own Ultima Online, EA does. Knowing EA, if anything even remotely resembles UO, then the lawyers come out.
    Your wrong.

He could have made a UO2 just called it something else and he would be just ok.

Problem with these developers that is making the combat system lack experience in what players prefer.

In UO Garriott had a very talanted developer in Raph Koster and he delivered the best combat system ever seen so far. Chris for example lack in experience and he dont listen to the community, well he say he do but he only listen to the ones that have put in the hi money pledges.

That is also a reason why this game is so incredibly bad today. Had he listened to the experienced old school UO players that knew what makes a PvP system good then this game might have had a chance to succeed, as it is today they have as much chance as a ice cone in hell.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Aragon100 said:
    kylver said:

Your wrong.

He could have made a UO2 just called it something else and he would be just ok.

Instead he made this worthless game, just sad to watch him making a fool of himself.

I'm convinced he's remaking Ultima 9. The game looks just like it, and has about the same amount of effort put into it. Ultima 9 has better graphics though. 

Richard used his name to sucker us into paying for this disaster of a game. There's nothing here that hasn't been done better in other games that aren't pay to win. For fuck's sake, the conversation system they're using is from Ultima 6! And he had the nerve to push it as something new, and hid the highlighted key words in demos to make it seem more dynamic, to make it look as if you had to speak to the NPCs as you would to people, but no. It's the same boring key word system that's been around since what, Ultima 2?

I hope next time he goes into space, he stays there. Greedy swindler. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Aragon100 said:
    How even fan boys can defend this is nothing but amazing, i guess they have a lot of $ put into the game and they are getting desperate and finally start to understand that their investment is very, very far from solid. High investors in this game will loose a lot of their invested money.
    Too late, it was a donation, they've lost all the money already.

More seriously though, games need to stop this p2w crap.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Sad to see another indie game sell out. I'd like to think they had no other choice.

• OnirikOnirik Member UncommonPosts: 17
    edited May 2016
    You even don't know what it means "pay to win".
    Same model as Guild Wars2 is P2W?? No // B2P? YES!

Pay to Win: Games that let you buy better gear or allow you to make better items then everyone else at a faster rate and then makes the game largely unbalanced even for people who have skill in the game without paying.

Buy To Play: Requires a purchase of an account/box to access the game, no further required subscription or purchases are necessary to access the game.

---

No one is threatening you to purchase coins for cosmetic use or low impact in the game.

Your posts reek as usual.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited May 2016
    I'm one of those that doesn't mind the crowns and using the GW2 model. It's a good model for boosts/cosmetic items/effects/glowies/special dyes/wings...whatever.

What I don't agree with is the current proposal of crowns being the only way to repair your equipment back to max durability, and that things like gathering are made so miserably slow and give such small yields that you almost have to have a potion and/or engraved tool to make gathering bearable. You can spend hours/days/weeks depending on your playtime for whatever type of armor you're trying to craft, just trying to gather enough materials to make one suit of armor and a weapon. The cost of resources to create equipment is absurd right now, given the time you have to gather materials/low yield from nodes/scarcity of places to gather in mass, or the gold coin you'd have to pay someone that's gathered it for you....it's just not worth it. Hopefully, after careful consideration of the concerns, they will remove the crowns from the equation of repairing equipment and leave that to crafters to do as it should be. The game is still in early access so a lot is subject to change for the better as systems are polished and things are added to releases to make things better.

I'm hopeful that this can get worked out and they can fix some of these issues, gathering and resources hasn't had any attention in years to ease up the awful grind that comes with it, so we'll have to see the coming months what changes come for this in the Multiplayer Economic Balance release that was pushed back again. I do know that people are not going to want to spend hours/days/weeks of their playtime purely grinding out gathering for resources, as we do right now, just to make a suit of armor and weapons that will break unless you use a crown on each and every item to keep it, they'll end up just buying the basic armor from an npc vendor and call it a day. I really want to see Sota do well and I'm confident the devs will do what's best in this situation with the crowns. We're still a good ways from release, so I'm sure things will be balanced and corrected for the better. I anxiously and patiently waiting to see the upcoming changes that are coming to make Sota more fun and playable for everyone. I'm excited for July to be here so that there won't be any more wipes and people can play more without fear of just losing everything with wipes as well. :)

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• OnirikOnirik Member UncommonPosts: 17
    edited May 2016
    Ice-Queen said:

... What I don't agree with is the current proposal of crowns being the only way to repair your equipment back to max durability...

I agree with that about the repair.

And I'm not mad, but the title of the topic is looking to spoil.. 

The devs just released an idea, they have not permanently implemented yet. What is the issue with talk without screaming P2W!! P2W!??

edited June 2016
    Onirik said:
    Ice-Queen said:

... What I don't agree with is the current proposal of crowns being the only way to repair your equipment back to max durability...

I agree with that about the repair.

And I'm not mad, but the title of the topic is looking to spoil.. 

The devs just released an idea, they have not permanently implemented yet. What is the issue with talk without screaming P2W!! P2W!??

I think OP made a important thread that need to be discussed. 

The game is a P2W game in so many areas and this latest idea make it even more P2W. [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited June 2016
    Aragon100 said:
    I think OP made a important thread that need to be discussed. 

The game is a P2W game in so many areas and this latest idea make it even more P2W. [mod edit]
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like the discussions doesn't make a difference anymore. It's as if these changes are now final decisions when brought to us, but we're welcome to complain about it. :( I'm not saying that the devs have that attitude at all, they're very pleasant. That's just how it feels as of late for me though. I won't be surprised to see subscription models tacked on before long. :( I am starting to get a bit worried where things are going now, and how much still needs to be done to make it a fun game.

I'm hanging on and with the game for the long haul, but more nervously now. I still think it needs another year to year and a half to get it to a fun, full fledged game, but am happy to wait to see the end results of completion at the end of the year before I give a review on steam.
    Post edited by Ice-Queen on

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited June 2016
    Crowns are fine, they are the same things as Plex (EVE) and Apex (AA).
    The problem is the game itself, they should rename it Estates of the Avatar, whoever has the bigger house wins.
    Game has no soul, no purpose, no vision, dated and it's very generic and it doesn't feel like a MMO.
    Don't know what Garriot was thinking but whatever it was, he hasn't got it anymore.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Game has no soul, no purpose, no vision, dated and it's very generic and it doesn't feel like a MMO.

Can't agree more .

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Zheax said:
    You even don't know what it means "pay to win".
    Same model as Guild Wars2 is P2W?? No // B2P? YES!

Pay to Win: Games that let you buy better gear or allow you to make better items then everyone else at a faster rate and then makes the game largely unbalanced even for people who have skill in the game without paying.

Buy To Play: Requires a purchase of an account/box to access the game, no further required subscription or purchases are necessary to access the game.

---

No one is threatening you to purchase coins for cosmetic use or low impact in the game.

Your posts reek as usual.

That is your personal definition.  To others, like me, any ability to buy anything aside from cosmetics is a form of pay to win.  Everything is so monetized these days that people just roll over and accept marketing and money being involved in everything.  Even INSIDE games!
  • Riotact007Riotact007 Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I despise pay2win and i was hoping this might have been different. Oh well after checking their site and how expensive items are its clearly going to be very pay2win.