Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You think the WOW movie will be successful?

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Well, what do you know, I saw it - and it was quite good.

Not exactly fantastic - but quite good, and a pleasant surprise. I think it will do good business - especially on bluray/DVD.

I was wrong about the movie, what can I say.
    DKLond said:
    Well, what do you know, I saw it - and it was quite good.

Not exactly fantastic - but quite good, and a pleasant surprise. I think it will do good business - especially on bluray/DVD.

I was wrong about the movie, what can I say.
    A real life friend saw it this week end, and said that the scenario was average and could certainly be confusing for a non-warcraft lore aware person, but the visuals are absolutely breathtaking. He told me it's definitely worth seeing on the big screen though.

I'll go sometimes this week.
    I highly recommend the 3D version. I don't care for 3D, usually, but this is pretty much the only 3D movie I've seen that justifies the added cost.

It's definitely a big-screen movie, if ever there was one.
  • CalkrowCalkrow Member UncommonPosts: 92
    edited May 2016
    DKLond said:
    I highly recommend the 3D version. I don't care for 3D, usually, but this is pretty much the only 3D movie I've seen that justifies the added cost.

It's definitely a big-screen movie, if ever there was one.
    I saw it last night and really enjoyed the movie, for what it was.  I'd also agre that it was good in 3D on the big screen.
    Forum Post count does not = Game Intelligence or Knowledge  it just shows how often people like to talk.
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    edited May 2016
    I think it will break even and not be well received critically.  I don't plan on seeing it in the theaters, at least based on what I've seen of it.
    I agree with this, it'll probably make it's money back but the critics will shit on it and I'm sure they will be right. That being said, I'm seeing it.
  • Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
    edited May 2016
    It look like a huge CGI clusterfuck- but then I'm probably not its target audience. 

Having said that, I did like Moon. 
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited May 2016
    If it does well you will see Blizzard step up their movie making ambitions, Overatch, Starcraft and many others are all viable movies that could be made.

I just hope mmo players don't fall into the tribal mindset where they think liking anything wow related is disloyal to their mmo title.  You see this way too much.

If this movie tanks they will just go back to what they do best and call it a wash, which is sad because I'd love to see what they can do with an Overwatch movie.
    I forgot to mention, you don't have my option available: -

• I think it will be moderately successful at the box office, i.e. it will turn a small profit or break-even, 
    • I think it will be marginally above average-to-good with audiences (let's be honest the audiences for this sort of thing have few critical faculties, they lap up shit like Batman V Superman). 
    • I am not sure about the critics; I think there is a general positive feeling towards Duncan Jones, but I am not sure if that can save a huge messy, CGI, mindless, plotless, crap-fest from a critical mauling. It will probably come out middling. 
    But then again, maybe Duncan Jones will elevate the film above its thin material (no the WOW lore is not a good starting point for a movie), and create something watchable. And if he does, the hordes of idiots who like Transformers and Batman V Superman probably won't watch it cause it won't have enough computer generated explosions for them.  

• king_reuxking_reux Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited May 2016
    It's not a WoW (in reference to the mmo) movie though. It's specifically in reference to the Warcraft timeline.

• I think it will be moderately successful at the box office, i.e. it will turn a small profit or break-even, 
    • I think it will be marginally above average-to-good with audiences (let's be honest the audiences for this sort of thing have few critical faculties, they lap up shit like Batman V Superman). 
    • I am not sure about the critics; I think there is a general positive feeling towards Duncan Jones, but I am not sure if that can save a huge messy, CGI, mindless, plotless, crap-fest from a critical mauling. It will probably come out middling. 
    But then again, maybe Duncan Jones will elevate the film above its thin material (no the WOW lore is not a good starting point for a movie), and create something watchable. And if he does, the hordes of idiots who like Transformers and Batman V Superman probably won't watch it cause it won't have enough computer generated explosions for them.  

You haven't seen the movie, correct?
    DKLond said:

You haven't seen the movie, correct?
    Correct, pure speculation. 
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    When we say WoW, expectations jump though the roof. I just don't think the movie will live up to the hype. That comes from someone part of the group of gamers who aren't movie goers. I will watch this one, because I like Warcraft, but generally I don't watch tv or movies. I won't be surprised to see it flop, surpass expectations, or just be average though. I really have no guage for movies.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited May 2016
    I'm one of the "lucky" ones that has already seen the movie, and honestly it didn't justify the ticket price (6.50€ here). I would have rather torrented it. At least I'll know what to do if sequel ever comes. The reception at my cinema was also very poor, nearly nobody was impressed by it, even though Warcraft brought the most people.

I mean the movie really isn't that bad, I've seen worse, however it's still very disappointing. I'd rate it at about 4.5/10, and that's coming from a Warcraft Lore fan. As for the "non-gamers" or people who don't know anything about Warcraft, this movie is pure garbage. 

Mix between CGI and Action is very painfull. In some cases CGI is beautiful, in others it looks like it couldn't be worse. For example high elves look like barbie dolls, 95% of the orcs are copy-pasted and generic etc. Overall half of the time it feels like a cartoon, and the other half it looks like a very very cheap ripoff of GoT and Lotr.

But the biggest letdown is probably the story and the pacing. It's just so easily forgetable. I've watched it in Thursday and I literally forgot nearly everything. I know that Blizzard's storytelling is terrible, but come on surely movie could have gotten a better one.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    edited May 2016
    I honestly don't know what to think. There is a lot of Blizzard fans who are going to see it. I know a lot of people who have never played Warcraft and are not gamers at all who are going to see it because it looks "cool".

However, to be financially successful this movie needs to rake in a lot of money. Probably needs about $500m to break even. It has a massive budget.

When I looked at the trailer, it looked incredible. At no point did it look cheap. Visually I am sure it will be amazing but the question is whether the story will hold up. But then again there are so many Blizzard fans that even if they are the only ones who see it, it may do well.

If there is a game that can lead to a successful movie, it's Warcraft. There is not a single other game universe I can think of that has the pull of Warcraft.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

DMKano said:
    With more reviews the score has declined further on rotten tomatoes - it's down to 20%.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/warcraft/#contentReviews
    Should mention that the average rating is nearer 4/10, but Rotten Tomatoes measures the percentage of people who rate it negatively i.e. 20% = only 2/10 critiques rated it positively.

This is important because a film that gets 6 people rating it at 48% and 4 rating it at 99%, and a film that gets 6 people rating it at 1% and 4 people rating it at 51% both get a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 40%.   

• aeoleonaeoleon Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I won't go along with the critics. I will go and see it tonight here in the UK, and even though I did read a few of the non spoiler critiques, I will spend my money to support the movie because it needs to be given a chance to work. 

I have played WoW on and off for 9 years and always thought that a movie should be done about it, but the lore is so complex that I know that movie must be condensed a bit to cater for non-WoW players. 

I think this girl hits the mark when reviewing (non-spoilery), the movie.
    https://youtu.be/i1Y1QKd5KT8

I guess that only yourself can judge the movie after watching it (but take my comment with a grain of salt, as I loved to watch movies like Super Man vs Batman, Jurassic Park, jebus, I even loved Jupiter Ascending), but I go and watch these movies to be entertained and pass the time not thinking about real life, in my book, if a movie makes me forget about the outside world for 2hrs, then it's a good movie. :3

01110110 01101001 01100011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01110101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101111 00100001

• aeoleonaeoleon Member UncommonPosts: 75
    edited May 2016
    DMKano said:
    aeoleon said:
    I won't go along with the critics. I will go and see it tonight here in the UK, and even though I did read a few of the non spoiler critiques, I will spend my money to support the movie because it needs to be given a chance to work. 

I have played WoW on and off for 9 years and always thought that a movie should be done about it, but the lore is so complex that I know that movie must be condensed a bit to cater for non-WoW players. 

I guess that only yourself can judge the movie after watching it (but take my comment with a grain of salt, as I loved to watch movies like Super Man vs Batman, Jurassic Park, jebus, I even loved Jupiter Ascending), but I go and watch these movies to be entertained and pass the time not thinking about real life, in my book, if a movie makes me forget about the outside world for 2hrs, then it's a good movie. :3

I think it's important to point out that the movie is Warcraft, based on Orcs vs Humans Warcraft story. 

It is NOT based on World of Warcraft MMORPG. 

I wonder how many WoW players know this. 

I understand this. I think the expectations for the movie are through the roof and everyone is jumping the gun when reviewing the trailer :expressionless: without watching the movie. 

In my point of view, it will be a movie about war and an introduction to the world that is Warcraft (not WoW the Game movie). 

I am excited to go and watch it and I am sure I will have fun as I like fantasy movies (even my partner who is not a gamer and knows nothing about Warcraft is excited to go and watch it. It's going to be nice to know the perspective of a non-gamer like him). 

01110110 01101001 01100011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01110101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101111 00100001

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I think the first option on the poll is going to be closest.  Although the population of gamers has increased we are still a niche community.  Doesn't look like any non gamers are going to like this movie at all.  And it looks like only a portion of gamers are going to like the movie.  Right now it does look like this movie is going to flop hard.  We will definately have a solid answer by the end of next month.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited May 2016
    well the trailer looked pretty much garbage, so what do you expect?

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    filmoret said:
    This topic does have me curious on how many people will watch this movie.  With the Lord of Rings popularity it makes me wonder if this movie will be a huge hit or how it will turn out.  What do you think will happen?
    It's Warcraft.  So it will have a ton of box office sales.  Plus, Ragnar from the Vikings is in it, so almost anyone who watches that show will likely be interested.  I don't think it will break any records, but I think Blizzard will certainly make it's money.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    @exile01 better erase that before the moderators get you that is grounds for punishment  cant advertise torrents here.

DMKano said:
    aeoleon said:
    DMKano said:
    aeoleon said:

I think it's important to point out that the movie is Warcraft, based on Orcs vs Humans Warcraft story. 

It is NOT based on World of Warcraft MMORPG. 

I wonder how many WoW players know this. 

I understand this. I think the expectations for the movie are through the roof and everyone is jumping the gun when reviewing the trailer :expressionless: without watching the movie. 

In my point of view, it will be a movie about war and an introduction to the world that is Warcraft (not WoW the Game movie). 

I am excited to go and watch it and I am sure I will have fun as I like fantasy movies (even my partner who is not a gamer and knows nothing about Warcraft is excited to go and watch it. It's going to be nice to know the perspective of a non-gamer like him). 

I think you have the right perspective to get the most enjoyment out of the movie.

But even looking at this thread title "WoW movie" - I get a feeling that many don't realize it's not a WoW movie at all which will lead to further disappointment. 

I don't think it matters that much.  WOW fans will realize the movie if based on the mmo will be in one of the time periods or its own separate story.  Because WOW was the sequel to Warcraft 3 it will share the same world.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    According to the media the movie is breaking records in my country. If you ask the people, nobody liked it.

I'm going to see it today, but only because i got a ticket for 6.50. No way i would pay 12+ for this.
    At my place, it's almost shown in 3D everywhere. Only a very small local theater has it in 2D.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited May 2016
    Who cares what other thinks....I liked it and I give 0 interest of some neckbeard opinion

I'm so seek of this hipster culture of critiques of people who never ever made never ever created but they have opinion on every thing and they they are the one know knows it better ....
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Volgore said:
    According to the media the movie is breaking records in my country. If you ask the people, nobody liked it.

I'm going to see it today, but only because i got a ticket for 6.50. No way i would pay 12+ for this.
    At my place, it's almost shown in 3D everywhere. Only a very small local theater has it in 2D.
    I don't understand that either. According to the media, Warcraft broke records in my country as well, yet on it's first day it was played at 17:30 (less than 1/5 of seats used), 18:30 (less than 1/5 of seats used), and at 20:00 (2/3 of seats used).

That was very poor showing for the 1st day, yet it's somehow breaking records? Besides now it's mostly empty already, nobody is watching Warcraft anymore in the cinemas here.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    No!

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited May 2016
    josko9 said:
    Volgore said:

I don't understand that either. According to the media, Warcraft broke records in my country as well, yet on it's first day it was played at 17:30 (less than 1/5 of seats used), 18:30 (less than 1/5 of seats used), and at 20:00 (2/3 of seats used).

That was very poor showing for the 1st day, yet it's somehow breaking records? Besides now it's mostly empty already, nobody is watching Warcraft anymore in the cinemas here.
    I called the theater to preorder another ticket. When i said for Warcraft, the guy on the hotline told me to just come along and i could chose nearly any seat, no reservation needed.

I guess i better watch it with the mindset that this is just another fantasy movie and don't expect Blizzard/Warcraft quality here.