Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Impressions - Muscling in on Hearthstone's Territory

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFirst Impressions - Muscling in on Hearthstone's Territory

Chronicle: Runescape Legends took me by surprise. Few would think there was enough room for a card game to muscle in on Hearthstone's territory and yet Jagex have somehow managed to do it. Not only have they succeed in creating a game that's fast, fun and visually appealing but there's also a surprising amount of depth here, with some clear innovations.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited June 2016
    I've watched a couple paid Hearthstone streamers play this. It does look pretty good, and sufficiently different from Hearthstone to be worth trying.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    is f2p so worth a try
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Please explain how a card game can have depth?  Right you can't.  
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Ozmodan said:
    Please explain how a card game can have depth?  Right you can't.  
    Hearthstone has a decent amount of depth.  Most turns are pretty obvious, but usually one or two turns are ambiguous.  The best players make the right choices on those turns.

This game seems to have much more depth.  You plan out turns, playing 4 cards at a time sequentially.  Games go through 5 of these 4-card "turns" until finally you duke it out.
  • YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I don't usually go for card games but this one has a great mechanic. That being a 3D layout, if you like, to the top down ones we're used to, I'm enjoying levelling up.
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Really an amazing game.Took me about 20 minutes to figure it out, now I am hooked. PLayed for about 4 straight hours. I won my first 7 online games without spend a cent. I decided to but a few packs because the game is so good they deserve some money.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Never been a fan of card games. The mechanics involved (base resource to play attack card) and the amount of time you need to put in leaves me cold. But Chronicle is a whole different bag of beans. Each Legend plays quite differently and once cards are played, the action is fast and beautifully animated. Since these types of games are not my standard fare, I rarely win. But I must say I've never had such a fine time losing. Great fun. Highly engaging.
  • sedatedkarmasedatedkarma Member UncommonPosts: 181
    edited June 2016
    I gave this one a peak last night and stayed up much later than I should have on a Thursday night. Hearthstone has added mechanics that lost me along the way.. particularly around the Argent Tournament expansion. Very happy I've found a replacement for an itch I was no longer relieving.
    Post edited by sedatedkarma on
    Happily playing Vanilla and BC WoW, again, since September 2016.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    So a good game from the established creators of "the worlds largest free mmo" - should see traction.
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    edited June 2016
    Thank goodness for this game as there is something seriously wrong and corrupt with Hearthstone.
    It is a fixed pay to win game and I added Hearthstone to my ever growing list of Blizzard games to avoid.