Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Dungeon Running MMO

JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363
What are you looking for?: PvE focused MMO with emphasis on dungeons and trinity system. Excellent LFG system. Crafting is preferred, but not mandatory. Levelling via quests.

What games have you previously played?: Almost all MMOs, since '98, expect Black Desert.

What is your playstyle (Casual,Semi-Casual,Hardcore)?: Semi-casual

Any preferred mechanics?: Healing, dungeon running

Anything specific you want to exclude?: PVP, pure sandbox MMO, grind.

Notes on the big names:

- WoW: Long gone for me, played too much.
- GW2: Very poor LFG system. No trinity.
- LOTRO: Too dated, also maxed.
- ESO: Poor dungeon content, feels too casual solo.
- TSW: Dislike group content and hate the rotation system.
- FFXIV: maxed every class, I feel I have done everything in that game.

Thanks!

Comments

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Tera still has an insistence on trinity system and is relatively fun. Also define grind or well your definition of grind please because so many people quite literally have different definitions for this stuff from their own personal standpoint. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I have played less and less dungeons in MMOs, they just feel so small nowadays and it is hardly worth it either, you usually gain more in the open world until you hit max level.

I am hoping Pantheon will deliver a better dungeon experience, I have missed that.
  • JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363
    edited May 2016
    linadragon said:
    Tera still has an insistence on trinity system and is relatively fun. Also define grind or well your definition of grind please because so many people quite literally have different definitions for this stuff from their own personal standpoint. 
    Grind for me is the necessity to kill mindlessly mobs to be able to take on a new area or questline. It shows poor levelling design and it's subjectively what is wrong with most asian MMOs.

Great examples of grind games:

AION
    ArcheAge
    FFIX

As for Tera, tried a few classes until level 25 or so, and it felt incredibly boring and repetitive, albeit quite pretty. Disliked the action combat greatly.

Loke666 said:
    I have played less and less dungeons in MMOs, they just feel so small nowadays and it is hardly worth it either, you usually gain more in the open world until you hit max level.

I am hoping Pantheon will deliver a better dungeon experience, I have missed that.
    Good for you, but this doesn't help me find a game for me :)
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Jaldren said:
    linadragon said:
    Grind for me is the necessity to kill mindlessly mobs to be able to take on a new area or questline. It shows poor levelling design and it's subjectively what is wrong with most asian MMOs.

Great examples of grind games:

AION
    ArcheAge
    FFIX

As for Tera, tried a few classes until level 25 or so, and it felt incredibly boring and repetitive, albeit quite pretty. Disliked the action combat greatly.

Loke666 said:

Good for you, but this doesn't help me find a game for me :)
    Maybe (and just putting this out there) you are jaded on the genre or burnt out. Everything seems like it is going to be boring to you. You want a tab target mmorpg that has a good dungeon experience. Frankly there isn't much out there that I'd even sorta consider good outside of the games already played... You sound burnt out somewhat though maybe take a break for awhile and come back when something new comes out. 
    That has been my worry for the past few years. Ever since EQ2 or the beginning of FFXIV I have felt doing menial tasks, repetitive leveling and boring crafting. Either I got old (which is a possibility), or the MMO market has grown in a direction that is not for me.

All I want is a PvE MMO with emphasis on group content and dungeons. Am I asking too much? :(

All games now feel like you have to grind/powerlevel to the level cp to show off your spiky shoulderpads and above-average epeen
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    You try DDO?
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    edited May 2016
    DDO is a decent suggestion.  There's always RIFT, which I think is still going strong.  But, if you are tired of the typical themepark, that may be a lost cause.

To be honest, you already ruled out most of the best options for big PvE MMOs; that is, unless you are willing to buy into an Early Access/"Beta".

I could be wrong, but Blade and Soul is supposed to be pretty heavily group-oriented, I believe.
    DDO: too dated. Tried a few times, something kep pushing me away. Maybe the slow levelling or small community?

RIFT: isn't the game totally dead?

EQ2: completely gone, unfortunately (stared at his capped defiler)

AoC: played before Unchained came out. Had a blast.

Lastly, only released games for me, thanks.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Jaldren said:
    What are you looking for?: PvE focused MMO with emphasis on dungeons and trinity system. Excellent LFG system. Crafting is preferred, but not mandatory. Levelling via quests.

What games have you previously played?: Almost all MMOs, since '98, expect Black Desert.

What is your playstyle (Casual,Semi-Casual,Hardcore)?: Semi-casual

Any preferred mechanics?: Healing, dungeon running

Anything specific you want to exclude?: PVP, pure sandbox MMO, grind.

Notes on the big names:

- WoW: Long gone for me, played too much.
    - GW2: Very poor LFG system. No trinity.
    - LOTRO: Too dated, also maxed.
    - ESO: Poor dungeon content, feels too casual solo.
    - TSW: Dislike group content and hate the rotation system.
    - FFXIV: maxed every class, I feel I have done everything in that game.

Thanks!
    Rift is the way to go man.

Dungeon content is pretty good and adventures are like tiny dungeon snacks to consume.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I can only come up with 2 titles... Dungeons & Dragons online (dated like LotRo, but it has  a very good dungeon system) and Spiral Knights (Japanese and somewhat grindy at higher levels)
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    MMORPGS are pretty much dead at the moment , only ones i can think of that you haven't mentioned are 

Wildstar - boring- somewhat challenging 
    Tera -  fun combat but faceroll 

really isn't any decent mmorpgs for the foreseeable future, finalo fantasy 14 is probably the best mmorpg out at the moment.
    I cant even bring myself to go back to wow unless they make a vanilla server , me and my old guild are waiting to hear from that meeting at blizzard if thats gonna be a thing or not.

Ive gone almost 2 years without a mmorpg now longest time in almost 15 years gone back to wow a few times but that dont last long :dizzy: 

anyway good luck :pleased: 

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I will give you a very simple solution : Dragon Nest. One dungeon after another, dungeon and dungeon and dungeon, that is what the game is about, dungeon crawling. I also love the story of the game but it was not what you asked for i guess.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I will give you a very simple solution : Dragon Nest. One dungeon after another, dungeon and dungeon and dungeon, that is what the game is about, dungeon crawling. I also love the story of the game but it was not what you asked for i guess.
    Agree with jester.

There's Dragon Nest, C9 (Continent of the Ninth), Vindictus etc etc

But they all are "grindy".

I'm not sure you will find a non grindy game with a ton of dungeons.

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Jaldren said:
    DDO: too dated. Tried a few times, something kep pushing me away. Maybe the slow levelling or small community?

RIFT: isn't the game totally dead?

EQ2: completely gone, unfortunately (stared at his capped defiler)

AoC: played before Unchained came out. Had a blast.

Lastly, only released games for me, thanks.

Have you tried Neverwinter?

I'd recommend Baldur's Gate Online but you said that you don't want a game with a small community.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Isn't D&D online basically that exact concept?

You stay sassy!

• gogogo271gogogo271 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Jaldren said:

Sorry but we are in 2016. Now all mmo are made for solo content (no trinity, more solo than group, fast grind, easy game, etc...). I am like you and trust me I looked everywhere, there is nothing out there that can fit you. Our time is done, find something else to do.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    I'd suggest Dungeon Runners, but that's another quality game killed by NCSoft. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Elder Scrolls :awesome: 

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 911
    wait for Riders of icarus..should be around the corner soon

• KiyonoriKiyonori Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I'm gonna say Rift as well. Sounds like everything you're looking for. Also, have you tried swtor?
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    If you don't mind a slightly odd UI and dated graphics, Asheron's Call is pretty great for dingeon running, especially if you hook up with other players and run them together.  I think Morningthaw and Frostfell servers are still decently populated. 

https://www.asheronscall.com/en

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    "All I want is a PvE MMO with emphasis on group content and dungeons. Am I asking too much? "

Yep.  Anytime you encourage group content, people cry about "forced grouping". 

That being said, most MMO endgames do have an emphasis on group content and dungeons.  You just usually have to grind a few hundred quests to get there (nowadays this takes about 3 days in most games if you work for it).

But yeah, a grindless group-focused dungeon-runner MMO.  Good luck.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I'd suggest Dungeon Runners, but that's another quality game killed by NCSoft. 
    Dungeon runners was a terrible game and wasnt ready for release .. Never should of been out ... And the reason it shut down so promptly