Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I thought this is F2P...

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
So I haven't played Overwatch yet, because I got Civ5, DOTA2 and Hearthstone, which combined cover about all my needs.

But today I thought "Well, you really enjoyed TF2 and this is supposed to be somewhat similar, so let's give it a try".

Wanted to install it: 60€ was the price tag shoved into my face.

Wow...

I thought I read here and there that it has micro transactions. I mean, of course, there are some games out there that do both: pay to play and micro transactions. But I really didn't expect that here. AND with that price tag on top. I think there is also a 40€ version out there, but that is still on the upper end for a pc game.

I mean... Games like DOTA2 do well with just micro transactions. Or other games just do well by having people play once. Adding both seems to be quite greedy.

Well, I just wanted to share my opinion on that. I was really surprised about this.

I thought:
Hearthstone: micro transactions F2P
Diablo 3: no micro transactions, P2P
Overwatch: micro transactions... and P2P?

Sheesh...

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Comments

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    I hate you and everything you stand for.

Have a pleasant day.

• TroubleHunterTroubleHunter Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Too expensive for me, i will have to pass.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Just a technicality, but P2P mans pay to pay, which means recurring subscription. You mean B2P which is Buy to Play in which you pay a box price but no sub.

And yes you are correct, Overwatch is B2P with cash shop.
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    maji said:
    So I haven't played Overwatch yet, because I got Civ5, DOTA2 and Hearthstone, which combined cover about all my needs.

But today I thought "Well, you really enjoyed TF2 and this is supposed to be somewhat similar, so let's give it a try".

Wanted to install it: 60€ was the price tag shoved into my face.

Wow...

I thought I read here and there that it has micro transactions. I mean, of course, there are some games out there that do both: pay to play and micro transactions. But I really didn't expect that here. AND with that price tag on top. I think there is also a 40€ version out there, but that is still on the upper end for a pc game.

I mean... Games like DOTA2 do well with just micro transactions. Or other games just do well by having people play once. Adding both seems to be quite greedy.

Well, I just wanted to share my opinion on that. I was really surprised about this.

I thought:
    Hearthstone: micro transactions F2P
    Diablo 3: no micro transactions, P2P
    Overwatch: micro transactions... and P2P?

Sheesh...
    well considering your playing two f2p an one game that came out in 2010 which can be bought for $5 if you get decent sale i don't think your their target market.

the games fun an does not require you spend anything beyond buying the game which if you wait long enough can be bought for $30 or less.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    The only thing available for micro-transaction is loot-boxes that contain cosmetic content.

Semantically, they serve as the unlocks/progression in the game and you accrue them for free over time as you get one each time you level. Unfortunately, the amount of cosmetic content provided means there's no guaranteed measure of obtaining the parts you actually want to work towards, including via coin purchase since coins are also a random loot-box reward.

It's just a grab at monetizing the cosmetic content.

To be clear, there is nothing of mechanical value to purchase through microtransaction after buying the game.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    It's a free to play game you pay for.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2016
    At least you don't have to buy most of the heroes and maps in the cash shop, you pay once and you have everything. How it should be for a competitive FPS game.

Some of the freeloaders are ready to see games ruined by a greedy "P2W" cash shop just so they can play for free for a few days. I prefer Blizzard's payment model here.
    Agreed here, and I would go even further to say that any hero/class based competitive game (specifically ones with a "meta") should offer all their heroes/classes for a box price of "bundle".

Of course, some of these games offer those bundles for (what I think) are ludicrous prices.  Ironically enough, HotS is a grievous offender (when not on sale, AB tries to charge more for SELECT hero bundles than they're charging for Overwatch itself).

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    They made it no secret that it would be B2P, it was known for like 6 months lol
  • SharessSharess Member UncommonPosts: 293
    edited June 2016
    Albatroes said:
    They made it no secret that it would be B2P, it was known for like 6 months lol
    Hey man logic has no place here! but seriously *headshake at OP*

Also OP, you did not even try to purchase it to see for that price that you were buying either the collectors edition or the special edition with all the skins and boosts to HOTS/WOW/Hearthstone etc.

Much cheaper basic everything included option avail.

Sharess Dragonstar - Midgard
    Grievance is recruiting.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    People are being conditioned to accept shittier and shittier games. A big game company like Blizzard knows what their name brings, and what is out there now. They are great at delivering good enough games. I played the beta for a few days and that was enough to hold me until something better comes out or it goes on sale for about $20 bucks. For the actual content it delivers is all it's worth to me.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited June 2016
    There are no good F2P games that started as F2P games day one, and half life mods don't count as F2P games.  So for example Archeage was developed as a sub game and started as Box plus sub, so it doesn't quality as as a day one F2P so its actually a decent game still at its core.

Again, there are no good F2P games that start day one as F2P, they dont exist  because the underlying games play mechanic is ALWAYS fundamentally flawed.  This includes so called cash shops that only have "vanity" items or armor skins.

Be happy Overwatch is not mixed in with that cesspool of games that make up the "modern" gamers portfolio.
    Post edited by goboygo on
  • West_LightzWest_Lightz Member UncommonPosts: 22
    edited June 2016
    It's all cosmetic things in the loot box. It might sound crazy but if you dont want to buy cosmetic items that don't change game play at all (that you earn by playing the game anyways) you could always just not buy the loot boxes. That's not your real problem with the game though lets be real. You just want it to be free.

I'm too lazy to get a job so all games should be free or the price of a six year old game I happen to like. 

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Overwatch to me, is a company seeing just how far they can push consumers and how much they can get away with.  They can get away with a lot.  I don't think the game should of been f2p, I just wanted them to put more effort into it than they did.

10 years ago what Blizzard just did with this game would of been completely impossible, a game that is online only and with that online only game having almost no content..plus with a lottery box gambling cash shop?  Not in a developers wildest dreams would they of ever thought that would of been something they could get away with.  These days, consumers will put up with pretty much anything.  You even see pay to play mmorpg titles with cash shops now, in a few years they will sell us the first level of a game for $40 and we will buy every additional level no doubt.

Overwatch at it's core is a good game, it's just disgraceful how little effort a power house money machine company like blizzard put into the game though.  If Blizzard wanted to, they could of easily padded Overwatch with multiple teams and it come out with masses of content.  They decided they didn't need to, they were correct.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I like Blizzard, but from what I see of Overwatch, it just doesn't look all that impressive, and doesn't seem like there is a lot of content. I might pick it up when it goes down in price. My PC sucks so I can't get the cheaper version and would end up paying about $92 CAD for console version, for a small online arena shooter. 
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    edited June 2016
    I've already got 47+ hours of fun from the game, and I'm not seeing the end of it yet. I'm actually having more and more fun as I learn to master the different heroes.
    Seems like I'm going to get at least 150 hours out of this. There are RPG which I finished faster than that. A good investment.

Right?!

I've racked about 100 hours into it. I still love it.

Thing about FPS is the sheer fact that the maps can be the same.

I'm sure a very small minority of you play CoD or BF## for "Storylines" but most ...the driving force behind the genre play multiplayer.

We don't require a dramatic convoluted plot of nuclear arms being exchanged by dangerous brown people wearing what could be scarves or towels depending on the engine and tolerance level of the devs.

I mean seriously. I'm sick to death of the constant "here comes 500 brown people kill em waves" we see in these wonderfully storied games. Or if they do not use brown people they use Russians.

Or if they want to be edge they use North Koreans but are Really Chinese.

Point is. Most of us sane people who play these murder sims play for repetitive map situations and variable battles.

Do you know how many times I've played De_dust/2 since 1998?

Hundreds if not thousands upon thousands of times.

Anyone remember the CS with a story? That one on the 360 that all of eight people played for?

How many of you complete the campaigns in your fps games? I'd be surprised if anyone did for the fun and no say a reward or trophy (BF4...).

On opposing fronts so far every ID single player FPS has reminded me why I play fps's..mostly because they are steam coasters now.

I play to engage in other players beyond a retarded AI constraint.
    I hunt humans and am hunted in a virtual world.
    I enjoy conflict with other human beings that can match me.

Some of you like being held by the hand and told to press b to open that door and engage in a slow motion breach simulation in which you have to kill the enemies in a specific order or Captain:Generic will die and you see red and then back to checkpoint

Some of you enjoy that. It's cool. Stories over action. I get it.
    But stfu saying fps's need a single player campaign.

I bought Overwatch because it's exclusively online. If I could just buy Multiplayer Call of duty then I would. If I could just get multiplayer BF I would.

Some of you just hate competition and like to win with the bullshit tale you tell people about how you engage in your stories.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    They give you all of the heroes and future updates for free. Why would it be free to play. The microtransactions do absolutely nothing, you earn loot crates on every single level up, of which there is no level cap, some people are already level 100. That's 100 crates you got without paying, up to whatever level you ever stop at (the exp curve stops at like 22000 exp to level up or something). The only thing that even comes out of crates is cosmetic crap that doesn't do anything to effect the gameplay experience whatsoever. 

If a company offers further service and updates for a game that costs a base price and has everything content wise offered without more transactions, how would they cover the cost of future updates of maps and characters that they are giving out for free. You would end up paying the base cost for the game, and then buying each "dlc" as they came out at that point. Or they give you the base game, stop updating it and just say here you go! Or you could have the base transaction, earnable crates that you can keep earning forever, and purchaseable crates that give people who don't want to earn them the ability to pay if they want, so they can cover the further costs of development for every person who wants to keep playing the game. 

It's a fun game, it's worth every penny in my opinion, and everyone complains about every payment model. Cosmetic microtransactions that you can still earn in game is one of the fairest models of B2P I have seen. 
  • prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    the game is fun. if you dont want to buy it, then dont. your presence isnt missed.

• DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    I have 80+ hours into it, and have really only played 6 or so of the classes. This game will last me a long ass time.