Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This could have been good, but alas

DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
Well, I bought into this a couple of years ago - thinking it had potential. UO was my "first love" when it comes to MMOs - and I've always wanted a proper evolution over that game.

Build after build, I've tried keeping an open mind - telling myself it's still early days, but there's no longer a way to be realistic and believe that.

This game is terrible, and that's all there is to it.

It's ugly, clunky, empty, boring and buggy.

There's absolutely no way it's going to be ready for consumption at release, at least not the way I see it.

You have been warned.

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited May 2016
    I'm actually going to edit my comments.  I was being too harsh after watching the video.

Nostalgia isn't so great though.

edit: Here's a video from around 4 days ago for those interested.  
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    you are right for current status of game  but this is not close for release yet,it is pre-alpha or in my opinion promo tech demo ,in few years or decades when   Lord British done it ,SotA have to be great game ,I think
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I gave up hope a long time ago, just wrote this one off as another bad kickstarter donation
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

As it stands now this is the strangest mmo ever invented.  Sure it's alpha, but it's not helping their credibility to be playing around with stupid ideas in front of us, yet asking big $$ for the kick starter.

- Trying to do away with quest markers, they decided to make you randomly open chat boxes on npc's, this is only irritating.

- The game is heavily instanced.  I hate that, however for everyone that don't mind that, the graphics don't justify instanced.

- The combat sucks.  So far all around the internet, people are complaining.

- Houses cost $500.

- The only thing catering to old school is old bad graphics and animations.

Better than I can explain, here is an average review of the game found on the internet.

Like most all alpha testers, their basically saying the game sucks !!

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Looks like Neverwinter Nights 2. Which came out in 2006 and even in that time was bashed for bad graphic and stiff animations.

What happened to Garriot 

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited May 2016
    Looks like Neverwinter Nights 2. Which came out in 2006 and even in that time was bashed for bad graphic and stiff animations.

What happened to Garriot 
    What happened?  Nostalgic developers, such as him, never updated their design documents and workflow to modern times.  Either that, or they designed it intentionally this way.

Nostalgia can be good at times, but that doesn't mean devs should throw out modern designs and concepts which make the genre more convenient and actually enjoyable.  Look at the Chat and UI for example.  Terribly designed.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    SotA is being done on a shoestring budget.  Very small dev team, in comparison to the usual.  Corners have to get cut and hard decisions made.  

I just wish they had stayed with the original otherwrldly steapunk vision.  But backers and investors wanted retread UO.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    SotA is being done on a shoestring budget.  Very small dev team, in comparison to the usual.  Corners have to get cut and hard decisions made.  

I just wish they had stayed with the original otherwrldly steapunk vision.  But backers and investors wanted retread UO.
    It doesn't really matter why it sucks, does it?
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    all those big names who beg money via Kickstarter taking donations for making game   for yourself & few close friends in virtual universe ,they making fun for self in gameplay what they liked 
  • jtripperjtripper Member UncommonPosts: 115
    You can call it pre-alpha all you want (for 3 years running...) but the fact is plain and simple:  after all this time, the game in its current state is still a big pile of shit.  There's no way they can polish this in time for their release at the end of the year.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

"It doesn't really matter why it sucks, does it?"  (Quotes not working)

For every thing in existence there is a group for whom it sucks.  While this is a thread leaning that way, there are reasons  why things get done, and yes, they do matter.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

"It doesn't really matter why it sucks, does it?"  (Quotes not working)

For every thing in existence there is a group for whom it sucks.  While this is a thread leaning that way, there are reasons  why things get done, and yes, they do matter.

So, when you go to a restaurant and you pay for a good meal - and you get a crappy meal - you're going to care what excuse they come up with?

Listen, if the dev team is small and they can't deliver a quality game - then maybe they shouldn't be charging full price for it.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

What happened to Garriot 
    The funny part is I can still load that game up and have a bunch of fun with it (NWN2). STiff animations sure, but for a game as old the graphics don't look bad at all to me.

I don't think SOTA's graphics are all that bad, I just think they're rather generic looking. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:

What happened to Garriot 
    I don't think SOTA's graphics are all that bad, I just think they're rather generic looking. 
    You must have missed what combat looks like :)
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2016
    DKLond said:
    Distopia said:

What happened to Garriot 
    nah I know first hand, my wife bought this for me on Steam last year. I really don't like what I've played all that much, I honestly think combat is one of the lesser issues with the game (it's an RPG I almost alwasy expect bad combat in RPGs (unless they're CRPGs).. The bland atmosphere is it's biggest problem IMO.

Every time I load it up within 20 minutes I feel like going to sleep, literally.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    DKLond said:
    Distopia said:

What happened to Garriot 
    nah I know first hand, my wife bought this for me on Steam last year. I really don't like what I've played all that much, I honestly think combat is one of the lesser issues with the game (it's an RPG I almost alwasy expect bad combat in RPGs (unless they're CRPGs).. The bland atmosphere is it's biggest problem IMO.

Every time I load it up within 20 minutes I feel like going to sleep, literally.
    Maybe I'm being harsh, but I thought the enemies and especially ranged combat had some of the worst animations and sounds I've ever experienced in modern games.

As in, truly terrible stuff.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited July 2016
    Nostalgia of UO brought me to Sota too. I don't expect it to be exactly like UO. UO had a lot of replayability and fun gameplay that kept me entertained and having fun for years. Sadly, so far, Sota is like playing a free to play grind game atm, except I spent a lot of money on it, heh. Lots of grind and time sinks with little gameplay and fun. :( I really hope the next 6 months improves and the game becomes more enjoyable. 
    Post edited by Ice-Queen on

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    observer said:
    I'm actually going to edit my comments.  I was being too harsh after watching the video.

Nostalgia isn't so great though.

edit: Here's a video from around 4 days ago for those interested.  
    I have no idea who that guy streaming this was.  But he has to be the most boring streamer I've ever seen.  
  • HachlathHachlath Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited June 2016
    I have no problems with graphisms but I have pbs with gameplay and with this: "The game is heavily instanced.  I hate that, however for everyone that don't mind that, the graphics don't justify instanced."

NB: My 1st video game was ultima6
    SOTA looks live a cheap version of Ultima offline.
  • retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160
    What happened to Garriot 
    The guy that can fly himself to space doesn't want to pony up his own money to invest into his own video game.

I don't really know why anyone thought this wouldn't flop
  • CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I just don't understand... Why not use a decent gaming engine and remake UO that is like 25% more player friendly. It blows my mind that anyone is actually excited about this, in fact I find it extremely hard to believe. This game is just not good. If it was circa 2000 it may have been ok, but come on man.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Garriot wasn't really that involved in UO in the first place, if I recall correctly.  I played UO heavily and yet can't remember when he was actively involved in development besides the initial development, and even then the game and how it was received ended up completely different from what he expected.  He thought it was going to be some small thing where only a handful of players would get together but it ended up truly being a MASSIVE multiplayer online RPG ("massive" for its time at least), and a lot of systems that just didn't work with that many players (such as the living eco system, where the player base extinctified everything within a few days) ended up being cut.

Then he simply stopped being involved at all in its development.  He never visited the forums, never talked about UO in interviews, etc... I was under the impression that the game to him was just some random background fun fact rather than anything worth caring about.

As it is, Garriot thus just doesn't come across to me as someone with any MMORPG knowledge beyond what it took to program up UO's initial code, of which much of the awesome sandbox elements were practically more an accident than anything else.

The fact that he still thinks housing should be limited and in fact made it more limited than ever just shows how he never even bothered to even begin to try to learn anything.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I'm gonna have to agree with OP. This game feels very Vanguard'esque in terms of polish, with none of the potential. It's funny cuz Shards online has infinitely worse graphics but seems far more attractive than SotA. 
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    For anyone that thinks of trying this game I would check out Video game makers unite with Richard Garriott on YouTube at the 41 min mark and see how this game was started. 
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Rawyn said:
    For anyone that thinks of trying this game I would check out Video game makers unite with Richard Garriott on YouTube at the 41 min mark and see how this game was started. 
    Well I might if you had actually provided a link.