Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online

124»

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Gorwe said:
    They also changed a lot of behind the scenes stuff so they'd funnel you into RvR. Things like damage, xp gain outside RvR etc. RvR was always fast leveling, but not the defacto PL like it is here. It's literally their way or highway. I swear, the executive people should have broad eyesight so to speak. Because currently, they are focusing on the small details they like, big picture be damned!
    this is exactly how i also feel but its a free server made by fans basically with a little bit of coding knowledge. I played warhammer until the realm vs realm packs and the insane stat increases and renoun rank 100 garbage mythic pulled. When it was fortresses and cities the power gap was bad but no where crazy insane as the rank 100 gear. I enjoyed the PQs the dungeons land of the dead and overall some of the story was well-written and fun to play. They traded all that in with the realm vs realm packs throwing out the blood moon or whatever it was called vampire expansion. 

Thats why I decided to quit playing the private server though, their agenda and attitudes tell me they have no intention of making the game whole just focusing on the realm vs realm of the game and I can see them never fixing all the pqs pathing and general play. They are already punishing people in T4 customizing how it works way different than mythic did it instead of just bringing the game back to the patches before the realm vs realm packs. That with their general attitude to the community just makes me not interested any longer.
    This is a post from the main dev made today. I honestly hope these idiots get sued and this garbage closed. What a arrogant asshole.

Grimnir is a GM, not Public Relations. That would be me, because I'm the prettiest. 

And our public relations policy has pretty much always been, "If you don't like it, then you're not the intended audience." To put it another way, We're not competing with GW2 or ESO or WoW. Those games have gigantic staffs and the luxury of getting to charge money. We don't complete with other private servers, because we don't accept donations of any kind. Instead, our mission is just to create the game Warhammer Online could have been, had it been given a real chance and perhaps taken a different design direction. We all work in our off hours to do this project for ourselves, for our own enjoyment. If all 2500 active players quit overnight, we'd still be here doing our thing. We'd probably be a lot more efficient at it too.

You mistakenly view yourself as a customer of a free product. You view the game as a service we are offering, and thus expect a certain degree of professionalism and customer service. Were that actually the model here, that would be fair and reasonable. But that's not the case. It would be a more apt metaphor to say that we are a group of sculptors working on a sculpture in a studio. The players are fans coming by to watch the sculpture progress, and to enjoy its progress with the understanding that it is still progressing. Occasionally, we expect that these observers will point out flaws in the sculpture, so we can correct them. We also appreciate it when these observers give suggestions ("I think this section could be improved by smoother lines and a more dynamic pose"), with the understanding that their suggestions are not demands, and while they will be listened to, might not be honored. Note how that's different from, "This section looks like **** now, it used to be a lot better. Tear down everything you've worked on since this point, and fix that section."

Grimnir's job, and the job of all GMs, is to police this metaphorical studio for people unable to voice their criticism in a helpful way, or whom try to abuse the access we grant to our studio. His suggestion, which amounts to, "If you don't like how the sculpture looks now, you're welcome to check back later once it's more complete," is absolutely appropriate for his position. Because again, we're not doing this for you, we're doing this for us. Anyone who disagrees with us and our direction is welcome to take our foundation and go work on their own sculpture. This has always been our stance.

This is the nice PR way of saying, "You're wrong, your reasons for being here are wrong, your reasons for thinking we might care are wrong, and your attitude over your wrongness is not really appreciated or likely to earn you any friends." I know it hurts and is frustrating to be told that something this cool and awesome is not actually a gift for you. Just remember: "If you don't like it, you're not the intended audience."

Stupid everyone else, beating me to the punch.
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    I wouldn't even notice the drama that some of you bang on about if you didn't keep posting it here. I haven't seen any of it in game and haven't even noticed it on their forums, so i'll just happily keep on playing seeing as i'm enjoying the actual game again.
  • RodzillaRodzilla Member UncommonPosts: 159
    edited May 2016
    cronius77 said:
    This is a post from the main dev made today. I honestly hope these idiots get sued and this garbage closed. What a arrogant asshole.

Grimnir is a GM, not Public Relations. That would be me, because I'm the prettiest. 

And our public relations policy has pretty much always been, "If you don't like it, then you're not the intended audience." To put it another way, We're not competing with GW2 or ESO or WoW. Those games have gigantic staffs and the luxury of getting to charge money. We don't complete with other private servers, because we don't accept donations of any kind. Instead, our mission is just to create the game Warhammer Online could have been, had it been given a real chance and perhaps taken a different design direction. We all work in our off hours to do this project for ourselves, for our own enjoyment. If all 2500 active players quit overnight, we'd still be here doing our thing. We'd probably be a lot more efficient at it too.

You mistakenly view yourself as a customer of a free product. You view the game as a service we are offering, and thus expect a certain degree of professionalism and customer service. Were that actually the model here, that would be fair and reasonable. But that's not the case. It would be a more apt metaphor to say that we are a group of sculptors working on a sculpture in a studio. The players are fans coming by to watch the sculpture progress, and to enjoy its progress with the understanding that it is still progressing. Occasionally, we expect that these observers will point out flaws in the sculpture, so we can correct them. We also appreciate it when these observers give suggestions ("I think this section could be improved by smoother lines and a more dynamic pose"), with the understanding that their suggestions are not demands, and while they will be listened to, might not be honored. Note how that's different from, "This section looks like **** now, it used to be a lot better. Tear down everything you've worked on since this point, and fix that section."

Grimnir's job, and the job of all GMs, is to police this metaphorical studio for people unable to voice their criticism in a helpful way, or whom try to abuse the access we grant to our studio. His suggestion, which amounts to, "If you don't like how the sculpture looks now, you're welcome to check back later once it's more complete," is absolutely appropriate for his position. Because again, we're not doing this for you, we're doing this for us. Anyone who disagrees with us and our direction is welcome to take our foundation and go work on their own sculpture. This has always been our stance.

This is the nice PR way of saying, "You're wrong, your reasons for being here are wrong, your reasons for thinking we might care are wrong, and your attitude over your wrongness is not really appreciated or likely to earn you any friends." I know it hurts and is frustrating to be told that something this cool and awesome is not actually a gift for you. Just remember: "If you don't like it, you're not the intended audience."

Stupid everyone else, beating me to the punch.
        This game was never Awesome to begin with, hence it died out. 
    Post edited by Rodzilla on

searching for the next DAoC....

Kay-exile

yeah what i think is funny about it all is they cant even get pathing working but are already making tons of custom changes to their pvp that is pissing people off.  a enitrely new realm vs realm system they have yet to talk about thats in the works and gear nerfs etc. I guess they plan to just do pvp and dungeons and leave all the npcs standing still and pqs bugged for good at least from the devs saying they are very low priorities. Ive seen multiple players post about something being messed up or not right in a polite way and the devs are the ones being the sarcastic trolls. They can keep pissing people off though and if enough people get banned and report them to games workshop or EA they wont be building a server.
  • sayrirsayrir Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited May 2016
    Any clue if there's an alternative Warhammer server to Return of Reckoning? So far seems to be the only one I can find. 
    sayrir said:
    Any clue if there's an alternative Warhammer server to Return of Reckoning? So far seems to be the only one I can find. 
    nope thats it and honestly warhammer closed for a reason the population was not allowing it to profit so the need for a second team and server would probably not be there unless its a fracture away from ROR because of direction or in-fighting etc. I personally would like to see a working t1-t4 full server with all the features running not just realm vs realm and not a ton of custom changes made just the power gap stopping at 80 and not land of the dead over stat pocket items etc. Instead with ROR you get a custom realm vs realm experience that changes with the bi-polar mood of the developers that day.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Aaaand now I'm playing this tonight.  LOL!  I played the beta way back when but didn't ever play the full version because at the time I hated PvP.  I'm willing to give it a go again though, perhaps....
    I have so many other games I need to play (MGSV is still in its day one wrapper >.<)
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    My scouter says the nerd rage power level is over 9000. Damn kid if I did this for free and you knit-picked my hard word I would track you down and beat you with a hose. You got off easy with a perma-ban. Maybe next time you will think twice about "speaking constructively".
    F2Plague said:
    My scouter says the nerd rage power level is over 9000. Damn kid if I did this for free and you knit-picked my hard word I would track you down and beat you with a hose. You got off easy with a perma-ban. Maybe next time you will think twice about "speaking constructively".
    no one gives a shit about them doing it for free they are stealing code running a illegal server and having egos in the process. If they do not like criticism they shouldn't of opened it to the public and advertised. Then they go to the forums like the KGB and bash their own player base saying they avoid pvp and are wusses etc and change to custom realm vs realm rules because of it. Anyone that complains gets banned. So sorry your scouter calls this nerd rage but treating your own players like shit is'nt going to win you awards free or not.
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    cronius77 said:
    F2Plague said:
    no one gives a shit about them doing it for free they are stealing code running a illegal server and having egos in the process. If they do not like criticism they shouldn't of opened it to the public and advertised. Then they go to the forums like the KGB and bash their own player base saying they avoid pvp and are wusses etc and change to custom realm vs realm rules because of it. Anyone that complains gets banned. So sorry your scouter calls this nerd rage but treating your own players like shit is'nt going to win you awards free or not.
    Gorwe said:
    How do you expect to improve your product then @F2Plague ? You must be open to other people if you wish to do a multiplayer server. ESPECIALLY so in a game that lives or dies by how populated it is.
    If everything you both say is true then rest easy knowing that they will be the cause of their own creations demise. Best thing you can do is stop playing on it. I suppose if you have been banned you already have that covered! Fact of the matter is elitist douche bag nerds gonna be elitist douche bag nerds. Sounds like they made the server for the strict purpose of ruling over their player population as gods. If that is the case you guys have already won in the game of life. Congratulations.
    F2Plague said:
    cronius77 said:
    F2Plague said:
    Gorwe said:
    How do you expect to improve your product then @F2Plague ? You must be open to other people if you wish to do a multiplayer server. ESPECIALLY so in a game that lives or dies by how populated it is.
    If everything you both say is true then rest easy knowing that they will be the cause of their own creations demise. Best thing you can do is stop playing on it. I suppose if you have been banned you already have that covered! Fact of the matter is elitist douche bag nerds gonna be elitist douche bag nerds. Sounds like they made the server for the strict purpose of ruling over their player population as gods. If that is the case you guys have already won in the game of life. Congratulations.
    i was all for this game when it first released the private server and I have never been banned or even reported to a gm for trolling or anything. I just read their forums and see how they talk to their playerbase and how they show a level of disrespect for everyone who doesnt agree with their views or how they want you to play. With that being said its a private server - they have every right to do what they want to do with it and treat people how they want. but they can also expect retaliation and people who wont take their shit either in response. I loved the server at first like i said but they just changed over the last year into a egocentric agenda and its why I moved on and just reply to this thread when I see new posts in it etc. If anything it keeps advertising going for them so in a way its still helpful to them heh.

@Gorwe - Yes they closed down the public version and are not releasing any of the code but the bar minimal stuff, nothing they are working on at the very least. Azrael has been pretty assholish in comments about it saying stupid comments like "if you don't like this or that you can get the basic code and do it yourself" . Agenda's seem to really have changed there big time.
  • RodzillaRodzilla Member UncommonPosts: 159
    cronius77 said:
    F2Plague said:
    cronius77 said:
    F2Plague said:
    Gorwe said:
    i was all for this game when it first released the private server and I have never been banned or even reported to a gm for trolling or anything. I just read their forums and see how they talk to their playerbase and how they show a level of disrespect for everyone who doesnt agree with their views or how they want you to play. With that being said its a private server - they have every right to do what they want to do with it and treat people how they want. but they can also expect retaliation and people who wont take their shit either in response. I loved the server at first like i said but they just changed over the last year into a egocentric agenda and its why I moved on and just reply to this thread when I see new posts in it etc. If anything it keeps advertising going for them so in a way its still helpful to them heh.

@Gorwe - Yes they closed down the public version and are not releasing any of the code but the bar minimal stuff, nothing they are working on at the very least. Azrael has been pretty assholish in comments about it saying stupid comments like "if you don't like this or that you can get the basic code and do it yourself" . Agenda's seem to really have changed there big time.
    same here i was not banned i just quit playing shortly after they released T4 and killed it not long after... 

searching for the next DAoC....

Kay-exile

Gorwe said:
    Rodzilla said:
    cronius77 said:
    F2Plague said:
    cronius77 said:
    F2Plague said:
    Gorwe said:

same here i was not banned i just quit playing shortly after they released T4 and killed it not long after... 
    How did they "kill" it?
    they released T4 undone labeled it alphas and basically allowed AFK botters and leechers to farm pqs for T4 gear and instead of just going after the botters they did a wipe of all the gear including all the legit players. When people bitched they got banned and talked down to like they were stupid because it was an alpha. Then they changed how keeps and zone flips happen , medallions are given out etc because as the exact words of azreal " people who play ROR do not pvp they avoid each other and zone flip for rewards so we are forcing more fights and taking away rewards". Hence the new custom rules for T4. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Are these private servers legal?  Do they have permission?  I have no idea, just asking.  Seems like parent companies wouldn't be too pleased with this if they weren't.

I self identify as a monkey.

mgilbrtsn said:
    Are these private servers legal?  Do they have permission?  I have no idea, just asking.  Seems like parent companies wouldn't be too pleased with this if they weren't.
    illegal but this is the only one out for a closed down game and they do not charge money for it so they skate by but they will tell you themselves that what they are doing is very illegal.
  • Saur0n69Saur0n69 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    It's only illegal if they charged for it or were pocketing donations.  It also depends on the country it's hosted in. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    cronius77 said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    illegal but this is the only one out for a closed down game and they do not charge money for it so they skate by but they will tell you themselves that what they are doing is very illegal.
    cool, thx.  I was always curious about these private servers.

I self identify as a monkey.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I need to look into this again as I miss WAR and IMHO was the best MMORPG, despite being totally mis-managed .
    Saur0n69 said:
    It's only illegal if they charged for it or were pocketing donations.  It also depends on the country it's hosted in. 
    actually the devs are on record in a Q and A saying that its illegal and the only reason they havent been busted is because A is a small community and the game is closed down and B they do everything without any donations. But they have been very clear on any given day they can get a lawsuit against them that its highly illegal.
  • MornebladeMorneblade Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Sorry, I'm having a blast. PvE is even getting worked out.