Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the most evolutionary game you've ever played?

DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
Of all the games you've played in your life - which game would you pick as the one that took gaming forward the most, whether within the genre or overall?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Meridian 59... Easily, was years before it's time and all themeparks still builds on it.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Of course I'm coming from a personal perspective but I think its was, "Wing Commander Three 'heart of the tiger'. Which I believe came out in 1994. That game changed my entire outlook on PC gaming and was extremely polished for the time period.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Can think of a few, but the main ones

championship manager 93 , this game changed the way that sports sims should be developed, in the football genre nothing had got even close to this game, the realism in the fact you had real players, real squads, as the game developed and changed in football manager the game has just become the standard for all sports sims.

EvE - This is how MMO should be done, forget the newbie friendly bore fest it has become, the pre 2010 EvE was a beast of game, no love for mistakes, no gifts on a plate, you had to earn everything, regardless of what people think of eve this has moved the MMO genre on, and to this day 13 years after release there still is nothing close to eve in terms of space MMOs. 
    The way the game changed directly from player inputs etc, devs used to listen to playres etc... it still ground breaking in some aspects, but sadly whilst not quite on life support the doctor is looking at its case notes (yes i still play daily and still love it, but im very fearful for its future)

I think you would also to consider Sid Meyes behemoth civilisation for the way it changed turn based pc games.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    DKLond said:
    Of all the games you've played in your life - which game would you pick as the one that took gaming forward the most, whether within the genre or overall?
    around 2008 I would say Darkfall
    around this era I would say Kerbal Space Program or Space Engineers

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    SEANMCAD said:
    DKLond said:
    Forgot about Kerbal Space Program. Awesome game for sure.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    UO

AC

AO

in that order ................../threadend
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    edited May 2016
    Final Fantasy 7 - I was playing super Mario games up until that point, I as a little kid walked by a video playing looped gameplay videos-which should STILL BE THE WAY you buy games at the mall anyway. It hooked me watching the first boss fight go down and changed the direction my life took.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DKLond said:

Multiplayer and networking both separately and together.    Think of Mazewar and various PLATO games.  Always loved the wireframe of mazewar.  MUDS were a big deal to me.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

SEANMCAD said:
    DKLond said:
    I put it on the map because it prooves a game can be highly engaging and exciting and not be a murder simulator and even educate all at the same time. Not that I am morally against murder simulators just that its over done.

• entropyratentropyrat Member UncommonPosts: 19
    The most evolutionary game I've ever played? That's easy.

E.V.O.: Search For Eden
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Tribes -  The first game that lived and died without a PvE environment, no single player or co-op mode; Multiplayer PvP was the only thing!

City of Heroes - The first MMORPG that was dedicated to superheroing.  It brought in so many innovations I can't even list them, although I will mention the Character Creator, the very well defined (verses blurred hybrids) ATs, and I believe the first MMORPG where you could reliably calculate your abilities, something number guys like me really appreciated!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    DKLond said:
    I put it on the map because it prooves a game can be highly engaging and exciting and not be a murder simulator and even educate all at the same time. Not that I am morally against murder simulators just that its over done.
    Like the Sims or SimCity or City Skylines. Agreed. Kerbal is a great game.
    however, I would not consider any of those games as exiting or engaging which is why I make it different.

You know in combat you have the 'action pack I gotta get this right or oh crap by balz are really going to hurt' kinda feeling. you get that in kerbal, you dont get it in sims or the others. that is why I feel is different in what its 'prooving'

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Adventure
    Zelda
    Super Mario 64
    Far Cry. Far Cry really brought emergent gameplay to the shooter genre in a way no series did before it. Shooters were mostly on rails until Far Cry blew open what could be done in a single player shooter. Sure Half Life brought story to the shooter genre but Far Cry brought the emergent gameplay and brought the open world and great AI with amazing graphics.
     Almost every shooter moving forward from FC tips it's hat to the series.
    There were several that I wouldnt call on rails however to be fair they were all 'arenas' but in a very large map so not sure the qualifier in that case

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Golden Eye on N64. Got me addicted to multiplayer, haven't played too many single-player games since.
    Gymrat313 said:
    Golden Eye on N64. Got me addicted to multiplayer, haven't played too many single-player games since.
    interesting because I played that game as well and I really really really did not like it.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

Like the Sims or SimCity or City Skylines. Agreed. Kerbal is a great game.
    however, I would not consider any of those games as exiting or engaging which is why I make it different.

You know in combat you have the 'action pack I gotta get this right or oh crap by balz are really going to hurt' kinda feeling. you get that in kerbal, you dont get it in sims or the others. that is why I feel is different in what its 'prooving'
    Paradox showed City Skylines being used as an educational tool for urban planning in their last live Stream. There is a whole documentary on how it is being used as a learning tool for city planners all over the world right now. So for the game to move beyond the realm of entertainment and into the educational and institutional setting it should be noted and applauded for a game that highly engaging and exciting for those who use it in that capacity.
    I am not saying the game is not educational.

let me try it this way

kerbal
    1. educational
    2. engaging heart pounding exciting, watch your blood pressure its about to pop because if you screw up at the wrong time its going to be a big deal

Sim CIty
    1. educational
    2. engaging

got it?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    SEANMCAD said:
    Gymrat313 said:
    interesting because I played that game as well and I really really really did not like it.
    I was just becoming a teenager at the time and didn't have access to a lot of games or even my own system at the time. Perhaps it was your age, as I understand it you are quite a bit older than me(32 here).
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited May 2016
    World of Warcraft !!!

/ waits to dodge torrent of rotten tomatoes
    / incoming!

but in all seriousness, EVE Online has brought something that everyone still wants, an emergent online living world, even if it has its drawbacks and is only a spreadsheet game. If someone made a medieval fantasy MMO like EVE online it would be really awesome. Also it needs a big budget, not some kickstarter trash pipe dream.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:
    Paradox showed City Skylines being used as an educational tool for urban planning in their last live Stream. There is a whole documentary on how it is being used as a learning tool for city planners all over the world right now. So for the game to move beyond the realm of entertainment and into the educational and institutional setting it should be noted and applauded for a game that highly engaging and exciting for those who use it in that capacity.

I am not saying the game is not educational.

let me try it this way

kerbal
    1. educational
    2. engaging heart pounding exciting, watch your blood pressure its about to pop because if you screw up at the wrong time its going to be a big deal

Sim CIty
    1. educational
    2. engaging

got it?
    This is not the thread for this. Hijacking a thread over your idea of engaging and someone else is futile.
    Cheers!
    I wasnt as clear the first time I mentioned the game so my bad. I just wanted to clarify why I think its an important game in ways that the Sims series is not because its an important point. Regarding hijacking read my signature