Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why you should back Chronicles of Elyria.

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Another issue I have with CoE's design philosophy is the development of systems intended to be used by a very small percentage of the player base.  Things like land ownership, and town creation.  Their web page puts a lot of emphasis on developing these types of 'elitist' systems.  It makes me think that the 'interesting' parts of their game are going to be behind a pay wall, or insane time commitments.  Making significant parts of the game available only to a privileged few is just as likely to hurt the game as the OWPVP ideas they have expressed.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Mendel said:
    Another issue I have with CoE's design philosophy is the development of systems intended to be used by a very small percentage of the player base.  Things like land ownership, and town creation.  Their web page puts a lot of emphasis on developing these types of 'elitist' systems.  It makes me think that the 'interesting' parts of their game are going to be behind a pay wall, or insane time commitments.  Making significant parts of the game available only to a privileged few is just as likely to hurt the game as the OWPVP ideas they have expressed.
    The game is not fair by design, not everybody can become king, they get it via inheritance, conquest etc.. 

To get the most out of the game you must be proactive and not inactive. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Zultra said:
    Mendel said:
    The game is not fair by design, not everybody can become king, they get it via inheritance, conquest etc.. 

Sure, I wouldn't expect everyone to be nobility, and certainly not king.  But it's that 'get it via inheritance' thing that smacks of paying for functions unavailable to regular players.  Really, how many of us want to follow Whaley McWhale and live in their lands, paying them rent and taxes and basically playing at their whim?   Is it his winning smile, positive attitude and creative solutions to problems, or his overly-indulgent mother's credit card that we're supposed to follow?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Mendel said:
    Zultra said:
    Mendel said:

Sure, I wouldn't expect everyone to be nobility, and certainly not king.  But it's that 'get it via inheritance' thing that smacks of paying for functions unavailable to regular players.  Really, how many of us want to follow Whaley McWhale and live in their lands, paying them rent and taxes and basically playing at their whim?   Is it his winning smile, positive attitude and creative solutions to problems, or his overly-indulgent mother's credit card that we're supposed to follow?
    True most people won't want t follow what the king says. But this is the thing you don't have to follow the king, you have to follow the kingdoms laws and pay its taxes if you want to be law abiding.

The taxes pay for the troops that defend you, the laws are there to help define order. But if you don't like them move to another kingdom.
    Or get a group of friends move into the wilderness build a hamlet and live by your own laws.

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I think that it all comes down to the V-world and the ability of players to add interesting content to the v-world. If you think they can't deliver that then I don't see much reason for you to back. In reading their plans and musings about what they want, I figured that it was so close to what I would like to see that I should go ahead and back. 

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • Strizzy12Strizzy12 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    The best games I have played were bought during or after launch, with little expectation other than the game looked appealing or seemed interesting. I am talking about games that I ended up playing for years, not a few months. The kicker here is I never expected the game to be great to begin with.

Now on the flip side I've backed a lot of games in the concept stage, thinking they would be great or the next big thing, only to be let down each and every time. Star Citizen is the last game I'm backing as it seems expecting greatness based on concepts hasn't really worked out "for me." 

So as much as I'm interested in COE... They won't see a dime of my money until the game officially launches. 
    Strizzy12 said:
    The best games I have played were bought during or after launch, with little expectation other than the game looked appealing or seemed interesting. I am talking about games that I ended up playing for years, not a few months. The kicker here is I never expected the game to be great to begin with.

Now on the flip side I've backed a lot of games in the concept stage, thinking they would be great or the next big thing, only to be let down each and every time. Star Citizen is the last game I'm backing as it seems expecting greatness based on concepts hasn't really worked out "for me." 

So as much as I'm interested in COE... They won't see a dime of my money until the game officially launches. 
    I am sure in the same situation as you have found yourself in I would feel the same way

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I like what @Bjelar says here.  CoE appears to have some interesting ideas, but despite that, they aren't really doing anything different.  The everybody PVPs mindset is detrimental to games, and some of the ideas that CoE are promoting (killing low ranking people doesn't hit your karma as bad as killing the 'important' people) is just going encourage the ganking.  Might as well pin a sign on my character's back that reads "OPEN SEASON".

What CoE appears to be is yet another MOBA trying to pass itself off as a persistent world.
    No.  Go look more closely at the actual design.  MOBAs simply don't have things like breeding horses.  If you want to make things up about a game to try to discredit the game, by all means make yourself look like nothing more than a troll.  You would not be the first, nor the last.  But this isn't a MOBA.

As for the not "really doing anything different"?  Well there is enough in this game that really is quite similar in design to the Greek game Darkfall for us to know two key points:
    (a) the game will be a lot of fun if they keep to this design approach.
    (b) greifing will be a serious threat to the longevity of the title, so they have to deal with that head on or it will die by year 3.

Thing is - most people don't play *any* game longer than 3 months.  Hell I get bored of some games in a single week.  But $25 is less than one night out, so when you look at a computer game in terms of value for money, this game does not have to be very different from past games, or wildly original, or radically innovative - it's less than a night at the movies, it only has to be fun for a week or more to well and truly pay for itself in terms of personal cost/benefit.  And yes, I think it will be fun to see this one unfold, not least because they have some very real challenges to not fail where others have failed before (particularly on managing greifing) - but they have good ideas that might actually really work, leading to the game a lot of people will want to play.

Mendel said:

You do know that dying as a higher ranked player will make you closer to your permadeath, right? 

It isn't pay to win, because when you put your head above the parapet not only will more people aim at it, but it's going to hurt more when someone succeeds.  That said if a noble does well, and you can earn the story points to get a new spark - because you added to the game's story.  Besides, you can become King without spending more than $25.  I dare you to be the first rags to riches King - you would indeed be legendary. 
  • Abydos-CDDAbydos-CDD Member UncommonPosts: 98
    +1 OP thread !
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Strizzy12 said:

Hands on is the only way I can determine if a game is good for me or not, unless it's a series that has a proven track record so I pretty much know what to expect.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited May 2016
    Strizzy12 said:

Hands on is the only way I can determine if a game is good for me or not, unless it's a series that has a proven track record so I pretty much know what to expect.
    I can understand this 100%

Why ?  I just learn we can only get ''exposition period'' with KS.  You dont want miss this !
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Why ?  I just learn we can only get ''exposition period'' with KS.  You dont want miss this !
    Not true.  they said the KS tiers will be available after launch on the website but their diluted (less "stuff") or cost more.

That's really why I am dropping my pledges to the minimum.  If the game actually develops to a point it seems real I can bump up the pledges and get the 3 month head start

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My apologies I forgot that you can get in if you have 1000IP.
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Negatif man,  KS pledges will are avaible only 1 month after the KS for Paypal user and no more.
    Negatif man,  KS pledges will are avaible only 1 month after the KS for Paypal user and no more.
    My apologies I meant entry into the pre-launch is 1000IP.

Not true.  they said the KS tiers will be available after launch on the website but their diluted (less "stuff") or cost more.

That's really why I am dropping my pledges to the minimum.  If the game actually develops to a point it seems real I can bump up the pledges and get the 3 month head start
    The ks tiers will only be available for 1 month after the ks.

After that you can only buy ip with the 2016 amount being $1 for 10ip

• Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Nanfoodle said:
    I was going to but then the whole permadeath thing made me walk away. Its tied into their payment model. You keep aging even when you're not playing. As a casual gamer, it just turned me off. 
    This may be a bit radical, but it's my opinion : devs shouldn't make games that are designed to be hardcore ie not casual, as it just encourages a society to spend more and more time behind a computer screen instead of going out in the real world or doing family stuff.

I do believe there are people out there with families ie young children etc who are growing up and missing out because parents are not dealing with their every day needs because they just have to do one more thing in their hardcore MMO. I know one or two like this and I've read online forums to know its a problem for a lot of people.

i think just like alcohol and perhaps smoking (I don't smoke btw, never have) are OK in moderation, the same goes for games. One designed to grip you and suck you in to playing in all your spare time just cannot be a good thing morally. 

I appreciate adults have a choice, but I dont think they always make those choices for the best of their family or their own well-being.

Thing is, there are people with a lack of self control and a hardcore game acts like a drug, but it's legal. It can be just as damaging.
    edited May 2016
    Oh, it's a lot of IP Mr
    edited May 2016

The KS tiers will only exist for a month after the KS ends.  After that they will still offer packages/tiers but they will not be as good.  Exactly as I described earlier.

Q. Random question: is there any way to put any additional money towards the next Tier instead of getting IP rewards? As in : I backed for $120, which is as much as I can commit to at this moment, but we have a while to go till the game is released. I would not be adverse to committing, say, $10 a month till that happens, but I would be more inclined to do this for a chance at a higher tier then raking up more IP, if that makes sense?

A. We're looking at a way to do a layaway program (Crowfall does this) for continued contributions after the KS ends, allowing you to upgrade to a higher reward tier. However we need to get that in place. Also, you'd be contributing toward the new reward tiers, not the current ones.

Q. So I asked this last night, hope the developers don't mind if I ask again, So I am currently pledged in at Weapon Master, and I am looking to upgrade myself to Duke. Though I half expect to be able to earn my way there before the beginning of Exposition, I have recently found out I am going to be paid more over the next few months. You have said that you are going to continue the current packages of pledges through Paypal for a month post-KickStarter. Do you know whether or not people who have pledged in the KickStarter will be able to upgrade their package to another one during that month? Will I be able to put down the difference between Weapon Master and Duke?

A. You'll be able to upgrade your KS pledge when backing on our site. The existing KS pledge tiers will remain the same for the 1st month for PayPal backers. Then we'll switch to 2016 backer tiers with some variations. If you upgrade at that point, you'd need to choose from the new reward tiers available at the time.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Incorrect.. again.  Please read my above email and please stop spreading incorrect info as truth.

edited May 2016

Incorrect.. again.  Please read my above email and please stop spreading incorrect info as truth.
    I actually posted that before you posted the other message.  And I wasn't aware about the 2016 packages. Last I saw they were just offering ip.

So yes I was wrong but only since I was using older information. A bit like when you posted the ks rewards.
    Besides it's once I have put something incorrect...

Also could you link that since I would like to check out the thread. Or at least say where you read it and I will find it myself

I actually posted that before you posted the other message.  And I wasn't aware about the 2016 packages. Last I saw they were just offering ip.

So yes I was wrong but only since I was using older information. A bit like when you posted the ks rewards.

Also could you link that since I would like to check out the thread. Or at least say where you read it and I will find it myself
    Of course there will be 2016 packages.. and then there will be 2017 packages.  There will in all likelihood be packages available at launch as well.  

And no I will not link it.  As someone  stated earlier today:
    Drakenhoff said:
    I am not linking it for you, it's not my job to trawl through forums and other sites looking for something you can't find.

edited May 2016

Of course there will be 2016 packages.. and then there will be 2017 packages.  There will in all likelihood be packages available at launch as well.  

And no I will not link it.  As someone  stated earlier today:
    Drakenhoff said:
    I am not linking it for you, it's not my job to trawl through forums and other sites looking for something you can't find.

Hence the reason I asked what site it was on.

But i asked fir a link mainly because your in the habit of posting old information just like I mistakenly just did.

I'm happy to search myself but since I can't see it on the official forums

Hence the reason I asked what site it was on.

But i asked fir a link mainly because your in the habit of posting old information just like I mistakenly just did.

I'm happy to search myself but since I can't see it on the official forums
    Source = Official Forums
     =)