Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG truly a dying genre

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited June 2016
    The genre is evolving and I think it's headed towards simulation with the oculus rift and other tech coming our way.
    Simulation meets MMORPG = pure awesome imho
    That's exactly what they moved away from and the reason for the OP. (I don't mean VR, but rather the simulated virtual worlds)

What you say would be nice and what I would want. But unfortunately, they moved towards Action combat, jumping puzzles and instant gratification and then wondered where the profits went.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    MMO's as a 'genre' is still one of relative growth, i think the perception of decline might be because individual games are failing, however, there is rarely a year goes by without one or more MMO's being released into the wild, to varying degrees of success.
    Its only natural that games will fail, particularly if they fail to evolve with the 'market' by which i mean the games continuing to meet the demands of the players, games that don't, tend lose players to other games.
    MMO's as a genre aren't failing, but they are continuously evolving, which is a good thing, although obviously its possible that there are a number of players that get left behind, which might be where this perception comes from that MMO's are failing.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I think that MMORPGs are dying because there are too many games to choose from.. people race to the endgame or reach whatever goals they set and then are tempted by another game to leave so they can rinse and repeat. I think it is this way because they want to be ahead of other people, to be honest, and you can only get that from a launch or new expansion, etc.. I constantly see people treating games this way instead of just enjoying the content and game to the fullest.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

I think that MMORPGs are dying because there are too many games to choose from.. people race to the endgame or reach whatever goals they set and then are tempted by another game to leave so they can rinse and repeat. I think it is this way because they want to be ahead of other people, to be honest, and you can only get that from a launch or new expansion, etc.. I constantly see people treating games this way instead of just enjoying the content and game to the fullest.
    Sometimes i think a number of players are in such a rush to reach max level or whatever, that they don't even realise they have missed much of the game in the process.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited June 2016
    Phry said:
    MMO's as a 'genre' is still one of relative growth, i think the perception of decline might be because individual games are failing, however, there is rarely a year goes by without one or more MMO's being released into the wild, to varying degrees of success.
    Its only natural that games will fail, particularly if they fail to evolve with the 'market' by which i mean the games continuing to meet the demands of the players, games that don't, tend lose players to other games.
    MMO's as a genre aren't failing, but they are continuously evolving, which is a good thing, although obviously its possible that there are a number of players that get left behind, which might be where this perception comes from that MMO's are failing.
    In any of those given years what a given game was released and did well, how long did it do well? That year? Maybe? How long was it a success before going into decline? Since, as you say, next year brought the next game.

That's not really how this genre operated in the previous decade. A game would launch and be hot for a couple years while players awaited the expansion(s). But if you ask me, I'd say that's what did the damage. Expansions. By making previous content, they made everything that was great about pre expanded games irrelevant. Thus one not so great expansion (Cataclysm) and your game sucks and everything great that was built up over the previous 6 years goes out the window.

Post edited by GeezerGamer on
  • howstupidisthishowstupidisthis Member UncommonPosts: 147
    The genre is evolving and I think it's headed towards simulation with the oculus rift and other tech coming our way.
    Yeah, I think not. Why would they suddenly start making actual virtual worlds, while the past years it has only been about themepark nr7645?

I mean,I like the idea, but I don't see why their MMO design suddenly would change. For coming years I expect at most support for those headsets next to normal gaming. Also, the hardware is way too expensive still for it to become mainstream. And the displays still need to become a lot better. This will happen if there are enough early adopters, otherwise this VR hype will be forgotten just as fast again.

Ok sorry but that's alll kinds of wrong.

Star Citizen is a perfect example, we have the hardware and the software, it's already proven to work, but I admit it's a bit expensive.

But there are smaller versions of what I'm saying, like space engineers and elite dangerous.
    They aren't game worlds, they are simulations with MMO aspects, and that's what I expect to see more and more of because gamers are tired of developers screwing around with game mechanics. Look how crazy popular Minecraft is, another perfect example of my point.

In a true simulated world, there is no game mechanics specifically, it's centered around the physics. This way very little is hard coded, mostly working off the physics.
  • KissThaRingKissThaRing Member UncommonPosts: 78

Whats dead is the magic. It's simply not there anymore. Newer generation of online gamers are extremely impatient and rage harder more then ever since gaming is apparently there entire life. This is why PvP oriented MMO's are a cesspool of nerdrage and elitism. I put up the white flag on a lot of those games and don't regret it at all.

I remember when SWG came out and CoH came out the next year, I was massively addicted to the characters that I made - I spent hours designing characters in CoH and RPing with them. A lot of the fun with MMO's was just enjoying the journey and making friends as you went on your journey - the destination was only a sign to start over and redo the journey with a different build. End game content was mostly gathering people together to grind up other lowbies or tackle some hard world boss - unacceptable in this era of gaming.

Its possible I just grew up and outgrown the genre all together, most people who play MMO's have a "I gotta prove something to someone" mentality, especially in pvp .They wanna make a name for themselves, they wanna be a online superstar with twitch followers, meh... I've just outgrown all that stuff. Doesn't appeal to me. Real life MMO is surprisingly quite rewarding if you step back from the keyboard and put in the work.

I enjoy undercutting people in the market place - it's the only PvP a crafter gets.

• OptimisticHappyGuyOptimisticHappyGuy Member CommonPosts: 4
    Yeah, it's shiiiiiiit.

I google "MMO that isn't utter garbage" from time to time though, just to check.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Yeah, it's shiiiiiiit.

I google "MMO that isn't utter garbage" from time to time though, just to check.
    But the question is whether MMO is dead .. are you saying "shit" = "dead"?
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Phry said:
    Do you mean MOGs or MMORPGs?
    From your argument I think you are talking about MOGs and that is off topic.
    Yeah, I think not. Why would they suddenly start making actual virtual worlds, while the past years it has only been about themepark nr7645?

I mean,I like the idea, but I don't see why their MMO design suddenly would change. For coming years I expect at most support for those headsets next to normal gaming. Also, the hardware is way too expensive still for it to become mainstream. And the displays still need to become a lot better. This will happen if there are enough early adopters, otherwise this VR hype will be forgotten just as fast again.

Ok sorry but that's alll kinds of wrong.

Star Citizen is a perfect example, we have the hardware and the software, it's already proven to work, but I admit it's a bit expensive.

But there are smaller versions of what I'm saying, like space engineers and elite dangerous.
    They aren't game worlds, they are simulations with MMO aspects, and that's what I expect to see more and more of because gamers are tired of developers screwing around with game mechanics. Look how crazy popular Minecraft is, another perfect example of my point.

In a true simulated world, there is no game mechanics specifically, it's centered around the physics. This way very little is hard coded, mostly working off the physics.
    If I can tell you one thing about Star Citizen, and indeed any space game, it will not have realistic physics. Try Kerbal Space Program for that.
    Yeah, it's shiiiiiiit.

No the question is are MMORPGs dead, MOGs are alive and well.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Maybe gamers are just prone to pessimism and sarcasm as a class.

Tends to lead to a rather nihilistic view of... Well, just about everything.

"Everything Sucks," officially standard to the "what all the cool kids say" platform.
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    mmm someone dont want to spend money for a high last tech PC to play games
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • Charliff1966Charliff1966 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Dead? My answer would be no. Life support? My answer would be yes. ESO is the mmorpg I play now. It's not capturing the feeling I had when I played eq. Don't know what the future will bring. Brad works on a new mmorpg, but after vanguard I will wait and see what happens when it goes live. Have no clue on other games being made now, the genre changed. Not sure if that is good or bad.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Yeah, it's shiiiiiiit.

Your Google Fu needs work.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Yeah, it's shiiiiiiit.

No the question is are MMORPGs dead, MOGs are alive and well.
    That is, then, just a semantic question. If you now call MOGs MMORPGs, then suddenly they are all alive.

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    This thread makes me sad

Sz  :)

Can you list these "couple hundred title to choose from"...?

Just go to the "game list" on this site. They are already listed. In this case, you don't even need google. 
  • shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    The genre has been stagnant and dying for a decade.  What passes for a good game now is a miniscule world with loading zones everywhere, artificial borders everywhere, a short level based system, where gear rules and an endgame.  There shouldn't even BE an endgame.  It shouldn't be a month to max and then get stuck in 5 dungeons on repeat, but this is what gamers have allowed and been taught is how it is done.
    shadow9d9 said:
      There shouldn't even BE an endgame.  It shouldn't be a month to max and then get stuck in 5 dungeons on repeat, but this is what gamers have allowed and been taught is how it is done.
    why not? If gamers find short games without a few dungeons fun, what is the problem? It is not like they need to commit to a single game for a long time.
  • GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    shadow9d9 said:
    The genre has been stagnant and dying for a decade.  What passes for a good game now is a miniscule world with loading zones everywhere, artificial borders everywhere, a short level based system, where gear rules and an endgame.  There shouldn't even BE an endgame.  It shouldn't be a month to max and then get stuck in 5 dungeons on repeat, but this is what gamers have allowed and been taught is how it is done.
    There is no universal "should". Your subjective taste is just your subjective taste and nothing more.

Games you don't like can be great. Yes you might hate them, simply because they are not targeting you and thus are not designed for your subjective taste and preferences. 
    Just keep in mind that you hating them says absolutely nothing about their quality. They are tailored to someone else's taste. 

Whenever i read a new story about how someone thinks MMO's are dying, i feel kind of sad for them, because all it really means, is that MMO's are dying for them.
    I am really glad however, that MMO's are not dying for me B)
  • jg999jg999 Member CommonPosts: 10
    I'm looking forward to the future with crowd funding and small studio's dominating this genre and with more risks involved will focus on innovation and listening to the players. Competition is the driving force to bring new and better products, and in this genre, as seen with WoW, there is a big money tree as incentive to someone who "gets it right" next. I think there is more expectations placed on games than there used to be however, some warranted and some not.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    I'm not going through a pages of this just to see, but just curious: in this back-and-forth between "mmorpgs are dead/no they're not" did anyone ask the question whether they deserve to live?