Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chris Roberts and Star Citizen will not be at E3 this year.

trionwrecktrionwreck Member UncommonPosts: 128
edited May 2016 in Star Citizen

Last year, developer Chris Roberts promised to show up in person at the 2016 PC Gaming Show to talk about Star Citizen. However, Polygon has learned that Roberts will not be on hand. Cloud Imperium will not be participating in the PC Gaming Show despite agreeing several months ago to do so.

A representative for Cloud Imperium tells us that Roberts sent PC Gamer his regrets just a few weeks ago, saying that his schedule won't allow for a trip to Los Angeles. In fact, the studio is skipping E3 entirely.

Instead, the spokesperson tells us that Roberts will be devoting all his efforts to work on Squadron 42 at his studio in EnglandThe rep added that the studio will have something to show at Gamescom in August.

[Source Polygon]

@1m42s:

-----

I am usually just reading but this really hit me as strange and i had to post.

I am wondering why the Star citizen representative on this forum, @Erillion, is not posting this important news about the game. I always see him post almost immediately after CIG releases anything.

Carry on Commandos!
Post edited by trionwreck on

Comments

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Seems like a lot of companies aren't coming.

Disney Interactive and Wargaming won't have booths at E3 2016. The two major publishers join Activision Blizzard and Electronic Arts.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I'm not really sure what the point of the OP is?  So, I'll assume it's some kind of jab at them for backing out of E3.

All I can say to that is that a great many developers have abandoned E3 at this point, last I heard.  I'm not really sure why, but E3 is looking dead in the water this year.  There must be some underlying cause related to E3 itself that is driving studios away.

I think the big three will still be there -- Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.  But, quite a few have backed out.
  • trionwrecktrionwreck Member UncommonPosts: 128
    edited May 2016
    Seems like a lot of companies aren't coming.

Disney Interactive and Wargaming won't have booths at E3 2016. The two major publishers join Activision Blizzard and Electronic Arts.
    A booth costs money, i can understand if they join other publishers booths. It's just strange not to go when your Office is literally next door to the E3.

Carry on Commandos!
    edited May 2016
    Lokero said:
    I'm not really sure what the point of the OP is?  So, I'll assume it's some kind of jab at them for backing out of E3.
    In the real world there is good and bad news and both get reported equally. That is how uncensored and objective news work. I did not see this very important news posted here although your resident Star Citizen news reporter, @Erillion, posts every little detail immediately.

The point is that this is important Star Citizen news. The biggest crowd funding game in history not attending the biggest game trade show in the year they release their game: Squadron 42. Especially so if their Office is literally next door to the E3.

That's the news, that is all the point i can make and take away from it. I don't know how you see a jab or whatever in this unless you think any news not praising Star Citizen to the high heavens is a jab.

Carry on Commandos!

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    It's because they don't have anything worth showing. Tick tock tick tock....

• RedsaltRedsalt Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Good. Finish SQ42, no need for anymore marketing.

Redsalt... the other salt.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    People still follow this game? 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I don't really understand your point here.  It's not unheard of to have AAA games/companies skipping E3.  Squareenix has skipped it in the past and other large developers/publishers have as well just as an example.  Are you sure you aren't just trying to make a mountain out of an ant hill?

Just fyi, I have $0.00 invested (lol) in SC.  I don't really have strong feelings one way or another.  As a neutral third party.  It's very easy to see those on both sides who attempt to stir the pot.  While trying to proclaim this as just information to be shared.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited May 2016
    Elidien said:
    I find it odd his schedule will not allow but this now after agreeing to attend months ago. If that part is true, then something major came up. If he and others had planned to attend, hotels would have been booked, travel plans filed, etc.... and all of this a while ago. Assuming they were canceled, something had to have come up. What could have come up on his schedule that would take place of a planned trip such as E3?

As someone who travels to events like E3, there is planning to be done. Since he told them months ago he would and now weeks ago he cannot, is something else that they foresee coming.

I think there are two possibilities. A major milestone with the game is occurring around the same time. Or simply, E3 is not what it use to be and developers no longer are interested.

The third possibility is the one many will jump to and I personally do not see this as a negative right now. Things change, but the reason for the change is what interests me.
    the third being that they thought they'd have something major to show and realized they can't get it done in time?

The fourth being that they realized they are waaaay behind schedule and need to cut back on promoting and get something ship-able?  Just like George RR Martin realized Winds of Winter is waaaay behind and cut back on all the extra stuff he was doing.

You can't spin stuff like this in a good way.  They've clearly hit technical issues the past year+ as predicted by people in the industry, even Derek Smart :( 
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Chris Roberts missing a chance to strut about and indulge in his usual self-puffery?   Something must be up indeed.   If he's actually going to the England studio, that's a check mark against Squadron 42.   If you want something done, you send Erin:  If you want something delayed, you send Chris.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Recore said:
    People still follow this game? 
    It's the biggest crowd funded game in history, why would you not follow it? No matter what happens it will affect crowd funding and gaming on a much larger level than we want to.

If it is acceptable to sell dreams and virtually nothing but pictures for thousands of dollars prior to a game existing, it will have an impact on future game development and marketing. Big publishers want a piece of this juicy cake that creates millions of dollars for literally no work.

There is a backer born every minute.

Carry on Commandos!
    edited May 2016
    I don't really understand your point here.  It's not unheard of to have AAA games/companies skipping E3.  Squareenix has skipped it in the past and other large developers/publishers have as well just as an example.  Are you sure you aren't just trying to make a mountain out of an ant hill?

Just fyi, I have $0.00 invested (lol) in SC.  I don't really have strong feelings one way or another.  As a neutral third party.  It's very easy to see those on both sides who attempt to stir the pot.  While trying to proclaim this as just information to be shared.
    You don't need me to make a point for you, or do you?

If the people working at this website were competent and journalists they would have reported this. It's big news if a game releasing does not attend E3 that year.

Let's see in history what happened that was similar...oh yes this happened:

Sounds pretty familiar to what polygon reported:

"Instead, the spokesperson tells us that Roberts will be devoting all his efforts to work on Squadron 42 at his studio in EnglandThe rep added that the studio will have something to show at Gamescom in August."

Just saying, make up your own point though by all means.

Carry on Commandos!
    Elidien said:
    I find it odd his schedule will not allow but this now after agreeing to attend months ago. If that part is true, then something major came up. If he and others had planned to attend, hotels would have been booked, travel plans filed, etc.... and all of this a while ago. Assuming they were canceled, something had to have come up. What could have come up on his schedule that would take place of a planned trip such as E3?

As someone who travels to events like E3, there is planning to be done. Since he told them months ago he would and now weeks ago he cannot, is something else that they foresee coming.

I think there are two possibilities. A major milestone with the game is occurring around the same time. Or simply, E3 is not what it use to be and developers no longer are interested.

The third possibility is the one many will jump to and I personally do not see this as a negative right now. Things change, but the reason for the change is what interests me.
    the third being that they thought they'd have something major to show and realized they can't get it done in time?

The fourth being that they realized they are waaaay behind schedule and need to cut back on promoting and get something ship-able?  Just like George RR Martin realized Winds of Winter is waaaay behind and cut back on all the extra stuff he was doing.

You can't spin stuff like this in a good way.  They've clearly hit technical issues the past year+ as predicted by people in the industry, even Derek Smart :( 
    As a friend of mine said to me in chat:

"They don't have to have nothing to show. Pretend they had the best trailer Chris could cook up-- filling in the blanks using Admiral Bishop level quality writing. Would they really want to put that head to head against Andromeda and Infinite Warfare reveals?

Chris is too proud to risk having his ass handed to him in an uncontrolled environment. And the downside risks of streaming a show where a lackluster reveal is met with golf claps from a general gaming crowd at E3 is too great-- that would be livestreamed to backers and only further reinforce the sickening and heartbreaking truths of Star Citizen and Squadron 42...."

Carry on Commandos!
  • howstupidisthishowstupidisthis Member UncommonPosts: 147

If the people working at this website were competent and journalists they would have reported this. It's big news if a game releasing does not attend E3 that year.

The biggest crowd funding game in history not attending the biggest game trade show in the year they release their game: Squadron 42. Especially so if their Office is literally next door to the E3.

Carry on Commandos!
    Actually the reason is simple, the timing is all wrong!!

Many people forget they are creating a company and two complete games all while rebuilding the cryengine. That's a lot of work and since they have no big reveals, it makes no since to waste time with this event and instead use that time for development.
    And still you guys complain.....smh
    edited May 2016

The biggest crowd funding game in history not attending the biggest game trade show in the year they release their game: Squadron 42. Especially so if their Office is literally next door to the E3.

Carry on Commandos!

Many people forget they are creating a company and two complete games all while rebuilding the cryengine. That's a lot of work and since they have no big reveals, it makes no since to waste time with this event and instead use that time for development.
    I don't see anyone complaining.

It's just very important news when a company skips E3 the year they release their AAA major hit game. It has only happened once in history so far and we all know how that ended. So i would say this is pretty important news would you not agree?

Carry on Commandos!
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Yea the excuse given by CR is kinda lame.  You cant take off a week and advertise your game at the biggest gaming event of the year?  Now we have seen several reasons for such an action.  First would be that the game has enough publicity and there is no need to show it off.  This is probable but highly unlikely.  Second would be they have nothing to show except another video of what they have already shown in previous years.  Which is highly likely.  Last the game is out of money and going into vaporware.  Which makes me wonder why haven't really heard a peep since they did a free week.  

I mean really he is working so hard on sq42.... Make people think you are working your arse off so they don't bother you. 
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Well, you really should have more than just a tech demo at E3, or at the very least a new one. And we all know Roberts and CIG don't have jack squat other than the same tired, pre-rendered crap they've been showing for three years. Plus a booth costs money they don't have because they spent it on fancy office furniture and endlessly re-working game assets, like character models!

I'm sure the CIG White Knight Squadron will be along any moment to tell us everything is perfectly fine. Move along, nothing to see here, yadda yadda. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Well, you really should have more than just a tech demo at E3, or at the very least a new one. And we all know Roberts and CIG don't have jack squat other than the same tired, pre-rendered crap they've been showing for three years. Plus a booth costs money they don't have because they spent it on fancy office furniture and endlessly re-working game assets, like character models!

I'm sure the CIG White Knight Squadron will be along any moment to tell us everything is perfectly fine. Move along, nothing to see here, yadda yadda. 
    Someone did their homework.    As for the OP being brenics.  I don't think he is because brenics wasn't very logical and the op has a point.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    My first impression is the OP is implying something negative.  That's my impression, not fact.  That being said, CIG can't win here and I say this a harsh critic of their game.

If they do show up, the critics will complain they are wasting money on E3 which is a bloated self-promoting, pat yourself on the back type of trade show.  If they don't show up, the conspiracy theorists will say something is wrong and Roberts is scared to take the abuse.  The only way they could come out ahead is if they had big news that Star Citizen is going live but we all know that's not the case.

So whatever the reason, I don't blame CIG for not showing up.
  • rapatpamprapatpamp Member UncommonPosts: 144
    I am so damn shocked right now....
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    rapatpamp said:
    I am so damn shocked right now....
    I have nothing but your text to go by, but even with that I can feel the sarcasm. XD

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    E3 is nothing more then a overpriced ego stroking event. It is a shell of what it started out as. Getting a booth costs soo much money and large companies are finding it cheaper and more cost effective to just host there own events instead of forking out the insane amounts that is needed for a booth at E3.

EA, Activision, Wargaming, Disney, and many many others are not going to be showing up to E3. So how is this suprising?

Activision wont be there showing off the next Call of Duty, ect. So it is no big surprise to see people jumping ship of the sinking E3 wasteland.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    This thread popped up less than an hour after Erillion's last activity on the forum... from a user with no post history.

Conspiracy confirmed:

trionwreck is actually Erillion.  He played it off by taking a poke at none other than Erillion.

It seems that Erillion has grown bored of his usual routine of countering SC haters and is trying to change his format by playing both sides and trolling against himself.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

Carry on Commandos!

Or Chris realized that he wouldn't be showing things off to a room full of backers and instead random people who would probably at best just sit there and stare blankly at the screen or maybe manage a awkward clap to try and make it seem like they care when they realize the camera is on them. That's just my opinion of course
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    I don't see all these people see attacking E3 of the quality of it's showcase makes it valid justification of CIG not being there.

Those are 2 separate issues. CIG's justification would've been perfectly valid if people just said "yeap they just don't want to be there" instead of these other straw justifications.

At the end of the day, a trade is a trade show. I do see a bit interesting that a game so marketed as SC not being there but on the otherhand they are also not obliged to be there.

It is as if Northrop Grumman not being at military expo I would say "hmm interesting" but also wouldn't make much of it, certainly no need to make up all these douchy justification about the military expo being too "expensive" to have a booth or being "and ego stroke". It's like come on man, of course it is an ego stroke - it is a freaking tradeshow!
This discussion has been closed.