Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chris Roberts and Star Citizen will not be at E3 this year.

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited May 2016
    Lokero said:
    This thread popped up less than an hour after Erillion's last activity on the forum... from a user with no post history.

Conspiracy confirmed:

trionwreck is actually Erillion.  He played it off by taking a poke at none other than Erillion.

It seems that Erillion has grown bored of his usual routine of countering SC haters and is trying to change his format by playing both sides and trolling against himself.
    Darn, the sikrit is out. ;-)

Have fun

/emote waves at @trionwreck , another-throw-away-single-thread-wonder-Goonie-account-that-wandered-in-from-Somethingawful-forum-and-the-rest-of-his-"commando"-buddies
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    They gonna be too busy in Vegas blowing all that money they been getting for those pretty pictures of ships that may or may not exist one day as pixels.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Wait until they find out you're not even a bunny.
    Do not make me take off my glasses ..... ;-)     [timestamp 2:30]

Have fun

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited May 2016
    Good decision. I think they've spent quite enough time on these PR events the last couple of years, and focusing on the game would be my preference.

I'm sure they'll have something neat to show at another event, soon enough.
    DKLond said:
    Good decision. I think they've spent quite enough time on these PR events the last couple of years, and focusing on the game would be my preference.

I'm sure they'll have something neat to show at another event, soon enough.
    GamesCom in August. Star Citizen Booth is sponsored by INTEL  :-)

Have fun
  • mr1602mr1602 Member UncommonPosts: 216
    It is interesting to see that any 'negative' CIG threads are given the 'you are a goon / derek smart alt / troll' response. That isn't how a logical person would react to a fact though so it is more disturbing than interesting.
    Then again, the poster 'Manofmanyalias' on the SomethingAwful forum just announced he/she is a CIG-paid person so I imagine the same CIG-paid shilling is happening here as well.

I was told by a fairly large backer (now ex-backer) that CIG employees cannot engage DSmart directly. No idea on whether this extends to CIG's PR firm though.

CIG themselves confirmed the attendance less than 4 weeks ago; http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gaming-show-adds-four-more-presenters-for-2016/ so the 'E3 doesn't matter' people were shouting at CIG till now.
    mr1602 said:
    It is interesting to see that any 'negative' CIG threads are given the 'you are a goon / derek smart alt / troll' response. That isn't how a logical person would react to a fact though so it is more disturbing than interesting.
    Then again, the poster 'Manofmanyalias' on the SomethingAwful forum just announced he/she is a CIG-paid person so I imagine the same CIG-paid shilling is happening here as well.

I was told by a fairly large backer (now ex-backer) that CIG employees cannot engage DSmart directly. No idea on whether this extends to CIG's PR firm though.

CIG themselves confirmed the attendance less than 4 weeks ago; http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gaming-show-adds-four-more-presenters-for-2016/ so the 'E3 doesn't matter' people were shouting at CIG till now.
    Is it more or less interesting than how all the positive threads are given the "you are a white knight / CR fanboi" response?
  • mr1602mr1602 Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Out of how many 'you are a troll' responses?

I noticed you haven't addressed the rest like; confirmed CIG shilling and CIG confirmed they'd attend the event less than 4 weeks ago.
    mr1602 said:

Goons spinning yarns for other Goons on their very own SA forum ? I love it.

Have fun
    mr1602 said:
    Out of how many 'you are a troll' responses?

I noticed you haven't addressed the rest like; confirmed CIG shilling and CIG confirmed they'd attend the event less than 4 weeks ago.
    If you want to be taken seriously, you need to be honest. If you can't admit that the problem you're talking about exists on both sides, then you're being dishonest.

As for CIG changing their minds about attending - I've already told you my preference.

To me, changing your mind is an extremely common occurence for a human being - and AFAIK, there's no legal obligation to attend just because you originally wanted to.

As for claims of shilling, I'm probably going to need more than your interpretation of what some unknown poster claims about where he's employed.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Not that long ago one of the criticisms of Roberts was that he was spending far too much resources on conventions.  Funny how times change.
    edited May 2016
    reeereee said:
    Not that long ago one of the criticisms of Roberts was that he was spending far too much resources on conventions.  Funny how times change.
    Yeah. Its "Catch 22".

"CIG and Star Citizen will be at E3..."

typical sentences:
    *   nah, thats just a Chris Roberts ego-stroking opportunity
    *   CIG should not waste backer money on promotions and game-shows
    *   CIG should WORK on the game, not tour game shows
    *   CIG has enough money, why fish for more at E3 ?   etc.

"CIG and Star Citizen will NOT be at E3..."

typical sentences:
    *   nah, they have nothing to show anyway so they stay away
    *   its vaporware
    *   CIG has no money anymore, they cannot afford an expensive booth at E3
    *   someone is too busy snorting coke on his tropical island to bother ...

The GamesCom 2016 booth is sponsored by Intel, so that saves a lot of money for CIG w.r.t. conventions.

Have fun
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited May 2016
    I'm kind of disappointed they aren't going and showing anything. There's been lots of recent talk about how productive people are on SQ42 and that their vertical slice single level (clearly for demo/show purposes) was going through testing and getting some artwork updates, the implied comment being that it was nearing completion.

It seems the subreddit is pretty pissed off with how close-mouthed CIG are being about this sort of stuff 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4lpkst/cig_wont_present_at_pc_gaming_show_after_all/?limit=500
    Post edited by rpmcmurphy on
  • BrorimBrorim Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Erillion said:
    reeereee said:
    Yeah. Its "Catch 22".

"CIG and Star Citizen will be at E3..."

typical sentences:
    *   nah, thats just a Chris Roberts ego-stroking opportunity
    *   CIG should not waste backer money on promotions and game-shows
    *   CIG should WORK on the game, not tour game shows
    *   CIG has enough money, why fish for more at E3 ?   etc.

"CIG and Star Citizen will NOT be at E3..."

typical sentences:
    *   nah, they have nothing to show anyway so they stay away
    *   its vaporware
    *   CIG has no money anymore, they cannot afford an expensive booth at E3
    *   someone is too busy snorting coke on his tropical island to bother ...

The GamesCom 2016 booth is sponsored by Intel, so that saves a lot of money for CIG w.r.t. conventions.

Have fun
    Because it's true .
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    DKLond said:
    mr1602 said:

Is it more or less interesting than how all the positive threads are given the "you are a white knight / CR fanboi" response?
    Only when its relevant. Or at least I'd like to hope only when its relevant lol

People change their minds all the time this is true but what happened between now and 25(26?) days ago that suddenly CIG can't attend E3? E3 is kinda a dying dinosaur anyway imo but you don't usually say you are going to attend and less than a month later with 2 weeks to go do an about face without a pretty good reason behind it.

I'd like to think that if Chris was just a bit more up front with things then there wouldn't be so many conspiracy theories thrown around. This is supposed to be open game development right? So start being open and upfront with your backers and there would be less room to craft some fantastical stories about why they aren't showing up.
    edited May 2016
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:
    mr1602 said:

Only when its relevant. Or at least I'd like to hope only when its relevant lol

People change their minds all the time this is true but what happened between now and 25(26?) days ago that suddenly CIG can't attend E3? E3 is kinda a dying dinosaur anyway imo but you don't usually say you are going to attend and less than a month later with 2 weeks to go do an about face without a pretty good reason behind it.

I'd like to think that if Chris was just a bit more up front with things then there wouldn't be so many conspiracy theories thrown around. This is supposed to be open game development right? So start being open and upfront with your backers and there would be less room to craft some fantastical stories about why they aren't showing up.
    More upfront than explaining they won't attend because they need to focus resources on developing the game - and not take them away by making impressive demos - or having key people away from their jobs for several days?

There's a difference between not being upfront and people not listening.

What happened between now and then is pretty obvious to me. They decided their time would be better served by focusing on developing the game, and that they'd have nothing to show that was cost effective to "put together" in time.

They've been more upfront than any other developer I'm aware of, and they've made it plain recently that they're not going to have as many public events as they had in the past, and they've made the reasons above extremely clear.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Likely they just don't have enough reveals for E3, Gamescom and Citizencon. If they don't have enough good stuff for all three, then E3 is the logical choice to leave out.

I'm a bit worried about Star Citizen, though. They need something good to get more backer money and currently they're being awfully silent about anything that would be good enough. I hope they're just biding their time for a well timed big reveal, and not in trouble.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    edited May 2016
    Good, keep their focus on delivering playable patches like they have since the start of this year, than some unplayable hype build that is a while away from making it into the game playable.

/www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/videos
    They post videos about the development every week.... so its not like its silence until these shows. This isn't the typical E3 product where very little is known other than title and only rumors until its reveal.

Have they not already done enough reveals anyways? Lets get them all into a playable package first please.

Funny how focusing on development can be seen as a bad thing by some people.

Kefo said:

As far as I have heard CIG has already told the E3 guys 3 weeks ago that they will not attend. So much for "suddenly can't attend".

So this is old news, rehashed by a new throw-away Goon account to once again stir the pot and create the  usual drama.

Deja Vu.

I also agree with a point that @Vrika made:
    >>>>Likely they just don't have enough reveals for E3, Gamescom and Citizencon. If they don't have enough good stuff for all three, then E3 is the logical choice to leave out.>>>

I guess CIG concentrates on delivering some interesting stuff for the more important game show (=GamesCom) and their own "house event".

Have fun 

• trionwrecktrionwreck Member UncommonPosts: 128
    edited May 2016
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

As far as I have heard CIG has already told the E3 guys 3 weeks ago that they will not attend. So much for "suddenly can't attend".

So this is old news, rehashed by a new throw-away Goon account to once again stir the pot and create the  usual drama.

Deja Vu.
    Would you mind sharing that source you heard that they told E3 they will not attend? I am sure you got a link ready as you seem to be very resourceful.

If it is old news why did you not report it and why did CIG not tell the backers? Can you provide a link to this old news?

Again with the accusations. The funny thing is that the only one here creating drama is you with your ad hominem attacks and paranoid theories of goons and derek smart everywhere.

If you can not discuss the topic without calling people names or accusing them of being someone else that exist only in your head then please stay the $#@! out of my thread.

----

This was a simple post about a game company that is going to release a major AAA game this year and confirmed to show it at E3 just 4 weeks ago, cancelling that event in the last minute for no good reason.

Their E3 opportunity represented 1M free viewers and was 30 minutes from HQ. A proxy for Chris could've gone, and the free exposure wouldve been a great way to plug the games. But they have nothing they feel comfortable showing to the general gaming public. Just as they didn't when the BBC showed up.

----

Tthis thread has once again turned into the usual bickering about something that is not even relevant to the news thanks to people like @Erillion.

Carry on Commandos!
  • trionwrecktrionwreck Member UncommonPosts: 128
    edited May 2016
    MrSyn said:

Have they not already done enough reveals anyways? Lets get them all into a playable package first please.

If they prepared for E3 up until a couple of days ago then they already wasted all the resources for nothing. Not going to the event will certainly not harm development. Working on an E3 presentation, trailer, playable demo for 2-3 months prior to the event will but they already done that if they confirmed to go 4 weeks ago and then cancelled just now.

I have not seen any reveal about SQ42, you know that AAA game that is supposed to come out this year and is going to save PC gaming.

Carry on Commandos!
    MrSyn said:

If they prepared for E3 up until a couple of days ago then they already wasted all the resources for nothing. Not going to the event will certainly not harm development. Working on an E3 presentation, trailer, playable demo for 2-3 months prior to the event will but they already done that if they confirmed to go 4 weeks ago and then cancelled just now.

I have not seen any reveal about SQ42, you know that AAA game that is supposed to come out this year and is going to save PC gaming.
    First of all, we don't know how long they usually prepare for an event - and it could all come down to them waiting until it's ready.

They could very well have something under preparation, but it might not be ready to show yet. So, they could easily be waiting until later - and THEN show it.

Point is this is all pure speculation - and there's no sign there's anything wrong at all.
    edited May 2016
    Would you mind sharing that source you heard that they told E3 they will not attend? I am sure you got a link ready as you seem to be very resourceful.
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/30/11720714/what-to-expect-from-the-pc-gaming-show

"A representative for Cloud Imperium tells us that Roberts sent PC Gamer his regrets just a few weeks ago.."

"...the spokesperson tells us that Roberts will be devoting all his efforts to work on Squadron 42 at his studio in England. The rep added that the studio will have something to show at Gamescom in August."

It is the same source you quoted. I understand "a few weeks" as more than 2.
    4 weeks ago PC Gamer still mentions Star Citizen as attending.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gaming-show-adds-four-more-presenters-for-2016/
    Therefore the 3 weeks mentioned in my post above.

Have fun

• EmbersEmbers Member UncommonPosts: 66
    They have nothing to show, so no point going.
This discussion has been closed.