Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ready to Take Off on August 9th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageReady to Take Off on August 9th

The Playstation Blog has been updated with a new release date for Hello Games' No Man's Sky. Originally scheduled for release in June, it was revealed earlier this week that the game would miss the window. With today's blog post, we now know that No Man's Sky will be headed our way on August 9th.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    still says june 21st for steam pc....
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Turning into Star Citizen 2.0...

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    From The Website: Everyone starts No Man’s Sky on the outer rim of the same unexplored galaxy. As you progress, you will come across countless undiscovered solar systems, planets, lifeforms and much more. You can choose to share your discoveries with other players, naming them and adding them to the Galactic Map, forever associated with your PSN ID. You may also share the amazing sights you encounter using PlayStation 4’s share functions.

So how big is the galaxy? Seems to me it would have to be a huge. Looks like a really interesting game.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Turning into Star Citizen 2.0...

LOL, comparing this to Star Citizen. Missing a launch date by 2 months is nothing compared to what has been going on with Star Citizen. They would have to be 3 to 4 years past their original release date and during that time stop giving new release dates while calling all their past dates "artificial" while blaming Derek Smart AND keep selling jpegs of ships during those years they are past due. THEN, you can compare this to the mess that is Star Citizen.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    The galaxy is a living, breathing place, with trade convoys travelling between stars, pirates, police and military ships ever ready for action, and planets teeming with life. The same galaxy is also shared by every player of No Man's Sky. Perhaps you will see the results of their actions, as well as your own?

Okay, so are there other people on this one universe with you or not, thats my question. Ive heard nothing concrete and no one seems to sure. I havent folllowed this game for a bit so perhaps its been sorted out?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    From what i can gather from watching interviews is: everyone is on the same galaxy to start with 'infomation' wise so you can see discoveries and large effects from other players, large effects are stuff like destroying space stations, if you kill a bird on a planet than that is stored locally on your computer. multiplayer aspect is more like GTA5 where you can only see so many people ingame, not sure how many people either but in don't think more than 16. You will be able to see your PSN/Steam friends on the galaxy map but thats it, if you come across another player there are no name tags etc so it will be quite hard to know for sure unless you come face to face. everyone is randomly dropped around the edge of the galaxy and there are 18 quintillion systems or something so the chances of meeting another player are lower than winning the lottery. Thats what i could gather and sean murrey was being pretty vague about stuff like multiplayer so don't quote me on this as it might of been wrong/changed before release. in one interview though he was asked if there was PVP and he outright said 'Yes'. so there's gotta be some kind of multiplayer.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

From The Website: Everyone starts No Man’s Sky on the outer rim of the same unexplored
    galaxy. As you progress, you will come across countless undiscovered
    solar systems, planets, lifeforms and much more. You can choose to share
    your discoveries with other players, naming them and adding them to the
    Galactic Map, forever associated with your PSN ID. You may also share
    the amazing sights you encounter using PlayStation 4’s share functions.

So how big is the galaxy? Seems to me it would have to be a huge. Looks like a really interesting game.

Official estimates of our galaxy's star count vary between 200 and 400 billion.

Elite:Dangerous is supposed to have 400 billion stars in their game world, with an unknown number of planets.

No Man's Sky is supposed to have 18 quintillion (18,446,744,073,709,551,616) planets in the game world.

Both games use procedural generation to create their planets and stars, so none of those assets "exist" unless someone actually goes and looks at them. Quite obviously, no player is ever going to be able to visit ALL the planets in either NMS or E:D...

Butch808 said:

.... in one interview though he was asked if there was PVP and he outright said 'Yes'. so there's gotta be some kind of multiplayer.

And in another interview he said: "No"...

Hello Games have been extremely evasive on the topic of multiplayer. It seems that it's sort of there and sort of not.

Their main response seems to be along the lines of "there is the potential to meet other players, but the game world is so massive that we'll make sure you never meet another soul, so don't worry about it"

Whenever a developer is consistently cagey about a certain game feature, you can bet your ass that it's because there's some major issue with it...
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    [Perd Hapley voice]

I have questions. The number of those questions is two.

First: How can planets and galaxy's be "procedural" and also be shared between other players? am I misunderstanding the definition of "procedural"?

B: All the info I am reading is about PS4. I do not care about PS4. I care about the PC version. So does anyone have any info on the PC version? Steam still says June 21.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

bartoni33 said:
    [Perd Hapley voice]

First: How can planets and galaxy's be "procedural" and also be shared between other players? am I misunderstanding the definition of "procedural"?

B: All the info I am reading is about PS4. I do not care about PS4. I care about the PC version. So does anyone have any info on the PC version? Steam still says June 21.
    A:
    Procedural generation means that the game client builds the game game world on-demand, using a mathematical formula and a "seed number". Every player's game client will build exactly the same game world, because they all use the same formula and seed numbers. 
    That means that NMS doesn't have to have 17 million hand-crafted (and animated) creature models, because the creatures are all generated on-the-fly using 17 million different "seed numbers". Storing a massive number of seed numbers is obviously FAR easier than storing individual models.

B:
    Sony ae taking point on the NMS launch, because they have paid for a "console exclusive launch" for the PS4. The PC version will launch at the same time as the PS4 version. Might be a day later or something just so Sony can get some extra mileage from their "exclusive".
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    DMKano said:

From The Website: Everyone starts No Man’s Sky on the outer rim of the same unexplored
    galaxy. As you progress, you will come across countless undiscovered
    solar systems, planets, lifeforms and much more. You can choose to share
    your discoveries with other players, naming them and adding them to the
    Galactic Map, forever associated with your PSN ID. You may also share
    the amazing sights you encounter using PlayStation 4’s share functions.

Official estimates of our galaxy's star count vary between 200 and 400 billion.

Elite:Dangerous is supposed to have 400 billion stars in their game world, with an unknown number of planets.

No Man's Sky is supposed to have 18 quintillion (18,446,744,073,709,551,616) planets in the game world.

Both games use procedural generation to create their planets and stars, so none of those assets "exist" unless someone actually goes and looks at them. Quite obviously, no player is ever going to be able to visit ALL the planets in either NMS or E:D...

The thing is even if a player visited all the planets, none of them would be memorable due to sheer number, it would all be meaningless mess after about 10 housand or so.

Once exposed to overwhelming input, our brain simply starts to not care anymore. 

As every planet is procedurally generated, it really has none.

The actual number that ever get created is based on the number of players multiplied by the times they discover a new one.

Assuming one does not just discover planets, but actually interacts with them, the number of planets ever created will be lucky to get into the low millions unless this game turns out to be the next GTA in terms of popularity.

Even then the figues will never threaten billions....much less quintillions.)

Besides at the end of the day there can only be so much variation, and after a time much if that will become largely irrelevant to the player.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    bartoni33 said:
    [Perd Hapley voice]

A:
    Procedural generation means that the game client builds the game game world on-demand, using a mathematical formula and a "seed number". Every player's game client will build exactly the same game world, because they all use the same formula and seed numbers. 
    That means that NMS doesn't have to have 17 million hand-crafted (and animated) creature models, because the creatures are all generated on-the-fly using 17 million different "seed numbers". Storing a massive number of seed numbers is obviously FAR easier than storing individual models.

B:
    Sony ae taking point on the NMS launch, because they have paid for a "console exclusive launch" for the PS4. The PC version will launch at the same time as the PS4 version. Might be a day later or something just so Sony can get some extra mileage from their "exclusive".
    A: Ok I was mistaken. I was thinking more along the line of "randomization".

B: Well that is extremely disappointing to say the least. That honestly dampens my expectations of NMS considerably. So the rumor about this delay being because of VR and PS4 concerns might be real (no offense SEANMCAD =)).

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

I hope this doesn't end up No Molyneaux Sky, I'm too interested to feel that. Needs to come to the master race too imho. "Exclusive" to X just means u don't get any sales from Z or Y.
    It's an exclusive release on PS4 in the console market only.

The Windows version will launch for PC at the same time as the PS4 version.

Sony are just making a lot of noise about their "PS4 exclusive", no doubt it cost them $ and they're hellbent on getting the most bang for their buck...
  • brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    While I think waiting until this point to realize you weren't ready for launch is a bit amateurish, it's most likely they have some sort of minor bug they just couldn't fix in the 10-14 days left before the game needs to be gold for shipping. Could be something like "when a ship takes off from this kind of port, it hangs or crashes" and they can't ship it like that. It's almost certainly nothing major, or they would have given the "indefinite hold" if it wasn't going to work out. And with Sony as publisher for the PS4 version, they're going to be held to higher standards than if they just released it on PC themselves.

Still have high hopes, but this doesn't make me look positively at the ongoing development of the game post-launch. They seem to take forever, and not really have themselves very organized. Hopefully the finished product is absolutely complete so we don't have to rely on the studio for further updates, DLC, etc. Because I don't know if they could get one done on time, apparently...