Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overwatch is the only game you'll ever need....

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    " I know it's Blizzard, Game Informer, but at least try to look at the game without such an obvious fanboy bias."

There's actually a good reason people have a Blizzard bias.  They almost always release extremely polished games.  Overwatch is no exception.
  • VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    I love the style and the game is smooth to play. I just dont like games where you  can be one shot.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited May 2016
    Ehhh..."polish" might be the only thing it really has though if you look at the full scope of the game's content.

Some maps with two game modes and a roster who's only form of progression is obtained through random chance using loot boxes that you have to either be severely lucky with or alternatively shell out extra cash to get the cosmetics of choice (only again after being at least marginally lucky through random chance if not by getting the items themselves then getting enough coins randomly to afford what you actually want) after having just bought the game.

The basic gameplay is good. The character variety is good. But the game has nothing else.

Is it a good game? Sure, what it does it does well. However, it doesn't do a whole lot. The game doesn't even really deliver on narrative, instead relying on the external media videos and comics that are being published by Blizz to explain and justify the content in-game. If you don't read/watch those videos, then all you have is the short quips characters sometimes make at the start of the match and nothing else to explain why you are running around in a pink mech shooting an angry ape.

It's a very narrow game with a very narrow user experience. It delivers on that experience well, but it's being over-hyped into something bigger than it really is.

Rather than stopping at the revelation that it's not all that big of a game, detractors swing for the fences in complaining about the hype and complaining about whatever else there is to try and nitpick though, and rather than having a level discourse people polarize into nonsense.

EDIT: Yes, there is semantically four game modes, but one is just the other two modes stacked together and the other is effectively a two-round version of the assault mode with one objective each round, meaning the core gameplay experience boils down to only two map objective types.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• FFFGFFFG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Kane72 said:
    Yeah whatever. I'm just going to wait until the hype train runs out of steam and the shiny wears off and the game has to get by on its own merit and player retention. Then we'll see how this goes.

I will say though that I'm pretty sure however the game fares in future its most likely already a financial success regardless, that's the boon of big hype and a buy to play box price. If the game turns out to suck later on they've already got your money. ... Unless of course Overwatch really is the afterbirth of the long road to nowhere that was Titan. Then depending on how much development money Blizz flushed down the crapper on that game, Overwatch might need some really big numbers to just break even.
    Why does this matter to you. So you want to wait until the hype dies down blah blah blah. Why does that need to happen and why are you hell bent on waiting for it? If you like the game, play it. If you don't, then don't play it. It's really quite simple.
    It matters because currently you can't go anywhere, game forums, news sites, other games, without someone trying to sell you on Overwatch. Its annoying. I neither hate nor love the game, I find it completely unremarkable, not bad, just nothing exciting. And I find the completely manufactured hype train of Blizzards marketing blitz quite irritating. I'd be quite happy to not malinger around the game and leave you fans to your own devices, but that's very hard to do when some hype train troll keeps coming round and poking me with a stick and telling me "You've got to try this! Its the best thing since sliced bread!", when in reality, its just another fucking video game.

So anyway, that sword of yours cuts both ways. Love the game? Great, I'm happy for you. Now how about you go and play the fucking thing and stop trying to get the rest of us to drink the Kool-aid
    The logical question comes to my mind then... what the hell are you doing on the Overwatch forum if talking about that game is so painful for you? Masochism?
    Oh gee Wally, it couldn't be because of your lovely clickbait thread title could it? As stated before, stop trying to troll the uninterested if you don't want us coming in here and starting shit.
    So you admit the only reason you come here is to "start shit" I don't think JLP has ever had such an easier time proving his point as he just did with you...
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited May 2016
    Kane72 said:
    Yeah whatever. I'm just going to wait until the hype train runs out of steam and the shiny wears off and the game has to get by on its own merit and player retention. Then we'll see how this goes.

I will say though that I'm pretty sure however the game fares in future its most likely already a financial success regardless, that's the boon of big hype and a buy to play box price. If the game turns out to suck later on they've already got your money. ... Unless of course Overwatch really is the afterbirth of the long road to nowhere that was Titan. Then depending on how much development money Blizz flushed down the crapper on that game, Overwatch might need some really big numbers to just break even.
    Why does this matter to you. So you want to wait until the hype dies down blah blah blah. Why does that need to happen and why are you hell bent on waiting for it? If you like the game, play it. If you don't, then don't play it. It's really quite simple.
    It matters because currently you can't go anywhere, game forums, news sites, other games, without someone trying to sell you on Overwatch. Its annoying. I neither hate nor love the game, I find it completely unremarkable, not bad, just nothing exciting. And I find the completely manufactured hype train of Blizzards marketing blitz quite irritating. I'd be quite happy to not malinger around the game and leave you fans to your own devices, but that's very hard to do when some hype train troll keeps coming round and poking me with a stick and telling me "You've got to try this! Its the best thing since sliced bread!", when in reality, its just another fucking video game.

So anyway, that sword of yours cuts both ways. Love the game? Great, I'm happy for you. Now how about you go and play the fucking thing and stop trying to get the rest of us to drink the Kool-aid
    The logical question comes to my mind then... what the hell are you doing on the Overwatch forum if talking about that game is so painful for you? Masochism?
    Oh gee Wally, it couldn't be because of your lovely clickbait thread title could it? As stated before, stop trying to troll the uninterested if you don't want us coming in here and starting shit.
    You can't really see the thread unless you come here. But I guess logic is something unknown when it comes to game bashing, right? ;)

To click or not to click, that is the question. One must really be weak to not be able to resist clicking on an Internet link he has zero interest in, right?
    it's on the front page of mmorpg.com, which is how i got here. all new posts are.

i see a thread called  "the only game you will ever need" and i come here to see the train wreck lol

of course people are going to come here to disagree because there is no such game.

click bait indeed.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    baphamet said:
    ew posts are.

i see a thread called  "the only game you will ever need" and i come here to see the train wreck lol

of course people are going to come here to disagree because there is no such game.

click bait indeed.
    You folks do realize it was sarcasm in the thread title right? I guess you'd have to read the OP to see that though... Click bait? LMAO...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Kane72 said:

Welcome to the world of advertising kid. I see comercial's on TV for makeup, douches, maxipads, Tampons, and other products I don't use as a man. Guess what I find it distasteful but I don't whine like a baby about it. So suck it up buttercup and live with it.

edited May 2016
    Asellia said:
    I like Roadhog a lot. I kick some serious butt as him. I was on fire the literal whole game after 30 seconds last night.

Edit: game was a full 10 just about, we got it near to last objective almost instantly, and proceeded to lose, but I still did well, so i suppose it's okay.
    Having a high kill count in an objective based game isn't a sign of doing well, more often than not it's the opposite of doing well :P (as people are often camped getting kills rather than focusing on the objective).... Just thought I'd throw that out there as that crap annoys the hell out of me in chivalry...

baphamet said:
    Kane72 said:

You can't really see the thread unless you come here. But I guess logic is something unknown when it comes to game bashing, right? ;)

To click or not to click, that is the question. One must really be weak to not be able to resist clicking on an Internet link he has zero interest in, right?
    it's on the front page of mmorpg.com, which is how i got here. all new posts are.

click bait indeed.
    If it is bait then clearly it worked. So I guess that would make you the fish/troll? The title of the game was right there in the title. So either say something constructive to either debate the content of the thread, or support it. Otherwise move along nothing to see here comes to mind. 

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Distopia said:
    baphamet said:
    ew posts are.

click bait indeed.
    You folks do realize it was sarcasm in the thread title right? I guess you'd have to read the OP to see that though... Click bait? LMAO...
    I wonder how many people agreed with the OP not realizing he was actually bashing reviewers for being fanboys.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    FFFG said:
    Kane72 said:

So you admit the only reason you come here is to "start shit" I don't think JLP has ever had such an easier time proving his point as he just did with you...
    Nope just adding my two cents to counter the deluge of over hype bullshit. I've made every post on the subject concise and non personal to individuals, and made every attempt to explain my point of view. Its posters like yourself and the other one you mention that offer nothing to the discussion other than "well if you don't drink the kool-aid with us just leave" If you are unable to offer a rational counter argument or a differing opinion, why bother wasting your and everyone elses time?
    So pointed out you admit to one purpose here and that is "to start shit".  You then claim you don't do personal attacks by following that up with a specific attack about those like me (I've actually never stated my opinion on Overwatch) drink the "who drink the Koop-aid". 

Hey did add to the conversation I pointed out you are only here to "start shit" so you obviously fall into the "hater" group.  
    Eadan1 said:
    Kane72 said:

Welcome to the world of advertising kid. I see comercial's on TV for makeup, douches, maxipads, Tampons, and other products I don't use as a man. Guess what I find it distasteful but I don't whine like a baby about it. So suck it up buttercup and live with it.
    And what do you do when ads start targeting some easily manipulatable men to sell them makeup, and then those men do their best to also make you use make up?
    I ignore it.  Just like I ignore most of the ads here on MMORPG.

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    overwatch..not my type of game

Eadan1 said:
    FFFG said:
    So pointed out you admit to one purpose here and that is "to start shit".  You then claim you don't do personal attacks by following that up with a specific attack about those like me (I've actually never stated my opinion on Overwatch) drink the "who drink the Koop-aid".
    Hey did add to the conversation I pointed out you are only here to "start shit" so you obviously fall into the "hater" group.  
    That's the issue. You don't state your opinions but instead call people who are just stating their opinions haters. With so many people being accused of being haters, one would think games are mostly getting below average scores whereas in reality most games are hyped as hell, and most people who dare to review a game negatively gets drowned in downvotes.
    No it's not so many it's just the ones who actually admit they are...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    9.5 to me, easily.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    DMKano said:
    FFFG said:
    Eadan1 said:
    FFFG said:
    That's the issue. You don't state your opinions but instead call people who are just stating their opinions haters. With so many people being accused of being haters, one would think games are mostly getting below average scores whereas in reality most games are hyped as hell, and most people who dare to review a game negatively gets drowned in downvotes.
    No it's not so many it's just the ones who actually admit they are...

Seems right on the money to me - the game is a 7.5 through and through

PS4:

Xbone:

Well I wonder what the reason the game rated so low on consoles.  Maybe since its a console it doesn't have the 10 million blizzard fans who praise everything they do.  Or the console gamers have a better variety of quality games then the pc gamers.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited May 2016
    baphamet said:
    Kane72 said:

click bait indeed.
    If it is bait then clearly it worked. So I guess that would make you the fish/troll? The title of the game was right there in the title. So either say something constructive to either debate the content of the thread, or support it. Otherwise move along nothing to see here comes to mind. 
    it did work, you are right about that. i did say something constructive, the only thing needed to be said.

read the thread title and realize that no such game exists.

even if that game did exist, this isn't it. sure, it's a fun game, i own it. but the only game i will ever need? well, first of all it has very limited content for a game that is supposedly the only one i will ever need.

no single player content, so i guess i must give up that aspect of gaming now because i don't need it?

my point is the thread title is pure flame/click bait, it's like me making a thread called "burger king, the only food you will ever need"

obvious flame bait is obvious.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    filmoret said:
    Distopia said:
    baphamet said:
    ew posts are.

click bait indeed.
    I wonder how many people agreed with the OP not realizing he was actually bashing reviewers for being fanboys.
    Haha, now that you mention it, I'm curious as well.

@Distopia Yea, I think it soared over some people's heads like a home run ball.

edited May 2016
    baphamet said:

it did work, you are right about that. i did say something constructive, the only thing needed to be said.

read the thread title and realize that no such game exists.

even if that game did exist, this isn't it. sure, it's a fun game, i own it. but the only game i will ever need? well, first of all it has very limited content for a game that is supposedly the only one i will ever need.

no single player content, so i guess i must give up that aspect of gaming now because i don't need it?

my point is the thread title is pure flame/click bait, it's like me making a thread called "burger king, the only food you will ever need"

obvious flame bait is obvious.
    @Baphamet .... Obviously the op understands no such game exists.

"my point is the thread title is pure flame/click bait, it's like me making a thread called "burger king, the only food you will ever need"

No it would be like you writing "Burger King is the best place to eat" and going onto write about how it is not that and reviews of the place are overblown. IE making a point about inflated scores and what they try and sell themselves as...

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    i am not a pvp player, but i enjoy this game. its easy enough to get in and be competitive even if you are terrible at fps games. ease of access is a big thing and why i think it will be a solid success like WoW was for that genre.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Reviews don't mean shit. I don't like this type of game, so that's a no.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Since it's not my type of game, I don't feel comfortable giving it a score.

However, based on what I've played of it in beta - it wasn't anywhere near a 9+ title. Maybe somewhere between 6 and 8 - but as I said, I don't feel comfortable giving it a score.

But I'm harsh when it comes to a lack of vision, and - to me - a perfectly executed game with no vision or innovation is closer to 5/10 than 10/10.
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Am bored of this game now after 8 hours.  Very shallow and repetitive with nothing to progress.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Looking for a true virtual world experience.  Should I buy this?