Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Content Correlation

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageThe Content Correlation

Everyone knows that more content means more players and more revenue for an MMO, right? Or is that not the case with Guild Wars 2?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    You talk about "volume of content" in relation to profits. But the missing factor in your column is "quality of content". Let's talk about the overall quality of the content from each given release and compare that with the quarterly earnings.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I think discounted sales of HoT are what is stopping the plummet right now.

I don't play anymore, but i am glad they are alive.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Far too many players huh? Did they finally share the actual number of players. Because before HoT they had the number of people who created an account, after HoT they had the number of people who signed in periodically on a chart. Neither of which gives an accurate look at the number of actual players that are actively playing the game unlike subscription titles.

It's my understanding that all those whiners that turned the game into the hot mess they had a hand in making in Season 2 decided to leave during the HoT launch because suddenly people were actually progressing more in the game than ever before (which was still miniscule but you have to take a look at their mentalities, if you didn't have the RNG gods on your side all the time getting all of the phat loot then you were a noob according to these so called "hard core" players)

So really how can you tell?

They can get rid of some of the developers that had a hand in the Nexon destruction of this title all they want but until they get their hands on the original designers of the game and bring them back to the fold, this game will forever remain a disappointment even with the changes to HoT because players remember when you burn them.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    After the initial launch, Season 1 was GW2 at it's peak. The frequent updates were great and it kept player retention. As the chart above shows, it had the most sales, besides the initial launch and HoT. The temporary content was it's downfall though.
  • UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I stopped playing because of the HoT shenanigans. I went to ESO but I'm now too busy to play any. As a matter of principle I wouldn't go back to GW2 anyway.
  • ShrikeArghastShrikeArghast Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Typical MMORPG.com article - look at the data and derive the wrong conclusions. Why aren't people playing GW:2? Because it really just isn't that good. The endgame is littered with dull, trivial activities - boring PvE; predictable, still-imbalanced PvP; and very little reason to go out into the real world at the cap.

Good content is great - bad content does you no good. THAT'S the lesson we should take away from this game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Far too many players huh? Did they finally share the actual number of players. Because before HoT they had the number of people who created an account, after HoT they had the number of people who signed in periodically on a chart. Neither of which gives an accurate look at the number of actual players that are actively playing the game unlike subscription titles.

It's my understanding that all those whiners that turned the game into the hot mess they had a hand in making in Season 2 decided to leave during the HoT launch because suddenly people were actually progressing more in the game than ever before (which was still miniscule but you have to take a look at their mentalities, if you didn't have the RNG gods on your side all the time getting all of the phat loot then you were a noob according to these so called "hard core" players)

They can get rid of some of the developers that had a hand in the Nexon destruction of this title all they want but until they get their hands on the original designers of the game and bring them back to the fold, this game will forever remain a disappointment even with the changes to HoT because players remember when you burn them.
    The income should give us enough clues, why you can't judge the exact number of players it will tell us how the game fares. Comparing with other games is hard of course since how much money a regular player spend in a cash shop is different for each game, games with a "voluntary" subscription tend to have a higher sum.

I BTW have never got any loot worth more than 12 gold since launch even though I have a wicked high luck bonus but no-one called me noob so far, either you have met some real jerks or they assume you are a noob because of how you play.
    Crafting good gear is easy in GW2 and even ascended gear is pretty fast to farm up compared to good gear in other games. The only hard thing to get is legendary weapons and certain skins. Besides, you can do fine with regular rare gear which is incredible easy to get, only a few elite guild will whine on you for not having anything better.

Still, the game certainly need another expansion, preferably Cantha.
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 542
    It's not hard to tell that gw2 will continue to see new content. You can easily tell by just looking at the map. Many sections can not be traveled too. If you've ever played gw1, you would also know that there are two missing continents.

Gw2 in my opinion is actually getting more and more complicated whenever they do add more content. As a player whose been playing since the very start, I very much understand what Anet is doing with their game.

For the average player I've seen an increase of confusion or uncertainty with the community. Esp since much of it is split on which activity they would rather do: pve, spvp, and wvw. Not many rotate between them or understand the complexities in each game mode. Gw2 is an amazing game for those who "get it" but it pushes it's self in all these different directions to please people while at the same time trying to stay true to that niche crowd it's built it's self around.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Great read. Thanks for the article. I personally just could not get into GW2. I loved GW1 but GW2 just never 'clicked' with me. I like many of the ideas about the game though. I have watched a couple of youtubers lately complaining about the game. Or lack of things to do for vet players.
    I wish the game and it's fans well.
    I like GW2 for some weird reason. Easy game to play and relaxes me

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I enjoyed GW2 at launch, I didn't enjoy their future plans (Fractals, No more Dungeons, Livestories etc etc).

It's that simple.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Dude, NCsoft gives you a color coded graph and you're still not happy?  It's a free to play game now so the number of players logging in is almost meaningless compared to the numbers NCsoft is giving out.  They're the most transparent MMO company in the world and you're still bitching about not getting enough numbers?  Really?
  • doragamesdoragames Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Yeah it is absolutely right 
  • etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Yeah, I stopped playing due to HoT. I didnt like how they split their player base and endgame reward system. If they ever fix I might come back.

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I liked the temporary events a lot better. Fine if you did them fine if you didn't. Some classes would do better in certain content then others which I also liked. I like being able to log into the game and play for a few mins. or all day.

HoT was made mandatory if you want to get the elites and complete your character's skills. If not for that I would have at the most tried it with one or two classes and that would have been it. It had to go through it with every class the way they made it and if they had done that with temporary content more people would have been forced to play that also. For the record, don't like gated skills.

Lastly I think people have it wrong. Gaming is a service industry, putting money before customer satisfaction doesn't equal a large happy playerbase. Talk about WoW, but they are responsive to their playbase which adds to customer loyalty and satisfaction which adds to profits, IMO.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think their fallen sub numbers are more because of all the MMO's out there and most not requiring a sub at all. After all who's beating them at the moment?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I played gw2 at release up until middle of last year. Returned and decided to purchase HOT. I'm actually beginning to think it was a waste of money. After researching & now experiencing the "content" first hand its become little more then a huge grind for hero (skill) points to level up elite specializations.

The prospect of having to do this all over again for every character has basically turned me off entirely. I was getting into i and playing daily & after downloading HOT.. boom no interest anymore.
  • chanmingchanming Member UncommonPosts: 52
    When i first heard the price of HoT i was shocked. I thought i could better pay 3 months sub for WoW and enjoy much much more rather than paying for HoT and be drowned in emptiness. And im really glad i did that.
  • DreamQueenDreamQueen Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I'd like to think other games doing poorly and boring customers is helping them right now. Who bought GW2 because WoD is boring on WoW? Or, who didn't like Terrors of Thalumbra on Eq2? Anyone get bored of Nightmare Tide on Rift? There aren't many good expansions out there right now, and Heart of Thorns is probably it, unless you are playing Riders of Rohan on Lord of the Rings Online.
  • DreamQueenDreamQueen Member UncommonPosts: 48
    edited June 2016
    Well, WoW expansion is worth it for 3 months but is incredibly shallow and boring at the 6-9 month mark, let alone the past year or so of no content. Now, every mmorpg seems to be doing poorly except for Final Fantasy 14 Online, which I hope will overtake WoW and force Blizzard to finally increase content patchs from 1 (every 2 years!) to 7 + a year.
  • NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134
    HoT was too little, too late for me. Sad too. I used to really like GW2, but it got stale.
  • curiousbugcuriousbug Member UncommonPosts: 51
    "Does ArenaNet really have to keep producing content at a regular pace to make money?"
    No,just glider skins...(sigh)