Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Companion Grind?

BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
Is the influence grind to 50 bad?  I had all my companions at max influence before the expansion hit.  The level sync and change to companions left a bad taste in my mouth.  Those who are still playing?  What do you think about the game? 

Comments

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Well the silence is telling in and of itself. ;D
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    I haven't played in a while, but from what I recall getting to 50 influence is just a matter of spamming gifts.  it takes quite a while though and I don't know of any actual benefit.  

The story is good enough to play through once or twice.  Unfortunately there's not much to do beyond that.  So far I've done 10 or 11 chapters... Im just going to wait until they release 16 to resub and play through the rest of the game.  I'd say the full 16 chapter storyline will be worth the cost of a 1 month sub.  I primarily pvp'd in the game, but queues have been dead for a while on most servers.  You'll probably have to transfer to harbinger if you're interested in group activities on NA.  Not sure how the EU scene looks, but it always seemed more populated.
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    edited May 2016
    The game as a whole has lost a lot of it's audience. People are waiting for all the chapters to come out to resub and just play through them. Some come back and pay for a month and play the new chapter, then leave. With no new raids, dungeons, and open world content (no new planets to do dailies and such, just running on old planets). Coupled with a lot of new games/expansions/DLC's for other titles this quarter. There's just not that many people playing. Those that are playing have all funneled onto Harbinger. And despite that, there's never more than one instance of fleet (max 100 people). Which is a good indicator of server pop. Granted many are on the new planet in their bases or out doing weekly heroics. But it's the only way to weigh the server pop.

To answer your question. They significantly reduced the rate at which you can get influence with companions unless you unload money on gifts. Which have a small diminishing return when you do a lot of them at once of the same type. To give you an example. Scorpio likes everything except courting, republic, and food. So almost every time I open a heroic mission container. She gets a companion gift she likes, and it's often a purple QL6 item. Despite being active the last two weeks. She's only influence level 17 in the two weeks I've had her and have given her 90% of my companion gift rewards for doing heroic missions.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited May 2016
    How necessary is it to grind up companions to 50? Don't you just need one companion now?

I'm mainly just interested in leveling alts and going through the story. I still have a lot of class stories to do. When I get them all to 50 (what is the max level now? 55? 60?) I will pick one and go through all the rest of the stories, if the grind is not a big deal. Last time I played the XP was really good and I only had to do story missions. It was right after the big change when they made companions really powerful and you didn't have to gear them any more. Then they nerfed the companions hard and I unsubbed. I hate being jerked around like that. I don't know what happened after that.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Unless they changed it since the xpac released, I take breaks from the game, will go back in a couple months, it isn't hard at all to level up the companions.  As long as you have one alt that has crew skill to get companion gifts you are all set.  You also can get gifts as reward for quest, buy them, etc.

And you do want to level them up as it does effect how well they actually help you when playing solo.  The higher they are the more they heal etc...
  • GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited May 2016
    d_20 said:
    How necessary is it to grind up companions to 50? Don't you just need one companion now?

I'm mainly just interested in leveling alts and going through the story. I still have a lot of class stories to do. When I get them all to 50 (what is the max level now? 55? 60?) I will pick one and go through all the rest of the stories, if the grind is not a big deal. Last time I played the XP was really good and I only had to do story missions. It was right after the big change when they made companions really powerful and you didn't have to gear them any more. Then they nerfed the companions hard and I unsubbed. I hate being jerked around like that. I don't know what happened after that.

If you are levelling your characters only to see the story, grinding companion influence is completely unnecessary. As you said you need only one companion now and if you use the same one you will receive more than enough influence from story conversations to get through all the chapters easily (for example my Consular companion ended at influence level 14).

As mentioned above it might be worth rising your influence to max level if you plan to use your crew skills a lot, however, as companion gifts are not free, I do not know how much you have actually craft to make this investment worth the time and money.

To answer your other questions, max character level is now 65 and shortly after that companion nerf you mentioned happened, they made companions more powerful, due to people complaints, although they are still not as strong as they were when KotFE released. Also there is no grind for levelling from 50 to 65, just doing story content should be enough to reach max level.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Greme said:
    To answer your other questions, max character level is now 65 and shortly after that companion nerf you mentioned happened, they made companions more powerful, due to people complaints, although they are still not as strong as they were when KotFE released. Also there is no grind for levelling from 50 to 65, just doing story content should be enough to reach max level.
    That's good news for me. So the companions are strong and helpful for those who just want to play through the story content, but not OP any more?

I just want to see how the various storylines play out. Thanks for the responses.