Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Define Dead

NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
There are a lot of threads going on about the genre being dead.

I think a game doesn't have to be shut down to be dead. Dead to me is when there just isn't enough people playing in-game that you can do group content, long instance pops, etc.

So, define "dead".

1. A game is shut down?

2. There isn't enough people to play with?
To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

Comments

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    No one has ever been able to explain it. Just a bunch of opinions and numbers. It's not dead. Will never die.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    The only truley "dead" games are those they shut the servers down. (see DFUW)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    No one has ever been able to explain it. Just a bunch of opinions and numbers. It's not dead. Will never die.
    I feel that we need some kind of agreement of terms, before there is any kind of debate. Otherwise, these discussions are pointless.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    NorseGod said:
    I feel that we need some kind of agreement of terms, before there is any kind of debate. Otherwise, these discussions are pointless.
    Why? These discussions ARE pointless!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    What about "There's no new life" coming into the genre?
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    This forum's official definition of a dead game is as follows:

"Game is dead because i quit playing"
    "Game is dead because i don't like it"

How about...that's a false statement?

There's life whether you like it or not

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    NorseGod said:
    Won't ever happen. Just like defining what's a sandbox, or what's an mmo.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    How about...that's a false statement?

There's life whether you like it or not
    If you mean Crowd Funding and Indie......I will revise my statement when an MMORPG is actually released.
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    edited May 2016
    People just dont understand business on the macro scale. MMO are not dead, nor are any genre really. In the case of MMO it is over saturation, not a decline. Money per  company has gone down, but user numbers have gone up overall for the genre..... so you know it is saturation, not death.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    People don't understand how this genre works.

The MMORPG genre is like a bucket, right now the bucket is full.  Any games that are made in addition to what is currently running damages all the current titles, will get hate from the players of those games because they fear they will damage theirs and it will not get that many players after the first few months anyway.

Games in this genre don't die out after a few months, they live for 10-20 years.  In that kind of situation you can't keep adding more forever, the market will collapse.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Xeno.phon said:
    People just dont understand business on the macro scale. MMO are not dead, nor are any genre really. In the case of MMO it is over saturation, not a decline. Money per  company has gone down, but user numbers have gone up overall for the genre..... so you know it is saturation, not death.
    You say: people just do not understand which implies that you are saying that you do.  So, logically I can deduce that you perhaps went to University to get educated on the topic of "macro business". Ok, staying with this thought process you would know that you can not submit any work without proper citations or references.

Ok, I said all of that to ask you this:  Where do you get the information that money per company has gone down?  Where did you get the information that user numbers have gone up?  This is a very interesting topic.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    NorseGod said:
    You say that as though having pointless discussions is a bad thing.

Welcome to the Internet.  We have a lot of pointless discussions here.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    what was this about ?

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Kyleran said:
    I agree with this as the literal sense.

But, in a more semantical, commonly-used sense:

My personal view of a "dead game" is when a game hits that stage of only server maintenance and life support.  In other words, the population of paying customers has dropped low enough that continuous or steady development on the game has all but ceased.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited May 2016
    Dead can be literal, with it actually closing down, or subjective with there not being enough players for some to participate in the game with others, which is a interesting because someone will post the exact opposite right after that.  That they were able to easily find groups for dungeon runs for example.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Genre I played for so long doesn't appel to me any more. And the spiral of development doesn't seems to improve for the better.
    Kinda what Blizzard did with WOW.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Genre I played for so long doesn't appel to me any more. And the spiral of development doesn't seems to improve for the better.
    Kinda what Blizzard did with WOW.
    Time to play something else?
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited May 2016
    Dead MMO's are those that devs have already abandoned ship, but sadly for some of their most loyalist player base left it takes a bit longer to realize that or harder to quit when they've thrown butt load of $.

Abandon ship - when you know your game is a failure, so you choose not to deliver the necessary things required to at least retain your player base.

IMO, currently all MMO's are in this stage or worse. This is why WOW: Legion is the only option earliest this year, sadly. At least this would give Blizzard another chance to redeem themselves and reinvest in their product, without anyone competing with them until end of the year.

• loghorizon01loghorizon01 Member UncommonPosts: 32

Uh, most recently I played Nexon's Online RPG Dark Ages which is super, super old. It came out in 1999. The last time I played it, I thought that it was almost the definition of dead. No one was even around to play with me. To my surprise, it seems that the game is actually still alive, with people still playing and an event update this month. So I guess this "dead" means when the servers are shut down.

Blogging here a little bit: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/loghorizon01
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Lokero said:
    Kyleran said:
    I agree with this as the literal sense.

But, in a more semantical, commonly-used sense:

My personal view of a "dead game" is when a game hits that stage of only server maintenance and life support.  In other words, the population of paying customers has dropped low enough that continuous or steady development on the game has all but ceased.
    In other words the games most of us ignore the existence of or discount in our appraisals of the current market anyway... 

As for the premise here, coming to a general consensus.. You essentially have two groups in these discussions, those who are hyperbolic and those who are not... It's a matter of thinking realistically or not, realistically there are plenty of dying games,  not many of them are current triple A offerings, most are older games, or low budget bargain bin games. 

As for the genre, one could argue market presence is dying off, then again it could just be a lull , 2017 could be filled with announcements. Hard to say.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    It's passed on! This genre is no more! It has ceased to be! Its expired and gone to meet its maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If it had a corpse to bury it'd be pushing up daisies! Its computational processes are now history! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the friggin' choir invisible! This is an EX-GENRE!!!

Well actually, it isn't. But I couldn't resist. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic