Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it dead? Is it crap?

Comments

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    edited January 2016
    DarLorkar said:
    I enjoyed it up to 50. Then the grind for rep to get better gear sets in and i never have enjoyed that type of gaming.

I suggest people try it out and see if they like it. Just be careful of the shop. They sometimes screw up what what you buy and getting it fixed is a hit or miss proposition.  

FTP to 50 is ok or if you like grinding for gear for rep after 50 is ok.  That is my feelings on the game.
    That is exactly why the game struggles now. Every update is a new rep to grind. But it's not even really new. It's the same one you've done many times before with a different name and different names on rewards. With a new set of hoops to jump through.  Plus they pretty much killed alting for me when they nerfed exp a few updates back.

Grinding isn't bad, but when it's the only thing they give you to do, it becomes bad.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Had huge hopes for this game.  I did play it for a few months after release.

I really loved the space PVP.  Everything else was pretty bad.

However OP, you may enjoy it.  I noticed you said in other threads you don't like twitch based combat, and the game has none of that.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2016
    Had huge hopes for this game.  I did play it for a few months after release.

I really loved the space PVP.  Everything else was pretty bad.

However OP, you may enjoy it.  I noticed you said in other threads you don't like twitch based combat, and the game has none of that.
    I hated it at release and strongly voiced my displeasure with STO at that time.. But these years later they have fixed all the problems i had with it .. Added tons of content , and really fleshed out a Star trek world ... Now i really enjoy my time in game .. So much to do always something to accomplish and always fun
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2016
    Downloading now. I wanna try it out. I always preferred Star Trek or Alien for a Sci-Fi fix. Just never tried this game for some reason.

BTW I would really be interested in an Alien MMO. Imagine the Dungeons and the boss fights.

Someone get on that will ya?  
    Take yer time with it , Lil bit of a learning curve ..... Many systems will be presented to you as you rank up ... Make sure to set up rght mouse button to steer ship .. (it may be default ) The ground combat may seem clunky .. (at first) but its not and actaully set up very well , the pace is intentional as when you have a full away team and all there skills and your own to manage .. it feels just right

Also , when learming to navigate around space , open the map and use the system drop down window and look by name (the dbl clik) till you better learn your way around , and some missions will also put a marker on the galaxy map you can dbl clik to travel there .. Have fun
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Yep, learning curve is fairly steep with a couple different mechanics throwed at you during the way (though it is revamped a few times already, and that helps a lot). Don't sweat on it first, just enjoy the ride :wink:
    Even if you make some mistakes, it's easy to fix later since STO is sorta "classless" game, your crew (and in space also your ship) makes a big chunk of your "build" and you can swap and replace them easily.
    During they way to admirality you'll get 5 ships for free, you can experiment with those too (I used to pick the last one to be different than my main role, and keeping it for an alternate build. The lower ones you'll most likely dispatch anyways, ship slots are more valuable :wink: )
    Use your DOffs during the leveling, the system can give nice boosts and also it's fun.
  • Walkyier70Walkyier70 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    edited January 2016
    considering pwi , its still a good game one of the better free to play
  • elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Is six years I play it on and off, and I find it a very good game. And you don't need to sub if you don't want to, in the game you can mine dilithium and exchange it for zen, which is the currency you use in the real money shop, so if you have patience, you can grab some stuff from the shop without having to shell out a dime, of course, it will take you some time to do it.
    I am subbed because I like the game and I like to support it, and buy the occasional stuff on the shop.
    You can really customize how you want to play both in space and ground managing your ship and your bridge officers, using the duty officers to give you bonuses both in space and on the ground.  
    I love Star Trek and never had any problem with the game, I like to play the seasons, is like to take part in some good Star Trek episodes and you'll find the original actors dubbing their characters in the game.
    If you are a fan of the series you can stop and look over the tribute statues they put on Vulcan and New Romulus for the death of Leonard Nimoy and there also plaques to tribute who worked on the series and passed away.

If you are not a fan and like sci fi you can still have a blast, and over all, you can experience the entire game as free to play if you want... so no better way to see if you like it as to try it.
    If you decide to play it all the way up to admiral, don't throw away your ships *grins* There's a new system that allow you to send those ships on missions and you gain experience and some other stuff.

One thing that should be mentioned is the character creator, you can really create whatever you want with it, down to how it's dressed and how it stands when is idle and you can also customize your bridge officers.  In a minor way you can also customize a bit your ship, and choose the interior, you can walk around your ship a bit, is just a few locations , not the entire ship, but the impression to be into it is not that bad.

• ImperatorBellusImperatorBellus Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Burntvet said:
    On the flip side, they are down to just a couple servers, and most people have quit.

Game is very shallow and  is centered around getting you to buy lockboxes. Like other PWI games.

Game is ok for the occasional bit, but it is far too shallow and repetitive to stick with for any length of time. And the grouping tools still suck. And there is no Z axis for combat/flight. And the sectors are tiny. PvP is mostly pointless.

STO's shortcomings are well known at this point.

Every game is repetitive to a certain extent. The only thing I find repetitive in STO is during Episode missions where you may have to fight the same enemies multiple times. There is a lot of mission variety with the episode missions and trying new ships also adds variety in addition to 100+ player created Forge missions, PVE Co-op Missions (STF, Special Task Force), Random encounters throughout sector space like distress calls and patrol missions Borg Alerts etc. Que'd Ground/Space PVP or Organized player created PVP matches if you are in one of the PVP channels or you can do Zone PVP in one of the PVP zones.

I really enjoy the gameplay in space and ground, they have the generic MMORPG controls but the 3rd person shooter control scheme is more enjoyable. Even though a game like star trek bridge commander has far better gameplay, I wouldn't say STO has horrible gameplay for Space, I rate it 7.5/10 and STBC I would rate 8.7/10 for it's gameplay.

Overall I rate Star Trek Online 8/10 because it has so much content and so many ships to play, even though the Zen prices are a rip off I am okay with it, as long as you are spending disposable income then it is fine. I have actually spent around 800$ on Star Trek Online since March 2014 when I started playing it more. 
  • MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Is there any variation to missions these days? I remember it to be very repetative, even for a themepark. Ground missions was always the same, blast a path through some enemies, activate something. Beam up. Space combat is also the same; arrive at a star system, fight three or more waves of enemies. Either complete or in many cases beam down to continue fighting on the ground.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Its life Jim, but not as we know it. :p
    Phaserlight
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Phry said:
    Man, loved that accolade during the anniversary, where you found the dead guy in the Jefferies tubes and you got the "It's dead, Jim" title :wink: 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Po_gg said:
    Phry said:
    Man, loved that accolade during the anniversary, where you found the dead guy in the Jefferies tubes and you got the "It's dead, Jim" title :wink: 
    Star Trek was generally full of those kinds of things, one of my favourites was from the song, Star Trek'ing
    'We come in peace, shoot to kill'
    well you get the idea, it was after all, a cult tv series :)

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Mannnn, the lack of forum activity for this game...Is it that bad?  Is it dead?  I was thinking of giving it a try, but I don't want to waste my time.
    I am only in this forum to respond to you:

I don't read these forums. I just logged in for my daily giveaway login count and saw this on the front page.
    How about going to the official forums?

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

Burntvet said:
    On the flip side, they are down to just a couple servers, and most people have quit.

Game is very shallow and  is centered around getting you to buy lockboxes. Like other PWI games.

Game is ok for the occasional bit, but it is far too shallow and repetitive to stick with for any length of time. And the grouping tools still suck. And there is no Z axis for combat/flight. And the sectors are tiny. PvP is mostly pointless.

Couple of servers? There is only one server.
    I only ever paid PWE for a sub a couple years ago for several months, then some time later started playing casually paying for inventory and bank space.

All my ships are either obtained from grants of promotions, or from the yearly events (anniversary: Just got the Krenim science ship a few days ago; Q's winter wonderland: Just got the recent ship in December; Risian summer event: Got that ship too).

Game seems complex enough with the admiralty system, R&D, specialization system, etc.
    I have never really grouped other than the random queues/events. It is a shame you can't go straight "up" or "down", but you can spiral. I don't know what you mean by "sectors are tiny". You have the entire quadrant to travel across without zoning until you hit the next quadrant wall. Higher ranks you can travel faster with transwarp/slipstream, but at lower levels it can take some time to travel at lower speeds. 
    I have never played PvP.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

I only played it a couple of hours and found the ground combat clunky and the space combat unintuitive.  I uninstalled it pretty quickly.
    There are two different methods of ground combat play:

1. FPS style where you have to use the special hotkeys to access the hotbar skills.
    2. RPG style where you have free cam movement.

Ground combat is done best with real players. The AI crew needs more handling, gear upgrades, etc.

Space isn't hard at all to understand. The new tutorials actually tell you how to move. 
    E: go faster, D: slow down. R: full impulse right away; your basic WASD movement in space; use your Bridge Officer Skills (boffs), buy the basics from trainers if they don't have to fit your play style. You can set weapons to auto fire leaving you to move the ship and use the boffs.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

• gipfeligipfeli Member UncommonPosts: 98
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Did they ever fix the horrible lag that made the game unplayable ?
    I have never experienced lag .. but i have seen others complain in global occasionnally , usually following an update ..

Yeah it was only affecting some - ill give it a try

Btw IMO 

star trek > star wars

fixed it for you :)
  • BadgeOfHonorBadgeOfHonor Member CommonPosts: 6
    edited March 2016
    ITPalg said:

How about going to the official forums?
    Not always possible. The official forum mods are awfully fond of the banhammer.
  • BadgeOfHonorBadgeOfHonor Member CommonPosts: 6
    Is STO dead because it's crap, or is it crap because it's dead?
    psychosiz1
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    One thing about the game is there is no straight vertical movement in space, you can only spiral your ship up or down.

One nice thing is the Foundry like in Neverwinter Onnline.  Player created content.  They have short and long adventure quests and grinding quests for those who want to grand levels or test new builds.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Scorchien said:
    Burntvet said:

I really have no idea what game you played ...
    Lifetime members like myself and others who have left absolutely know which game he's played. You see, everything he listed is happening in this title and now thye are going to try to bring it over to the consoles because hey, everyone on the pc side knows what it's about so they are going to try to dupe another set of players.

Next will be phones I'm sure. Not enough box buyers you see.

They are going to have to make some enormous changes to the game before porting it over and I mean huge numbers of changes particularly to progression.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

Is it dead? Is it crap?

Yes & Yes
    meonthissiteHariken
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

Any 1 bit alien, with internet can play the game its totally free. But if you are not parsing at least 50k are you really helping at all. If your parsing over 100k you have spent over a thousand bucks. If you don't even run a parser you not in the feet. 

Space ship fighting, even shadow looking ships from baybalon 5, and ground fighting, with ways around spending a cent of real life cash if you have the time.

Short less then 15 minet or so pve missions that are easy to compleat even with pugs all the way to elite missions that do take some thinking.

Steam, Arc, or CD instalations.

Their are a lot of space ship games, a lot of ground games, a few with both, but only one STO.

So much coustomazition as well you can change the way your ships look, the way u look, the way each crew member looks, even different ship insides.

Sorry English not gud :)

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
     fun game for casual playing , very populated & live