Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth it for an old Player from 2014 coming back?

3EyedBandit3EyedBandit Member UncommonPosts: 5
Hello everyone, I started playing back in June 25 2014, and took a year off since then after putting in 273 hours. I maxed out my White Mage, and got a lot of the other classes up pretty high. I also completed the story line fully and did some end game content. Sadly I cannot remember much of the story at all, or the characters.

Is there a video, or some article to get a recap as I'm thinking about getting the expansion but I don't want to be completely lost.

Have older players come back to the new content and found the investment well worth it?

Comments

• 3EyedBandit3EyedBandit Member UncommonPosts: 5
    edited May 2016
    --
    Post edited by 3EyedBandit on
  • Zefiris8Zefiris8 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    If you enjoyed the game before then it is probably worth it.  I quit right before 2.1 came out then came back during 2.4

I found the original story to be kind of average to meh, but after that the story starts to get better and better as you go along.

The game itself is still the same basics though.  Get your weekly cap of tomestones, do some extreme primals.  Hardcore raiding is now Savage modes of the story raids so the casuals can experience the story of the raid dungeons.

Also, you won't be able to do much with the expansion until you complete all the story stuff from the original.  From 2.0 through 2.55 took me around 20 hours, so you'll have to do all that before even setting foot in the new Heavensward zones.
    I ended up getting back to my Steam, didn't want to spend all the money again and lose my VET awards. So I watched a few youtube videos to get back into it. But I've been playing for around five hours plus now getting through everything for EXP content. I noticed level gears are way up now, so I gotta grind this too. I still enjoy the game!

I know why I quit last time, maxed out the story and was at end game. The grinding per week for items, and only being allowed one drop every 7 days was awful to me. Hopefully my wife will make an account and we can do some co-op. This was the first MMO that I could get to max level without being bored during the leveling phase. I should level up some other classes too!

I remember I couldn't even make it past lv20 in WoW. Other than Ultima Online, I never enjoyed the online rpg genre as much as single player, or co-op. FF 14 is
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Be prepared to grind out about 100 quests (literally)  just to get to the new content.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Man, so much to do! :)  I'm starting on Still Waters - the Maelstrom quests

http://ffxiv.wikia.com/wiki/Through_the_Maelstrom_Main_Scenario_Quests

Since I left FF14, I was done everything on A Realm Reborn, and finished A Realm Awoken this weekend.

I need to get some crafting up, because I'm so broke 50,000 GIL, would like nicer gear to combat the new content with.

Yea, I'm having to reset my HUD, and everything. I'm at the Inn re-reading all the quests! Helps a lot!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its a good game at its core. Just dont take it too seriously and you'll have a good time.
  • tasburathtasburath Member UncommonPosts: 47
    The game is beautiful.

My complaint, and the main reason I quite was the Global Cooldown.  It's way too long and the combat felt clunky to me because of this.  I played a paladin, so I can't vouch for the other classes.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I've only recently returned to FFXIV and am enjoying it a lot. Though I nearly hadn't as much time spent as OP, I am enjoying the game a lot now. I picked up my CNJ again and have pushed it to 30 to be able to get my chocobo out for battle and then switched to ARC (19 atm) to change to bard along the way.

Also worth to note is that the console versions of the game are very well done. Though I do have PC licenses for the game, I did buy it again for PS3 and haven't touched the PC version of the game at all since I started playing again...
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Viper482 said:
    Be prepared to grind out about 100 quests (literally)  just to get to the new content.

I had to do the same thing when I came back last year before the expac.

It was a very daunting task, as it contains a lot of mandatory Group Dungeons in it, but I must say that I enjoyed it, as the story got better and better and kind of addictive.

The Heavens Ward zones are really Nice. I have taken a break for a while now, but planning to go back again for a bit.  It's a Nice game.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    tasburath said:
    The game is beautiful.

My complaint, and the main reason I quite was the Global Cooldown.  It's way too long and the combat felt clunky to me because of this.  I played a paladin, so I can't vouch for the other classes.
    monk and ninja have less GCD (2.0 base - S.Speed) , and at higher lvls with some S.speed its lower , not as fast as other games but....

i dont know , never bothered me 2.5s is a lot but there are tons of Off Global cooldown skills to weave...
  • motionsick25motionsick25 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    @3EyedBandit, I was also wondering about returning to the game.  Plus a shameless name drop for points so I can actually make a thread.  I can't access my original mmorpg account I made back in 2005 for some reason.
  • KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I consider going back from time to time, but that atrocious quest grind always turns me off. I just can't imagine ever pushing through that pointless content just to access the new stuff.
  • motionsick25motionsick25 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, I read about the gated content of Heavensward through questing in different thread.  It's kinda off-putting, but if the story is good, I won't mind.  Just worried about the queue times with duty finder people were complaining about just to progress your story line.

Edit: I finished reading through that thread and it seems that q times is a JP servers issue.  I am 100% positive I picked an NA server.