Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oculus Tech sources

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
edited May 2016 in Hardware
So first Zenimak accussed Oculus Rift of using its tech to create The Rift.

Now, despite DK1 existing and DK2 existing long before CV1 exists Valve employee is claiming that 'Oculus Rift is a product of Valve research' well actually its just the CV1 that the employee was refering to and its just one tech in the CV1 which really doesnt qualify as 'a product of'

http://en.yibada.com/articles/126674/20160526/oculus-rift-vr-valve.htm
Oculus Rift update, news: Valve employee claims Oculus Rift is a product of Valve research; Valve-Oculus issues due to Facebook?

well at least the VR wars have now begun

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Copying core features and duplicating essential technological capabilities is not the same as copying a product.  All this is saying is that Rift used the early concepts of VR, as they were being researched by Valve.  The split in the VR market has nothing to do with this pathetic attempt to discredit Oculus.  The split is purely based on Oculus attempting to build a closed ecosystem and prevent other capable headsets from playing games designed for the Oculus.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Here's an article that explains the "rift" between Valve and Facebook/Oculus.  http://uploadvr.com/valve-shared-vr-oculus/

Here’s what Yates wrote on Reddit:

…Oculus has their own CV-based tracking implementation and fresnel lens design but the CV1 is otherwise a direct copy of the architecture of the 1080p Steam Sight prototype Valve lent Oculus when we installed a copy of the “Valve Room” at their headquarters. I would call Oculus the first SteamVR licensee, but history will likely record a somewhat different term for it…

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited May 2016
    observer said:
    Here's an article that explains the "rift" between Valve and Facebook/Oculus.  http://uploadvr.com/valve-shared-vr-oculus/

Here’s what Yates wrote on Reddit:

…Oculus has their own CV-based tracking implementation and fresnel lens design but the CV1 is otherwise a direct copy of the architecture of the 1080p Steam Sight prototype Valve lent Oculus when we installed a copy of the “Valve Room” at their headquarters. I would call Oculus the first SteamVR licensee, but history will likely record a somewhat different term for it…

but again.

explain DK1 and DK2. which is what I said in my post. Both the DK1 and the DK2 came out years before CV1. In fact I say it in the second line of my post

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    syntax42 said:
    Copying core features and duplicating essential technological capabilities is not the same as copying a product.  All this is saying is that Rift used the early concepts of VR, as they were being researched by Valve.  The split in the VR market has nothing to do with this pathetic attempt to discredit Oculus.  The split is purely based on Oculus attempting to build a closed ecosystem and prevent other capable headsets from playing games designed for the Oculus.
    The problem is that this is NOT what the employee said Both the DK1 and the DK2 of the Oculus Rift came out YEARS before the CV1 did. All this employee is talking about is one feature that exists in the CV1 which happened years after 'the Rift' was already a 'thing' I thought I went into detail on this in my OP.