Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MMORPG Experiences] Account Banned for Fraudulent Payment?

Cronz123Cronz123 Member UncommonPosts: 4
I recently returned to this game called Allods online, which I have had an account for since beta. 

Recently my account got banned, after I first purchased crystals (for the cash shop)...This was my first time ever purchasing crystals and I have had my account since beta. I sent a support ticket to see why I got banned and it's because of "fraudulent payment" they don't believe that, that was my debit card that I used.

My question is has this ever happened to anyone before? In any mmorpg infact.

They asked for me to provide quote on quote

"To validate payments you have to provide:
- photo of a document which proves your identity;
- photo of the front side of the bank card you used to effect payments;
- photo of the back side of the card where your signature is clearly seen; Please note, that we do not require CVV code area, please cover it before making a photo.
- authorization code (confirmation code your emitting bank sent you).

In case it is not possible to provide validation, you can compensate the sum of invalid payments."

So i gave them a picture of my debit card, covering the exp date and name. And the signature on the back on my license. And Additionally a screen shot of my bank saying the money was withdrawn. I believed that was enough evidence.

They reply back "please provide full size photos of aforementioned documents".......... Again I'm just curious if this has ever happened to anyone? I'd like to know your experience

Comments

• tallredtallred Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited June 2016
    I have never run into anything like that. It actually seems like a scam to steal your information personally.

But just a warning for you. If you are in the US, never use your debit card for any online purchases (really for any purchases to be honest). There are no laws in place to protect you. So if your information gets stolen and they wipe out  your bank account the banks do not have to do anything and do not have to protect you. I do not know if this is different in other countries.

If you use a credit card on the other hand there are laws that require them to protect you. And can make it so they give you back the money you lost.

• Cronz123Cronz123 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    tallred said:
    I have never run into anything like that. It actually seems like a scam to steal your information personally.

But just a warning for you. If you are in the US, never use your debit card for any online purchases (really for any purchases to be honest). There are no laws in place to protect you. So if your information gets stolen and they wipe out  your bank account the banks do not have to do anything and do not have to protect you. I do not know if this is different in other countries.

If you use a credit card on the other hand there are laws that require them to protect you. And can make it so they give you back the money you lost.

I appreciate that man,I don't even mind the ban lol, considering i paid 10 bucks for a game that kept me fairly busy. But thanks a lot for the insight :)
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    edited June 2016
    Have you contacted your bank to ask them what happened?  If not, you should.  If they thought the charge looked fraudulent and reversed it, that's why you were banned.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    edited June 2016
    Contact your bank immediately and see who processed your payment.  Make sure that the game company and verify you are really communicating with their customer support.  If either of these are in question, get a new debit card ASAP and put a fraud alert on your credit for your own protection.

• Cronz123Cronz123 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Contact your bank immediately and see who processed your payment.  Make sure that the game company and verify you are really communicating with their customer support.  If either of these are in question, get a new debit card ASAP and put a fraud alert on your credit for your own protection.

Quizzical said:
    Have you contacted your bank to ask them what happened?  If not, you should.  If they thought the charge looked fraudulent and reversed it, that's why you were banned.
    LOL you guys didn't understand, or maybe I was just confusing. But I used my own debit card of the game and got banned for fraud (For using my own debit card) guessing they don't believe it's me 

but @Quizzical yeah i'll do that, online though it says the payment went through.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Allods online, for gods sake stay away from that game.........and don't use debit card in the future, use paypal or if a CC is needed use a prepaid one.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Cronz123 said:
    I recently returned to this game called Allods online, which I have had an account for since beta. 

Recently my account got banned, after I first purchased crystals (for the cash shop)...This was my first time ever purchasing crystals and I have had my account since beta. I sent a support ticket to see why I got banned and it's because of "fraudulent payment" they don't believe that, that was my debit card that I used.

- photo of the back side of the card where your signature is clearly seen; Please note, that we do not require CVV code area, please cover it before making a photo.

In case it is not possible to provide validation, you can compensate the sum of invalid payments."

So i gave them a picture of my debit card, covering the exp date and name. And the signature on the back on my license. And Additionally a screen shot of my bank saying the money was withdrawn. I believed that was enough evidence.

They reply back "please provide full size photos of aforementioned documents".......... Again I'm just curious if this has ever happened to anyone? I'd like to know your experience

I think the problem is you covered your name on the front of your debit card.  They did not tell you to cover the name.  They need the name on the card to be your name.   They did however tell you to cover the security code on the back.
  • BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Banning people who are trying to give you money is a great business model.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i do not really agree i guess with the rational answers here. Ive been the victim of a gas reader and learned quite a bit about fraud because of it. They can basically just make a entirely new card now and use it freely in stores without much you can do about it but cancel your card and get a new one and hope your card company gives you the refunded amount. Asking for all the information even as a game company is asking for you to lose your identity. Even if its harmless in nature you do not even know if this is an employee going rogue etc. Asking for a full size photo of your license and credit card is to easy to commit identity fraud and I would ask for a refund and if they refused I'd contact your bank to flag them as a fraud company and just eat the ban. Its allods online anyways that game cannot be doing well enough to warrant all this trouble.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I can't really think of a game that's worth going through all that.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    edited June 2016
    There has to be more to the story here.  Companies could care less if a stolen card is used to pay for there game as long as the funds are never questioned or taken back.  The reason they give out a ban is when someone reported the cards transaction as a mistake or stolen and the funds are charged back.

If I had to jump to a conclusion I would say that he used a family members card ( with permission) for the purchase and the actual owner of the card just did not recognize the charge and reported it as fraudulent to get the money back without letting him know.  That is why he did not disclose the name on the front of the card when they asked for it, which caused them to reject his request to unban his account.

-------------

He also failed to provide the authorization number of the transaction from the bank. 

They do not want a screenshot of the transaction, they want a actual statement from the bank printed on bank letterheaded paper with the purchase and authorization number on it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I really don't know what recourse gamer's have when slighted by rhetoric and BS that goes on in the industry.
    For starters,websites that basically advertise and support these developers SHOULD come to the aid of the gamer and send out some harsh words to these devs and post it for all to see because the internet is a powerful tool.
    Nobody else has the power to force these devs to get their act together.It is important because if for example you had invested a LOT more money already then get your account unjustly banned,then force you to jump through hoops,is just total bs.

This is why we need wqay more law governing how these gaming operation run their businesses,everything from the VERY shotty "chance" cash shop items to forcing playerts out that already invested a lot of time and money to many other problem areas within gaming.

Basically money is involved their really should and needs to be much stronger law,i am saying law that protects the gamer instead of always protecting the business.Example if at any time you feel slighted by the business,can you issue THEM a warning and demand your money back,no you have no laws protecting you as a customer.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Cronz123 said:

Have had similar experiences with 2 game publishers and 1 game reseller on eBay.

The game publishers being Aeria games and Webzen where both wanted a full copy of my ID to prove the account is mine. In the case of Aeria games in the time I managed to convince them other wise and had my account unbanned again. For Webzen though, I wanted to change my main email address and with them only accepting my ID, I figured they could shove it.

That game reseller on eBay was a Russian or Chinese one selling game keys cheaper than normal and they came up with the ID requirement AFTER I purchased and paid for the game. Needless to say I've had the payment canceled and filed reports to the local police and eBay about this fraudulent behavior.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Cronz123 said:

I think they wanted to see your name and signature on that credit card, then compare it to your name and signature on some official document like your driver's license.

If you don't want to provide them the information they asked, just agree with them to cancel that transaction and that you'll use paypal, prepaid credit card or some other payment method instead.