Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Is the Warcraft Movie Getting a Bad Rap? - Garrett Fuller at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageWhy Is the Warcraft Movie Getting a Bad Rap? - Garrett Fuller at MMORPG.com

Big budgets and summer blockbusters are the popcorn and large coke of Hollywood and they cost millions. Every studio swings for the fences and expects massive numbers to hit with every summer film. Some do shockingly well, Guardians of the Galaxy, others do horrifically bad, the latest Fantastic Four. Now, before it has even been released to the public, the Warcraft film is dying quickly on the vine.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242
    I saw it yesterday. I went in with low, to no, expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't the "deepest" nor the greatest fantasy movie of all time, but it wasn't as bad as I've been lead to believe it was going to be. There were a lot of cons and pros, (as like I didn't really care for any of the actors that played the humans, but the CGI was nothing but amazing). Altogether, I enjoyed to movie. It felt really good to see familiar places on the big screen, and I really hope they learn from their mistakes, on this one, and keep making Warcraft movies. It's just too much amazing lore, (by my opinion), to dig into, to just give up, after the first movie.
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211

Zierrity said:

I saw it yesterday. I went in with low, to no, expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't the "deepest" nor the greatest fantasy movie of all time, but it wasn't as bad as I've been lead to believe it was going to be. There were a lot of cons and pros, (as like I didn't really care for any of the actors that played the humans, but the CGI was nothing but amazing). Altogether, I enjoyed to movie. It felt really good to see familiar places on the big screen, and I really hope they learn from their mistakes, on this one, and keep making Warcraft movies. It's just too much amazing lore, (by my opinion), to dig into, to just give up, after the first movie.

That's the thing, you went in with low or no expectations and were still prepared to take a chance. Most people, if they think something is going to possibly be cr4p, will wait until it comes out online/dvd/satellite and same a few pounds/dollars in the process.

As I fell out of love with WoW because Blizzard doesn't update the game but wants a sub, then I wouldn't pay top price to see the film at the cinema, even if it looked like it was going to be great.
  • ryanmahafferyanmahaffe Member UncommonPosts: 83
    edited May 2016

Kane72 said:

Zierrity said:

That's the thing, you went in with low or no expectations and were still prepared to take a chance. Most people, if they think something is going to possibly be cr4p, will wait until it comes out online/dvd/satellite and same a few pounds/dollars in the process.

As I fell out of love with WoW because Blizzard doesn't update the game but wants a sub, then I wouldn't pay top price to see the film at the cinema, even if it looked like it was going to be great.

Really? "Blizzard stopped trying so I am not going to see this movie they didn't make"
    That's just immature, missing out on what could be a good movie because YOU don't like the game anymore and blame it all on the devs.

@ post: US critics dislike it, European critics think it's good, and audiences have been praising it.
  • ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242
    edited May 2016

Kane72 said:

Zierrity said:

Hopefully, more people are prepared to take a chance on this movie. Fortunately it did better than many feared at the international box office this weekend, earning around $16m throughout Friday. (don't know how it did the rest of the weekend).

The reason I want this movie to do well, isn't really because of it's IP or lore, but because I want to see more video game stories, being told in movies, in the future. And hopefully, this could be a turning point for it to happen.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I very much dislike what WoW has become, and haven't played in years nor will I. Yet, I'm super excited for the movie.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • qoonaqoona Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited May 2016
    Wrong post:P

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I don't think that is the real problem here. Some movies have been about stuff not human, Shrek did fine for example.

The movie should have come out in 2006, not 2016. Warcraft was known far beyong gaming circles back then, now most regular kids and teenagers hardly know what it is.

Secondly, they should have put more humor and less grit into it. Just because grit works in Westeros doesn't mean it is great in a Warcraft movie. There have always been some grit in Warcraft but the humor have been far more important and it would also make the movie more accessable for none gamers.

Books have always been far easier to make into movies than games, they have a specific story and the entire world is made to make that story as good as possible. A game like Wow need to have many less important stories in it instead of one huge and that makes it far harder. The D&D movie didn't do very well either.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited May 2016
    Loke666 said:
    The D&D movie didn't do very well either.
    Yeah but the D&D movie, pound for pound, was a very B movie in comparison.

Still, it's a fun movie as long as one takes it for what it is and not for what one wants it to be.

It's the stuff of Sunday afternoons in front of the TV. All the D&D movies are. One also has to be a bit forgiving of the special effects. Growing up in the 70's most B monster/fantasy movies had pretty awful special effects with the exception of the Harryhausen movies.

I think the World of Warcraft movie will be a fine movie for those who aren't so closely invested with what type of movie it "has to be". 

I'll definitely see and and more than likely be entertained. Whether I own it or not is an entirely different affair.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • chillizchilliz Member UncommonPosts: 96
    edited May 2016
    I watched it last night, and thought it was a really good movie. I really dont understand all the hate by these so called movie critics. If you look at actual audience response and reviews of the movie they seem to be very positive, even by looking at comments on twitter etc, you can tell the actual audience that went to see it rather liked the movie. So I really Dont understand where all this hate for the movie comes from. It already did $30+ million in a limited openings in international markets with some other big international markets opening today, and later on USA, China etc etc, so how anyone can say this film has bombed .

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Warcraft-Doing-Better-Than-Expected-Overseas-Get-Details-134057.html      

Duncan jones did a pretey decent job, its not a Shakespearean masterpiece or anything, its a good solid popcorn fantasy movie.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2016
    There is a difference between "bad reviews" and "soft numbers".

Bad reviews are an opinion. They will influence the box office gross for sure but there is more to it.

The soft numbers are driven by the competition.

Consider the holiday weekend in the US say - the story is the same outside the US but the readily available US numbers paint the picture. Headline 1: revenue is up on last year. Headline 2: X-Men Apocalypse and Alice had "soft numbers"; despite good reviews for X-Men, Alice's were much less good. Here is the picture (boxofficemojo):

THREE-DAY WEEKEND FORECAST (US)

X-Men: Apocalypse (4,148 theaters) - $67.41 M
    Alice Through the Looking Glass (3,763 theaters) - $40.26 M
    The Angry Birds Movie (3,932 theaters) - $21.37 M
    Captain America: Civil War (3,395 theaters) - $17.79 M
    Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising (3,416 theaters) - $11.77 M
    The Jungle Book (2,523 theaters) - $7.33 M
    The Nice Guys (2,865 theaters) - $6.39 M
    Money Monster (2,315 theaters) - $3.44 M
    Love & Friendship (493 theaters) - $2.61 M
    Zootopia (572 theaters) - $1.18 M

Things to note: Zootopia (first blockbuster of 2016) - in its 14th week - took $1M; The Jungle Book - 8th week - $7M; Capt America - 5th week - $18M; Angry Birds - 2nd week - $21M. Add in the other recent releases - trying hard to make headway - and that is nearly $72M that didn't go to X-Men or Alice.

Warcraft - outside the US - is facing the same type of headway. Up against X-Men, Alice, The Jungle Book etc. etc. (And Asterix in France!)

And when Warcraft releases in the US it will be up against two other new wide releases in Conjuring 2 and Now You See Me 2 AND: Ninja Turtles week 2; X-Men and Alice week 3. And others e.g. The Jungle Book week 10 - which will still be taking money as evidenced by Zootopia.

So - even if - Warcraft opens at number 1 in the US (uncertain) revenue will be "soft". And in subsequent weeks it will stay soft. With Finding Dorey (and other films) launching the week after. Then Independence Day (and others). And so on.

The bad reviews won't help but even with brilliant reviews it would be a struggle. And theatres can only show so many films.

Remember the reports that Universal wanted a different release date? We know why Blizzard wanted it "now" but its pretty clear why Universal would be pushing for "some other time".
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211

Kane72 said:

Zierrity said:

Really? "Blizzard stopped trying so I am not going to see this movie they didn't make"

That's just immature, missing out on what could be a good movie because YOU don't like the game anymore and blame it all on the devs.

@ post: US critics dislike it, European critics think it's good, and audiences have been praising it.

Sorry that my personal preference and decision hit a raw nerve with you. I'll take more care next time.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I guess the movie needs more nazi zombies.
    Every movie is better with nazi zombies.

• tenfootgoatman123tenfootgoatman123 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I only know one person that has seen it so far ( which is odd because I know loads of gamers online ) and they said it was OK for movie based on a game . It essentially offers what the game does lightweight fantasy without much depth to it ( that is not knocking WoW its just what Warcraft is lightweight humorous fantasy) .

It sounds like it could be a movie aimed at younger viewers but whether it has that universal appeal beyond that its hard to tell ( I love the Shrek movies and I am in my 50's so kids movies can sometimes appeal to adults ) .

I don't think its opening box office weekend outside of America has been a particular disaster its actually been in line with what I expected because I thought there would be a lot of WoW fans going to see it . How it does in the next few weeks is another matter .

I like Duncan Jones as a director so for his sake I hope it does well and also I hope one of the last movies Bowie saw ( apparently he had a private screening ) wasn't a total turkey .
  • tenfootgoatman123tenfootgoatman123 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    edited May 2016

Volgore said:

I guess the movie needs more nazi zombies.
    Every movie is better with nazi zombies.

Well the game has undead maybe they have some of those in the movie ? If they don't /facepalm at the producers everyone knows you need undead zombies in a fantasy movie . Its the law . :P
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited May 2016
    Kane72 said:

Sorry that my personal preference and decision hit a raw nerve with you. I'll take more care next time.
    [mod edit]

As to the movie, anyone who listens to film critics is missing out on the best movies.  As long as the Warcraft movie entertains it will be enjoyable.   Watching a movie like this in a theater is light years difference than watching it from a dvd.
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Avengers does better than x-men because Avengers is fun and keeps you laughing. X-men tries to be too serious and fails.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    As soon as Blizzard said they were going to make Warcraft movie i told myself that just like hundreds game->movie conversion before them, they are going to; forgive me for using this word; rape the lore, massacre established lore characters and put more nonsense just for the sake of "theatricality". And they did not fail my "expectations"....

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "Hey guys, I found an incredible story with rich, layered lore... wanna ruin it?" -Hollywood
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    any naked orcs?
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188

Ozmodan said:

Kane72 said:

As long as the Warcraft movie entertains it will be enjoyable.

Well there's a real jewel if wisdom. If somethings "entertaining," it will be "enjoyable."

Brilliant Deduction. I wonder, if a movie that is enjoyable could somehow be... entertaining? It's almost like they go hand in hand?

P.S. I'm also a klutz who doesn't know how to clean up the posts. Sorry. Have fun.
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    If you go read review on Metacritic all the review are mixed or bad, even the mixed seem bad, but if you read all the (user review on IMDB) most of them are good review and seem to have liked the movie,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255

Avengers does better than x-men because Avengers is fun and keeps you laughing. X-men tries to be too serious and fails.

First off, if you find the lame jokes funny, well good for you. I find myself wondering why I spent money when I could have been sitting at home picking my teeth (a more stimulating experience).

Second, you obviously aren't familiar with the X Men story from the original comic books. It was art used to highlight serious issues in an interesting and engaging medium. The movies actually were much closer to the avengers movie than the comics.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

But wait, Games of Thrones is massive with tons of viewers, how come it has mass appeal? I would say that Game of Thrones has been given the right platform by HBO. It is a series that follows very real human emotions and events. Are their dragons and ice wraiths, sure, but they are undercurrents in a much more human story. That is what appeals to the masses.

Because much of the "best" literature is not about shallow things but instead they tend to focus on relationships, ethical issues, decisions and consequences. Whether or not the world in which those "subjects" take place is a fantasy world or a realistic world is just a small matter of taste.

Like you point out, both Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead would have seen as good even if they removed all non-realistic aspects.

On the other hand, in Harry Potter, a massive part is the actual setting, i.e. the non-realistic part. Children are very much attracted to the non-realism in Harry Potter and without it they wouldn't like it as much. Harry Potter is not a "good" creation, even though it is popular. Both The Walking dead and Game of Thrones are far closer to winning a "Nobel Prize" on their merits than Harry Potter is.

The "masses" who watch Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead due to the non-superficial aspects, are in this context those who know best. I very much doubt though they are the same "masses" that also go and watch shallow Michael Bay movies.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Rhoklaw said:
    I am going to go watch the movie and then, I'm going to watch it again, just to spite the critics. Not because I still play WoW or anything, but just because I'm a gamer.
    I don't even play WoW but I will go see it. Reviews don't really reflect my taste. I have in the past enjoyed many bad reviewed movies and I watch them over and over again.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Have to disagree with some of the "critics" of the movie. I decided to look up some journalist reviews and I was uncertain if they were supposed to be parody. The Guardian's review says: "The prospect of a predominantly white, European realm being invaded by foreign, primitive, darker skinned hordes (they are actually called the Horde) might set alarm bells ringing in our current climate of immigration anxiety. Is this a veiled Ukip broadcast? Or a pro-Trump one?" What the heck did they take before writing that one? The Warcraft movie is supposed to be propaganda? The story existed a decade and a half ago, there's no way that the politics of today has any relevancy whatsoever.

Sometimes you just have to go with a gut feeling and decide things for yourself because well uh.... The world is just stupid and unpredictable.