Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this for me?

JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363
I played back with BC, and left shortly after WotLK because life happened. I tried it last year but was appauled by how everyone just gave zero friskies about leveling socially (dungeon running), and just wanted to rush their way to endgame.

Looking for a dungeon runner, so here I am, asking one simple question. Is the current state of WoW for me? Forget Legion, for now.

I dislike having several hotbars filled with skills, mostly never used (looking at you EQ2 and FFXIV). Looking for a nice, fun PvE-oriented game, with emphasis on dungeons and group content (I love to heal or tank). Despise powerlevelling/rushing to the level cap. Devs crafted a game before the endgame, and it should be respected and played.

Hate grinding, though. Grind for me is the necessity to kill mindlessly mobs to be able to take on a new area or questline. It shows poor levelling design and it's subjectively what is wrong with most asian MMOs.

Great examples of grind games:

AION
ArcheAge
FFIX

So, is WoW currently  for me?

Comments

• pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Game now is all about endgame and raiding, leveling experience is nice but it is solo and rather short. Dungeons will play big role in Legion though so you might want wait for it then, since they give 100 level character with expansion anyways.
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    The sad thing is that you cannot start a new character and enjoy all there is because the levelling speed is just rediculous. I would consider playing again if I could have a proper levelling experience, but you can't.
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    I like WoW, but didn't have a great experience when it came to groups. Everyone wants to rush through dungeons and it's up to you to keep up and research the fights or get flamed for being a noob. I play FF14 currently and I think it's superior in the grouping and community aspect. BTW, I main a tank, but my PLD, DRK, and NIN all require me to use all of my skills. If you're not, you're gimping yourself.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Let's put it this way... If this game isn't for you, then no game is.
  • crystas86crystas86 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    they have in each country special wow packs now! if you go to the movie you will get all the expansions and 30 days, but you have to look in your country how you can get it!
    You will pay maybe a bit more for the movie but it will be very cheap to purchase....
    WoW is fun, but leveling is solo like most people say, but i think you will have that in all mmo's lately. 
    The best of WoW is that content will be updated every 3/6 months and every 2 year there will come an expansion. 
    The community is a bit poor now in WoW, but if you have some friends that would not be a problem then.

But if you want to the Warcraft movie then u can always try it again for 30 days! with all expansions!
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I picked it up recently and am enjoying it.

The questing seems much improved, with a clear effort to reduce the grind. That said, most of the quests still rely on killing X number of Y in the end. The leveling experience is not the best. Unlike SWTOR, where the leveling story mattered to me, in WoW it's not that memorable at all.

I got my character to level 40 through questing and then used the level boost I had. Can't say I regret that decision. The latest expansion is really well polished, the questing is a lot more fun there, the gear you get is viable. You get boosted to 10 levels below the cap, so there still is plenty of questing to be done. Being against power leveling myself, I still do recommend using the boost if you get it for free. Leveling 1-40 felt very bland, probably because you are alone. Leveling the 10 levels to cap, there is always tons of stuff happening (even if you are solo).

Now the dungeon experience has been great for me. I expected a toxic, privileged community. Instead, many people I met through Dungeon Finder were helpful. They gave me advice, were polite, did not roll Need on items they could not use. About 1 in 5 dungeons you get an annoying person for one reason or another. Most groups quickly deal with them and it's a non-issue. It's not all rainbows and unicorns though, in the end people want to clear dungeons efficiently. You don't get time to read dialogues and such. But it's good enough for me - definitely better than majority MMO communities I saw recently.

The dungeon content is limited, so there is repetition. Usually you unlock a dungeon and run it 5-10 times until another one unlocks. I find it akin to Diablo, where you progress through similarly themed content to get better gear. The dungeons take under an hour (sometimes a lot less), so it did not feel like a chore at all. It took me about 5 dungeons to learn the fights anyway.

I have a healing (restoration) Druid. At endgame, I have about 2 hotbars of spells. You do use majority of them actively - perhaps 80% of spells you use through the course of a dungeon. The actual healing cycle is about 4 spells though. I kind of enjoyed EQ2 with 6 hotbars and cycles of 20 spells. If it is a tab targetting game, might as well make the most of it! :lol:  WoW is a bit more conservative and approachable. The nice thing about level boosting is it sends you to a jungle with no spells, where you have to earn them one by one. That way I got to learn my character pretty well.

I think WoW is a nice experience overall. Especially at endgame. Contrary to what I believed, endgame is not only sitting and waiting for raids. There is questing, casual stuff, crafting, garrisons, exploration and hunting named monsters, dungeons, PvP. The last 10 levels are a deep experience on their own, one I definitely recommend.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2016
    laxie said:
    I picked it up recently and am enjoying it.

You are the type of customer AB wants. Someone new.

Activision Blizzard - today - want to leverage their investment (the work that has gone into making WoW) to maximise their profit. Which is fine. Which means cutting back on new investment. So over a year since the last new content; 20+ months with no new content prior to WoD. Doesn't mean the game is bad just means that people have nothing new to look forward to and go play something else.

Like Witcher 3 say. (And no saying the (Bliz) devs are working on the next xpac is not an excuse since that is a paid xpac. No one suggests we paying CD Red devs for Witcher 4 today.) Or Destiny / Division / SW BF / TESO etc. etc. 
    Post edited by gervaise1 on