Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is MMO dead for you?

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    scorpex-x said:
    Why would anyone post here if they thought it was?

To dance on the corpse? To rant about how it died? To grief together?

At this moment, 37% voted "yes". 
    I can picture @nariusseldon circa December 2007 sitting in front of a laptop inside a hollowed-out volcano with steepled fingers, saying "I shall become one of them, I shall learn their ways, and then, slowly, destroy them from the inside".

I have no idea why so many voted "yes", but it seems to be a widespread pandemic across the net.  Someone once said on this site that mmorpg players are a group that are obsessed with their own demise unlike any other.

Doubly strange as I've been playing a mmorpg (singular) of my choice for nigh on 13 years, now.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    I've left gaming entirely. Screw it.

Once upon a time....

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The MMO is in the same box as Schrodinger's cat.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Kyleran said:

I'll likely stick with EVE until they close the doors on it.
    what do you do after that?
    Take up base jumping most likely. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Nah just spent a butt tun of hours on Wildstar yesterday. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I'm currently not playing any MMORPG's atm. Playing Marvel heroes 2016, WOT, and Overwatch. Got bored of ESO. SWTOR Changes disappointed me to the point that more than likely not playing it ever again Haven't played since Nov 2015. Also with the cancellation of World of Darkness Online. Its been rough for me personally MMO wise. There is currently nothing coming out in the future that has my intrest.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Dying for me. My last hope in the genre is Crowfall. Lost Ark is Korean meaning it looks great, but is destined to be P2W and unmanageable by the inept US publisher who decides to pick it up.  I've been going back and playing Torchlight 2 and that has been fun. I might even go back and play some old single player console games.

I really like the idea of being in an open world seeing other players, and doing stuff with them (or by myself if I chose too) but the genre is really in corpse loot mode right now.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    I just came back to playing MMOs, so they're a zombie genre for me-- they were dead, but then they came back to life and ate my brain.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited June 2016
    I've already said that Black Desert is the last MMO I play that requires me to dump time into it. Once I stop playing this, I maybe done for good on time-consuming MMOs. I am very open to casual friendly MMOs that reward skill over gear or time played.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    What died is the common sense with single player mentality + unattainable expectations. To develop an MMO with infinite content that it would take years to burn by players without repetition (grind) it would require literally hundreds of millions in investiment. Single player games deliver an adventure that doesn not feel repetitive on its course for the player but it lasts only a few hours until the player beat the game after that maybe it is worth a replay, or simply put the game on the shelf.

Bringing a single player mentality to MMO by wanting "fresh adventures" all the time, no grind (repetition) means that you should stay in single player games. Because even Apple couldn't affort such project.
    I'm ok with old school open world grind I miss my old days in Lineage grinding mobs for hours with my clan members while we talked and had fun on teamspeak, lots of dramas happened envolving world pvp with enemy clans.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Quizzical said:
    The MMO is in the same box as Schrodinger's cat.
    Comparing this thread to quantum theory? Hmmn I guess so. So mmo's are both dead and alive using the super position principle. Guess it depends which universe you're in.

• OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    I cant even log on to EVE! No reply from support! Broken and dead
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I can picture @nariusseldon circa December 2007 sitting in front of a laptop inside a hollowed-out volcano with steepled fingers, saying "I shall become one of them, I shall learn their ways, and then, slowly, destroy them from the inside".

I have no idea why so many voted "yes", but it seems to be a widespread pandemic across the net.  Someone once said on this site that mmorpg players are a group that are obsessed with their own demise unlike any other.

Doubly strange as I've been playing a mmorpg (singular) of my choice for nigh on 13 years, now.
    It is indeed a strange world. The "yes" is up to 45% now. Clearly, the fact that you can still play a MMO (anyone dispute this) has zero bearing of whether some consider MMO "dead" or not.
    Kabulozo said:

Bringing a single player mentality to MMO by wanting "fresh adventures" all the time, no grind (repetition) means that you should stay in single player games. Because even Apple couldn't affort such project.
    why? What is wrong with playing a MMO for a while like a single player game (which we can now), and then move on after finishing whatever that is fun?

No one says anyone has to stick to one single game. 
    edited June 2016
    Kabulozo said:

why? What is wrong with playing a MMO for a while like a single player game (which we can now), and then move on after finishing whatever that is fun?

No one says anyone has to stick to one single game. 
    Developers of AAA MMO, due to the high costs, want players to stay in the game as much time as they can, if players just play some time and go on, it may end in loss and shut down. Whats happening now with Wildstar, most of the team was laid off, including one of the core writers. I can say now the game has no conditions to be improved/bring new content update anymore due to the shortage of the personnel and smaller budget.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Nope! Looking forward to the beta test for Riders of Icarus. I admit I haven't really found one to settle with for a while, but that's my problem, not the genre's. I'm a bit burned out and have been spending my time playing other types of games, reading, watching anime, getting caught up on all the movies I've missed (like Mad Max or Avengers). 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Kabulozo said:

Developers of AAA MMO, due to the high costs, want players to stay in the game as much time as they can, if players just play some time and go on, it may end in loss and shut down. 
    Not if they recoup the cost with huge sales numbers in the first few weeks. The most expensive MMO is TOR, costing $200M. (http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/451637/is-mmo-dead-for-you/p3)

As a point of comparison, The Division made $330M in its first week. With numbers like that, you can just sell boxes and make money.

In addition, sub-only MMOs are dead anyway. So if it is about box sales, you don't need all the players to stay for a long time. Only the whales (if there is a cash shop).
  • IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    edited June 2016
    The thing with this forum and the mmorpg subreddit is that it's full of people who are actively or inactively looking for MMORPG to spark their interest so they read other people comments about various MMORPGs or make threads asking "what's the current state of *name mmorpg*" hoping to recieve positive answer in order to start it instead of growing a pair of balls and jump in and see for themselves, because other peoples opinion should be irrelevant to you tbh. Many people miss out on good for their taste and feel MMORPG,because they listened to people who said bad stuff about MMORPG that didnt appeal to them but otherwise would appeal to the reader.  
    The inactively looking for mmorpg people think they dont care and want to play MMORPGs but post on the subreddit or this forum.  
    And the minority that is active in a MMORPG and joins the forum and subreddit just to read news and have healthy game discussions.
    Iwaylo said:
    The thing with this forum and the mmorpg subreddit is that it's full of people who are actively or inactively looking for MMORPG to spark their interest so they read other people comments about various MMORPGs or make threads asking "what's the current state of *name mmorpg*" hoping to recieve positive answer in order to start it instead of growing a pair of balls and jump in and see for themselves, because other peoples opinion should be irrelevant to you tbh. 
    How do you know this? Do you have data? Your friends are like this?

From what i read here, people are just here to do forum pvp. Few are looking for information since that is a lot easier to get to read a news site, or google, and you don't have to go to a forum for it.

In fact, if you look at the topics, the rants, polls, debates .. way outweighs those looking for information. 
  • CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Currently installed and playing:
    - Eve Online
    - FFXIV
    - Black Desert Online

So no, not by a long shot.
    Cyrael said:
    Currently installed and playing:
    - Eve Online
    - FFXIV
    - Black Desert Online

So no, not by a long shot.
    Funny that now the "yes" are at 48%. Clearly this place is split about whether MMO is dead. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    MMO's dead? definitely not! still Kicking Nas and taking Manes :p

The biggest problem i have is too many games and too little time to play them, never used to have that problem back in the EQ1 days, probably because there was so little to choose from, nowadays you are literally spoiled for choice.
    Moba's though, too boring for me, i need more game and less arena. B)

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Im afraid so, but thats because all of gaming is dead to me, since i seem to have grown out of it. Ah well. 
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Close enough to being dead for me. I play Wildstar occasionally and while I enjoy it, I can't seem to want to make the time to play it more. When/if that game gets sundowned, I'm going to leave MMOs for a while until there's a good superhero MMO again like City of Heroes. I don't like PvP and as much as I thought I would like BDO, the forced PvP keeps me away.