Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You think the WOW movie will be successful?

12346»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited June 2016
    DMKano said:
    With more reviews the score has declined further on rotten tomatoes - it's down to 20%.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/warcraft/#contentReviews
    Should mention that the average rating is nearer 4/10, but Rotten Tomatoes measures the percentage of people who rate it negatively i.e. 20% = only 2/10 critiques rated it positively.

This is important because a film that gets 6 people rating it at 48% and 4 rating it at 99%, and a film that gets 6 people rating it at 1% and 4 people rating it at 51% both get a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 40%.   

Nothing wrong with what they do actually. One persons "2" is another persons "4"; same with a "6" and a "9". The premise is that people who like the film will score it over 5 and those who don't at less than 5. The % is then simply number who "liked" it rather then "disliked". This prevents the score being skewed by lots of 0s or lots of 10s.

So a score of 20% means that 20% rated the film "above average".
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    edited June 2016
    josko9 said:
    I'm one of the "lucky" ones that has already seen the movie, and honestly it didn't justify the ticket price (6.50€ here). I would have rather torrented it. At least I'll know what to do if sequel ever comes. The reception at my cinema was also very poor, nearly nobody was impressed by it, even though Warcraft brought the most people.

I mean the movie really isn't that bad, I've seen worse, however it's still very disappointing. I'd rate it at about 4.5/10, and that's coming from a Warcraft Lore fan. As for the "non-gamers" or people who don't know anything about Warcraft, this movie is pure garbage. 

Mix between CGI and Action is very painfull. In some cases CGI is beautiful, in others it looks like it couldn't be worse. For example high elves look like barbie dolls, 95% of the orcs are copy-pasted and generic etc. Overall half of the time it feels like a cartoon, and the other half it looks like a very very cheap ripoff of GoT and Lotr.

But the biggest letdown is probably the story and the pacing. It's just so easily forgetable. I've watched it in Thursday and I literally forgot nearly everything. I know that Blizzard's storytelling is terrible, but come on surely movie could have gotten a better one.
    Your complaints with the High elves and orcs can be directed at LOTR as well. So, i wonder if your complaints hold any water considering how popular and successful LOTR movies were.

Also, you forgetting nearly everything about a movie you just saw Thursday might be a clear indicator of an Alzheimer's. You should get yourself checked.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Just my 2 cents about the movie

- A must see for everyone that ever played WoW
    - A fun movie for people that like fantasy movies

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    It's going to do well. I hope it does well. There's really no benefit to anyone in wishing a movie to fail (except ghost busters).

Movie has Duncan Jones directing and a fantastic cast. If it was any other story I'd still see it based on this fact alone.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    I think the Warcraft movie will do good... not sure about this WoW movie.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I don't see it as being a hit movie or anything, i think even for fans of WoW its going to be a bit marmite. I'll probably catch it when it comes out on video in a year or so.
  • aeoleonaeoleon Member UncommonPosts: 75
    edited June 2016
    I have watched it now and I really loved it. There are a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon of "cgi sucks", "story sucks", etc. are are not giving the time of day to the finer details of the movie. 

Without going into spoilers, the CGI is one of the best I have seen ever, yes, there is one portion of the movie where the CGI looks a bit shaky, and it lasts about 10 seconds...in a 2h30min movie -.-` 

I didn't care much for some characters on the human side and I wished they developed others more. But the Orcs were perfect (and I only play alliance), I actually care more for the Orcs in this movie. 

They were trying to cram a lot in a 2h30min movie, so I guess that kind of sucks for the die-hard Warcraft fans which want every single bit of lore explained to it's minute detail, to which you are simply not going to get.

I think "WoW" fans, and I mean WoW, not Warcraft, are going into the movie with the mind set where everything must match to what there is in game, which they are certainly not going to get. 

Remember, the movie is catered in a way for both Warcraft fans and people that are completely oblivious that such a world even exists. I guess compromises were done?

Who am I to know what they were thinking, they have not come out with an explanation to why they did this or that, everything being posted to what the director was thinking is pure speculation at this point.

I loved it, I liked the grit and the three way story plot, I loved the CGI and the actors (except for one, but you need to see the movie to get it), I loved the little easter eggs for gamers that were put in the movie, that by the way, are done subtly and have no weight on the story at all, which did not break the plot at all. 

I have watched the movie twice, one time in 3D and one time in 2D (I preferred the 2D, the 3D was well done but the first 15 minutes are hard on the eyes).

I think if I was a proper movie critic, I would have rated 7.5/10 due to some obvious changes done to lore and because I didn't like the rough 2 minutes of movie where you first see Lothar.

It is a fantasy movie, and I was entertained watching it (just don't like the prices for the cinema here in Reading - UK, they charge for each ticket an absurd £13 for 3D and £10 for 2D) :pleased: 

01110110 01101001 01100011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01110101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101111 00100001

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited June 2016
    There are no official numbers yet in the UK but checking the Odeon website (Biggest Cinema chain in UK) Warcraft is the number one movie with highest rating from cinema goers, on par with XMAN: Apocalypse, so far so good.
    Official numbers from the Box Office next week, but it looks very promising, people that actually watched it loved it.

I think "professional" critics just missed the point.
    They expected a Lord of the Ring sort of movie, they don't get the cheesiness of the IP.
    Even the bright color palette is intentional to mirror the videogame atmosphere.

My favorite characters are Durotan (the absolute star of the movie) and Khadgar (a surprise) the clumsy mage who learn to become a fighter.

Kids and WOW fans are going to love it, and open minded grown ups will like it too.
    Yes there are some problems with the CGI blending with the live scenes and the screenplay is not exactly Oscar material, but it is something you can easily get over.
    It is not a masterpiece by any means, but it is quite enjoyable.
    Go and see it, don't listen to the critics, they just don't get it.

By the way Warcraft already topped number 1 in all first 11 markets where it has been released.
    With still half EU (biggest markets UK-Italy-Spain) to go this week and China and the USA next week, it could be the surprise of 2016.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    aeoleon said:
    I have watched it now and I really loved it. There are a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon of "cgi sucks", "story sucks", etc. are are not giving the time of day to the finer details of the movie. 

Without going into spoilers, the CGI is one of the best I have seen ever, yes, there is one portion of the movie where the CGI looks a bit shaky, and it lasts about 10 seconds...in a 2h30min movie -.-` 

Keep in mind that most people who have not seen the movie judge the CGI on the trailers in which it was really bad at times.
    I did so, too.

For the actual movie however the CGI got worked over and is incredibly good. I'd say even better than i've seen it in some huge blockbusters.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited June 2016
    Stizzled said:
    The problem with the CGI, or at least the problem I have, isn't that it's not good, it's that it doesn't mesh well with the live actors. The CGI looks like Warcraft while the live actors look like live actors.

Do any of you who've seen the movie think it would have been worse had they used CGI for the entire film?
    I actually agree with you, full CGI would have been better.
    The problem with CGI in this movie is that they are better than the real characters.
    I am actually referring to the Armor and the set props, they look plastic and rather cheap compared to the beautiful CGI.
    I don't know what material they used but it didn't really work.

But as I said I got over it really quick.

edited June 2016
    I don't think anyone - in this thread or in the wider media - predicted that Warcraft would be a Mermaid ($3M US, $550 International - China) or a Spirited Away ($10M US, $264 International - Japan).  

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4199&p=.htm

Warcraft fell 73% on its second weekend, bringing in just $6.5 million, drawing a close comparison to 2005's Doom, which fell 72.7% after an equally disappointing opening. Warcraft's drop is the third largest second weekend drop for a film playing in over 3,000 theaters behind 2009's Friday the 13th (80.4%) and Fifty Shades of Grey (73.9%). The big difference here, however, is Warcraft only opened with $24.1 million while those two other films opened with $40.5 million and $85.1 million respectively, giving them both much further to fall.

Warcraft did, however, bring in another $41.2 million internationally this weekend as its global cume now climbs to $377.6 million, more than $200 million of which comes from China.

Revenue was mostly "day 1" loaded; even in China day 3 was 60% below opening day. Suggesting perhaps that people who went were mostly WoW players? Does this suggest that well over 50% of WoW's subs are in China - long touted - and that subs in US and EU are below 1M? 

As far as possible sequels go:

At a cost maybe higher than $160M Warcraft's backers, Activision Blizzard being one,  may struggle to recoup its full costs (quota film in China so 25% of the China gross only). For AB though I think they will simply class it as marketing. Even if they spent $50M on the film and only get $30M back that simply makes it a $20M worldwide ad campaign.

So I suspect that Blizzard would be up for a sequel and so would Chinese partners. Warcraft 2 filmed in China with a Chinese cast would potentially make financial sense.  

Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Based on my opinion of the movie, I take this as more evidence that the reception of a movie has very little to do with the actual movie - and almost everything to do public perception.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    It is successful outside the US and just goes to show you don't need the US. Anyone who has not seen the film but likes fantasy and just really fun movie should stop listening to the haters and watch it.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    To me the movie was awesome, like the old Warcraft 1 and 2 RTS games, while WoW is a garbage easy PvE MMO.
    DKLond said:
    Based on my opinion of the movie, I take this as more evidence that the reception of a movie has very little to do with the actual movie - and almost everything to do public perception.
    I am sure that plays a part. 

Another TVs being bigger and better quality with so many ways for films to be delivered. Not the same experience for sure (go IMAX!) but deemed "OK" by many for something not considered a "must see" at the cinema.

Also the other films that launch at or around the same time. And a lot of "big" films have launched this summer. A reason, imo, that so many have had so called "soft" openings. Lots of films for people to choose from resulting in - as one site put it - the films cannibalizing each other.

If you visit the cinema with family or friends on a regular basis and there is only one big new film to see you see that; if there are many you make a choice. And at that point reviews could well make a difference.  
    And it is a summer of mega-blockbusters. Alice didn't deliver but Finding Dorey has. Some refused to believe a little fish could sink Warcraft but with an opening US weekend of $136M all other films - not just Warcraft - were left scrambling for crumbs. And next weekend enter Independence Day.