Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some Vanilla News

spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
Mark's POV about the conversation with Blizzard can be found here. There are still talks with Nost to come in the near future, as Blizzard has stated.

Blizzard discussion thread about pristine servers, which includes alot of talk about legacy or classic server types (over 500 page right now):
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20743584206

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    In other words, he's got nothing new to say and that 500 page thread is 499 pages of the same back and forth between those in favor of vanilla and those not in favor.

When the meeting happens and there's actual news one way or another, then I'll be more interested.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Suspiciously sounds like Trump meeting Paul Ryan...

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Well, they have vanilla source code for one thing. I think that's news in and of itself, even if sites don't want to report it. Also, the initial talk went rather well, so that is actual progress. 

Some people might not even be aware of these discussions at Blizzard and have a desire to hop in. 

Edit: Also, most of the back and forth is not pro or con, but rather legal implications, technical difficulties, and lore debate. 
    SBFord said:
    In other words, he's got nothing new to say and that 500 page thread is 499 pages of the same back and forth between those in favor of vanilla and those not in favor.

When the meeting happens and there's actual news one way or another, then I'll be more interested.
    To clarify. There was a meeting. The first one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited May 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Mark Kern really has a lot of free time on his hands doesn't he? How's that Firefall game doin?
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    You know, they could make a Vanilla server work with very little effort after everything is rolling.  Little effort, because there would not be any added content.  All they would need is a basic level of support, and a small crew to make event stuff, like Christmas events.

Give people what they want, the basic game after the first patch (brought the level cap to 60) and patched to close known exploits.

Make it F2P with restrictions, or they can pay a monthly fee of say $9.99 to have full access.  They would not need a full $14.99 a month because there would not be the same level of support needed as the main game.

These servers could be the trial servers, letting players play free all the way to 60 with restrictions (no Black Wing Spire or Molten Core, limits on crafting, banking and the AH, exclusions of some zones, etc) with the option to transfer their characters to a main server if they choose.

I'll never play WoW again in any form (if you want to know why, PM me, but trust me, no one is going to convert me), but I think this would be a very good thing for Blizzard and the player base.  Since this would help the MMORPG genre as a whole, something I am very interested in, I am fully in favor of such a thing happening.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    And the click bait continues...
    edited May 2016
    Albatroes said:
    And the click bait continues...
    Suit yourself, but above is the latest if you'd care read up.

Edit: Also, thought this was one of the more interesting responses from Mark:

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    GladDog said:
    You know, they could make a Vanilla server work with very little effort after everything is rolling.  Little effort, because there would not be any added content.  All they would need is a basic level of support, and a small crew to make event stuff, like Christmas events.

Give people what they want, the basic game after the first patch (brought the level cap to 60) and patched to close known exploits.

Make it F2P with restrictions, or they can pay a monthly fee of say $9.99 to have full access.  They would not need a full $14.99 a month because there would not be the same level of support needed as the main game.

These servers could be the trial servers, letting players play free all the way to 60 with restrictions (no Black Wing Spire or Molten Core, limits on crafting, banking and the AH, exclusions of some zones, etc) with the option to transfer their characters to a main server if they choose.

I'll never play WoW again in any form (if you want to know why, PM me, but trust me, no one is going to convert me), but I think this would be a very good thing for Blizzard and the player base.  Since this would help the MMORPG genre as a whole, something I am very interested in, I am fully in favor of such a thing happening.

How do they tie things they changed like the authentication changes made in WotLK?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I think eventually Blizzard will allow Nost to continue, but with heavy royalties.  Basically sub contracting it out, with no out word affiliation.

Guess:

- Everyone will have to pay a sub.

- no advertisement ( business as usual ).

- Blizzard will shut down all others. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Blizzard is releasing Legion soon. Even if they had already decided on vanilla servers, we wouldn't know anything about it before they'd have milked Legion.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited May 2016
    More power to ANYONE helping the push for vanilla. I believe Blizzard fully realizes how much play time and retention is obtained by hosting vanilla, TBC and Wotlk as separate entities. Literally years of play time for most. 

Getting all this started is where the man hours will be but once each type of progression server opens, there is only minimal support needed as the content already exists. Personally I'd love to see changes made to better each version. Perhaps minor content and balance patches tailored to each edition but little else would be required.

I find it odd how so many people can't grasp why people want to play these editions. It is a very simple concept: These Wow versions no longer exist, yet they BUILT Blizzard. It isn't like it's an old Warcraft game you can play at any time. Blizzard made these games (they are different games because they can be hosted completely separate from each other) go away ... completely! The modern game is utterly different in concept as to make it not even in the same genre.

With the ongoing private server drama, the players need an official and safe home to play these versions. It is the wild west out there with the best of intentions by those trying to host them but the players ultimately require professional service and protection especially once a pay wall is required.

You stay sassy!

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Tamanous said:
    More power to ANYONE helping the push for vanilla. I believe Blizzard fully realizes how much play time and retention is obtained by hosting vanilla, TBC and Wotlk as separate entities. Literally years of play time for most. 

Getting all this started is where the man hours will be but once each type of progression server opens, there is only minimal support needed as the content already exists. Personally I'd love to see changes made to better each version. Perhaps minor content and balance patches tailored to each edition but little else would be required.

I find it odd how so many people can't grasp why people want to play these editions. It is a very simple concept: These Wow versions no longer exist, yet they BUILT Blizzard. It isn't like it's an old Warcraft game you can play at any time. Blizzard made these games go away ... completely! The modern game is utterly different in concept as to make it not even in the same genre.
    Personally, I never understood wanting to go back to the past. That said, I'm also the kind of person who'd rather hit myself repeatedly than play, say, EQ classic or DAoC these days.

While I'm not happy with how WoW has changed, I don't think the solution is to go back to before it changed. There's only so much content - and I think most of us exhausted it ages ago. There's nothing new or fresh to see - and it's still completely rooted in a gear-treadmill progression formula. Going back will just mean ending the reason for progressing that much sooner.

The only solution would be to take it in another direction, but that's not going to happen, so...
    edited May 2016
    DKLond said:
    Tamanous said:

I find it odd how so many people can't grasp why people want to play these editions. It is a very simple concept: These Wow versions no longer exist, yet they BUILT Blizzard. It isn't like it's an old Warcraft game you can play at any time. Blizzard made these games go away ... completely! The modern game is utterly different in concept as to make it not even in the same genre.
    Personally, I never understood wanting to go back to the past. That said, I'm also the kind of person who'd rather hit myself repeatedly than play, say, EQ classic or DAoC these days.

While I'm not happy with how WoW has changed, I don't think the solution is to go back to before it changed. There's only so much content - and I think most of us exhausted it ages ago. There's nothing new or fresh to see - and it's still completely rooted in a gear-treadmill progression formula. Going back will just mean ending the reason for progressing that much sooner.

The only solution would be to take it in another direction, but that's not going to happen, so...
    We aren't living in the past. We are playing vanilla RIGHT NOW and enjoying the f#cking shit out it!

This is about making official servers for an EXISTING market. Nobody is asking for retail to vanish as it exists. 

Update yourself on the situation before posting. If you don't like these games:

DO
    NOT
    PLAY
    THEM

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:
    DKLond said:
    Tamanous said:

We aren't living in the past. We are playing vanilla RIGHT NOW and enjoying the f#cking shit out it!

This is about making official servers for an EXISTING market. Nobody is asking for retail to vanish as it exists. 

DO
    NOT
    PLAY
    THEM
    There's no reason to get upset or exaggerate.

I said I don't, personally, understand why you'd want to live in the past. I didn't say you couldn't enjoy it or that it would mean the end of retail.

So, please try to read before you extrapolate based on nothing at all.
    edited May 2016
    DKLond said:
    Tamanous said:
    DKLond said:
    Tamanous said:

DO
    NOT
    PLAY
    THEM

I said I don't, personally, understand why you'd want to live in the past. I didn't say you couldn't enjoy it or that it would mean the end of retail.

First off: You have no point to make.

Secondly: You are so ignorant to this topic I ponder why you wish to embarrass yourself further.

Most players during vanilla never got to see late game progression because the game turned into TBC. 2 years later it turned into Wotlk and TBC vanished. Only a tiny percentage of the player base ever got to participate in late tier raiding before it vanished. So this is old content to most in your eyes? lol

New players FLOOD to these vanilla servers. The vast majority of current Wow players never even played pre-cata versions. This is what caused the divide we see today why we even say pre-cata and post-cata. Both eras attracted entirely different audiences. I see and talk to new players to vanilla each and every day. Old school players from vanilla times make up a small percentage of the current vanilla player base.

Vanilla Wow, TBC and Wotlk is, in fact, nearly entirely new content for the majority of the players playing RIGHT NOW! This isn't living in the past in any way shape or form. Even the highly knowledgeable veterans in game only got to play part or all of the content for a very brief time before that edition vanished and the excitement in game to play that content over again brings them back. Vanilla piqued everyone's interest (with FAR better retention than current Wow manages) for 3 years. TBC kept player's interest for 2 years. Wotlk (although this is where Wow started to fumble) lasted 2 years and is the only version competing with vanilla player levels on private servers so it's popularity is without question. 

Bringing these 3 versions officially online, nearly static, would offer multiple times more content and player retention than retail Wow offers currently or even after the new expansion. The amazing thing is this would be parallel to retail because the audiences already are proven to exist largely separately.

You say you don't understand but in fact you choose to not understand ... so this information I give is apparently for any one else seeking enlightenment on the subject.

I truly believe Blizzard see the potential here but they must align their products accordingly and this will take time and planning.

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:
    DKLond said:
    Tamanous said:
    DKLond said:
    Tamanous said:

DO
    NOT
    PLAY
    THEM

First off: You have no point to make.

Secondly: You are so ignorant to this topic I ponder why you wish to embarrass yourself further.

Most players during vanilla never got to see late game progression because the game turned into TBC. 2 years later it turned into Wotlk and TBC vanished. Only a tiny percentage of the player base ever got to participate in late tier raiding before it vanished. So this is old content to most in your eyes? lol

New players FLOOD to these vanilla servers. The vast majority of current Wow players never even played pre-cata versions. This is what caused the divide we see today why we even say pre-cata and post-cata. Both eras attracted entirely different audiences. I see and talk to new players to vanilla each and every day. Old school players from vanilla times make up a small percentage of the current vanilla player base.

Vanilla Wow, TBC and Wotlk is, in fact, nearly entirely new content for the majority of the players playing RIGHT NOW! This isn't living in the past in any way shape or form. Even the highly knowledgeable veterans in game only got to play part or all of the content for a very brief time before that edition vanished and the excitement in game to play that content over again brings them back.

You say you don't understand but in fact you choose to not understand ... so this information I give is apparently for any one else seeking enlightenment on the subject.
    You're really quite upset that people see things differently, aren't you?

Instead of nostalgic trips to the past - maybe consider therapy? Should be healthier and more productive in the long run.

Just a thought.

As for your conjecture and projection - that doesn't quite convince.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    waynejr2 said:
    GladDog said:

How do they tie things they changed like the authentication changes made in WotLK?
    Like I said, they need to patch the game up for the modern world, they just don't need to add content.  Isn't that what the players using the pirate server wanted? Just the game as it existed before the Burning Crusade expansion?

Once they get the hard work, patching the game so it is safe, and making a F2P system, there would not be a lot of work remaining.  They would have to use the modern authentication system so that the characters could be transferred to the regular servers, if that is what the player eventually wanted to do...

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    just curious, but what is the arguments against the Vanilla Server?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

From Blizzard?

Probably a waste of resources.
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    I havent seen anyone arguing against them, more just people trying to point out why they think its unlikely to happen.

I think the only concern people have (Atleast from what I have read) is that Blizzard cant keep a content stream steady for the live version of the game, if resources are put towards an older version, that is only going to add to the fact that they simply cant maintain a steady stream of content.

I played Vanilla to death, I miss the social ties I had back then, the friends I gamed with.  The game its self was not amazing, the people I played with made it special so I have no vested interest in that side, nor do I currently play wow, so I have no interest in the other side of the debate.

I just dont think it will come to pass in the way that people want. 
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    if they make vanilla servers they will be more popular than the current live servers , people will say that only noobs play retail, i mean  its easier isnt it?

The servers will be packed solid mark my words 

man it will be awesome to link up with old guilds that i played in at vannila , such good friends made 
    i still play with people even today that i met in vanilla in various games , my sister even met her fiance in vanilla wow .Im so ready to do it all again !!!

ps.. i miss NOS :(