Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any mmorpg similar to rpgs?

ricsi046ricsi046 Member UncommonPosts: 34
I mean something not wow-like,where you don't have to rush to lvl cap to enjoy the game.Where the lvling part has a much bigger role.And not just brainless grinding,questing.A good story would be nice.

My favourite rpg is gothic,something similar would be nice.

Comments

• NorthernHermitNorthernHermit Member UncommonPosts: 35
    edited May 2016
    If you like retro style try Fantasy Tales Online at steam :D
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Village and Heroes Reborn.
    You can expect a MMO that have similarities like WoW, but with more meaningful crafting system and ability to own a house space. Your crafted weapon will also influences your skillset because every weapon have it's own skill.

Eldevin.
    It's more like RuneScape 2007, but it's free. Well, some features maybe feel a little underwhelm in comparison with RS, but it's worth a try.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • rainmournrainmourn Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Elder Scrolls Online. It's similar to the Elder Scrolls rpgs, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, but with other players in the world.

I'm still a low level after quite some time, because I enjoy exploring, being a sneak thief, finding treasure, crafting, gathering materials, learning recipes and putting extra stuff on the guild trader for sale.

I can't think of a game that fits the RPG as MMO model better. The devs have even called it an RPG that's online as opposed to the standard massive multiplayer game.

It's buy once to play, no subscription needed, although I like to support the game that way.
  • Temp0Temp0 Member UncommonPosts: 92
    DMKano said:
    rainmourn said:
    Elder Scrolls Online. It's similar to the Elder Scrolls rpgs, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, but with other players in the world.

I'm still a low level after quite some time, because I enjoy exploring, being a sneak thief, finding treasure, crafting, gathering materials, learning recipes and putting extra stuff on the guild trader for sale.

I can't think of a game that fits the RPG as MMO model better. The devs have even called it an RPG that's online as opposed to the standard massive multiplayer game.

It's buy once to play, no subscription needed, although I like to support the game that way.

I guess opinions vary - for me ESO really shines in PvP - the PvE side did not feel like an RPG at all - it felt nothing like Morrowind, or Skyrim because everything is level gated and not free to go and do anything as you please in whatever order you please.

Questing in ESO feels very much on rails - you go from region to region all gated by levels to max level - it's very much like how themepark MMOs have region locked progression by levels. 1-10 fight in this area, then 10-15 - go here, than 15-20 fight here... etc. It's linear, it's gated it's a themepark design.

Leveling to max was not a fun experience for me in ESO - it was one of those - just want to get it over with so I can PvP

But then again I abhor questing so... there's that.

Not that I disagree about ESO having a more quest hub like leveling structure than the mainline series, but Oblivion is really the only elder scrolls game that your description holds true to (because it is the only one that has a universal scaling system). In morrowind I believe enemies don't scale at all meaning some areas you just are going to die (unless you cheese/cheat in some way) and skyrim while it had scaling it had scaling brackets which meant that some areas could have monsters too tough for you to reasonably handle if the floor of its bracket was still higher level than you were.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Well if PVP interests you than there are some epic times ahead.

I think Darkfall is the funnest that the MMORPG market has to offer right now.

Right now Unholy Wars is live and its the most fleshed out version of the game.. designed to cater to more people than the first one. Its not very populated right now but there is still always someone online to play with in my alliance.

Rise of Agon will be launching soon and it is basically the original game relaunched! Definitely worth playing the launch of this game because the noob PVP at the starting areas will be so fun!! It will be the best time to sneak into another races lands and check out there nooby areas and hopefully take home some gear that you loot from someone. Beyond the first month or two it will get a lot harder as people unlock more skills. The end game is extremely challenging but rewarding.

After that yet another Darkfall launch, Darkfall New Dawn, is expanding upon the first one creating a localized bank, trading routes on land and sea.. again if you are a PVPer you don't want to miss this launch as well. It seems that this game will try and keep the racial wars active for as long as possible which is cool.

If you want meaningful PVP in an open world without a grind its best to play a games launch if it has nooby PVP optional. The launch of a game only comes once. Don't miss out on these!

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117

[[Can't quote but this is in response to the "ESO is similar to Morrowind" (paraphrased) statement.]]

Morrowind had such cool systems! Skills, factions, housing and dialogue come to mind off the top of my head. Normal RPG/almost every MMORPG has like two or three outcomes from talking to an NPC: "accept quest"/"refuse quest"/"pick a fight" or something like that. Dialogue options constitute a list of maybe 1-5 options but they all lead you to one of the few possible dialogue conclusions. Morrowind had a dialogue system where, through speaking to NPCs, you'd (your character) learn new discussion topics, these topics could then be used for other NPCs to get them to talk about stuff they previously had not been able to.

The more your character had seen and heard about the world, the more you'd be able to discuss with NPCs. The information gained through this was cool, interesting and useful. Since there was no (or very little) voice acting the NPCs could provide large amounts of dialogue that you could consume at your own reading speed. Combine this dialogue system with a journal (searchable by those dialogue topics!), no quest markers, no quest tracker, no quest XP and a large, wonderfully crafted world with plenty of secrets and you had something amazing.

I've played no other game with a system like that, although they might exist. It's a long way from there to Skyrim's or Fallout 4's awful cutscene-like system which makes me want to just click past the sloooow pointless voice acted lines to get to the point and go do the stupid kill quest. And then I uninstall and play some Morrowind instead.

And dialogue is just one of the awesome things in Morrowind which I decided to use as an example. Morrowind to me has more of what I want from an MMORPG than ESO. It just lacks multiplayer functionality and a server. I'd love an MMORPG that is like Morrowind but, to me, ESO isn't it.

Obviously the above describes my own thoughts about and feelings toward the mentioned games and I am not under the illusion that everyone else looks for the same things I do in computer gaming, nor that they should. To each their own.