Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG truly a dying genre

Comments

• FFFGFFFG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    FFFG said:
    FFFG said:
    Distopia said:
    Viper482 said:
    FFFG said:
    Wrong the old school bitter mmo vet is a dying breed.  Truthfully I think that is a good thing.  You guys have been left in the dust the fact today we have more people playing mmos then ever before and the fact we have more mmos to choose from then ever before pretty much destroy your doom and gloom rant...my advice to you OP is move on this isn't a battle (well you are fighting alone as developers clearly could care less about those like you) you can win...facts just aren't on your side.
    What facts are those? That gamers like you actually like this crap they try to call MMORPG's today? The fact is you have no clue what a true MMORPG is all about and what makes it great. We "old school bitter vets" are bitter. Because we had a genre we enjoyed, it was niche, but it was ours. Now devs cater to the masses of people like you willing to take some cheap experience you will play here and there and move on. Probably spend hundreds of dollars in the cash shop while you are at it. They love you and yours, which is why they will continue to put out this Asian MMO cash grab crap until you get bored and move on to some other genre.

You are right, developers don't care about us, but do you think they care about you? You are a big fat money sack with bones to them, nothing more. They hear $$$$$cha-ching$$$$$ when they see you coming. So spare me the condescending remarks about us as if you are somehow the superior one here.
    Calm down....

What about folks like myself who experienced both, can enjoy both old and new and have accepted shit in life changes? I can tell you one thing, it's better than being bitter and getting this angry over the topic.
    Maintaining your outlook is great. You have shown your patience and acceptance of change for quite some time now. But I just want to ask.......Do you miss games like SWG or has your adaptation to the "new" taken away the desire to play in such a virtual world?
    FYI a lot of people didnt enjoy SWG and in no way look at SWG other than a failed mmorpg...
    The question was directed @Distopia  because I know he played that game specifically. It was a tailored example not meant for anyone else.
    If you get angry when people reply to something that was "tailored" for only one person I suggested you use the PM feature. 
    I am extremely thankful you are here to make such suggestions.
    No problem I'll keep an eye out for you and let you know when you could use some more suggestions.  
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2016
    FFFG said:

I am extremely thankful you are here to make such suggestions.
    No problem I'll keep an eye out for you and let you know when you could use some more suggestions.  
    HEh, could you guys cut my name out, I keep getting notifications about you "mentioning" me :P..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The MMORPG is not "dying", it has simply lost its dominant position in online gaming, a position it attained by pure coincidence.

When UO and EQ arrived on the scene, the majority of gamers weren't playing MMO's, they were playing SPG's like Warcraft, Command & Conquer and Doom.

RP'ers had a field day in those early MMORPG's, the games were virtually made for them.

But as the online audience grew, the new arrivals found they didn't much like "classic MMORPG's", and so the metamorphosis of the online game began.

Soon the majority of online gamers were demanding that online games be made according to their preferences, and so the drift toward "instant action" and "instanced gaming" started...
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Soon the majority of online gamers were demanding that online games be made according to their preferences, and so the drift toward "instant action" and "instanced gaming" started...
    I don't think most care enough about mmorpg to demand anything. They just respond to the games. If a dev makes a game catered a little more to the dominant preferences, more people will play. That is it.

Clearly people like MOBAs and shooters, and if mmorpgs want that part of the market, be more like those games. Or they can just cater to a smaller market. It is the developers' choice. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I solved "the problem".  I found one MMORPG that I really, really enjoy, and I play it extensively and exclusively.

Fortunately the company is on sound financial ground, regularly adds new content, and seems likely to be around for the next 10 years.

Something new and good is bound to come around by then, don't you think?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited May 2016
    Kyleran said:
    I solved "the problem".  I found one MMORPG that I really, really enjoy, and I play it extensively and exclusively.

Fortunately the company is on sound financial ground, regularly adds new content, and seems likely to be around for the next 10 years.

Hmm facts don't seem to agree with your comments...can't say I'm surprised though.  

Seems like they have been struggling since 2014

http://evenews24.com/2014/08/28/ccp-financial-report-shutting-down-san-francisco-office-layoffs-and-losses/

And then in 2015 they went dark in financial information.  

https://www.themittani.com/news/ccp-goes-dark-company-financials

Sorry to ruin your parade with facts....
    edited May 2016
    FFFG said:

Seems like they have been struggling since 2014

Because CCP is a one-trick pony. They wasted tons of money on Dust 514, and that scrapped vampire game. 

I wonder how long CCP can survive on a 13 year old game. 
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited May 2016
    MMOs are doing fine.  Considering the low failure rate of MMOs (actual failure) compared to other video games, investing in developing MMOs is probably the safest investment you could make.  MMOs considered failures by us are actually still making money.  Very few developed MMOs ever lose money overall.

That being said I think much more can be done both with the genre of MMOs and with online gaming in general.  The future is still wide open, and technology continues to advance at a fast pace.

The main thing MMOs need is ingenuity.  Thankfully, the "themepark wow-clone" horse seems to have been beaten to death and then to a pulp after death.  I think the next big release- Asta- is another of them, but it's not doing so great.

The time is ripe for new big ideas, so I'm looking forward to seeing what Devs come up with.  Also the budding kickstarter movement may produce a few gems.  Time will tell.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Kyleran said:
    ...for the next 10 years.

Dunno, ask the people fleeing WoW. Or the ones that fled EQ, ten years earlier.

A lot of them sound like they've grown pretty tired of waiting.
    Kyleran said:
    ...for the next 10 years.

Dunno, ask the people fleeing WoW. Or the ones that fled EQ, ten years earlier.

A lot of them sound like they've grown pretty tired of waiting.
    What about the ones fleeing Eve? 
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Failed.  Hmm and yet more and more games are coming out that have  at least some kind of multiplayer online capability.  Interesting. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Horusra said:
    Problem is not the genre it is the tech and cost of tech to bring the innovation you seem to want.  Right now MMO'S are in a PVP death spiral that we have to wait for a bottom till good PVE MMO'S can return.
    I have to wholeheartedly agree with this post.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Failed.  Hmm and yet more and more games are coming out that have  at least some kind of multiplayer online capability.  Interesting. 
    Yep more and more MOGs are coming out (Multiplayer Online Games).

But MOGs are not MMORPGs, IMHO if you are spending more than 50% of your play time in an instance with a few other players you are in fact playing a MOG. MOBAs are obviously MOGs by this definition, but even the likes of WoW and EQ2 have become MOGs over time. Actual  MMORPGs are very rare these days.

They are truly a dying breed.
  • luminyeluminye Member UncommonPosts: 4
    MMOs are not dying, what is happening is that with tablets and cellphones there is more apps to play with. Not everyone has computers for to play MMOs, as they cannot afford it. I think there is a chance once people can afford to buy pcs they slowly draw interest to play other games than apps.

I also think because the Main MMO Companies have been scratching their heads as what a true MMO is needed to keep people interested. Once they figure that out, there be more opportunity to play for people. I am for the positive future of MMOs and other Virtual Worlds that will connect people and give them opportunity to make money as well. As all money is now electronic for the most part, it would open doors for people to work at some of these platforms. I know for a fact, that there are some games that already support that.
  • RIG4REDRIG4RED Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Failed, not exactly.

MMOs simply have not innovated since 2005 (World of Warcraft). Theme parks made massive amounts of money which identifies the genre's demand.

What we are currently facing is a lull.

We the players expect non-instanced, open worlds with dynamic NPC populations who's AI is advanced enough to live, breed, build, like, dislike, war, defend, ect... This technology isn't quite there so the industry is doing its best to fill in the gaps, but unfortunately they are not living up to our expectations.

I believe the MMO will make a huge come back when AI is realistic and the server/network infrastructure is powerful enough to sustain a living, breathing world. Our expectations will be realized.

This is a billion dollar venture. A kickstarter won't suffice.
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    sweet, an original post with facts to back it up. 
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    spikers14 said:
    sweet, an original post with facts to back it up. 
    Sarcasm RULES!

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

That being said I think much more can be done both with the genre of MMOs and with online gaming in general.  

Already done. Shooters, hybrid MMOs, MOBAs, card games .. online games are flourishing.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    This thread topic is crazy talk.

There are two other separate threads right now that assures the rest of us that:

eSports will replace football where gamers, i mean, eAthletes will date supermodels and make millions.

Older MMORPGs sucked and the players are irrelevant. That modern MMORPGs are better because ditching a new MMORPG within a month is better than retaining 250K dedicated, long-term paying subs.

OP is a madman.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Not sure mmorpg's are dying they just have a confused identity crisis. You Have Card games, RP games, FPS, RTS, Turn based, Simulations, Sports, MMODGs and Social. I'm sure I forgot something. The point I'm making is there is so many choices (Niche games), players are just spread out. Games that have population problems are understandable. So many choices it is hard for people to stay loyal to a single game unless it is really really great.

• BluemazeBluemaze Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Lobo, I am an old gamer who couldn't agree with you more. MMO's are my favorite genre. Having played UO, EQ, WoW, SWG, etc and lots more, I have been so critical of many new MMO's and won't buy them because they don't advance the genre. I had TOTALLY lost faith that any company could do better....
    Then one day someone restored that faith....
    Jeremy Walsh from Chronicles of Elyria.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Not sure mmorpg's are dying they just have a confused identity crisis. You Have Card games, RP games, FPS, RTS, Turn based, Simulations, Sports, MMODGs and Social. I'm sure I forgot something. The point I'm making is there is so many choices (Niche games), players are just spread out. Games that have population problems are understandable. So many choices it is hard for people to stay loyal to a single game unless it is really really great.
    Yes there are a lot of MOGs out there, you have quite a list, there are more types of course.  But none of them are MMORPGs, which as the OP said are dying out.

MOG = Multiplayer Online Game 
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Another bitter EQ1 or UO vet announcing the genre is dead?  How many does that make for this month?
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    reeereee said:
    Another bitter EQ1 or UO vet announcing the genre is dead?  How many does that make for this month?
    Care to share which game you are playing and for how long?
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    NorseGod said:
    reeereee said:
    Care to share which game you are playing and for how long?
    Just finished two pretty great months with BDO.  FFA PvP is not something I'm remotely interested in.  I was able to overlook that for a while because the other elements in the game were great but eventually it got to be too much.  If they had made a PvE server I would still be playing.

Looking forward to going back to WoW in a  few months for the new expansion been playing that game on and off since launch. 

Probably going to subscribe to SWTOR in a few days and catch up on the story there.

Currently playing Blade and Soul and gw2.

Oh wait, was that how long comment asking about my old school cred?