Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chris Roberts and Star Citizen will not be at E3 this year.

Comments

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Back on topic. One of the most hyped games ever passing up a chance to show what the hype is all about. Why pass up a chance to demo the new "I was at E3 2016 ship skin" for the low  price of $9.99.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    hupa said:
    filmoret said:
    No its 64 bit space which allows for nearly infinite parameters.  Right now the space parameters for everyone is 11-15KM.  Noone has successfully went very far beyond this.  CIG is claiming they can do 10 million KM.  That is quite significant and yes its a breakthrough and very newsworthy once it has been proven.
    There are variables which you have to loop through every frame. Doesn't matter if you have nearly infinite parameters. What does that even mean? Bullshit talk.
    No it isnt.  All the engineers and developers know its a huge deal.  You should do a little research before calling bullcrap on one of the biggest leaps forward for gaming in 10 years.  Why you think loadscreens exist?  Why don't you see anything larger then a 15 KM zone?  Because they can't do it right now.  The chips also are horrible at computing this stuff too.  Which is where AMD has an advantage and why all the hype is about their recent developments.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • howstupidisthishowstupidisthis Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Back on topic. One of the most hyped games ever passing up a chance to show what the hype is all about. Why pass up a chance to demo the new "I was at E3 2016 ship skin" for the low  price of $9.99.
    It's called marketing and it's how they were able to go from the original 12-15 million game, into the mega giant space sim being created now.
    And thanks to ongoing great marketing, we will get everything promised and it will actually work, unlike most AAA games released over the last 10 years, because there are no rich investors waiting for their piece of the pie.
    And didn't most of those games go F2P then disappear after just a few years?
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    64-bit instruction set and 64-bit precision are two very different things :)
  • hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    filmoret said:
    hupa said:
    filmoret said:
    No its 64 bit space which allows for nearly infinite parameters.  Right now the space parameters for everyone is 11-15KM.  Noone has successfully went very far beyond this.  CIG is claiming they can do 10 million KM.  That is quite significant and yes its a breakthrough and very newsworthy once it has been proven.
    There are variables which you have to loop through every frame. Doesn't matter if you have nearly infinite parameters. What does that even mean? Bullshit talk.
    No it isnt.  All the engineers and developers know its a huge deal.  You should do a little research before calling bullcrap on one of the biggest leaps forward for gaming in 10 years.  Why you think loadscreens exist?  Why don't you see anything larger then a 15 KM zone?  Because they can't do it right now.  The chips also are horrible at computing this stuff too.  Which is where AMD has an advantage and why all the hype is about their recent developments.
    You have no clue what you're talking about. Even I have more knowledge and I'm not a programmer. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2016
    I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that E3 has been falling out of favor the last few years. Most are going to things like G.C. and smaller trade-shows instead as they put them directly in touch with the consumer rather than the press.

As for the rest of this thread LOL..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited May 2016
    hupa said:
    filmoret said:
    hupa said:
    filmoret said:
    You have no clue what you're talking about. Even I have more knowledge and I'm not a programmer. 
    he is actually right, but not explaining it in the best way, you've mixed up two different things and are actually wrong :)

Using double floating precision (64-bit) for parallel code tasks on the gpu can take from 3 to 24 times longer to do than single precision (on Nvidia CUDA for instance), which is why as of the present it is almost completely unused for gaming.

With the extreme nature of how much more time it requires, it's not possible to implement in a complex, polish and high visual fidelity game at all, which is why everyone is eagerly waiting to see if Star Citizen's cryengine modifications somehow achieve it
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Do people really want them spending money on E3 instead of developing the game?I think any gamer in the know already knows about this and doesnt need an E3 appearance.
    edited May 2016
    There is both a lack of hardware capability (FP64 bit cores need to be seperate to their FP32, and get cut for consumer graphic cards)

Then a lack of software capability to run it appropriately on neither FP32 (speed impact) nor FP64 hardware (no support outside workstation multi-thousand dollar cards for example weather prediction)

And the lack capability for the implementation to work properly if u somehow solve the above with an extremely innovative and custom solution.

Achieving any of this would make Chris Roberts and/or all the people he is working with(and was working with) internationally recognized for the achievement, while achieving all of it would make them trendsetters, and technological pioneers to be revered as the likes of John Carmack, and would put them in the history books.
    Do people really want them spending money on E3 instead of developing the game?I think any gamer in the know already knows about this and doesnt need an E3 appearance.
    That would likely be the point being made if they were to go... As the motive here for these folks is to make the project and folks behind it look bad in anyway they can... That much was obvious long ago..

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    filmoret said:
    hupa said:
    filmoret said:
    Honest question:

If your comments are true, then how can things like this exist?

http://www.outerra.com/

http://www.prepar3d.com/

http://titanim.net/www/

I'm not criticising your comments and I am far from an expert on them. Please enlighten me.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Lokero said:
    I'm not really sure what the point of the OP is?  So, I'll assume it's some kind of jab at them for backing out of E3.
    In the real world there is good and bad news and both get reported equally. That is how uncensored and objective news work. I did not see this very important news posted here although your resident Star Citizen news reporter, @Erillion, posts every little detail immediately.

The point is that this is important Star Citizen news. The biggest crowd funding game in history not attending the biggest game trade show in the year they release their game: Squadron 42. Especially so if their Office is literally next door to the E3.

That's the news, that is all the point i can make and take away from it. I don't know how you see a jab or whatever in this unless you think any news not praising Star Citizen to the high heavens is a jab.

Carry on Commandos!

Care to elaborate why is it bad news for CIG not attending E3 ? Is this absence going to impact the development process in any form of negative manner ? Will it have an impact on the teams working on the project ?

As already mentioned, in the past many top shelf developers have skipped this show and the same will occur this year.

And here i was thinking this very morning that things are quiet in the SC front on MMORPG. A few hours later some guy makes thread trying as usual with SC / CIG to blow things out of proportion and create "big" news.

edited May 2016
    @laserit

Neither of those examples are the full package, or working in the capacity to be enabled in a game of the scope and quality that Star Citizen is "shooting" to achieve.

As i've already mentioned above there are indie, currently in works, and specialized solutions, but there is not the complete solution to for instance do :

High Graphical Fidelity, multiplayer, fps,tps, space combat, sim, trading, latest gen APIs and technologies and hundreds of other complex systems, while being as good or better in any part, than all of the games before it.

While also working on a wide variety of graphic cards, being optimized, and future proof.

Just because someone has done it before doesn't mean it's "the one" to set the trend, there were plenty smartphones and tablets way before iphone and ipad, and none of them had the impact or set the mainstream trend the way apple did.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Wait people are actually falling for this whole "Chris and the team are too busy making the game!" bullshit?

hahahah wow

(oh wait, I can definitely believe people here are falling for it)
  • dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386
    filmoret said:
    hupa said:
    64 bit was big news when 64 bit processors came out.. if CIG is making it a news about their 'engine', it's pretty sad.
    Are you high? Like, right now?

Have you played any of the Battlecruiser or Universal Combat games? No? How about Elite Dangerous? No? How about Infinity Battlescape? No? Right. Have you heard of a game called No Man's Sky?

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

It is odd that a game that has spent so much time hyping their game everywhere it possibly can is not doing what they have consistently done for awhile now.
    edited May 2016
    heerobya said:
    Wait people are actually falling for this whole "Chris and the team are too busy making the game!" bullshit?

hahahah wow

(oh wait, I can definitely believe people here are falling for it)
    Some might believe that, as that's what the excuse should be. IE giving the benefit of doubt... 

For me I believe if they had something substantial to show (that they haven't revealed yet), they might attend, or at the very least put up during the event. Not having something to show that is new; yet still attending, would be worst for them in the end IMO. 

edited May 2016
    Just because Chris Roberts is trying to make the iphone of video games, doesn't mean it's going to happen, after all, there was only one Steve Jobs (if we forget the in-between part where he screwed up :P)
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    it wasnt you either, it wasnt even in this thread.

what the fuck joke are you even talking about? and why would you applogise for it not going over well when i have no idea what joke you made?
    Holy shit you win!

I don't even know what just happened but you knocked it out of the park.

You're like some weird AI just learning how to communicate with humans. Maybe I'm too tired. Maybe I'm not high enough.

You win, I'm out. I will never comment on any post you make ever again. If I forget this solemn vow please remind me of it in the most snarky way you can.

I am 100% serious.
    I am pleased for that but I still dont know what your talking about. I do think you perception of how I have reacted to your posts are inaccurate by a large margin. That said, it works out better if you dont reply.

thanks

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386
    edited May 2016
    Elidien said:
    I find it odd his schedule will not allow but this now after agreeing to attend months ago. If that part is true, then something major came up. If he and others had planned to attend, hotels would have been booked, travel plans filed, etc.... and all of this a while ago. Assuming they were canceled, something had to have come up. What could have come up on his schedule that would take place of a planned trip such as E3?

As someone who travels to events like E3, there is planning to be done. Since he told them months ago he would and now weeks ago he cannot, is something else that they foresee coming.

I think there are two possibilities. A major milestone with the game is occurring around the same time. Or simply, E3 is not what it use to be and developers no longer are interested.

The third possibility is the one many will jump to and I personally do not see this as a negative right now. Things change, but the reason for the change is what interests me.
    This is simple. Ignore ALL the noise.

They don't need a booth. That's not what the show is about.

He did it last year. And promised to go this year.

Last year he had stuff to show. That was June 2015

This year, they have nothing - nothing - to show at all. In fact, they were already working on an SQ42 trailer for the show, according to my sources. But given the pedigree of AAA games that are coming out and which will be paraded, it is obvious that SQ42 just pales in comparison. For one thing, they never anticipated COD:IW, though they were well aware that ME:A was in the pipeline.

SQ42 can't compete. I mean, seriously, this is what it looked like in Dec 2015. And sources tell me that it still looks EXACTLY like that - TODAY.

I have stated repeatedly in the past months that sources are 100% certain that SQ42 will never release in 2016 and that, at best, it was a mid-to-late 2017 - if CIG survives (they won't if whales stop funding it). Internally, Star Citizen is regarded as FUBAR and right now the focus is to continue using that to continue raising money (JPEG concept ships, shops, aUEC which will become UEC).

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

I watched this vid, I got the feeling I was walking around in the captain's quarters in Eve.
  • SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    E3? Aint got no time for E3 when you have 113 million other things to take care of.........
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Seems like whales are supposed to fork out some more money =)
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Siug said:
    Seems like whales are supposed to fork out some more money =)
    I heard if you buy another ship they'll maybe show it to you in a pre-rendered trailer at E3 in 2018.
    edited May 2016
    laserit said:
    Honest question:

If your comments are true, then how can things like this exist?

http://www.outerra.com/

http://www.prepar3d.com/

http://titanim.net/www/

I'm not criticising your comments and I am far from an expert on them. Please enlighten me.
    Wait wait, i think there's a bit of confusion here, and it might be my fault for not clarifing,

Are any of those games/demos/specialized applications actually utilizing double floating precision in some way on the graphic card, or are they only utilizing it on the cpu, like some flight simulators do ?

For the matter of fact are is anything derek smart mentioned below using it on the gpu either ?

No Man's Sky (ignoring being single-player), has 2 to the power of 64 planets to explore, and that is how the procedural algorithm will extrapolate them the same for everyone, but it's still on the cpu ?, and not used for advanced graphical fidelity and precision within one seamless part of the game ?

My knowledge of this is far from perfect, i haven't invested nearly enough time and brain power to have a solid 99.9% complete understanding of it, so except me to be wrong in some minor things :P
This discussion has been closed.