Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why classic servers is not a good idea

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
edited May 2016 in World of Warcraft
There is a post about Classic servers, but the OP asks people that dont think Classic servers will work not to post there..  So here a post to discuss why they will not work.... No flaming, just opinions please...  and offcourse its okay to disagree with me, as long as you can bring arguments on the table..

The strength of WoW is that it has allways been moving forward every expansion pack adding just enough content to make the game feel semi fresh... untill now, they did just great with that, as the game is still very much alive after more then a decade.

What they need to do, is repackage all the level 1 to 100 content and make it available again at level 110 (assuming this project will be done after Legion gets finished) in a kind of time travel package where people can choose the difficultie of the content in a kind of Diablo esque system... with 3 levels of difficulties/settings. They could even have a vanilla version of the old world available in this(but that will not suit the purists that want Vanilla WoW back).    This allows people to choose the kind of challenge they want when going trough that content, content many probably never even played..

If they can give people enough reasons to revisit the old lands, it could distract from the lack of current end level progression...  IF they really want to make it attractive, they will add new questlines from time to time that will take people back there (in time) and set them off with the major story lines..   But they need to make the content worth while for everyone to do...  there should be some kind of progression system..

So far classic servers never worked well for any game, there was an initial rise, but it allways fell quite fast again, except for the small group with dedication..  Sure a small group will play Classic servers initially, but a huge majorrity will stick to the current game, most players that never actually played Vanilla will recognise vanilla WoW as old fashioned and not enjoyable.  Let me ask you this, how many of the current WoW population played Vanilla?

To get the community feel back, we once had in old MMO's Blizzard needs to be innovative and add new features that will make people communicate and work together again... this also could be as part of this relived content... with the hardest level of the content requiring small groups for many things to archieve...  And other innovative features..  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I know some people don't like de-leveling but it works well in GW2 and allows players to enjoy all the maps.  Aion added advanced quests lines to starter areas and it was nice to see the extra activities and high level players running around in the starter zones.  Any game that allows high level characters to do stuff in low level areas is a good thing.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I feel like classic servers might get a bit of players at first.  But, after a few months of no updates at all.  Just the same end game content basically forever.  I really doubt many will stick around.  It will be niche at best and people will start crying that they pay $15 a month and get no updates.  Most will expect Blizzard to put in new content that is "vanilla" inspired.  Something I highly doubt Blizzard would do.  

In the end, most will stop playing or move back to the regular servers.  I honestly believe Blizzard acknowledges this and why they won't commit to a Classic server.
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    i tend to disagree i think eq tlp servers are doing quite well. i dont see why the same wouldnt work for wow
  • AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I think a lot of people only remember the good things vanilla Wow offered but completely forgot the bad. Some examples are the limited pet pool offered to hunters, rogues having to craft their own poisons, dungeons and raids where you spend more time clearing trash than fighting bosses, having to farm crazy resist gear to kill certain bosses (Huhu, I'm looking at you) and let's not forget the nightmare that is BRD. those are just a few that come to mind.

I'm not trying to hate on the idea of a vanilla WoW server. Some people may love the idea of what I personally think are poor game mechanics/game design but after playing on the Everquest progression servers I know atleast for me the idea of a legacy server sounds a lot better than it actually is.

well that's my two cents. I apologize if I come off as trollie or trying to flame, I'm just stating my personal opinion. 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited May 2016
    Considering SOE (now Daybreak) has had success with EQ and EQ2 classic and progression servers, there is definitely a precedent; so saying they don't work isn't entirely accurate even if everything SOE has done is small potatoes in comparison. With a title like WoW that format would only be more profitable.

Business as usual is not going to work anymore. If WoW is to avoid fading away into obscurity, they need to find a way to capitalize on what made the game popular. Whether that is vanilla servers or something else, they need to shift back the paradigm to what worked.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Aalamr said:
    I think a lot of people only remember the good things vanilla Wow offered but completely forgot the bad. Some examples are the limited pet pool offered to hunters, rogues having to craft their own poisons, dungeons and raids where you spend more time clearing trash than fighting bosses, having to farm crazy resist gear to kill certain bosses (Huhu, I'm looking at you) and let's not forget the nightmare that is BRD. those are just a few that come to mind.

I'm not trying to hate on the idea of a vanilla WoW server. Some people may love the idea of what I personally think are poor game mechanics/game design but after playing on the Everquest progression servers I know atleast for me the idea of a legacy server sounds a lot better than it actually is.

well that's my two cents. I apologize if I come off as trollie or trying to flame, I'm just stating my personal opinion. 
    some people like those things though. i miss the days before there was flying mounts and queing for dungeons and pvp because it destroyed open pvp.

wow's open pvp was at it's absolute pinnacle in vanilla wow. i can't play wow as it is now so for me there is no other option.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    baphamet said:
    Aalamr said:

some people like those things though. i miss the days before there was flying mounts and queing for dungeons and pvp because it destroyed open pvp.

wow's open pvp was at it's absolute pinnacle in vanilla wow. i can't play wow as it is now so for me there is no other option.
    I was going to say the same, most of those negatives were what I enjoyed about Vanilla WOW and I don't recall their being limited pets for Hunters.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I also loved open world pvp. Tauren Mill raids were a blast.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Vanilla WoW all the way........Been playing them for years.  I just started a Priest on a new server and having a lot of fun.

By the way its Packed......this new crap sucks !!!!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I dunno, just taking old content and repacking it at max level have been done before and it never been that popular either.

Since there have been several pretty popular illegal vanilla servers I assume Blizz could put one up for a rather limited cost and it wouldn't really hurt any players who play on regular servers.

The thing is that when MMOs get a certain number of expansions they do loose some of their charm, happened to EQ and happened to Wow. They increase the leveling speed so much that anything below the latest expansion pack is just stuff you skip by with little investment of time or effort.

What Wow should do instead of just repacking the old content at max level is to cut down the number of levels too half, rebalance the old content and portion out the new. Then you cut leveling speed (since you have fewer levels you can cut it at least by half). When you have fewer levels and gain them slower suddenly there is actually an advanatge of getting good gear below max level again and run lower level dungeons.

You could also move up or down old content in level to what seems fitting, moving up some older raids to max level again while put other zones lower as you see fit.

Older MMOs tend to just have life in the last 10 levels and when you have 100+ levels that is just sad. So many levels also split up the playerbase far too much. And cuttung the levels in half is easy to manage, old toons will suddenly be half their level.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited May 2016
    I think to rework WOW it's waste of time and money .
    but
    I would gladly play WOW.2

but this is my personal  point of view

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    With as large a playerbase has wow has had over the years, classic servers would not only work, they would be profitable. Like most avid vanilla fans admit, its only a small portion of us...but even a small portion of retail wow fans is a rather large group in comparison to any other mmo...ever.

Personally, I'm sick of chasing updates on retail. I would trade all those updates for a completely static world, unchanging, BUT filled with people who actually wanted to play together and challenge each other. 
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    I would rather they make WoW 2.0, really.
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    edited June 2016
    ill be honest  i didnt read all of your post...

Your talking like having classic servers ASWELL as the current servers would somehow  stop you from enjoying what you think of as the better "wow"

People can play both simple as that if you dont like it then play live....

for me personally live is garbage and there is no way in hell they can change that, they have changed the game too much to the point its not the same anymore and to make it better atleast for me would require removal of alot of the retail games features.....its just not gonna happen it will be 100x easier to just release a classic server.

ive not even bought legion the first expac i didn't buy asap, i played wow since vanilla every day for the whole of my twenties 19-32yo i was hooked on it like a crack head is to well erm crack but thankfully the incredibly boring and lackluster expansions have made it so easy for me to quit ... if im going to go back to wow its going to be from vanilla   its been so long it will seem fresh to me

i thoroughly enjoyed playing on NOS with my friends from vanilla for months until they shut it down
    we are just sitting patiently for the news from blizzard good or bad.

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399

The strength of WoW is that it has allways been moving forward every expansion pack adding just enough content to make the game feel semi fresh... untill now, they did just great with that, as the game is still very much alive after more then a decade.

Thats THE strength of WoW to you? I mean it may be a strength but its never really been the shining beacon of WoW greatness. Regardless your assumption that classic servers fail doesnt have much to stand on. Previous examples have had varying degrees of success and none of those games were as popular and widely played as Warcraft. That game had over 12 million active subs by WotLK no to mention the millions of others who probably quit before and after.

It'd be nice if they reworked WoW to play more like classic... at least in the sense that it doesnt hold your hand every step of the way. However thats a much larger project with bigger, NGE-style, risk. Too big and ambitious a change which they will likely screw up somehow. What some players like Alamr seem to forget since its all been passively taken away bit by bit (expansion by expansion) is those "bad" things arent really bad at all. They were different aspects of the game which not only added to the content, they also gave it character.

Take those away (like we have now) and youre left with a hub-to-hub streamlined repetitive game with little to no depth what-so-ever. Instead of going out and finding the herbs needed for that new poison you just learned, you just click a button. Instead of coordinating CC's, watching for adds, and working with the group to get through content, you just zone in, zerg entire rooms down with AoE's, and clear entire dungeons in 15 minutes without a single word. That is ... other than the shitstorm youre likely to get if you mess up or otherwise delay the run by more than 10 seconds.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    I would rather they make WoW 2.0, really.
    Wow 2 will be irrelevant to me if it happens. I'll be in CoE.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    wow 2 would be faceroll casual snoozefest like retail wow is now, id rather just play vanilla again atleast i know that i like it , besides wow 2 wont be for a decade or more if at all, vanilla or nothing for me