Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many Have not Backed the game with Kickstarter?

Comments

• DammamDammam Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Rasiem said:
      Then my answer to you guys is instead of bash the process let us invest in peace and bring the game to you so you can enjoy it also. I still dont see the point in bashing kickstarter, and those investing in games there when obviously it works and theres no risk to you.
    I just want to point out that you are not "investing". You are "giving". And what you are getting in exchange is not a product, but an idea or promise of a product. So we are now seeing a new market emerge along the video game market, and more developers are taking notice. There is a growing market for half-baked, early access, cash-shop driven games and that is unfortunate.

Will CoE be something different? I don't know. Am I "giving" them money because they have an interesting idea? No. Do you have the right to give them your money if you so choose? Of course. But you are not necessarily doing me any favors. The more free money you wave in front of would-be developers, the less incentive developers have to take on projects requiring them to deliver.

All of that, of course, is simply my opinion.
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    I backed CoE and then after thinking about it I cancelled my pledge.  CoE is very ambitious and may have a lot working for it but I just don't think it will be a game I would spend much time playing.

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Ratero said:
    I backed CoE and then after thinking about it I cancelled my pledge.  CoE is very ambitious and may have a lot working for it but I just don't think it will be a game I would spend much time playing.
    Have you played any survival games of late?
    How many hours have you put into those?

Just asking, because if you have played any survival games and put a reasonable amount of hours into them in any time-frame, just equate your play-time in those but set in COE's universe to see if you'd spend much time playing.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    @Fadepro you want to see the game engine?

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited May 2016
    Distopia said:
    Fadepro said:

I'm a Skeptic on Kickstarters without the proof of claims. A fully released game in 18 months? With this kind of budget? You have to be well within internal testing and full fledged gameplay.  I just want someone to show me something to change my mind so I can back this game.

This is one area I think they should be a bit more clear. Because it's hard to believe at all that this full product will be ready next year. It would be hard to believe even a "minimally viable product" will be ready at that point. Even if all goes to plan I don't think that will be the case. I'm thinking 2-3 years for a "MVP" is a lot more likely. They might have something "massively" playable at the end of next year, I don't think it will be polished nor perform well at that point, nor feature half of the promised features outlined in the KS. 
    And that is exactly the crux of my issue with them...

Remember the Early Entry for those that pony up the Kickstarter money is just 16 months away and they have promised no wipes from that point.  How do you start that phase without at least being close to a fully functional product?  There is a reason that companies wipe once they get their systems locked down, functional and balanced.  It's because what happened before that time could result in characters or inventories that are out of parity with the "launched" game...

So you think the exposition / headstart is another beta?

That's what I'm reading from your statement...

What also makes you think they won't build the inventory system a bit smarter than previous games have built WITH the ability to remove the bugged / duped items and situations on characters?

The exposition is a a time-limited exclusive access to those willing to put in the extra $$ to contribute in that time-frame. Like Tree of Savior recently... it had 1-month of exclusive access.

But given the land-claim / building time in COE, unless they tweaked values to speed up time etc. That's going to cause other issues I imagine with increased rates on resources/building/crafting/research. Keep those rates as they are and then give more time for the early backers and those willing to offer to pledge the $$ to SBS the earlier launch access.

----

Thus far they've announced, and are, keeping to their design goals with some iteration and changes on systems to make them more forgiving and flexible from what I understand.

It's not like they're promising a Free 2 Play game and then half-way through beta extend the beta by 6 months and can the F2P component making it B2P etc. etc.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    edited May 2016
    Distopia said:
    Fadepro said:

I'm a Skeptic on Kickstarters without the proof of claims. A fully released game in 18 months? With this kind of budget? You have to be well within internal testing and full fledged gameplay.  I just want someone to show me something to change my mind so I can back this game.

This is one area I think they should be a bit more clear. Because it's hard to believe at all that this full product will be ready next year. It would be hard to believe even a "minimally viable product" will be ready at that point. Even if all goes to plan I don't think that will be the case. I'm thinking 2-3 years for a "MVP" is a lot more likely. They might have something "massively" playable at the end of next year, I don't think it will be polished nor perform well at that point, nor feature half of the promised features outlined in the KS. 
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Some good points there, guess we will see, but for the mean time how about stop shoving this game in people's faces @OP.

Gotta admit this game sure is being pushed hard and that sends up all kinds of red flags for me personally.
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    edited May 2016
    It's hardly being pushed hard. Few outside of gaming circles even know it exists. People who are keen to see CoE succeed are posting in a forum dedicated to CoE. How is that pushing hard?

I don't understand the level of negativity purely for the sake of it that we get these days. If people don't like something, they are free to ignore it. It you're not interested in CoE, then simply stop visiting the CoE forum...problem solved.
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • ReVeaL7ReVeaL7 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Here's the reality that I was able to cross off about Chronicles of Elyria.  Now remember, this is a full opinion based on crossing off the evidence.  If anyone wish to debate the topic, I'm a Master Debater. I'm willing to debate anyone, because that's what I do is look for targets.  So here's my evidence on Chronicles of Elyria.  

Myself and a long MMORPG friend of mine whom we both played MMORPGs over 15yrs now. We're both PvP Raid Leaders.  We both talked about a game that was trying to release about 15years ago.  That game have incredible similarities to CoE basically practically seemingly like the same game. I was talking to him about CoE. While describing things Caspian is planning to implement into CoE. He kept referencing, oh it's like this game I was planning to jump in on launch 15yrs ago.  He then said, this game he was particular interested in, he was planning to play, but they never received enough funds to launch the game.  So, everytime I say something i think is unique to CoE. He then responds, and say, yes that's exactly like this game I was following 15yrs ago too. After crossing off more than 10 LIKE references, and many unique references.  
    (Such as permadeath, player family, survival, landed titles, player children, aging, disguises)  
    We both figured, that CoE is a good chance that it is the same game.

So we figured CoE is being developed possibly by one of these below:
    A) The same Developer or someone from that Team
    or
    B) or someone whom receive there ideas from the same team

Then to hit the icing on the cake. During one of the Q&A with Bicycle Walrus.  Jeremy Walsh stated that he was trying to launch a title,  guess when!?  He said, 15 years ago, which happens be the exact same date my friend's comparison game was expecting to launch.  He also stated that he has been working on this title pretty much since then. He stated the main engine for CoE is already done.

So by the preponderance of the evidence.  Of having so many similarities it is fair and logical to say, CoE possibly upgrade version of that game.  It is also possible that Jeremy Walsh possibly can launch a finish product in 16months due to the amount of time spent on this Title already.
    So no, I don't think this is a new title entirely. I just think this is a old title being revamped or rebirth to this modern day and time.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

I know a friend who knows someone that once tried to do something that was similar to something someone had once done. Funny thing is, someone else had done something similar that another of my friends tried and they said it was exactly the same thing. Don't get we wrong though, although everyone knew about it no one mentioned it, which is funny because other then the 2 friends that knew about it no one else did.

So guess who knew huh!

What game are you talking about? It might be the same one I am talking about!

Oh, and he has been working on it for 10 years not 15....

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    edited May 2016

As for making non-informative posts...I have posted plenty but if you refuse to accept it and then go further by saying they are non-informative then there is little I can do except not engage you in discussion as it would be pointless. Again, I have been down that road recently in another game forum and the early stages of 3 posted who got  banned is similar to the feel I get here. Please do not let it get to that. Stick to the facts, don't ignore the facts and everything will be fine.

Not sure why you keep comparing this to SC and talking about banned posters.  The ones who are getting banned in the CoE forum here seem to be the ones going over the line defending the game...  It's not just sticking to facts, it's staying focused on the game and not other posters.  Do THAT, and everything will be fine.

Maygus
    said:
    Distopia said:
    Fadepro said:

And that is exactly the crux of my issue with them...

Remember the Early Entry for those that pony up the Kickstarter money is just 16 months away and they have promised no wipes from that point.  How do you start that phase without at least being close to a fully functional product?  There is a reason that companies wipe once they get their systems locked down, functional and balanced.  It's because what happened before that time could result in characters or inventories that are out of parity with the "launched" game...

So you think the exposition / headstart is another beta?

That's what I'm reading from your statement...

What also makes you think they won't build the inventory system a bit smarter than previous games have built WITH the ability to remove the bugged / duped items and situations on characters?

The exposition is a a time-limited exclusive access to those willing to put in the extra $$ to contribute in that time-frame. Like Tree of Savior recently... it had 1-month of exclusive access.

But given the land-claim / building time in COE, unless they tweaked values to speed up time etc. That's going to cause other issues I imagine with increased rates on resources/building/crafting/research. Keep those rates as they are and then give more time for the early backers and those willing to offer to pledge the $$ to SBS the earlier launch access.

----

Thus far they've announced, and are, keeping to their design goals with some iteration and changes on systems to make them more forgiving and flexible from what I understand.

It's not like they're promising a Free 2 Play game and then half-way through beta extend the beta by 6 months and can the F2P component making it B2P etc. etc.
    If you read the message I was responding to, the poster stated that he was thinking it would take 2-3 years for a real MVP.  I said I agreed and that the timeline was my biggest concern.   If they really launch their 3 month  pay to play early head start (with no wipe) in just 16 months I think it will be in a vastly under-developed game where many significant systems will not be final.  If you want to call that beta or alpha... at this point it's just a name.  The point, as I stated is that:

There is a reason that companies wipe once they get their systems locked down, functional and balanced.  It's because what happened before that time could result in characters or inventories that are out of parity with the "launched" game...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

lol think I will stick to the official boards on this game.

This place is getting weird!

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    They don't have combat beyond rapiers yet.. talk about a lot of work to be done! I don't think its good to call so much attention to the game when so much is incomplete... they should have waited until they had more to show off in my opinion.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    That was a combat with rapiers? I thought it was lag... :-P
    Ok dear I think this is another thread that has gone widely off topic and needs shutting down

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    They don't have combat beyond rapiers yet.. talk about a lot of work to be done! I don't think its good to call so much attention to the game when so much is incomplete... they should have waited until they had more to show off in my opinion.
    And it looked pitiful to boot. 
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I have about a grand invested between Star Citizen, Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, Albion Online, The Repopulation, and a couple other small titles. That's enough.
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
    I have about a grand invested between Star Citizen, Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, Albion Online, The Repopulation, and a couple other small titles. That's enough.
    That's an impressive set of contributions. I can understand why you can't put into any more kickstarters. 
    Maybe if you find $35 you could get the preorder next month. But as I said with that amount "invested" I can undrstand your stance.

• MudfinMudfin Member UncommonPosts: 19
    When they give me a product to play, like Albion Online, I will be happy to invest.  Until then...umm, no!
    Mudfin said:
    When they give me a product to play, like Albion Online, I will be happy to invest.  Until then...umm, no!
    I invested in AO....if I get a game like that again then I will be disappointed again. I don't see that happening though but time will tell.
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    No I havent seen a game I would back on kickstarter yet, even though I am watching CU closely and will buy it when it comes out.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    ReVeaL7 said:
    Here's the reality that I was able to cross off about Chronicles of Elyria.  Now remember, this is a full opinion based on crossing off the evidence.  If anyone wish to debate the topic, I'm a Master Debater. I'm willing to debate anyone, because that's what I do is look for targets.  So here's my evidence on Chronicles of Elyria.  

Myself and a long MMORPG friend of mine whom we both played MMORPGs over 15yrs now. We're both PvP Raid Leaders.  We both talked about a game that was trying to release about 15years ago.  That game have incredible similarities to CoE basically practically seemingly like the same game. I was talking to him about CoE. While describing things Caspian is planning to implement into CoE. He kept referencing, oh it's like this game I was planning to jump in on launch 15yrs ago.  He then said, this game he was particular interested in, he was planning to play, but they never received enough funds to launch the game.  So, everytime I say something i think is unique to CoE. He then responds, and say, yes that's exactly like this game I was following 15yrs ago too. After crossing off more than 10 LIKE references, and many unique references.  
    (Such as permadeath, player family, survival, landed titles, player children, aging, disguises)  
    We both figured, that CoE is a good chance that it is the same game.

So we figured CoE is being developed possibly by one of these below:
    A) The same Developer or someone from that Team
    or
    B) or someone whom receive there ideas from the same team

Then to hit the icing on the cake. During one of the Q&A with Bicycle Walrus.  Jeremy Walsh stated that he was trying to launch a title,  guess when!?  He said, 15 years ago, which happens be the exact same date my friend's comparison game was expecting to launch.  He also stated that he has been working on this title pretty much since then. He stated the main engine for CoE is already done.

So by the preponderance of the evidence.  Of having so many similarities it is fair and logical to say, CoE possibly upgrade version of that game.  It is also possible that Jeremy Walsh possibly can launch a finish product in 16months due to the amount of time spent on this Title already.
    So no, I don't think this is a new title entirely. I just think this is a old title being revamped or rebirth to this modern day and time.
    Sounds like Age of Mourning (the OG greed monger), lol. :)  Not sure on the time-frame though. Not that I buy the deduction here, but that would certainly be some shizzit if true.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited May 2016
    You do not have a cent 'invested' in any of those games. You may have donated/given that much to those projects, and you may see one or more of the games released and then receive a gift for your donation. Just stop deceiving yourself, and others, about the nature of your gift.
  • ThwaiteThwaite Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Those who doubt Kickstarter: You do understand Pillars of Eternity was a kirkstarter, right? Possibly, one of the best RPGs made in the last 10 years.

I'll keep playing crowd funded games that are winning awards and enjoy them. You keep playing half-baked games controlled by a corporate giant like EA, getting below 50% satisfaction rating. Conflict solved.
  • Abydos-CDDAbydos-CDD Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Sansbox with a lot of freedom, Im BACKER :) 
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    I think Project Gorgon and Crowfall are the only two MMO's I backed on KS. Off all the game genres, MMO is the one I have the least confidence in when it comes to crowdfunding. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?