Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soulbound & Tech Start-Up Improbable Announce PartnershipCOE Chronicles of Elyria News - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageSoulbound & Tech Start-Up Improbable Announce PartnershipCOE Chronicles of Elyria News - MMORPG.com

Soulbound Studios and tech start-up Improbable have announced a partnership agreement that will bring SpacialOS into play that utilizes a "distributed operating system". Thousands of servers in the 'cloud' enable simulations to run concurrently to enable a hundred thousand players spread across the game world, one of the largest in gaming today, all inhabiting one world.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Guess we will see... if you like the way Worlds Adrift performs I guess you would be happy. if not...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    This is HUGE news! It will save a LOT of time and money for the team!
  • millsdomillsdo Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Excellent news. Perfect fit.
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Well, I thought it was strange they were promising those things without something like SpatialOS. Now their pitch makes more sense

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    edited June 2016
    Sounds like they needed a kickstarter campaign to finance getting ...(thwack from mysterious arrow from unknown origin)...XxxX
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Good news :)
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    I'm just unsure why they would not say that outright at the beginning of the campaign. Maybe they were still closing the deal?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Deffcon_1 said:
    I don't usually play the role of a negative Nancy, but I just have to say I'm sure many thought the same thing about EQN and Star Citizen with their partnerships. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Distopia said:

Love your avatar image. He does some cool work.

EQN had some really promising stuff with story bricks. They went down to to other reasons, not SB. SB sounds like it had some super cool ai in the works.

SC is, imo, so big and stretched between so many entities it will be a miracle to get them all to fit together in the end.
    Yeah man Derek Hess has some awesome stuff for sure. 

All true, I was just making a point to say these partnerships don't always pan out as we envision them.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    XAleX360 said:
    I'm just unsure why they would not say that outright at the beginning of the campaign. Maybe they were still closing the deal?
    Going to guess so. Business deals like these usually involve a lot of secrecy up until the final moments.

Distopia said:

Deffcon_1 said:

I don't usually play the role of a negative Nancy, but I just have to say I'm sure many thought the same thing about EQN and Star Citizen with their partnerships. 

True, on the other hand SpatialOS is a quite different beast and one that's being adopted more and more. Let's hope it can deliver even half of their promises.

• FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Worlds Adrift looks solid, not exactly my tea, not like COE is, but its proven that it works. This is some reassuring news.
    I wonder if the Improbable tech has been tested on a massively multiplayer scale in a real game though. I haven't seen anything "massive" in Worlds Adrift by quickly looking at gameplay videos.

If anyone is aware of a video showing Improbable tech at work (large number of players / NPCs / objects / complex systems, etc.), I'd be interested to see it.
  • ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213
    CoE's low Kickstarter goal makes a lot more sense now. I already bought in, but was a bit concerned about such a low funding goal.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    There are tech demos showing thousands of a Entities controlled via spatialos.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240

Torval said:

XAleX360 said:
    Distopia said:
    Deffcon_1 said:

True, on the other hand SpatialOS is a quite different beast and one that's being adopted more and more. Let's hope it can deliver even half of their promises.

Are any production games actually running on it? I don't mean games in development or pre-release, but full on released titles. I looked on their website and didn't see anything definitive. I did see a little bit on their blog but, again, not a list of "here's what runs on our tech".

No, but Worlds Adrift should launch this year. There's a free island creator alreadu on Steam, though that has little to do with SpatialOS.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Here's my concern. Every time you do something that hasn't been done before, assuming you achieve the desired effect, there is a trade off. Something is almost always given up to achieve the new thing. Is this a quantum leap where in that rare occasion almost everything is a gain with little loss? What's the trade off. There's always something that couldn't be predicted that pops up. What's going to happen in this technology when thousands of players are let loose in this new tech? Many of them will not have the best of intentions? What exploits will be uncovered with this distributed computing? Is security stronger or weaker? Is this thing precarious or bulletproof? Finally, they talk about permanency in this world. For every change, that data has to be stored somewhere, there must be limits. I play Skyrim and there is a lot in the game that is permanent. AS you go through the game and progress, discover and alter the map, the game saves get bigger and bigger. And the performance takes a hit. The gradual increase in the time it takes to load zones and to write saves increases until at some point, I start thinking about a new game. What's going to happen to CoE's permanent world after 6mo, a year, 3 years of permanently recorded changes?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    This really does not change anything.  Sure it should solve the server issue, but they still have a huge hump to get over getting all those proposed game mechanics to work together correctly.  It will still be a real challenge to them.  You can bet some of the promised design points will never see the light of day in the game.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Sooo.. the CoE devs have been keeping this deal a secret for how many years now ? :D

Or is it possible that they finally (at this late hour) found some tech that seems to make CoE slightly more believable ? They must be greatly relieved.

The Soulbound Engine (and therefore CoE) has been in development for something like 10 years. SpatialOS has finally made the game feasible...